Qubic Cube Build Contest

Qubic's Avatar Qubic1/29/14 5:06 am
1 emeralds 4.2k 81
6/2/2014 2:50 am
Ivain's Avatar Ivain

Download the project map here: click

This is the forum page for the Qubic Cube Build Contest. Anybody can enter, and we have some cool prizes to give away, so read the information down below and make an entry!

The closing date for this contest is 28th of February

Prizes
Besides the usual first through third best overal prize, we have some additional prizes. All prizes can be grouped into two different categories which are linked ot a specific prizepool of steamgames. The winners of prizes out of the first prize pool get to pick prizes in the order the prizes are listed as, and we will contact you through PMC which one you want (also read "how to enter"). Aside from the steamgames, any entry deemed worthy will be featured in a video by Lentebriesje.

Prizes in pool #1
  • 1. First prize
  • 2. Second prize
  • 3. Third prize
  • 4. Best cinematic video
  • 5. Best interactive map
  • 6. Qubic's favorite

With best interactive map we mean entries which have interactive redstone/commandblock/spawner related things. This doesn't mean it has to be a full blown minigame (would be cool though..). But something that requires interaction, the push of a button, pressure plate, commandblock detection, and upon that interaction something is powered and/or happens.

Prizes in pool #2
  • Encouragement prizes (max. 24)

We do not only have prizes for the best entries, we have some cool steamgames for entries which feature something which we think is cool. This could be as simple as a small piece of minecraft furniture we haven't seen before and really like, or a perfect little atmosphere we love. These prizes are not scripted and are given out by Qubic as we see fit.

prize pool #1

prize pool #2

Theme
The theme of this contest is to build something close to YOU, either culturally or geographically. We would very much like it to see a lot of variety in the concepts we see in this contest, which is why we chose for this broad theme. We would appreciate it if people venture outside of their comfort zones of popular themes within the community.

Tip: If you're not sure what to build, look up some tourist information for the area you live in and see what your area has to offer in terms of history and such. If anything inspires you, take this inspiration and build something similar to it. Adding some creativity to your build is ofcourse appreciated, we do not expect you to make a replica of a sight in your area, use it just as a style reference. The starting point of your build.

How to Enter
Entering is very simple:
  • 1. Download the contest map
  • 2. Build something following the theme
  • 3. Upload your entry before the end of the 28th of February to PMC with the tag " QCBC in the title, so we can search through PMC to get a list of entries.

If you want to be absolutelly sure we see your entry you can send us a personal message on this account. The entry should still say QCBC in the title for clarification purposes.

Rules
  • 1. Follow the PMC guidelines/rules
  • 2. Your entry needs to be made specifically for this contest
  • 3. Your entry needs to stay within the cube
  • 4. The cube needs to be surrounding your build in the download, so we can confirm the size.
  • * You are allowed to temporarelly remove the cube for the purpose of screenshots and cinematics.
  • ** You are allowed to enter with more then one entry
  • *** Texture packs are allowed, link the texture pack one needs to use in the project description clearly so we can find it.

Judging
The list of judges is still not final at this moment, this part of the topic will be updated soon. The results of the contest should be announced midway March!

Announcement Video
Qubic
Level 23 : Expert Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/31/2014 5:28 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Lad
-Ban-
The contest ended like a month ago... ive already received my own prizes...
06/02/2014 2:50 am
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
its not surprising to me that you won. what IS surprising is the total lack of announcements to just about everyone else. I mean, its been a month and I still have no idea what place I got, despite my strong suspicions. but thanks for the info, I'll just message them to ask, since announcements are too difficult for them.
05/05/2014 8:20 am
Level 24 : Expert Taco
TeamZyde
Uhm when will the winners be announced???
05/28/2014 1:36 pm
Ivain
my idea exactly. I was kinda hoping this contest wouldnt die, but apparently it did.
come on cubic guys, not even the rollercoaster contest took this long!
04/23/2014 2:56 pm
Ivain
hellooooooooo?! anyone home?
*Echoes: hellooooooooo?! anyone home?
03/20/2014 3:13 am
Ivain
Mezaka:D well im just happy if it doesnt need that much time as the pmc rollercoaster contest did

so stay calm ^^

indeed ^^
03/19/2014 4:53 pm
Level 44 : Master Artist
Mezaka
well im just happy if it doesnt need that much time as the pmc rollercoaster contest did

so stay calm ^^
03/15/2014 8:31 am
-Ban-
Just wanting to make sure, but are the winners getting announced tomorrow (16th)?
Can't wait!
0A
03/15/2014 11:33 am
Ivain
Same here! Im curious if there turn out to be any entries that can kick me off 2nd place!
03/03/2014 6:47 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Explorer
Seag
Here's my entry, in case you didn't see it
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ ... ie-milano/
03/01/2014 10:42 am
-Ban-
So what will be the final closing date? We kinda rushed the build as i only discovered about it the morning before it was 'due' xD and there are a few things i would like to add/fix To be honest , it was really fun building it all in one day due to the stress we had during the whole build the massive relief we got in the end once the build was posted

Thanks for organizing this event and good luck to all other competitors!
-0A
03/01/2014 12:12 pm
Ivain
Indeed. I have a load to fix as well!
03/01/2014 1:15 pm
Level 89 : Elite Terraformer
lentebriesje
Well, i said the 31st of February, but there are only 28 days in Februari. So you have till the end of the 3rd of march.
03/01/2014 8:24 am
Seag
Great, I'll be able to participate!
03/01/2014 5:11 am
lentebriesje
In the video i derped and gave the wrong date twice. So i'm waiting a few more days for any more entries to come forward if there are any, that'd be the fair thing to do as it might have been caused by me.

As for when the winners will be announced, after when the entries are all collected, i will have the judges take a look at them, i'm aiming for announcing the winners around about the 16th of march
03/01/2014 4:13 am
Level 54 : Grandmaster Meme
Droolie
Oh yeah, right xD Wow that was a fail
03/01/2014 2:22 am
Ivain
29th? we had a 29th in 2012, so I think yours would be 2 years early. its february remember.
02/28/2014 3:57 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Meme
Droolie
Hey there, I just wanted to ask in what time zone the judges are going to judge because in some countries it's already the 29th
02/28/2014 2:50 pm
Ivain
Right, here is my entry, for as far as it is done. I will try to place a download with the cube around it as soon as I can, but this may take a little longer than the deadline.
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/aqueris-the-realm-of-the-marsh-spirits-qcbc-entry/
02/28/2014 8:12 am
-Ban-
And this shall be my entry
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/arlucia---qcbc-entry/

Good Luck to all!

0A
02/27/2014 10:09 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
bleakdecember
Here is mine hopefully it all works, didn’t have any one to test it for me http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/the-running-track-qcbc/
02/27/2014 12:34 pm
Mezaka
well sad for that...

maybe just post it the way it is? maybe its already good enough...
02/27/2014 12:48 pm
Level 49 : Master Sweetheart
Zatharel
You don't get it....
When I say messed up, I mean messed up.
There are literally floating spheres of pink everywhere....
02/27/2014 1:23 pm
Ivain
very unfortunate. to console you, I probably cant enter the full power of my build either, on account of needing to finish the comission on my own (our whole team just vanished)
02/27/2014 12:29 pm
Zatharel
nope.
Sadly I'm not going to be able to enter a submission unless I can re-do everything within a few hours...
I was trying to make something and it ended up ruining the entire build. Couldn't undo it because I crashed.
02/27/2014 11:57 am
Mezaka
02/27/2014 11:54 am
Seag
Hey
I saw this contest just recently, so probably I'm gonna actually finish it tomorrow; since I'm from Italy I was wondering, the detail closes the 28th of February of what timezone?
I'd love to participate in this
02/26/2014 6:46 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Architect
PixelFox
Cool
02/26/2014 9:25 am
Mezaka
I am 90% done with my build... ill make some pics and a short cinematic, so i can upload it soon...
02/26/2014 6:08 am
-Ban-
Alright so i gave it go, and as usual didn't really read the theme rule xD. Made a Fantasy world because my life was mostly influenced by gaming as i don't go out... ever... Is there any chance i can still enter the contest even if the build isn't related to anything geographic but related to my everyday life as a gamer?

Cheers,
0A
02/26/2014 6:58 am
lentebriesje
I would say gaming is a culture.... so yes, you can enter with it
02/26/2014 6:31 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
Lyslae
sooo since we're all in the gaming culture here the theme is "build whatever style you want" xD damn i should have know that sooner ;P
02/26/2014 8:09 pm
lentebriesje
if you had asked well, you could've thought about it yourself aswell tbh. People shouldn't rush into things blindly as much

The theme was intentionally set up this way, on first glance i think a lot of people will think "shit, can't build any steampunk or nordic" and move on to a different theme. The people who get really stuck though, they'll try and seek confirmation whether something is allowed. So technically, it is a "build whatever", but in practice most people won't do this, they'll go out of their comfort zone and build something fresh and exciting
02/23/2014 12:12 pm
Ivain
the question was if it needed to be in the actual map, or if the map was just meant to enforce the size of a build. I'll take this as a yes on the former. If you'll excuse me, I have someone to chase down and put to work now....
02/23/2014 2:54 am
Ivain
another question: does it have to be inside the cube at all costs, or is it good enough if its small enough to fit in there?
02/23/2014 5:12 am
lentebriesje
I'm not entirelly sure if i understand you right but hopefully this answers your question:

You do not have to fill the whole cube, you could enter with having just build one building in the cube. But the build has to be in the large cube, it's the "qubic cube build contest", the cube is relevant, and it makes it possible for us to eyeball the size. So it needs to be inside the cube.

If you build something outside of the cube and you want to just pick it up and paste it in the cube, i would suggest looking into a tool called MCedit. Warning: You may only enter with builds made specifically for this contest....
02/22/2014 6:10 pm
Lyslae
Im sooo happy its done ^^

Here it is:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ ... ca---qcbc/

Hope you like it ^^
02/21/2014 7:47 am
lentebriesje
Only about a week left, for those who would still like to participate!
02/20/2014 12:02 pm
Lyslae
I'm 90% done right now ^^
and i must say.. i would never ever build something like it if this contest didn't give me some ideas about my childhood
i would like to build all ideas but.. yeah you know time
anyway.. thank you!
02/20/2014 8:30 am
Zatharel
Also, are we allowed to use the smaller cube for something?
02/20/2014 1:10 pm
lentebriesje
Euhm yeah, why not. It'll be considered as a bonus, if you're on par with somebody else it might just be that thing that tips the balance, but it won't make or break your build
02/19/2014 6:10 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Hero
Creative-Node
Can we have a schematic version of the map aswell please <3
02/20/2014 4:45 am
lentebriesje
I'll make one, if that means you're going to make us some eye candy

Schematic: https://www.mediafire.com/?rrqm4rlc1gg1e5e
02/19/2014 2:18 pm
Level 24 : Expert Taco
TeamZyde
02/18/2014 5:23 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Ninja
Kaizo Trap
I need to know something before I try and make an entry: so the map needs to be within the cube, but for minigame makers, does the spawn box for the game and required redstone need to be inside the cube as well?
02/19/2014 6:42 am
lentebriesje
Well, if you really can't do without using space outside of the box to make a minigame work, i think i'll allow it. I do think however we'll give a slight prejudice in favor of people who manage to keep it inside of the box, it would be nicer.

If you do enter, don't forget to mention any version restrictions in the project description.
02/20/2014 2:24 am
Level 36 : Artisan Ninja
Kaizo Trap
Makes sense. I mean, I could see bout putting it into the box, but visually it'll be fairly jarring if place in the map. ah well, we'll see what I can do
02/18/2014 1:16 pm
Level 45 : Master Architect
CrankerMan
ok good ^^
02/17/2014 11:40 am
Level 45 : Master Architect
CrankerMan
btw does it have to fit into the small or the big cube?
02/17/2014 5:21 pm
lentebriesje
The big one

The small one is just part of our logo design and serves no purpose really
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome