I am a Grammy that is new to PMC and MC

deville964's Avatar deville9649/7/18 7:47 pm
17 emeralds 446 25
9/18/2018 7:59 pm
makeSpaceforGrace's Avatar makeSpaceforGrace
I am at the tail end of the Baby Boomer generation and have three adult kids, of whom all play some kind of video game. My one daughter plays MC on her PS4, while I'm getting my feet wet with the PC version. I use to play war games on Facebook - so I am somewhat familiar with chat groups, etc. I am always up for making new friends and learning how to play MC.
deville964
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/07/2018 8:32 pmhistory
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer
ShelLuser
Welcome!

Yeah, that's the cool part about Minecraft in my opinion: it appeals to both young and old. Of course in my experience most elders tend to initially approach Minecraft as if its a rather simple virtual block box, but they often end up quite surprised :-)

Just wondering: when you say PC version do you mean the Win10 (bedrock) edition or the Java edition?

Anyway, PMC is a very nice Minecraft community which provides a bit of everything for everyone. If you're interested in maps, skins, extensions (mods / datapacks) then this is the place for you. And if you simply want a platform to share your own Minecraft experiences or projects then this can also be the perfect place for you :-)

Hope you're going to have fun here!
09/08/2018 12:03 pm
deville964
What's the difference between the two PC versions? I've been using the Java edition as that is how my daughter got me started - using her account for a few weeks to see if I would even like the game. And any suggestions would be great because I get bored quickly and end up starting a new world every few days. I get frustrated when I am not able to find iron and I'm still a pansy to go into caves.
09/08/2018 5:20 pmhistory
ShelLuser
Good question!

The Java edition is the original Minecraft as it once was developed by Notch and later Mojang. You can play alone or with others but only if they also play using the Java edition. The main advantage of this version is that it can be fully customized and you can basically do whatever you want. Either using datapacks or mods or just build stuff yourself.

But you can also do less intrusive stuff such as changing your skin (your player appearance) which you can do right from the launcher. That's the main advantage of the Java edition: there is a lot of (free) contents available. For example, if you'd like a different skin (player appearance) then all you have to do is check out Planet Minecraft's skin section.

The Windows 10 version aka Bedrock edition is a rewrite which is targeted at mobile platforms; it is compatible with Minecraft versions running on most gaming platforms like XBox, Nintendo and I also believe the mobile versions. Meaning: if you play the Win10 version then you can play together with someone who is playing Minecraft on a Nintendo. Unfortunately this doesn't include the Playstation because Sony didn't feel comfortable with giving non-Playstation environments access to their network.

Another possible disadvantage is that the environment is more locked down. If you want to change your skin for example then you'll most likely need to purchase a skin pack. Modding doesn't really exist on Bedrock to my knowledge.

As to some playing tips...

You could always consider switching to creative mode. This gives you full access to every item in the game and it is ideal if you only want to build stuff. If you have 'cheats' enabled then simply use the command /gamemode creative. So press / and then type the rest of the command. If you don't have cheats enabled you can still cheat ;) Just pause your game, click "Open to LAN" and be sure to enable cheats. Then you can use commands during the rest of that session.

Commands can also help you to give you a little boost. Are you getting tired of not being able to find iron but you still would like to play more? Just give yourself some iron:
  • /give @p iron_ingot or: /give @p iron_ore.

Maybe that could help?
09/12/2018 2:24 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
OldPAM1ner
Also -- if I'm scared about a cave, I got into "Peaceful" or "Easy" game mode for a bit. Sometimes in the mountains you find outcroppings of iron, but yes, other than that, you mostly have to do some caving. Yikes! Of course, you won't really "die" in Peaceful or Easy mode anyway, and that makes encountering creepers or zombies a little bit less scary, to me.
09/08/2018 6:24 pm
deville964
Yes and I understood your descriptions too! So two more questions, if I may...how do I get my avatar in here changed? I screwed up. Secondly, where can I go to get more information without pestering the poop out of you? I have the wiki one bookmarked and I was just in the process of looking through the forum here.
09/09/2018 3:05 pm
ShelLuser
Changing your avatar

Yeah, it can be a little tricky to find that at first. Click on the menu in the upper right corner and then select the option "Account settings", let me show you:

Account settings

Once you're in that screen you'll see a menu on your left side of the screen. Click "Edit profile". Now you got 4 tabs which you can use. The opening one allows you to set your Minecraft name & PMC class. If you click on 'avatar' then you can change your PMC appearance.

Getting help / information

When it comes to Minecraft then I highly recommend the Minecraft wiki. It's constantly being updated by very enthusiastic people.

But don't hesitate to bug people too, just use the right place for it. If you need help with Minecraft you can always ask on PMC's Minecraft -> Help forum. General questions are best asked in the help forum, but do pay attention to the other sections as well (redstone, console, mods, etc.).

If you need help with PMC itself on the other hand then the quickest (and safest) way is to create a new ticket. Then you can ask the people who run this place, and you can be sure that they know what they're talking about.

Hope this can help too :)
deville964
Thank you!
09/09/2018 10:27 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
aceofall1337
im 44 and I love it :) my son plays or I prolly wouldn't have got into it
09/08/2018 8:55 pm
pipochi4561
I was about 11/12 when I first started playing minecraft in the beta days and now 20 years old and still playing minecraft to this day; I owned for all platforms because why not. So what am trying to say is that it’s never too late to play this game and share memories with the community and your family :)

ps: don’t listen to the haters
09/09/2018 12:08 pm
deville964
What haters?! They can kiss my non-hairy toe! At any rate, as I mentioned before, all my kids play PS4 games. My oldest daughter and only son play GTA. My middle daughter plays League of Legends, MC, and a few other games. I like to have something to do with them.
09/08/2018 12:15 pm
Level 24 : Expert Procrastinator
faust1973
welcome to the site, deville! hope you have a good time here!
09/08/2018 6:25 pm
deville964
Thank you!
09/08/2018 12:13 pm
Kalos_Champion_Diantha
Welcome to the forums,Deville964! I'm also an older person who loves playing video games,and I'm also still learning about Minecraft. I'd like to give you a little tip: Be very careful about any maps you download-some maps actually make your computer freeze. If that ever happens,just restart your PC and delete the map that caused your PC to freeze.
09/08/2018 6:26 pm
deville964
Good advice. I've read about maps, but still not sure what they are for. My daughter and a few of her friends have a map and use it. But I think it is one they did for themselves.
09/08/2018 8:24 am
Level 39 : Artisan Llama
Totocchio
Welcome!! I hope you enjoy your stay!! We are a very welcoming community, so hopefully you will feel right at home.
09/08/2018 6:26 pm
deville964
Thank you!
09/08/2018 7:17 am
Level 32 : Artisan Architect
thedutchlord
Welcome, have fun here
deville964
Thank you!
09/08/2018 6:03 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
OldPAM1ner
Hey, welcome!! I have 2 young grandsons who will sometimes spend time playing MC (if they aren't too busy with Pokemon or Pokemon Go, lately)!

See you around the community!
09/08/2018 6:25 pm
deville964
Awesome! Hi fellow Grammy!!
09/07/2018 8:43 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Engineer
TobyTapper
Welcome to pmc!
deville964
Thanks!
09/18/2018 7:59 pm
Level 29 : Expert Explorer
makeSpaceforGrace
Welcome to PMC!
09/12/2018 4:49 pm
Level 63 : High Grandmaster Witch
len-kun
hello there !! welcome to the community! its wonderful to have a range of ages, and im glad you decided to join PMC! ♥
09/12/2018 2:51 pm
Level 72 : Legendary Vampire
ziggy like stardust
Welcome to the community! I hope you enjoy your time here, everyone is so helpful and kind ♥
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome