forum Forumsplay_arrow PMC fiber_manual_record Events

Vote for the PROJECT Contest Theme for this October!

18 emeralds25 replies686 views
created 09/25/2018 9:35 am by Cyprezz
last reply 10/08/2018 11:23 am
BOO! Wait, not Halloween yet so, aawW YEAAH! It's time to vote for the official October solo project contest theme on Planet Minecraft!

Read over each of the ideas, make sure you understand what they are before voting. Remember, vote for the one you like the best, not the one you think is going to win!

Feel free to campaign
for what you hope wins in the comments, on your wall, in carefully crafted memes and with friends!

Underwater Wonders [ open theme ]
A tribute to the amazing Minecraft Aquatic Update, build an underwater wonder. What you build is completely up to you but it needs to be... under the water. Round up your dolphin pals, you're going to need the oxygen.

Nature Walk [ inspiration ]
Take or in this case, make a walk through nature. Lush, peaceful, wildlife, babbling brooks, intricate scenes of beauty that only mother nature does effortlessly. You can do it too but it's going to take some effort! Let's go on your walk through nature.

Preserving World Heritage Properties [ builds ]
We spend so much time in virtual and fantasy worlds that we can forget all of the amazing properties in our real world. For this contest, you'll choose a property from the UNESCO World Heritage List and dedicate a project build to it. With over a thousand properties to choose from, your bound to find one that peaks your interest and we'll all share what we learn through Minecraft!

Pirate Treasure Adventure [ adventure | mini-game ]
Arrgg! We'll give you an island starter map and let you focus on adding the adventure into it. Leave a chain of clues, build land marks, setup traps, bury treasure and challenge the community with adventure they'll tell their grand kids, grand kids!; or at least diamond your entry.

Pumpkin Carving Contest [ builds ]
In preparation for Halloween, create and carve a giant pumpkin in Minecraft! Whether it's scary, funny, spooky, based on real world carvings or only possible in Minecraft, the size & carving is up to you. Feel free to give the pumpkin a spooky atmosphere but the star of your build, should be the Jack-o'-lantern!

Shape the World | Episode 1 [ open theme | terraforming ]
Ever wanted to be a god of all creation and block heads? If the answer is yes, then maybe you've also imagined creating your own personal paradise, garden of life, the world to top all worlds!!! Your goal is to make a world that shows us what you'd do with limitless freedom of creation... and knowing that your map will be inhabited by life in Episode 2 of this theme.

Theatrical Scene [ inspiration ]
As a theater director you are responsible for presenting a scene to your audience. Create a build that captures a scene rich in emotion and complexity with actors in an environment you've carefully crafted. Set the stage and immortalize a scene in Minecraft. You are free to recreate a scene from an opera, musical, book, movie, cartoon, etc.

Starter Maps [ templates ]
Build a map with the intention of having others download and use it as a starting point for their own creativity. Whether it's a beautiful terraformed island, a walled village without the village, or module components to aid the creation of a more complex creation... your goal is to create a starter map.

Watercraft [ builds ]
A mode of transportation build contest focused on vehicles that travel on or through water. Vehicle can based in reality or purely your imagination. Yachts, cruise liners, submarines, pirate ships, dolphin rides, sail boats, tubs, arm floaties? and splishy splash watercrafts.

World of Color [ palette challenge ]
This project challenge will have you building primarily with blocks that match shades of one color! We'll provide 6 color palette options along with an example palette of blocks. You'll choose one to focus on but are free to expand the palette within reason. Building with shades of one color might sound boring, restrictive or even colorless but you may find the challenge results in creating strange and wonderful worlds! What you do with your color will decide the fate of our universe. It's that real.

This poll will run for one week. Get your votes in!

Information on past contests and all of their participants can be found here! https://www.planetminecraft.com/contests/

Poll ended 10/02/2018 9:35 am.

Posted by avatar
Cyprezz
Admin / Lead Developer
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Cyborg

25 replies

10/06/2018 6:16 am
Level 84 Elite Artist
Divici
About the contest...
1. So we have to make the Pumpkin first then start carving on it?
2. What does it mean by the Jack-o'-lantern is the star of the contest? Does that mean you must include Jack-o'-lantern face as well?
Because I was planning to do Pumpkin-chan but not sure if I must include the Jack-o'-lantern or not. xD
10/06/2018 2:33 pm
Level 68 High Grandmaster Cyborg
Cyprezz
1. Yeah, would be hard to carve a pumpkin without having one to carve. :)
2. It means you can add other things around the pumpkin carving (jack-o-lantern) but those other things shouldn't be the main focus. For example, if you created a Haunted House and a jack-o-lantern is in the basement... that's a Haunted House, not a Pumpkin Carving entry.

What's a Pumkin-chan? :)
10/06/2018 8:17 pm
Level 84 Elite Artist
Divici
Well, basically a pumpkin with anime face on it. xD
But what if I carve anime face and jack-o-lantern on the pumpkin as well?
Is that still count as Jack-o-lantern is the main of the star?
Probably will look like this.

10/08/2018 11:23 am
Cyprezz
yeah that counts.
10/06/2018 2:47 pm
Level 35 Artisan Engineer
ShelLuser
Too late to vote, story of my life, lol!
09/27/2018 9:45 am
Level 51 Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
I really like the idea of "Shape the world", where I assume you'll need to build something into the map you made in the first part?

For a one-off the starter map one is also pretty cool.
Pumpkin Carving is nice and thematic for this month.
ofc I'm partial to Nature Walk myself, being a terraformer.

Voted for Shape the World this time.
09/26/2018 10:26 pm
Level 16 Journeyman Skinner
Real6Buddy7bro
Despacito
09/27/2018 11:56 am
Level 2 Apprentice Crafter
Steadfast
I don't think "Pumpkin Carving Contest" will be a popular contender here, but I love that idea!
09/27/2018 9:37 am
Level 1 New Crafter
Creap
starter maps will be cool
09/26/2018 3:56 pm
Level 35 Artisan Wolf
jessy999
Underwater Wonders (win pls ;P)
09/26/2018 3:18 am
Level 48 Master Botanist
Amalien
Please let's have Nature Walk
09/27/2018 6:04 am
Level 1 New Explorer
Shooting_Star030
NATURE WALK!!!!
09/26/2018 9:50 am
Level 72 Legendary Cake
PMC
Pumpkin Carving!!!
09/26/2018 3:06 am
Level 40 Master Pixel Puncher
TomConn
Starter map could be really cool, and useful too!
Even though I'll vote for Pirate treasure Adventure... ARRR!! :D
09/25/2018 9:24 pm
Level 34 Artisan Pixel Painter
Cib
Nature Walk sounds interesting but it's Pirate Treasure Adventure this time.
09/25/2018 11:22 am
Level 52 Grandmaster Mlem Mlem Bat
Karrthus
its october, why not just a sp00ky contest , its that time to get sp00ky anyway
09/25/2018 12:24 pm
Cyprezz
We have something planned for Halloween / October this year. We just started polls for project contests so I didn't want to break the cycle by overriding the chance for the community to vote. I did toss in a "Pumpkin Carving Contest" theme which won't conflict with what is planned while still allowing us to potentially vote in a Halloween themed official contest.
09/25/2018 12:33 pm
Level 52 Grandmaster Mlem Mlem Bat
Karrthus
fair enough ^_^
09/25/2018 11:48 am
Level 15 Journeyman Engineer
garlicbreathinator
We need some kind of halloween option. How does a "haunted house tour" sound? You must build a mansion with an ornate interior and a path to travel along through its dark corridors. It's not just about worldedit-ing some massive structure, but about how you try to frighten the visitor on their trip through the mansion. It requires a fusion of architecture and special effects, such as scripted events run by command blocks. Points would be awarded for technique, originality, and atmosphere.
09/25/2018 12:20 pm
Cyprezz
We have something special planned for halloween but there is also a "Pumpkin Carving" option above.
09/25/2018 11:45 pm
Level 6 Apprentice Engineer
TobyTapper
I gave up on the contests, so I'd vote for the starter maps. At least we can use those.
09/25/2018 12:10 pm
Level 28 Expert Lego Builder
Darth Spookoden
theatrical scene
09/25/2018 11:26 am
Level 21 Expert Pokemon
MysticMarineon
THEATRICAL SCEEEEEENE
09/25/2018 5:01 pm
Level 48 Master Engineer
Captain_JEK
Watercraft! They're not on land but... they're still vehicles ^^