Completely and utterly ignorant seeks advice!

HairyScotsman's Avatar HairyScotsman8/8/18 3:05 am
2 emeralds 166 3
8/9/2018 3:23 am
makeSpaceforGrace's Avatar makeSpaceforGrace
Hello!

So ive been fooling about with minecraft PC since it was launched.
My kids started using it when they were very young (3/4 years) and they still play it regularly.
Ive been blackmailed into buying all vanilla versions to date by them.
So this summer, I started to get into it.

I'm particularly interested in using it as a tool for building reconstructions of reap world architecture.

As such I'm keen to hear suggestions and advice and where i can dowload various packs.

So, ive a few questions:
1. I have a macbookpro 2016 version top of the range edition
What version should i use for architectural builds? Java?

2. Which texture packs would you suggest for medaevil , renaissance architecture? Im considering a 1:1 of a cathedral

3. I'm happy building by hand, one block at a time

4. Whats a server in minecraft and where's the best place to upliad backups etc?

Any advice, pointers, etc would be gratefully recieved and i apologise in advance for my ignorance!

Cheers

Rich
HairyScotsman
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/09/2018 3:23 am
Level 29 : Expert Explorer
makeSpaceforGrace
Welcome! Wish I had some advice, but I'm learning from your thread myself. Anyway, good luck with your MC ventures! :D
08/09/2018 2:35 am
Level 21 : Expert Pokemon
DeathsValentine
Actually builders refuge is a great place to "backup" builds because they have world edit/voxel sniper, and you can use world edit to download schematics of your builds to your computer! If you do it on a private server and get Fast Async World Edit you can also download your schematics to your computer! If you need any help with that let me know
08/08/2018 3:48 am
Level 70 : Legendary Dinosaur
DinowCookie
I think Java is the only version of Minecraft that can be played on Mac (anyone correct me if I'm wrong!).

There aren't many resource packs out for the most recent Java version (1.13) yet. If you don't mind using a slightly older version for your build (you'll miss a few aquatic update blocks, which you likely won't need in a Medieval or Renaissance architecture build anyway), I recommend my favorite texture pack, Pixel Perfection. :D It's a 16x texture pack with amazing coloring which stays true to the feel of vanilla Minecraft, though I think it's a bit darker overall. Currently available for version 1.11 of Minecraft Java.

If you want a tool to build faster, I suggest WorldEdit. Even if you say you don't mind building by hand, this tool can make your life as a Minecraft architect a lot easier!

A server is a multiplayer world, hosted by a private person or an organization on their own (virtual) machine. You can join a Minecraft server by entering the IP address in your Minecraft multiplayer window for Minecraft Java. There are many different servers, which vary in play-style and quality. There are survival, creative, mini-game and redstone servers, the list goes on!

Though a server can be great fun to play with multiple people, and even to build together, you cannot easily backup your own builds on someone else's server. You'd need to get in touch with the owner of the server to get a world-save or schematic of any build you made on their server (I don't know of any other way!). So you'd either have to agree to not having a back-up of your build, be in contact with the server owner or choose to build in a single-player world.

Minecraft Java generates a saves folder with worldsaves. If you use WorldEdit you can save a so called schematic of your build, which allows other players to import a build into their own world. These are the two most common ways of sharing buildings in Minecraft. However, I do now know how to get to your saves and/or schematics on a Mac. You'd have to ask Google, or wait for someone else to reply to this thread. ^_^

Hope that helped! :D
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome