New Skin Contest Poll! Vote for PMC's February Contest Theme

Happybandaid's Avatar Happybandaid2/3/12 9:29 pm
1 emeralds 3.8k 159
2/8/2012 1:38 am
Happybandaid's Avatar Happybandaid
Cyprezz wants U!

Just a little picture I whipped up for you guys. ;)

Hey guys! Happybandaid here, bringing you the latest poll so you guys can vote on what theme you want to skin or see the most! The poll will end on the 7th.

Feel free to ask any questions about the themes, contests, etc here.

Have fun! :]

- Hband

Mythical Figures and Beasts must be a creature or person from ancient historical myth or legend. No book/movie characters.

Made-up Superheroes and Original Supervillains means they have to be 100% designed by you, no pre-existing superheroes/supervillains like Superman/The Joker. Create your own!

Cyberpunk is a science fiction genre focused on "high tech and low life," advanced science such as cybernetics, hackers, artificial intelligences, megacorporations, technology used in unexpected ways and tends to be set in a near-future Earth, which has gone through a breakdown of cultural and social decay. Much of the genre's atmosphere echoes film noir and detective fiction.

"Classic cyberpunk characters were marginalized, alienated loners who lived on the edge of society in generally dystopic futures where daily life was impacted by rapid technological change, an ubiquitous datasphere of computerized information, and invasive modification of the human body." – Lawrence Person

"Cyber" was derived from cybernetics, a control theory that studies, for example, human/machine interaction and is often used in connection with information technology. "Punk" was taken from from punk rock music, suggesting an urban anti-establishment sensibility.

Cyberpunk is a form of speculative fiction that deals with a high-technology future. Cyberpunk is almost never happy, and usually leaves the reader in a 'life sucks' mood. . Cyberpunk is a warning as to what might happen in the future.

Films that deal with cyberpunk theme: (please help me with more examples this is all i could think of xD)

-Blade Runner
-Johnny Mnemonic
-The Matrix

Cyberpunk is about expressing (often dark) ideas about human nature, technology and their respective combination in the near future

In summary, think about what technology would be like in the near future, but the future is also bleak and terrible with social disorder.

Sources: The internet.

Poll ended 02/08/2012 9:29 pm.

Happybandaid
Retired Moderator
Level 44 : Master Scribe

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/08/2012 1:38 am
Happybandaid
Break the norms, think outside the box, this contest will be the most challenging yet...or will it?
02/08/2012 1:31 am
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Elf
Exurbia
I'm the only one who has done a Phoenix so far, I think. :3
02/08/2012 1:24 am
Level 53 : Grandmaster Zombie
PravoEffect
This contest is really lacking originality...
I've reported around 10 stolen skins.
And there is an overload of cyclops that are being submitted. Very dissappointing.
02/07/2012 5:23 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Hero
sed11
OK it started XD didn't notice.
It seems there's 2 contests that have begun but one's not a skin contest.
02/07/2012 6:44 pm
Level 45 : Master Batman
DrThresh
Nothing wrong with multiple contests going to tend to the wider audience.
02/07/2012 5:21 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Batman
Cid_of_Lufenia
sed11
Trollnyanguy View Cthulhu

mines Cthulhu does it count as mythical?

Um I think you should've waiting until the contest started because last time skins posted before were not allowed I think XD

It says the contest started but I dunno removed the link just in case
02/07/2012 5:20 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Hero
sed11
Trollnyanguy View Cthulhu

Um I think you should've waiting until the contest started because last time skins posted before were not allowed I think XD
02/07/2012 5:19 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Batman
Cid_of_Lufenia
View Cthulhu
02/07/2012 4:11 pm
PravoEffect
Are we allowed to start posting contest skins?
02/07/2012 7:14 pm
Level 63 : High Grandmaster Hero
Jackie1st
Yep the contest is now live
02/07/2012 3:48 am
Level 28 : Expert Prince
Bidoduff
Its gonna end soon (the poll)
02/06/2012 9:51 pm
Happybandaid
Just to clarify, guys, Mythical Figures and Beasts must be a creature or person from ancient historical myth or legend.

No book/movie characters...although that might be a good idea for a future contest.
02/07/2012 3:13 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Skinner
CinnamonBunKid
That means I can use my idea! I have 2 ideas though... One is original that I believe NO ONE else will use. But the other will be so sickkkk. :/
02/06/2012 8:58 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Skinner
Heavendragon
what's cyberpunK?
02/06/2012 9:03 pm
Level 63 : High Grandmaster Hero
Jackie1st

Cyberpunk is a science fiction genre focused on "high tech and low life," advanced science such as cybernetics, hackers, artificial intelligences, megacorporations, technology used in unexpected ways and tends to be set in a near-future Earth, which has gone through a breakdown of cultural and social decay. Much of the genre's atmosphere echoes film noir and detective fiction.

"Classic cyberpunk characters were marginalized, alienated loners who lived on the edge of society in generally dystopic futures where daily life was impacted by rapid technological change, an ubiquitous datasphere of computerized information, and invasive modification of the human body." – Lawrence Person

"Cyber" was derived from cybernetics, a control theory that studies, for example, human/machine interaction and is often used in connection with information technology. "Punk" was taken from from punk rock music, suggesting an urban anti-establishment sensibility.

Cyberpunk is a form of speculative fiction that deals with a high-technology future. Cyberpunk is almost never happy, and usually leaves the reader in a 'life sucks' mood. . Cyberpunk is a warning as to what might happen in the future.

Films that deal with cyberpunk theme: (please help me with more examples this is all i could think of xD)

-Blade Runner
-Johnny Mnemonic
-The Matrix

Cyberpunk is about expressing (often dark) ideas about human nature, technology and their respective combination in the near future

In summary, think about what technology would be like in the near future, but the future is also bleak and terrible with social disorder.

Sources: The internet.
02/06/2012 8:51 pm
PravoEffect
I already have the perfect idea. It's going to be awesome
02/06/2012 8:09 pm
CinnamonBunKid
If mythical heroes from old myths counts then I would switch my vote in a heartbeat. By old heroes I mean like Hercules or something.
02/06/2012 9:04 pm
CinnamonBunKid
I should have rephrased this as can I submit heroes lol
02/06/2012 8:01 pm
Level 23 : Expert Archer
Saltash
Made up superheros!
02/06/2012 7:54 pm
Happybandaid
forro34
fishpopMythical Figures and Beasts will win I bet all my pmc exp

Of course they will, that's obvious

Sneeze7yeah ive been researching quite a bit myself, i started last contest when it almost was winning, so i had gathered some ideas and im going to try to execute them :3 77

But i think concept is really simple if you just look around on teh interwebz a bit.

Well I have mine so I'm happy when it wins

Btw... Will I be allowed to submit a character that isn't really mythical, but rather from a book? I think the character has appeared (not more than one or two times...) in other lore, but I can't find it... :/

PM me and I'll tell you if it will be allowed. =)
02/06/2012 7:53 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc146564
[deleted]
02/06/2012 7:13 pm
Level 26 : Expert Nerd
ParkouringPanda
Made up superheroes better win... I've already got a big background story for a villian I made up called Edge of Oblivion! Along with Edge of Oblivion, I made up the hero for it.
02/06/2012 5:42 pm
Level 41 : Master Sweetheart
Kat
I think they should of put a valentine's thing on there but then i would feel mostly embarres to wear such a thing,
02/06/2012 2:35 pm
Level 27 : Expert Robot
svdragster
Vote for Robots
Lots of AI will invade the servers
02/06/2012 2:26 pm
Level 20 : Expert Pokemon
nekrosader
Mythical creatures and beasts That's kind of my area of art and stuff, when It's not pokemon or wolves xD
02/06/2012 2:21 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Archer
MCvipond1
I think I know what I'll do if Mythical Creatures wins.
02/06/2012 2:14 pm
Level 41 : Master Pegasus
fishpop
Mythical Figures and Beasts will win I bet all my pmc exp
02/06/2012 2:19 pm
Level 44 : Master Engineer
forro34
Of course they will, that's obvious

Sneeze7yeah ive been researching quite a bit myself, i started last contest when it almost was winning, so i had gathered some ideas and im going to try to execute them :3 77

But i think concept is really simple if you just look around on teh interwebz a bit.

Well I have mine so I'm happy when it wins

Btw... Will I be allowed to submit a character that isn't really mythical, but rather from a book? I think the character has appeared (not more than one or two times...) in other lore, but I can't find it... :/
02/06/2012 2:09 pm
forro34
Now, I already did some "research" on the topic of mythical beings and while I was going down the (endless...) list of said creatures, I took notice to the fact that almost every beast that would be interesting as a skin has either already been made, closely resembles some other one or is practically impossible to effectively show the specific details in a skin.
Yes, there are exceptions, but if you take into account that there will be at least 1500 submissions, you can't possibly expect loads of originality, can you?

That is just my opinion, please state your own.
02/06/2012 2:15 pm
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Hero
Sneeze7
yeah ive been researching quite a bit myself, i started last contest when it almost was winning, so i had gathered some ideas and im going to try to execute them :3 77

02/06/2012 2:05 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Pony
Arbiter_3
I voted for servicemen, for me of course :3, but if Mythical Creatures wins... I know what i'm making...
02/06/2012 1:54 pm
Level 21 : Expert Artist
Ug3tpwned
Mythical creatures would definitely bring alot of competition and creativity to this contest, but I would rather see the made up super heroes and villains due to the 100% chance of practically no one having the same idea except maybe on the rare coincidental occasion where maybe around 5 skins may have similar features... but I'm ok with any of these categories and would gladly participate in any of them.
02/06/2012 1:42 pm
forro34
ZaphodX
Grats on your goal, but you didn't really make a point. I'm just encouraging people to vote for mythical creatures to improve the quality of the contest and the great skins that will come out of it.

It just sounded like you denied (and still deny) the mere possibility that some other users may be right and Made-up Superheroes (and/or Cyberpunk) would be more creative and interesting than the other themes available for voting.

I posted with exactly that in mind, so it was fitting that I quoted that specific rule.
02/06/2012 1:03 pm
Level 40 : Master Network
ZaphodX
forro34
ZaphodXVote for mythical creatures. For the sake of the competition guys.

Site rules5: DIFFERENCES OF OPINION
Each person is just as entitled to their opinion as you are your own...

Personal goal achieved:
Answer by quoting official rules.

Grats on your goal, but you didn't really make a point. I'm just encouraging people to vote for mythical creatures to improve the quality of the contest and the great skins that will come out of it.
02/06/2012 12:15 pm
Level 40 : Master Network
ZaphodX
Vote for mythical creatures. For the sake of the competition guys.
02/06/2012 12:30 pm
forro34
Site rules5: DIFFERENCES OF OPINION
Each person is just as entitled to their opinion as you are your own...

Personal goal achieved:
Answer by quoting official rules.
02/06/2012 12:17 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Cake
CalPal_
^agreed
02/06/2012 11:59 am
Level 41 : Master Poro
Danifix123
The poll is jumping around like crazy!! First West wins then Cyber now Mythical!

What Next!?......What last!?
02/06/2012 9:20 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Architect
bedmen
vote for super heroes
02/06/2012 6:51 am
forro34
The research is killing me... I've found this website and now I'm just going through the list (3083 beasts!) to find an idea... :/ I've spent like 3 hours on this already!
02/06/2012 7:05 am
Happybandaid
Cool website! Remember, it's also recommended to add your creativity make your own version of something. And even getting into a Wikipedia loop of mythical creatures and figures, you'll learn about a lot of new and unexpected things! =) It's super fun.

There's so much out there! Just pick a cool one which inspires you or which you just like and go with it.

Good luck, y'all.
02/06/2012 6:47 am
Happybandaid
As we've said before, it's up to you to be original in the genre if you want to get a good score. :3

If you think dwarves, unicorns, mermaids, dragons, etc. are common skins...break the norm, and find something more interesting to base your skin off of. =)

A little research goes a long way.
02/06/2012 6:14 am
Happybandaid
Good discussions on here guys, keep it up and keep it lively.

One more day till the contests go up! Oops, did I say "contests"?
02/06/2012 6:40 am
forro34
Contests??? :O You're not really implying there are going to be several, are you?!

BTW. Why is everyone picking mythical creatures and beasts? Aren't skin contests supposed to be about bringing new ideas to skin makers, making them create skins nobody has done before? There are lots of dwarves, unicorns and mermaids already!
Cyberpunk and made-up superheroes are the new and creative themes here, the themes we're supposed to be picking!
Imagine how much more interesting the skin section would look if one of those themes were picked and everybody started making such of skins...
02/05/2012 10:11 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Archer
eviltictac
mythical creature FTW!!
02/05/2012 10:05 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Taco
FoxOfDoom
lol^

I'm excited to see what wins :3
02/05/2012 9:36 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Turtle
Palaeos
Lol I always end up voting for what is in second place most of the poll length.
02/05/2012 8:58 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Nether Knight
hollow123
Yeah hoping for Cyberpunk, have been for awhile! Feels like it has more freedom and has just been something needed to be done already!
02/05/2012 6:18 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Mage
Lycandar
Sneeze7, MCvipond1, Sneeze7
Neekingtimevoting on this is great. this will assure that all of the little derps may have there way. and make way for a whole new system of scoring on the contests: impress all the immature children of this site.

i refuse to take part.

Seriously, stop complaining, everyone is having fun, and why did you all of the sudden get so rebellish? you've already taken part in all contests, so something must have been good about them.

I think it's because s/he didn't get into the top 100 on the video game chars contest.

Yes he did, he just deleted his entry, he was 18th or something. :3

I was 50th , doesn't bother me

I like it as it gives me a chance to a) get some more publicity (it was my most diamond-ed skin ever and i got a few more subs) and b) I get to break away from what i normally do (anime) and try something a little different. Though in hindsight picking a JRPG character , maybe not so much different xD
02/05/2012 5:33 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Pokemon
_FEAR_
Feudal Japan/Japanese legends 4%....................... Skin crafters and skin watchers! Why you no like Japan?!

For Japan! Banzai!

P.S. I'm hispanic.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome