🌍 The PMC Weekly April 24th, 2021chrome_reader_mode

PMC's Avatar PMC4/24/21 1:56 pm history
66 emeralds 2.6k 26
5/7/2021 11:59 pm
Squirrel's Avatar Squirrel

Welcome to the 90th volume of the Weekly! In this edition we cover a few new community skin contests (with really nice banners!!) and one build contest, some art we found while browsing this week, HD Mobs skins, a massive space station, a featured data pack and more! Have a great weekend!

OFFICIAL EVENTS AND CONTESTS

Last week, we launched the new official Mob Skin Contest, Biome Swap!In this contest, your goal is to use a mob from a biome, and re create it so it fits in a different biome! Have fun and be creative in your selection and swap choices. Please makeit clear in the title and/or description what biome your mob swapped into.

Deadline: May 4
1 WEEK LEFT
There is just 1 week left to participate in The Bees Knees! In this event, you're allowed to enter up to 5 times and can submit projects, packs, skins and blogs! Event means that there are no winners,this is purely for fun and to spread the spring vibes. Participants will receive a badge for their trophy case!

NOTE: Your submission doesn't have to be Bee themed - The phrase "the bees knees" means "a highly admired thing". We are asking you to create your favorite thing about spring! Bees don't really have knees, in case you were wondering.

COMMUNITY EVENTS AND CONTESTS

NEW!
borkicorn is celebrating their 200 SUBMISSION milestone (woo hoo!) and hosting a skin contest called "I.A.Y". In this contest, you have to create a skin showing your style on one side or certain body parts, and the other half being of someone elses' style! It can be someone you admire, a friend, a sibling, as long as the way they create/shade skins is different from yours to the point it won't be extremely easy.

Deadline: May 8

For this Re-Imagining Skin Contest being hosted by TheCrypteral, you simply take an existing concept, character, or object, and make it Reimagined! By this you just take the existing thing, and change one thing about it. (Ex. Blazes if they lived in the overworld).
Deadline
: May 15

In this "Low on ink" skin contest being hosted by FishStacks, your goal is to use the color palette below! No HD or mob skins are allowed

Deadline
: May 20

Gamefruitpulp is hosting a Spring Building Competition. In this contest, you must download the starter terrain map, Crystal falls, which can be found here.

Crystal Falls is a 1.16 2k x 2k map created by Geet_Builds that contains 5 waterfalls, lakes, rivers, red crystals and other beautiful elements. You must build something that matches the theme Crystal Falls. Try your best to create a story or lore with your build. Will your build be a fairy cottage? A castle for a mythical monster? Or maybe a village of witch huts? Your build must fit with the terrain and overall atmosphere of the map. Use your creativity!

Deadline: May 31

COMMUNITY CONTESTS AND EVENTS ENDING SOON
😁 (Skins) TypeTitle + LinkHostDeadline
Themed Contest
Wings of Fire
Gxgezfydea
April 26
Themed Contest
🪐 Gαʅαƈƚιƈ Gαʅαxყ 🪐| ☽~ 𝟐𝟎𝟎 𝐒𝐮𝐛𝐬 𝐒𝐤𝐢𝐧 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐬𝐭! ~☽MoonAstraea
April 27
Themed Contest
Nether Survivor Player Skin ContestFiredReadyBlocksApril 28
Themed Contest
A Retro Futurelovfallande
April 29
Palette Contest
Stepping into the Wildvonk
April 30
Themed Contest
~8-bit Spring Contest~_Astrolol_
April 30
🐷 (Mobskins) Type

Themed Contest  
Superheroes vs Supervillains Mob & Player SkinZappyGru
April 24

⭐OTHER HIGHLIGHTS

FEATURED ART
Below you'll find a few art couple of art works from wall posts this week, and one from and art blog

Art by rainstxrm
Moon's Galactic Art Blog (Popular Reel! 🌙)
Art by MoonAstraea

Moon's Galactic Art Blog (Popular Reel! 🌙)
from MoonAstraea's art blog

FEATURED SKINS
This week, there were over 1,400 mob skins submitted! We're featuring two HD mob skins this week; both of them with such intricate detail, giving them personality and life! First up is Fortress guardian by wackywow that uses the Ghast skin. We think this fortress guardian fits in perfectly with the Nether biome and looks almost indestructible with its brick composition. Big grandpa by Pumpkin appears to be a big grumpy grandpa, but rest assured he's actually friendly and even hosts story time where he shares some of his adventures and legends! We wonder if Pumpkin is going to make grandma.

Fortress Guardian by wackywow

Big Grandpa by Pumpkin

FEATURED PROJECT
Jordn's latest build is a sci-fi space station build that took around 6 days to complete! Titled "Aeris Terminal 008" is complete with solar array panels, command and service module, orbital workshop and other elements you'd find on a real-life space station. This is their first air structure/vehicle, but certainly not their first impressive megabuild! Be sure to check out their submission portfolio for all of their submissions!

FEATURED DATA PACK
One of the top data packs this week was Craftable Structures by Terroid! with this Data Pack, you can craft structures and they spawn right in front of you! You can create abandoned ships using boats, chests and wood and a desert temple with sandstone and a chest. That's not all though.. you can also create a nether portal and other nether structures!

FEATURED TEXTURE PACK
kovaszos_uborka's latest pack, Plants+, improves plants across all biomes with better wood texture and variated birch, better farmland, forest features, better pumpkin and melon, 3D sugarcane and several flower and lilly pad variations! You'll see pretty pink kelp flowers in the oceans, colorful swamps and deserts, and so much more. Download the pack here!

INTERVIEW TIME

This week's interview is with....

J_A_Y__! Jay was recommend by another member to be interviewed, and from the moment we looked into their submission portfolio, we knew they needed to be featured! Just this week, jay released his Tower of London 1:1 recreation project (seen below) which we learned, is just a small part of an even bigger project - The London project. This project aims to recreate Greater London in Minecraft as accurate as possible, for the most immersive experience for players. Along with some other members, they've already complete 220 hectares. Not familiar with hectares? 1 hectare is 10,000 square meters or about 2.5 acres - thats over 211 football fields! This interview covers a lot about this project and how he stays motivated in times where inspiration might be lacking. A great read, and we hope you gain some insight on what it's like to build at such a large scale and with multiple people!

Minecraft/Personalized Questions

How did your Minecraft experience begin?

I’m pretty sure I got Minecraft on the Christmas of 2014. However even before that I was interested in creative Minecraft, thanks to watching Keralis in Youtube. Since then I’ve always been on the creative realism side.

Do you still play Minecraft (aside from building for your big project)?

Apart from the occasional nostalgia-filled survival with friends, not really. Although I used to build alot on creative servers I lost interest round round about 2018-2019, so doing London is a great project that keeps me on the game with new challenges all the time.

You’re currently working on a very big project - building as much of Greater London as accurate as possible.Tell us what inspired you to to take on such a task, and when it started!

It’s definitely important for me to note that I’m not the owner or the founder of the London Project. That goes to Pieberius, who has had multiple different iterations of a ‘London project’, the first one in 2013. In the first half of 2019, Pieberius struck gold by managing to import a combination of LiDAR and OSM data into the game, meaning we could build on what was essentially a rough ‘mould’ of the entire city.

I found and joined the project when it was Pieberius and merely a couple other people (TeamTraction and jackd175), round about October 2019, which was great because I had become interested in doing recreations, and I myself am a resident of London. My first build was the BFI IMAX in December 2019, although Pieberius already had a small area around Westminster bridge. Back then it was baby steps, but we’ve been getting better and faster ever since.

How many people are currently working on the project with you?

We’ve had about 20 people build on the map since this iteration started, however the level of activity varies, as most of us are on the older spectrum, ie doing A-Levels or in university, meaning we have been pretty busy on and off with studying. During summer 2020, we could have 4-5 builders active on the map at one time. At the moment, myself and one other builder are active, though other long timers expect to come back on for summer.

What is your favorite part about re-building London?

It’s extremely challenging, which makes it fun. Each building is on a unique angle, and many buildings have their unique challenges (such as an angled arched roof), particularly due to the highly diverse architecture of London. That combined with the very difficult balance of accuracy and translatability into generally 1m^3 blocks makes every day building in London engaging.

What is your approach/creative process when building? What tools do you use to build accurate replicas?

Firstly, we have our LiDAR data, which can be very sketchy and awkward. However it’s a great jumping off point, especially when it comes to positions and heights. However our best friend is Google Earth Pro, which can measure heights, positions, and angles, as well as providing high quality imagery for us to build off of. However we also use Google Streetview and Mapillary to look at details from the street level. There are a number of techniques I outline in a help chat for our builders, however there are different ways of approaching different builds. Usually, I mark out the basic shapes of the whole building with wool before detailing. Some go section by section.

It’s clear that you’re striving for perfection. Have you ever had to re-do a building because you felt it wasn't accurate enough?

Definitely, especially Pieberius, who has recently redone quite alot of his year-old Westminster builds such as the Big Ben. Euston and St Pancras are builds I need to make improvements to since I did them right at the beginning of 2020. Especially recently however, we’ve been making sure we ‘perfect’ everything we do so we can focus on spreading our build area.

Working on such a large project must sometimes be tiring. How do you maintain motivation in times when you’re not necessarily feeling up to the task?

Whenever I build it’s for a 1-2 hour period (ie in the evening) or for a longer period (ie 6-8 hours on a weekend). Either way it’s a matter of going on and doing whatever you can do in the time you have. It doesn’t feel like work for me, it’s a matter of fun and activity in the same way some may load up survival

When do you hope to have your project complete?

We have 2.3 square kilometres built, out of the 1,600 square kilometres of Greater London (which is pretty much the area we have generated LiDAR into the map). That means we have built roughly 0.04% of the map in about 18 months so far, not accounting for our acceleration in progress. We don’t expect to ever finish Greater London, nor would we want to build every area in it (for example, some of the suburbs won’t be that interesting to build or to visit). However we do aim to build the well known areas at least, mainly Central London, as well as some other areas such as the Olympic Park, Heathrow, and the Docklands.

Do you have any other big projects planned?

Not really, many things we do as part of the Project would be considered big projects in and of themselves, such as Canary Wharf, or our completed 1km^2 Westminster / Waterloo block.

Add a thing or two about your London Project that you want people to know.

Firstly, we are always open to recruiting new builders. It’s not a commitment, but I must warn that we do have a high bar when it comes to applying and getting the role. However if you think you have the chops, feel free to send me a Message, or you can find the build application form at linktr.ee/tlp_mc.

If you want to support the Project in other ways, we have a Youtube channel, and also post on Twitter and Instagram. Furthermore, we also have a Patreon. All of these can be found at the aforementioned link tree.

PMC Questions
What is it that you enjoy most about Planet Minecraft?

Definitely discovering other buildings and finding some of the most incredible Minecraft builders on the site I never would have otherwise.

Which PMC Pet is your favorite?

I managed to find Ender last October, and now there’s a cool black cat hanging around on my profile, so definitely Ender.

You’ve been a member of PMC for just over 6 years. Out of all of the updates through the years, which one have you liked the most?

I’m not sure if I can give a great answer on this one, as I only really started using it 3 years ago. However, I’ve definitely noticed great improvements in the interface and site design.

What PMC submission are you most proud of? Why?

Waterloo is definitely my most successful build (though the Tower of London might catch up) and it’s taken me the longest, between June 20th and August 5th 2020. It’s a huge building, and although the ExCeL has a much larger footprint, Waterloo is an extremely complex site. That said all of my latest PMC submissions are the biggest builds on PMC that I am the most proud of.

Is there a specific member that inspires you or you look up to? Who/Why?

I’d go with Kruidnoot. He’s built some stuff on London and he’s extremely well respected where he builds now. He definitely inspired me to push myself to where I am now. Also, @Ryer, who I used to build on the same server on. He’s known as ‘skyscraper god’ and for good reason.

Fun Questions
What other video games do you enjoy playing?

I play GTA Online from time to time, and have played the Story mode a couple times. I used to play alot of Cities: Skylines and Warframe, but whenever I’m gaming it’s pretty much guaranteed to be building London.

If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be?

I’ve wanted to go to Hollywood for years, and actually would have gone if it wasn’t for a certain global crisis. Still, I hope to go soon, and in the long term.

Describe yourself in 3 words!

Witty
Dichotomous
Kaleidoscopic

What’s your favorite food?

Thai food (my go-to is green curry) is the absolute bomb. Pizza can also be great, if it’s done well.

Do you have any pets?

Unfortunately not :/

Are there any hobbies outside of Minecraft that you have?

I’m going into filmmaking, so I do alot of writing, pre-production, and occasionally, the actual shoot. I’ve also done alot of street/break dance, including doing competitions and shows.

Is there any new skill that you’ve been wanting to try, but haven’t had the chance to yet?

Skateboarding and parkour, but I am going to find the chance very soon once I’m out of school.

Favorite quote or words of wisdom for the community? OR Do you have any advice for new members of PMC?

Well, Minecraft is a fossil of a game and yet it’s not only reaching new heights in terms of its updates, but also in terms of what’s achieved, whether it’s in terms of building quality, or redstone machines, or coded minigames. PMC is a great way to canonise yourself in what seems to be an extensive tapestry of Minecraft history, by doing great things or even pushing boundaries. So, what will you do?

Anything you'd like to add?

I’d definitely like to thank the PMC mods for choosing me to talk about the London Project and myself on PMC Weekly. Thanks, also, for the awesome site.

PMC
Support
Level 100 : Transcendent Cake