🌍 The PMC Weekly August 7th, 2021chrome_reader_mode

PMC's Avatar PMC β€’ 8/7/21 12:15 pm history
63 emeralds 1.5k 27
10/31/2021 11:32 pm
FittBoy's Avatar FittBoy

Several members are trying new things and sharing the result over on the blog section - from 3D printing to rendering and modeling, they're doing an excellent job so be sure to check them out below! We also have some practical resource packs that make Minecraft life a little more easier, a simple as well as complex red stone contraption, a 25 PERSON skin collaboration, castles and cathedrals, barnyard animals and more! Have a great weekend!

OFFICIAL EVENTS AND CONTESTS

This month's contest theme, 7 seas is brought to you by IllageIdiot and voted for by the community in this poll and then won the tie breaker poll! Step aboard for a voyage back to the days when royal navies hoisted their sails and when pirates spread fear across the deeps.Create a player skin that looks seaworthy and fit for adventure! It could be a highly decorated naval officer, leading the proudest of armadas. Or it could be a bone-chilling, cutthroat buccaneer seeking wealth and notoriety. The theme can be historical, fictional, or even a mix of both.

Be creative, and make a character you would imagine seeing on a great wooden ship in the middle of a briny ocean!

Banner by CornCobDog

COMMUNITY EVENTS AND CONTESTS

lordsquidzo is hosting their first contest, River Pallet Contest! There's no specific theme, you just have to use only the colors in the palette below. No HD skins, and player skins only!

Deadline: August 31
Wdarrel's River Pallet Event/Contest

PMC Member CactiFern is celebrating 350 subscriber and hosting a palette contest that includes 10 colors! Tag your entry with "Ferns10Colors"

Deadline: September 10

COMMUNITY CONTESTS AND EVENTS ENDING SOON
🏠 (Projects) TypeTitle + LinkHostDate / Deadline*
Map or (mob)skin Event
Juliancito's Birthday Event!
Juliancito135
August 9
πŸ“° (Writing) TypeTitle + LinkHostDate / Deadline
Storytelling Event
Talltale
chickenpants93
TODAY
😁 (Skins) TypeTitle + LinkHostDate / Deadline
Remake Event
100 remakes!
DinowCookie
August 8 - TOMORROW
Themed Contest
The LanternMC Take Flight Skin Contest! 🐲
_Astrolol_
August 14
Palette Contest
CORRELATION
VinylReplica
August 15
Reshade Contest
♥ Gimme Love ♥ | Reshade Contest
Spongie
August 16
Tournament!PMC Fighter πŸ₯ŠCarcharodontosaurus
August 17
🐷 (Mobskins) TypeTitle + LinkHostDate / Deadline
Palette Contest
Totem of Undying Palette Contest
Juliancito135
August 9
πŸ‘½ (Other) TypeTitle + LinkHostDate / Deadline
Texture Contest
The 10 Blocks Jam
That1Rand0mChannel-SBCDev
August 13 ⚑
Be sure to check out the Community Event Calendar for a complete list of contests and events!

RESULTS

Results for Nitgo's Aliens vs. Astronauts contest have been announced! Congratulations to the winners - Nitgo curated a Collection of the entries so be sure to check them out!

1st Place

[Alien Lizard] by Fates
3rd Place
Deception (Aliens Vs. Astronauts Contest) Minecraft Skin
[Deception] by duckiez

⭐OTHER HIGHLIGHTS

ART GALLERY🎨
THE COOLEST IVE DRAWN MYSELF SO FAR
There wasn't really any context in this wall post by MOLTENONI - but how cool is this drawing?!

In their 4th wall post ever, MakiMakiMIII shares their pixel art of a purple haired girl with a headband and plaid shirt! We would love to see more pixel creations from them!

This creepy sci-fi art shared in a wall post by MoonAstraea was posted at 2AM. We wonder if Mooniium was able to fall asleep on this night or if their art kept them awake. It sort of reminds us of Returnal.

Pixel art/animation by CornCobDog

π—π—ˆπ—‘π—‚π–Ό π–»π—…π—ˆπ—Œπ—Œπ—ˆπ—†π—Œ Minecraft Skin
kittywomp's entry for mirabilia's reshade contest includes a cat version of their skin, toxic blossoms. We love how the cat's tail appears to be a glowing teal flame, giving it a magical aura.
This big blue eyed, freckled faced character was shared by CactiFern. Scrolling through Cacti's wall posts, we discovered several other really nice digital paintings of characters. Here's one, and another! We think Cacti should consider creating an art blog and sharing all of their work... would you agree? For now, you can check out their photography blogs!

*. ᡗⁱᡐᡉ'Λ’ α΅˜α΅–, ᡍⁱᡛᡉ ᡐᡉ ΚΈα΅’α΅˜Κ³ ʷⁱ˒ʰˑⁱ˒ᡗ .* Minecraft Skin
As a birthday celebration for themselves, interlude_vi created a birthday version of their OC, Addison. Sakuraa also drew a character sheet as you can see above, and published a speedskin video on their youtube! Sakuraa uses PMCSkin3D in the video, which we think is mesmerizing and you might just learn something from watching it! A very happy belated birthday to you! πŸŽ‚

Digital art by Er0r_404

mshailz's Digital Art Blog
You'll want to check out this incredible art blog by mshailz - it contains photo manipulation, surrealism, pixel art, GIFs and more! She's been teaching herself how to use several editing softwares and you can tell she has a knack for it!

TRYING NEW THINGS
If you haven't visited the blog section this week, we urge you to do so! Several members are trying new things such as rendering, 3D printing, and going out of their comfort zones to share their short stories and art.

One such member was YokaiS, who shared a few of their 3D printed Minecraft models! In the blog, they state that they attended a summer CAD program where they learned to make 3D models with a program and print with a 3d printer. They decided to experiment with their new knowledge and import their existing models from Blockbench to the 3D printer, and needless to say, they were successful!

The dinosaur-like creature you see to the right is the result of their experimentation and is actually a model from their Data Pack, The Bloodluster! The blog includes another photo of a 3D printed Windbreaker Axe, designed by their friend Turtlenado.

A couple of other members trying out new things can be seen below. Click on the images to read more about their journeys!
3D printed a few of my Minecraft models!

MC Dailies - Daily Blockbench 3D modelsDaily Blockbench 3D Models blog by MisterGriimm

25 PERSON SKIN COLLAB
DragonsDungeon hosted a skin collaboration on their Discord server, Stream Server. The skin, titled "Sci-fi scavager" was made by the effort of 25 members! Each member was assigned a side of an appendage. The submission contains a spoiler that features a breakdown of the individual parts of the skin and who worked on them! The skin was based off of the art you see below, created by ThatGuyJake. To participate in a future event like this, join Dragon's discord server: Stream Server!

Sci-fi Scavenger - 25 Person Collab Skin Minecraft Skin

BETTER BARNYARD ANIMALS
A hen with its baby chick Minecraft Skin
Holy Graal i was bored! Minecraft Skin
Strawberry cow Minecraft Skin
We've seen many versions of a player skin holding something above their head, but this skin by GrilledPotato is just too cute! A mother hen carrying around its baby chick. Chirp chirp! 🐣
Yes, we know this is a technoblade skin. But it's also a pig. 🐷 And a pig is a farm animal. This crowned pig was created by Aspirin60
This strawberry cow created by 80sgothic has the perfect pastel pink color and the smallest of horns. We wonder if this cow produces strawberry milk πŸ“

CASTLES & CATHEDRALS

Belial6 typically creates amazing ships but decided to try something different and create a castle! Montspire castle is a medieval marvel and "holds a secret or two". The castle contains several gatehouses, towers, drawbridges, false floors and death traps. All of the interiors in this map are fully furnished!
Would you believe us if we said this was iAC_S FIRST post on PMC?! They've certainly set the bar high with this immaculate cathedral, which they've also provided a download for. Abandoned Cathedral appears to be inspired by french gothic architecture and is set in a clearing in the middle of a forest giving it a very spooky - maybe even haunted - aura πŸ‘». We're looking forward to seeing more from this new member!

This Dark Gothic Castle created by Krevelir was designed to be a "family home" despite how doom-and-gloom it may appear. A small-sized, mostly furnished residential castle with several floors, halls, rooms, and spires. Built primarily of blackstone and red nether bricks, placed on a hill of obsidian among rivers of lava.

The reddish dusty atmosphere makes this appear as if it's on mars.

Thumbnail Render

REDSTONE - FROM SIMPLE CONTRAPTIONS TO COMPLEX COMPUTERS

Redstone is a very niche part of Minecraft but allows for the creation of complex things like calculators and sorting systems as well as more simpler devices that can make your gametime more efficient!

Have you ever wanted to have all the basic farms in your world but don't want a giant floating square above the ground because it looks ugly? ALIEN- created the perfect solution for you! this 10 in 1 creeper factory is an all in one farm that produces gunpowder, cobblestone, every color of sheep and wool, iron, sugarcane/bamboo, melon/pumpkin, both mushroom variant, egg, strings and honey/honeycomb! 🍯

It does ALL of this AND has an automated storage system that shoots from the bottom of his head down to the creeper feets.

This next example is a bit more complex, to say the least. it's an ENTIRE base 10 Redstone Computer by IA_Des that computes several math operations. Confused? IA_Des also created a blog that explains this base 10 computer in depth including how to add, subtract, multiply, divide or perform square roots in Minecraft!

Intrigued? Want to see more complex Red Stone devices? This collection by New Reds Technology contains 8 devices; from computers to ALUs and CPUs!

Interested in creating your own redstone contraption? You can start with this tutorial by anonpmc2558251 that covers signal sources or read up on this tutorial blog post by Zaralith where you'll learn about circuits with redstone!

PRACTICAL PACKS

Every effect have 3 different textures for regular, splash and lingering.

Insanis's resource pack, Enchantment symbols, that adds different symbols for each enchantment! If you look close at each of the symbols, they're tiny, detailed pixel art icons and are undeniably works of art. We especially love the symbol for respiration and aqua infinity!

Be sure to check out their other latest packs, tipped arrow+ and Potions variations+, both of which work with Enchantment Symbols!

xalixilax created something similar this week - Xali's potions! Their resource pack brings a different texture to every potion to make them easier to distinguish, very much like Crazy's Enchantment symbols.

He also just updated one of his most popular packs this week, Enchanted books, which changes enchanted books textures depending on what enchantment they have!

FEATURED DATA PACKS

MIDGARD IN MINECRAFT

Channel your inner viking with this datapack that adds some simple features for you to really experience the viking age! This data pack by Hexuar was submitted last year, but updated this week and includes 5 types of waraxe, 5 types of viking swords, viking longboats, horbs, a viking shield texture and more!

Vikings not your thing? This data packer has quite a few themed data packs worth checking out, and are compatible with 1.17!

Ol' West - a wild west data pack. Yeeee haw! This pack adds two of the most iconic cowboy weapons. The revolver and winchester rifle! 🀠

Ages of Old - a stone age data pack that adds stone age themed tools, making Minecraft a little more difficult.
A WORKING GUITAR
With this data pack by Jumbo_Studio, you can either craft yourself an acoustic guitar using 1 stripped oak log, a stripped spruce log, and 3 string! OR you can give yourself the guitar right away using /function guitar_datapack:give.

How to play your acoustic guitar:
Right click to strum
Hold sneak + right click to select a guitar string
Jump to change the tone

Tag us if you use this data pack and create a fun song! 🎢

HARDER SURVIVAL

If you've been playing Minecraft for a while and you're looking for a challenge, we've found a couple of data packs that fit quite nicely with Vanilla.

First up is Doom Hardcore by deltamachine. It's been around for about a year or so, but was updated just this week to be compatible with 1.17! This pack basically overhauls the difficulty of EVERY mob - each mob you encounter is now stronger and has RP effects. They generate health quicker, follow you twice as far and are faster than your typical Vanilla mobs.

Attrition on the other hand, changes one simple thing: when you die, your max health is decreased. This pack was designed for those who want something more difficult than regular survival, but not as harsh as hardcore. Here's all of the things this pack does:
  • You lose one heart of max health each time you die
  • You gain one heart of max health each time you eat an enchanted golden apple, up to a maximum of 20 hearts
  • If you die with only one heart of max health left, you lose the game and are put into spectator mode
Both of these packs are multiplayer friendly and have several options you can toggle/play with! Have fun! ⭐
PMC
Support
Level 100 : Transcendent Cake