๐ŸŒ The PMC Weekly July 24th, 2021chrome_reader_mode

PMC's Avatar PMC โ€ข 7/24/21 2:47 pm history
62 emeralds 2.2k 29
8/9/2021 7:31 am
DebbieSpeight's Avatar DebbieSpeight

Happy weekend PMC! And welcome to yet another Weekly to summarize one week on Planet Minecraft. We're hoping you are having a wonderful summer with lots of fun and good weather. ๐ŸŒž This week we saw a lot of new community events, as usual some great creative Minecraft content, and... cats! ๐Ÿฑ There's also an official interview this week, so don't forget to make it all the way to the bottom of this weekly to make sure you don't miss a thing. ๐Ÿ˜

The PMC weekly features member-made content that we share to encourage members to support each other! So don't forget to visit the featured submissions, maybe give them a diamond or leave a comment and consider subscribing to their creators. They'll surely appreciate it!

COMMUNITY EVENTS AND CONTESTS

Whew, a lot of new member-made contests and events were submitted this week! ๐Ÿ˜ We are happy to see so many new creative themes and formula's! Also, we've noticed that new submission categories are popping up in the Events section of the Forums too. That means more and more members from around the community are taking interest in hosting and taking part in events, which is wonderful news!

Good luck to all the event hosts and contest competitors, we're hoping to see many entries and wish everyone a lot of community fun! ๐ŸŽ‰

Speed-Packing is a contest being hosted by Pleasenotme and is a contest where participants have to make data packs in a short time-span based on a topic! The topic will be revealed some time between UTC 2 p.m. and UTC 3 p.m. on July 29th, Thursday.

Once you're finished with your data pack, you must publish it in the Data Packs section of PMC and post the link to the pack in the comment section of this forum thread. We're looking forward to seeing the entries in this contest!

Theme reveal:
July 29
Deadline:
July 30
Talltale is a project hosted by chickenpants93 in which you, the viewer, decide the characters for an interactive narrative! At the end of each chapter, the community will be able to vote on what happens next. But first, it's up to the community to submit human characters or monsters or strange creatures for the story. Visit the forum thread for more information!

Deadline: August 8
The host of this contest, Noodle, has been a member of PMC for nearly 8 YEARS and has submitted 86 skins during their time here and just reached 500 subscribers! Congratulations!

They are hosting their first ever skin contest as a celebration and the theme is OCs in the Future! What you do is you take one of your OCs and design them in a futuristic fashion based on their personality! Nudle made 4 categories of "The Future" theme, any of which you can use as inspiration. They included photos in spoilers under each category to help you!

Deadline
: August 21
CornCobDog recently hit 100 subs and is celebrating by hosting a skin contest! In their contest, art to skin, your goal is to create a skin based off of the pixel artwork shown in the forum post. 1st prize recieves a creator card and a stats sheet of a character of your choice! Cool!

Deadline: August 27
Carcharodontosaurus is known for their creative contests, and their latest skin contest, PMC Fighter, certainly lives up to that! In this contest, you must create a fighter skin; however, the placement of your skin is decided by the power of its punch. You must also create a backstory of your characterand distribute stat points over 4 different attributes as outlined in the forum thread. You also choose a combo of 5 moves before each fight which can consist of a cariety of movement actions which are also outlined in the forum thread.

First place prize receives a trophy and $10 steam credit!

Deadline:
TBD

COMMUNITY CONTESTS AND EVENTS ENDING SOON:

๐Ÿ  (Projects) TypeTitle + LinkHostDate / Deadline*
Themed Contest
Minecraft Mansion Making
Jamesthalle
July 25
๐Ÿ˜ (Skins) TypeTitle + LinkHostDate / Deadline
Reshade Contest
Azul
Farmzye
July 26
Themed Contest
One Skin to Rule Them All Contest (LOTR)
Pleasenotme
July 28
Palette Event
Pride pallet event!
shelleyduvall
July 29
Reshade Contest
๐”ฐ๐”ฅ๐”ฆ๐”ซ๐”ฆ๐”ซ๐”ค ๐”ฏ๐”ฆ๐”ค๐”ฅ๐”ฑ โ˜“ ๐”ฏ๐” 
PersonWhoPlaysMinecraft
July 30
๐ŸŽฎ (Server) TypeTitle + LinkHost / ServerDate / Deadline
Bedrock Festival
bedrock festival of the arts
IronsmithMC
July 16 - 30
๐Ÿ’พ (Mod & Data Pack) TypeTitle + LinkHostDate / Deadline
Data Pack ContestSpeed-Packing - A Data Pack Contest
Pleasenotme
July 29
Model Contest
Baby Yoda Model Contest
anonpmc3336937
July 30

For a complete list of community hosted contests and events be sure to visit the community event calendar! ๐Ÿ“…

โญ OTHER HIGHLIGHTS

ART GALLERY ๐ŸŽจ

Kaos_Kitten shared their personas newer design, featuring an "uwu" mask, angel wing detail (check out those shoes), pink hair, and a crown ๐Ÿ‘‘

The creative character art above is actually a "meet the artist" of mcrjellyfish! From the photo we can see some of their favorite things are Minecraft, coffee, and baking. One of our favorite elements in this drawing is the Minecraft grass block!

DinowCookie compiled all of her art in a blog post this week! You'll find several original digital drawings; from a creeper trick-or-treating to several Minecraft mobs and even drawings of some of her best skins! We absolutely love the orange space squid you see featured here. Be sure to visit the blog for more amazing creations! ๐Ÿฆ‘
*. แตแต˜สณแตƒ'หข แต–สฐแต’แต—แต’แตสณแตƒแต–สฐสธ .*

In her latest art blog, interlude_vi shares some photography of beautiful blossoms, bird feeders, and a candle. From what we understand, she has cherry, peach, pear and apple trees right in her back yard! She also gives the community permission to use any of the pictures as your pfps and page decor with proper credit. ๐ŸŒธ

This art blog comes with a warning: creepy characters ahead! Uknownymous compiled all of their horror-aesthetic inpired art in a blog this week and we can confirm, most of these digital drawings are like something you'd see in a scary Halloween movie! From possessed astronauts to menacing monsters... these might just haunt your dreams!

FEATURED DATA PACKS โœจ

SNAILY

....and the best uncle award goes to Dominexis! What for, you ask? He created the Custom Snaily Mob, in a data pack inspired by his niece's favorite stuffed snail.

This adorable new Minecraft mob is always on the lookout for greens and crops to eat! She will also keep you safe from monsters at night.

Nothing and no-one can do Snaily any harm. And if you want her to return to the spawn-egg, simply throw a water bottle at her, or lure her towards the water. Be sure to watch the YouTube video for a demonstration of the adorable Snaily in Minecraft!

๐Ÿฅ•
๐ŸŒ
๐Ÿฅฌ
SHAMANISM

This week DigiDestined celebrated the one year anniversary of their Shamanism Datapack by adding some cool new features to it in their most recent update! The update includes:
  • 2 new bosses!
  • 2 new mobs!
  • Twisted Warp Charm
  • Steed Charm
  • Twisted Steed Charm
  • Spirit Vessel
  • 2 secret weapons...
The Shamanism Datapack adds new magical content and mobs to Minecraft based around the power of spirits.

GRAVITY GUNS

Have you ever wanted to pick up and throw mobs in Minecraft? Either way, now you can! With the Gravity Guns V2 Data Pack by Code202. This new, upgraded version of their previous Gravity Guns pack was published this week and it does exactly what you would expect it to do. Fun!

Be sure to visit the submission page to find out how it works, and to view some video's that demonstrate how you can make your own gravity gun and start throwing creepers across the desert.

๐Ÿคญ

Special thanks to data pack makers HuoKnight and Wyvernity for recommending cool data packs to feature this week! ๐Ÿ˜Š

PMC TIP!

๐Ÿ’ญ Did you know.....

We saw a forum post this week that prompted this little blurb here. The forum and comments thereafter lead us to believe that not knowing about this specific feature might be more common than we think... So, here's a little "did you know" we thought you might find helpful!

A while back, we made a cosmetic update to submission pages that made them a bit more tidy and clean, effectively removing "duplicate" stats - you can no longer click diamonds or favorites to see a list of members who performed these actions. We moved those stats to the three-dotted icon, which reveals the Diamond and Favorite log as well as the feature on profile, embed and report buttons.

MINECRAFT COMIC

Are you ready for a fun Minecraft comic? Ercerus shared a story about the High Council of the Evokers, featuring a power-greedy king and some risky golem spawning experiments!

The comic was rendered with Mine-Imator and uses several Minecraft community resources. Be sure to visit the submission page for the list of member-made mob-skins that were featured in the comic!

The story goes with The Greenhouse Soul Spawners Adventure Map:

"The troops of the arch illager are ravaging the world. To make things even worse, his evokers have finally figured out how to make use of empty spawners. It is your task to travel to an ancient, underground greenhouse complex and to set an end to whatever it is they figured out."

๐Ÿ‘‰ Click here to read the comic
๐Ÿ‘‰ Click here to play the adventure map
High Council of the Evokers

BEDROCK TEXTURE PACK

Realistic Vanilla by Endmir26 "is a Texture Pack for Bedrock (and soon Java) that changes textures and models to make them realistic or logical without breaking the decoration, lore, and Vanilla touch of Minecraft."

Be sure to visit the submission page for an overview of which things are changed in this pack!

Banner DIn blocks, ores have variant textures to make them look natural.
And in items such as swords, shovels, pickaxes, axes, hoes, and armors have different shapes depending on their material, for color blind people who cannot identify them with the naked eye I am not color blind but I am aware of the problem of thinking tha

HD GHAST

Nico_N amazed us with this incredible set of mob-skins of a sad ghast in its normal state, and when shooting a fire charge!
The perfect addition to your Minecraft world if you want to give this ghostly inhabitant of the Nether an upgraded look. ๐Ÿ‘ป

90'S SKIN PACK!

New PMC member zxter and their colleague pixel-painter horos made a smashing first impression with their back to the 90's Skin Pack that includes 8 variations of skins with cool outfits from this decade! Welcome to Planet Minecraft, both! We're happy to have you and are hoping to see more work soon! ๐Ÿ˜

COMMUNITY DESIGNED SKIN

This week, PersonWhoPlaysMinecraft published their third Community Designed Skin. In this fun creative process, members of PMC comment their ideas for different parts of a skin-to-be-made in a wallpost, and the outcome is selected out of all the suggestions. The result is great fun! ๐Ÿ‘‰

Below you see the previous two editions. We're already looking forward to the next one! ๐Ÿ˜

Wallpost Request #1

Wallpost Request #2

ONE YEAR BUILD

3D Art builder Rnscat shared a project that took them A YEAR to finish! A build featuring the characters Rem, Ram and Emilia from the game Re:Zero. The build process was recorded and can be seen in the YouTube video on the submission page!

FARMERS COTTAGE

Minecraft-Instagrammer Jinaichu shared their first PMC submission this week ๐Ÿ˜ A lovely farm to start out on! ๐Ÿ€ ๐Ÿ
The build was created using several creative community resources, making its very cute and detailed interior and surroundings possible!
Be sure to visit the submission page for links to everything you need to download in order to vies this map in the game.

Welcome to Planet Minecraft, Jinaichu! We're already looking forward to any next projects!

Open this spoiler if you like cats! ๐Ÿฑ
It was cat time! ๐Ÿ˜ On Thursday this wall-post by FishStacks sparked the PMC community to share photo's of their cats in wall-posts.
We wouldn't want any pet-loving-members to overlook this, so here's a compilation of several cats that made an appearance on Planet Minecraft this week!

FishStacks's cat, the fire-starter!

Sassafras: "Did someone say cat time?"

LadyBerry's cat time? Bed time!

DinowCookie's cat taking a looong nap

Wannabe Technoblade's wannabe cat?

Asp_B's beautiful Ishtar

Cyprezz & PMC's Onyx, he knows he's cute!

inzanely's gorgeous photo of their family's cat.

CaraRose's adorable little Mars. ๐Ÿฅฑ

Campestral's Fancy says hi!

CactiFern's smol floofy friends

& mitten kitten!

SouthDakotaGirl's cats ๐Ÿฑ

LadyBerry's "other cat"

CraftyGamer_'s previous cat

PersonWhoPlaysMinecraft also found a cat

DreamWanderer's goofy companion

IndigoDusky's "stereotypical cat"

Spongie & Kaos_Kitten ready to cat-nap Chiaroscuro's cat

HuoKnight decided that it's now time for dog day

Whose cat won the #cutebattle?

OFFICIAL INTERVIEW

This week's official interview is with...
blisschen!

Blisschen has been a member of Planet Minecraft for about a year and is an exclusive Java Edition player. She's a cozy, cottage core aesthetic enthusiast, and as we learned from this interview, a geniunely dedicated content creator! Her dedication, in fact, has worked well for her as she grew her audience fairly quickly on several social media platforms. We absolutely love her quaint cottages, humble homes, and seasonal builds that have just as much detail on the inside as the outside! Here are a few of our favorite submissions from her:

Grandpa's Farm from Stardew Valley
Candy Corn Halloween A-Frame
Beekeeper's Cottage & Apiary

How did you get started with Minecraft?

I first learned about Minecraft in 2012 from watching the Yogscast, especially their modded Forge series. I originally purchased the game in 2013 and it has always been a very comforting and nostalgic game for me to play. I also originally played a ton of Minecraft Lite (the very old app store version!) on my iPod Touch, and have been searching for the original 1.0.0 release for a while now, since you can’t access App Store purchases on older iPods anymore.

What is it about Java edition that you enjoy so much?

This is a slightly biased take, but since my very first experience with Minecraft was Java Edition (and I spent a bulk playing on modded FTB and Direwolf 1.6!), it remains the sole version near and dear to my heart. When I was introduced to the game, there wasn’t much established “meta” so to speak, and watching creators do playthroughs that told complicated stories or making detailed 3D art created from hours of work—but to do that in the very same game was such a new and exciting concept. Minecraft was revolutionary for its time! I know that Bedrock has done a lot to get Minecraft into the hands of people who never even thought of playing the game before, but I find that the modding scene is way behind where Java Edition is.

What draws you to the cozy & cottagecore aesthetic?

For the unaware, cottagecore is a romanticized interpretation of western European agricultural life, in a mix of pre-urbanization rural American isolation and this idealized pastoral life in countryside Europe, and man, was I enthralled the moment I found it on TikTok and Tumblr! I started posting smaller “cottagecore” house builds on Tumblr every now and then in the second half of 2019, but only started recording and editing my cottage builds together into videos for YouTube and TikTok after “two weeks work from home” turned “indefinite work from home” in early April 2020. It was super helpful as a mental escape while processing some really heavy emotions and situations.

Your profile indicates you are “the mushroom lady” on tiktok. Are mushrooms a part of the cottagecore aesthetic, or do they have a personal meaning to you?

The mushroom lady actually comes from my mushroom hat that I started wearing in my very early YouTube videos, mainly as a way to show off CITs (which are resource packs that allow 3D items to be show in your game without mods). I swapped between a flower-covered straw hat and the now-iconic mushroom hat, but ended up wearing the mushroom hat more and more as I got into the cottagecore aesthetic. But actually, my first piece of fan art had my lady wearing the mushroom hat, and I decided I loved it so much, that the mushroom hat would be part of all my official art from then forward! (And special thanks to my artist, Alzbern, who’d never drawn a mushroom hat before but still decided to jump on board!)

Would you say that your real-life style/aesthetic is close to your Minecraft cottagecore aesthetic, or at least partly inspired by it?

I’m not afraid to ruin my cottagecore aesthetic by throwing on a pair of leggings (with pockets, mind you) and a print t-shirt! When I’m not relaxing, however, I wear a lot of solid neutrals and earthy colors, fun patterned button-ups (I actually have a mushroom button-up from Carmico, a lovely lady from Canada!), and various comfortable jeans. I work in STEM so it’s impossible to go full cottagecore, but using neutral and warm natural colors everywhere makes it still very cozy! I still haven’t figured out how to cottagecore my AirTag yet, but I’ll get there eventually!

You recently hit level 50 on PMC, congratulations! You managed to do that in almost exactly 1 year. What advice do you have for newer members who are looking to level up on Planet Minecraft?

Thank you so much! It’s wonderful going around and demanding my Twitch mods (and dear friends) address me as Grandmaster uwu, never thought I’d see the day. /s I think the best advice is not just posting because you want to see interactions on your work, but posting because you’re truly enthusiastic about sharing what you’re doing (and then watching the interactions go up!). I also really love talking about CIT resource packs because they’re very easy for beginners to start modeling with. I know a lot of very popular packs these days were made by people who have no background in Minecraft modding or 3D modeling.

What is it the most you like about Planet Minecraft?

The little monthly/seasonal pets in the banner art, of course! Ugh, so adorable! I also love browsing the land builds to see what other people have been up to, or looking at trending resource packs to check out what’s popular right now. I especially like finding little packs like Long Bees or Fat Cat because you can tell these creators had a lot of fun creating their packs!

Who inspires you?

It’s very difficult to name just one person, because I look up to so many incredible people and fellow creators, but my dearest partner would be one of the people I most look up to. They originally encouraged me to start posting videos, and still provides me with feedback on videos and other social media posts that go up. Without them, it would be difficult to find the mental space to manage everything, so all my thanks is directed toward my truly amazing partner most of all.

You’re very successful on TikTok, Instagram and YouTube. Which platform did you start out on? Which one is your favorite to create content for? Do you run everything yourself or do you have a team? If you run everything yourself, how do you manage your time?

I have been on YouTube for about five years, and it was my original platform, but I enjoy TikTok the most because of how unique the format is. Content I create on YouTube also has a part to play on TikTok and Instagram, so I always have something to show folks! I create, render, edit, upload, and manage everything myself, and it took a lot of trial and error to find a good balance between my own personal time and social media! I actually had to have a good talk with myself halfway through my first six months. I was working IRL, producing two YouTube videos a week, and posting on TikTok three-four times a week, and that just isn’t healthy for anyone to do alone. It was the first time I actually felt suffocated by social media. I’ve found a good balance now with high-quality content once or twice a week, and take advantage of scheduling posts wherever possible and using different services like IFTTT to automate my smaller details.

Is making Minecraft content a full time job for you?

I work in STEM, and while it’s enjoyable and tech-forward work, I’d love to make Minecraft my full-time job… there just needs to be a few more pieces coming into play before that happens. (*crossing fingers*) On a less serious side, one of my friends jokingly offered to PayPal me to quit TikTok for a month, and I had to say that if he tripled that offer, I still wouldn’t think about it, which is just mind-blowing to me! I’m truly blessed to have such a wonderfully large audience, and don’t enjoy selling things or advertising, so services like Twitch, YouTube, TikTok are my main source of income.

What do you think has contributed to your success and do you have any tips for someone looking to become a successful Minecraft content creator/gain more followers?

I try to be an honest and open content creator, and even my followers are surprised to see that I’m active in my own Discord, on social media, responding to folks, etc. If you truly enjoy what you are doing and share that enthusiasm to the world, that’s the single best way to get noticed. I myself get a bit anxious watching the numbers go up, so I try to avoid looking at my own follower counts or statistics pages, but I especially try not to negatively put myself down seeing more “popular” content creators with millions of followers. It’s just not conductive having that much pressure on your shoulders while creating. Also, it’s my personal opinion that hashtags are useless, focus on highlighting what makes you unique and let the content do the talking!

Tell us about a highlight or two of your Minecraft journey so far.

Building with my viewers and mods back during the October Buildtober challenges I was running! For a short while, I had a Minecraft server set up and the idea was that I could build with folks live—and man it was incredible! We had originally had seventy slots, but the demand to join the server quickly filled up every single slot and nearly crashed the server multiple times with the amount of people trying to join. (It was legitimately a solid wall of join requests, I had two mods just dedicating their evenings toward keeping the server alive!) It was sheer chaotic fun, and I’d love to set up something properly to support more people once the worldwide server shortages settle down. It was a touching moment as a creator to not only see Twitch chat reacting, but also people in-game cheering along. I remember in… I think it was the apothecary build, someone sneakily swam right up behind me and then popped out of the water and made me jump IRL!

What sort of music do you enjoy? Perhaps share your favorite song with us ๐Ÿ˜Š

I actually have a running public list of music I listen to on Spotify here! It’s a categorically wild collection of alternative rock, k-pop, experimental, and simply music that makes me happy. My absolute favorite song though is satellites** by Enter Shikari, which last year Spotify told me I was in the top 2% of listeners for that song… I guess other people might consider that a problem!

What other games do you like to play?

I’m a huge fan of MMORPGs, so Final Fantasy 14 and Black Desert Online have my heart. I also play the Sims (specifically Sims 2) and have a soft spot in my heart for the Nintendogs franchise, which was my first video game ever! I play lots of Beat Saber and Cities Skylines, and plan on picking up Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order once it goes on sale again!

What are your other hobbies?

It may shock you, but I’m a huge reader! One of my favorite series is the Teixcalaan duology, and I recently finished the second book and proceeded to Have Big Emotions™ after I completed the very last page! I also love mechanical keyboards, and have built three custom boards. My most used board right now is my NK65 Milkshake Edition. I also am a huge writer of both fantasy and nonfiction essays about social media. I really enjoy telling stories from experiences, and hope to one day publish at least one book made out of what I've written!

Describe yourself in 3 words!

Surprisingly introverted, open-hearted! ๐Ÿ’›

This weekly was brought to you by DinowCookie and PMC!
PMC
Support
Level 100 : Transcendent Cake