Winter 2016 Blog Contest Poll

CrazyPigglet's Avatar CrazyPigglet11/1/16 5:41 pm
1 emeralds 2.1k 36
11/24/2016 6:56 pm
EpicGamer10's Avatar EpicGamer10
Hello people!
As some of you might know, our dear friend Chron has decided to focus on education, which is completely understandable, but because of that he will not be able to host blog contests, and has asked me to host the further blog contests. So, here we go!
I'm trying to bring some fresh ideas, not only with the themes but with the type of contest itself. I hope you will like it!

Please read these descriptions of contest ideas, just to help you make the right decision. Every vote counts!
[u]
[size=150][b]Regular Blog Contest:[/b][/u][/size]

A usual blogging contest, with an interesting minecraft-related theme and a high word limit, like we have done it up until now.

[size=150][u][b]Poetry Writing Contest[/b][/u]
[/size]

Your task is easy- write a simple poem. Everyone likes poetry and word play, and poems are quite simple to write that everyone can do it. It would also have a minecraft-related theme.

This poll with run until November 22nd November 2016
We encourage you to vote even if you're not planning on participating in the contest this month and to choose the theme you think will encourage the best and most creative blogs.

Poll ended 11/22/2016 4:41 pm.

CrazyPigglet
Retired Moderator
Level 49 : Master Unicorn

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/24/2016 6:56 pm
Level 22 : Expert Narwhal
EpicGamer10
I'm with poetry
11/18/2016 4:49 am
CrazyPigglet
Most probably, all forms of poetry will be allowed as long as it fits the minimum/maximum word limit of PMC blogs.
11/17/2016 2:54 pm
Level 24 : Expert Scribe
Travis
I really hate haikus, they're very limiting.
I'm more of a freestyle guy.
Something that rhymes with limiting
This poem is so bad I want to die.
11/17/2016 10:04 am
Level 44 : Master Sweetheart
Calendar Man
Please be poetry,
I gotta do a haiku,
(If it is allowed.)
11/16/2016 4:26 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Professor
Eli the Zeratoed
Welp, we're going to have Poems filling up the Blogs Section now... I kinda just skim through Poems saying "Meh", but I'll try to make one anyways for whatever winter thing we get this year... A recommendation would maybe Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph, Childhood Memories in the Snow, Xmas, Santa, Hey-Zeus' B-Day (You know what this is, don't act like you don't know (unless you're in another religion or not in any, which is understandable)), etc.

Even though I'm not a Poem-Guy, I guess I should look forward for the Poem Contest ahead, whatever it is! x3
11/16/2016 3:49 pm
Level 42 : Master Necromancer
candle_
Also curious exactly what constitutes poetry. There's a massive amount of diversity between genres and I'm wondering if stuff beyond the basic haiku, rhyming, alliteration and such is acceptable.
11/17/2016 3:53 am
Level 49 : Master Sweetheart
Zatharel
Personally, I like think of it this way. It'll either be:
a) fixed with a theme but you'll only be able to do a specific form of poetry.
b) fixed with a theme, but nothing will be mentioned about the form. In this case, I'm just going to go off and assume we can do anything from haiku to free verse because well, if you don't specify it that's your fault >_<
11/18/2016 2:36 am
candle_
Hoping that we get the second, then - or at least some interesting genre options. I find most conventional forms of poetry to take itself way too seriously or just be over-the-top ridiculous trying and failing at being funny.
11/18/2016 3:20 am
Zatharel
I agree. Rules are made to be broken so constant sticking to conventional forms becomes dull so very fast.
11/15/2016 6:10 pm
Level 59 : Grandmaster Fish
Carcharodontosaurus
An art competition would be sweet indeed.

Another thing; When you say "Poetry", is it then allowed to write a song? :I
Cuz... if that is allowed, I'm gonna make a death metal song for y'all.
11/16/2016 1:35 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Artist
Ellie
I want to see this haha
11/14/2016 4:03 pm
Level 46 : Master Technomancer
Melancholism
Poetry writing sounds pretty rad UvU
11/11/2016 7:06 pm
candle_
poetry contest will probably result in a lot of really embarrassed people when they look back a year after the post

GOOD STUFF LET'S DO IT
11/11/2016 11:07 am
Level 36 : Artisan Pokemon
JediJerboa
A poetry blog?
It could be interesting.
I may not enter.
11/11/2016 10:04 am
Ellie
Better start learning some poetry! Going to be an interesting competition, I wasn't expecting such a lead

Please let me illustrate it or I can't survive
11/12/2016 5:12 pm
CrazyPigglet
As always, you will be able to add images, but they will not hugely effect judges' decisions.
11/04/2016 4:55 pm
Level 24 : Expert Scribe
Travis
If you don't vote poerty, I'm going to be so upset.

Seriously though, I've been lobbying for this for months, and it WILL happen.
11/03/2016 4:21 pm
Level 75 : Legendary Gent
Zitzabis
Pepijn
Zitzabis
Pepijn[As Zath said, if "regular" wins it will be probably be interpreted by the judges as a simple "no" for poetry even though that's not what the option said. This causes confusion and might even give rise to false poll results.

I'm extremely sorry that the way the poll was laid out offended you.

Lol.

Just try to make a better poll next time.

I'll be sure to reach out to you for your tips next time then.
11/03/2016 3:29 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Cyborg
Pepijn
Zitzabis
Pepijn[As Zath said, if "regular" wins it will be probably be interpreted by the judges as a simple "no" for poetry even though that's not what the option said. This causes confusion and might even give rise to false poll results.

Lol.

Just try to make a better poll next time.
11/03/2016 2:42 pm
Level 75 : Legendary Gent
Zitzabis

Rest assured, that it will not be forced into a non-creative path that you and ISKEY are predicting. Instead, we are asking if we want a poetry contest or a contest that has the same structure as normal contests. That is NOT to say that we are running a "normal" contest in regards to content. Instead, normal means set out with the usual rules and length limitations. We can still move on from there and apply creativity. For example, Ellie had a very good suggestion that would apply under that "normal contest" structure.

Yes, you may argue that it would have been "better" to do a yes or no. But the current layout works equally well. I understand that you misunderstood how it was meant to be interpreted, however I haven't been a part of creating this thread and upon reading it I understood exactly what they were trying to say. It's not that big of an issue.
11/02/2016 1:12 pm
Level 82 : Elite Fox
CraftyFoxe
I'm still waiting for some sort of artwork contest
11/15/2016 4:20 pm
CrazyPigglet
Me too.
Haha, unfortunately, this is quite hard to pull off since a lot of artistic people already have art blogs, and there is a rule of one art blog per person :/
11/15/2016 5:35 pm
Ellie
Maybe there could be a way of entering one image so it's like a gallery of entries you can still diamond but not really have its own category. so people can link their art blogs and put the image in their art blogs too, but not vote on the blogs.
I'd be so down for it.
11/02/2016 6:19 pm
Ellie
That would be fun but hard to set up limitations for
11/02/2016 11:57 am
Pepijn
Then don't put it as "regular blog contest". Makes it sound boring.
11/02/2016 1:06 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Musician
Punkamoar
This seems like a complete non-issue. The term "regular blog contest" was used to clearly state a contest like we've had before, as opposed to a new type of contest (i.e the poetry one that we've been spitballing on).

The purpose of this thread, I believe, is to talk about the possibility of a poetry contest in the future, not if one of the options sounds boring compared to the other one. Also, before you say something like "it'll skew the results having one option that's better described than the other", it doesn't matter. If you want to see an official poetry contest in the future, vote for the poetry. If not, vote no. It doesn't matter at all which option is more interestingly written.
11/03/2016 7:31 am
Pepijn
How the poll should have been done: Do you want to see a poetry contest? Yes or No.

The way the poll works now is that people who want something different but not poetry (myself and Havingfun_ISKEY for example) are forced to pick between 2 options they don't want (they don't want poetry nor do they want the usual blog contest) or just not vote at all (which is bad, cause you want these people to have the ability to voice what they want through the poll, that's the whole purpose of a poll). I'm sure this is not intentionally done this way and I doubt that if "regular" wins that we will really get a regular blog contest (like Zath already explained). But it's a typical example of a "false dilemma", which is just confusing and gives awful results.

Example:
Havingfun_ISpooKEYPoetry isn't my favorite at all, but considering that we may end up with an unoriginal theme with the regular option, I don't really know.

She stated she doesn't really enjoy poetry nor does she want to pick the regular option. In a "Poetry? Yes/No" poll she would probably vote no, which is a useful result because it correctly portrays her opinion. In this false dilemma however, she seems confused and doesn't know what to pick. She might pick "poetry" because she really doesn't want a regular contest (even though she doesn't want poetry), she might pick "regular" (even though she also doesn't want that) or maybe she doesn't vote at all (which beats the purpose of a poll). All of these 3 possible results are not useful, 2 of them falsely portray her opinion and one of them doesn't show her opinion at all.

There's just no way to vote "no", like you stated.

To be completely clear, it's important that we (the people who vote) interpret the poll options the same as the people who base their actions on the result of the poll (the judges for picking the theme/style/whatever I assume). As Zath said, if "regular" wins it will be probably be interpreted by the judges as a simple "no" for poetry even though that's not what the option said. This causes confusion and might even give rise to false poll results.
11/02/2016 10:10 am
Zatharel
Pepijn
There's way more stuff to spice up blogs with than just making it a poem.

Of course there is and I trust Pigglet has taken in consideration the feedback from Chron's old thread where members (you included) pitched in their suggestions. I'm sure that if we end up going with Option 1, we'll be sticking to how we usually did things but in addition to some of those suggestions.

However, the whole poetry thing was just something we've been discussing in judge chat lately and we wanted to see what the community thinks. If Option 1 wins, that doesn't mean that nothing will change, it just means that changes won't be heading in the direction of poetry.
11/02/2016 10:04 am
Pepijn
Alright, not exclusively stories. Dunno where I got that from. But having only 2 options is still weird.

There's way more stuff to spice up blogs with than just making it a poem.

There are two options because there isn't a need for any more.
is just not something you can state.
11/02/2016 8:02 am
Zatharel
PepijnBut I think a regular themed story contest would be pretty boring.

Why only these 2 options?

...I don't think anyone mentioned a story contest in the main post?

There are two options because there isn't a need for any more.
-The first option refers to how we've been doing blog contests so far (stories/articles/guides/tutorials in the form of prose).
-The second option refers to a new way to do things in the form of a poem.

Keeping our current type of contest themes doesn't refer to stories exclusively, never has never will. After all, of the total 7 official blog contests we've had, only 3 were story-related, of which 1 we didn't have much control of.
11/02/2016 7:01 am
Pepijn
I'm not into poetry and I fear that such a contest would give very opinionated results (more than usual). But I think a regular themed story contest would be pretty boring.

Why only these 2 options?
11/02/2016 7:56 am
Level 64 : High Grandmaster Princess
Havingfun_ISKEY
This.
11/02/2016 6:57 am
Ellie
I'd love a regular blog contest where the theme allows for more creativity. Like a starting sentence you need to turn into a story, with a smaller word limit so people don't waffle on forever.
Sadly I suck at poetry.
11/01/2016 10:53 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Scribe
Jetra
Let us take a break from the mass of text,
on to something enjoyable next.
I vote for poetry you see
because as for me
may I make an entry
and make all the bloggers vexed.
11/01/2016 5:45 pm
Level 64 : High Grandmaster Princess
Havingfun_ISKEY
Poetry isn't my favorite at all, but considering that we may end up with an unoriginal theme with the regular option, I don't really know.
11/01/2016 5:45 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Musician
Punkamoar
I'd be totally down for a poetry contest, as long as its a little more interesting. Something more like an epic poem contest would be something I'd love to take part in.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome