Tectonic worlds contest

EndPlayz's Avatar EndPlayz4/7/20 11:32 am history
5/30/2020 5:31 am
AmyOak's Avatar AmyOak

Hello! Welcome to my first solo organised contest!

The basics:

This contest is a terraforming contest. In it you will pick 1 of 3 reference pictures. You then make a minecraft world based of your choice.
However, these pictures aren't just normal minecraft worlds, they are pictures of tectonic plates! You have untill the 15th of may 15th of june to enter the contest.

Some explanation:

(because you probably need that tbh)

If you decide to enter the contest, you first choose one of the following reference pictures:
1) The earth
This first picture is a recreation of the earth's tectonic plates I made. It might look a bit weird, but i did my best. Oh and MY GOD, the plates under the eastern part of Inonesia/under Papua New Guinea are a MESS, so i grouped a few plates over there.

2) The inclosed ocean world
The second picture is one I made my self and is my personal favourite of the 3. I won't give you any extra credit if you choose this one though... Anyways, it has a major oceanic plate almost fully surrounded by continental plates, giving rise to a massive internal ocean with a few inlets into the other ocean.

3) Chaos world
The third picture is one interesting one. It has a lot of small plates moving sporadically around the globe. It can give rise to very interesting structures, but I warn you, it is a lot of work making sure that every plate boundry has the correct landforms!

Once you've decided which temPLATE (haha get it, I'm so funny...), you make a minecraft world using worldpainter, worldmachine or any other tool. You can even build it by hand! I don't know why you'd want to do it that way, but you can!
After it is done, you submit your world to PMC and post a link in the comments of this thread. That way i can find all entries, which is, ya know, pretty important.

The rules:

Major rules:

(Entry will be disqualified if these are broken)
1) Entry must be made for this contest, no re-using older entries
2) No stealing the work of others
3) In the description of the entry, write the map projection type
4) In the description of the entry, write the reference picture

Minor Rules:

(These are to keep order)
1) If you want your entry to be judged, post a link to it in the comments of this thread
2) In the description of the entry, post a link to this thread

The judging:

Entries will be judged based on:
1) Creativity.   Obviously you have to work with the templates given, however you can still make creative things using it! Make sure to create
   interesting terrain with the given template.
2) Cohesion.  Make sure each part of your terrain connects with each part of it next to it.
3) Looks.    This one is more depended on the judges, however a better looking world will get a better score.

I also still need a second judge, because a second opinion is always better than only one opinion. So if you want to be a judge, notify me in a way you seem fitting.

The details:

In the pictures, you'll see 3 colors. The yellow lines are the plate boundries. The white dots determine wether a plate is continental or oceanic.
with dot=continental, without dot=oceanic. The green arrows give the general direction the plate is moving in.
Continental plates contain a significant amount of continental crust, however it does NOT have to be a majority. For example the south american plate, east african plate or the sunda plate. oceanic plates have little to no continental crust in them, as the only land it contains are small island archs from oce-oce collisions (and continetal shelf counts as continental crust).

Further more, there are specific landforms at each type of boundry, which are in here.
Cont=continental
oce=oceanic
Div=divergent, moving away from each other
conv=convergent, moving towards each other
tran=transform, sliding past each other

cont-cont conv: High mountains (think: the Himalayas)
oce-cont conv: Mountains on cont side/trench on oce side (think: the Andes/Peru-Chili trench)
oce-oce conv: denser oce sinks, creating trench on its side/island archs on less dense oce (think: the Filipines)
cont-cont div
This one is complicated. What subtype of rift is found here depends on the age of the rift (how long the plates have been diverging).
Relatively recent rift (continents still attached to each other): rift valley (think: east african rift valley)
Older rift (the continents are separated by a relatively big amount of water): mid ocean ridge (think: the mid atlantic ridge, which is actually a continental plate-continental plate divergent boundry, however the boundry it is on is fully surrounded by oceanic crust.)

oce-oce div: Mid ocean ridges (think: mid atlantic ridge)
oce-cont div: Doesn't exist. Any crust created at div boundries is oceanic, so oce-cont div---->oce-oce div
Tran: No major geological features are created here. Prime real estate for earthquakes though.

Anyways, here is a poll because why not. Which template would you choose?
EndPlayz
Level 31 : Artisan Professor