🌍 The PMC Weekly October 11th, 2020chrome_reader_mode

PMC's Avatar PMC10/11/20 10:36 am history
44 emeralds 973 19
10/13/2020 11:05 am
McMeddon's Avatar McMeddon

Happy Sunday! In this week's weekly, we're highlighting the ongoing fall and Halloween contests and events, announcing a couple of new community contest and events that popped up this week, a collection of Boss skins, a little bit of Minecraft Live, an interior, an interview and more! Have a great day everyone!

OFFICIAL EVENTS AND CONTESTS

PROJECT CONTEST
The goal is simple: Create a structure that fits within the dimensions of one chunk (16x16 blocks). It can be as tall as 3 blocks, or as gigantic as 255 blocks, but it must be contained within one chunk. Nothing can extrude beyond these dimensions--looking at you, trees!

Download the starter map here!

Deadline
: October 26

PLAYER SKIN CONTEST

As miners spend countless hours gathering precious and semi-precious resources from underground, they find themselves suiting up for or even evolving to their cave surroundings. Let's create skins that feel appropriate underground. Maybe the next time you're mining you'll find yourself dressing for the occasion or never seeing the light of day again! Use this description as inspiration or search for some on/offline to create a skin for the Miners and Cave Dwellers Player Skin Contest!

Deadline: October 26

COMMUNITY EVENT
Spooooopy dooopy do! In this official non-competitive community event, you can submit up to 5 Halloween Themed creations! Non-competitive means no competition! Purely for fun. Read all of the Event rules here and if you have any questions, visit this forum thread!

NOTE: If you change your profile to be Halloween/Autumn themed, tag PMC or comment in this forum thread. We will add you to a list!

Deadline: November 1
https://i.imgur.com/WzIUL77.png

COMMUNITY EVENTS AND CONTESTS

NEW!
If you've always wanted to participate in Skintober but have been intimidated or overwhelmed by the task of completing 31 skins?! Or perhaps you have a busy schedule and can't fully commit. Kaos_Kitten came up with the perfect solution!

OC-Tober is very similar to Skintober but instead of making a skin every day, you make a skin every 4 days!

Deadline: October 31

Zhyrr just launched a terrain only contest! In their contest, you must make a map with at least 2 biomes that are not yet introduced in Vanilla Minecraft. Your map must also be a minimum of 512 x 512 and be in 1.12.2 in vanilla format (no modded blocks).

Deadline: November 11

PARTICIPANT ROUND UP!
The contest below is looking for more participants! In this palette contest, you're challenged with a fall-inspired color palette.

Link to PMCSkin3D with palette

Deadline: October 28

CONTESTS AND EVENT ENDING SOON:

😁 (Skins) TypeTitle + LinkHostDeadline
Themed ContestMy First PMC ContestambroseiaOctober 11

OTHER HIGHLIGHTS

WILD WILD WEST
Howdy, partner! artemin01 created a wild west railroad town set in Utah in the year of 1886. The build features farms, camps, a loon, a bank, and land office, a sheriff's office , some shops, cabins, a farm, a church and more!

Using historical articles, pictures an plans, artemin created this build with the maximum amount of detail according to history. No wonder it looks real from afar! They state that "Movies, books, Red Dead Redemption 2" helped them a lot with designing the overall town plan and landscape.

The terrain is also on point, resembling the droughts that desolated the dry plains. Free download here!

Stream Server Special
Once again, DragonsDungeon organized a team of skin creators in an attempt to take over the entire trending page of PMC. The Boss Battle Collection, unlike previous collections, is cross-media and does not select for a specific popular medium to work with. No more exclusively Mario or Sonic; everyone is welcome! The only rule was that it must be able to be perceived or listed as a boss character!

There were a total of 31 boss skins created for this trending takeover event! To check out the awesome skins, Dragons made a collection!

Commando Pirate | Metroid Prime 3 [Battle of our boss skins] Minecraft Skin
Commando Pirate | Metroid Prime 3 by DragonsDungeon
Byrne - Battle Of Our Boss Skins Minecraft Skin
Byrne | Zelda by Chabileo
Kil'jaeden (WoW) - Battle of our Boss Skins Minecraft SkinKil'jaeden | World of Warcraft by Obscurum
Malthael, Angel of Death | Battle Of Our Boss Skins Minecraft Skin
Mathael, Angel of Dargness | Diablo3 by kodayne

MINECRAFT LIVE
Did you miss Minecraft Live?! You may have already heard the big announcement of the upcoming 1.17 Caves and Cliffs update!

This update will include Goats, lush caves, axolotls, improved cave generation, dripstone caves, sculk growths, wardens, telescopes, amethyst geodes, copper and so much more!

Shireen has been releasing short showcase videos featuring each of these new additions! Be sure to check out the videos below:

If you can't wait for 1.17 to add the adorable axolotl and mysterious Warden, ewanhowell5195 created a pack that adds both of them! This pack adds the Warden mob as a Ravager replacement, and the Axolotl mob as a Salmon replacement.

Were you hoping for the ICEOLOGER to win? Well, ewan also create a pack that adds them! They've renamed them as Chillagers, and they replace the Evokers.

INCREDIBLE INTERIOR
This modern interior by Immerse is so clean and pristine and is one of our favorite modern interiors we've seen! They use the Archrealist HD pack to create a cozy first floor. We love the wrap-around couch, the decorations, the bar stools and especially the wood floor. A dream of an interior! You can download the map here!

INTERVIEW!

This week's interview is with...
Inro! Inro has been a member of PMC since November of last year and is a very active member in the community! They've given over 2,000 diamonds, participated in over 13 official contests and events, landing third place in the Aztecs and Egyptians Minecraft Skin Contest and placing as a finalist in a few others. If you're subscribed to them, you know that they have a unique skinning style. We wanted to learn more about them and their creative process.

How did your Minecraft experience begin?
There was a famous S.Korean Minecraft YouTuber named Ddotty, and that man-made Minecraft seems so fun. I knew it looked fun, but it wasn't enough to make me buy the game. Later on, as I became more interested in English content, I started watching a variety of Minecraft animations which led me to watch 'don't mine at night.' For some unknown reason that made me want to legitimately buy the game. Now it's a known fact that Minecraft isn't cheap. I didn't buy it and instead, I tried the 30 min demo. And my, I can't even express how happy and haunted I was with the weird beauty of the game! It was magical playing the game myself I have been simply watching in a tiny screen for two years. And the toolbar was a lot bigger than I expected too. I enjoyed the free 30 minutes and got killed by a spider at night. I bought the game eventually at 1.12 and fiddled around at first, being so amazed at the sight of an igloo and praising myself when I managed to change my skin into Alex. After a couple of experiences with survival, most of the time played with the friendly creative mode. Then I found servers were a thing. It was just all a magical experience.

Do you still play Minecraft?
I do, yes, quite a lot actually, in search of my beloved pig(Named Varken) in the Aeonis server after I lost it & to test out my skins

I also love to explore a normal vanilla worlds in creative with shaders; it helps shake away the stress over the painful weeks of zoom classes.

What inspired you to start making skins? How did you learn (through tutorials or self-taught)? Are there any tips or tricks you'd like to share for someone that's just starting out with skinning?

I visited PMC frequently enough to findNahand after I found them and PMCskin3D, I went full-on skinning.

Though pixelstories did inspire me, Nah's skins were the ones to make me start the entire skinning thing.

When I first started skinning I used to watch a lot of Beanie's speedskin videos which taught me the very basics of shading a skin. I didn't have a lot of problem with color palettes; I drew a lot before the skinning era :) but I do have problems with color palettes now For the rest I just stared at skins, admiring the detail and colors- I still do that, and I recommend it.

That's my tip. Stare at skins 101.

You have a very unique style and your color palettes are always so gorgeous. Is there anything that influenced your skin style and how do you come up with your palettes?
Staring. Intense staring at skins. I don't know how I can explain...I guess the only thing I did was continue skinning and never seeming to give up on it, spending an unhealthy amount of time everyday skinning :P

Making a decent color palette is still a very difficult task more me though.

Do you plan on attempting HD Skins?
Maybe? I'm a bit scared of HD skins, to be honest. Their eyes reflect my deepest fears....

That was somewhat true-

But probably not. HD skins take way to much time to make and I prefer the non HD skins a lot more. I am far too used to non HD skins. Now not wanting to move on to different things aren't always the best choice, but I want to stay with the originals for now.

What skin are you most proud of? Why?
The skin I am most proud of is definitely Cape Frog.

I loved how the cape came out, the overall mood and palette..I think it's my best skin yet. The design also wasn't overly complicated. Instead, it was clean and simple, unlike my many other skins. I really wish to make skins like Cape Frog in the future.

What is your favorite skin that another member has made?
-Lunatique's Stranded Dude

I love every single thing about the skin. I wonder why I haven't favorited it till now.

I love the transition between colors as well, it creates this mood where I genuinely feel sorry for this dude for being stranded.And I get to wonder how this dude got stranded in the first place. He seems depressed.

What do you enjoy most about Planet Minecraft?
Being able to be interviewed by a legendary cake!

I enjoy basically everything. I enjoy the wall posts, the supportive members of the community, seeing legendary skinners return, chatting with skinners of PMC, staring at skins, giving out diamonds, reading comments, writing a comment, being able to keep a thread alive, going through previous events and contests, joining a contest, joining a team, getting a nice texture pack, downloading a new skin to remake, reading DragonsDungeon's wallposts which are exceptionally good and interesting, and it just goes on forever. I guess out of all those, I enjoy PMCskin3D the most, since thats my career here heheh

Do you have any goals on the site (subscriber goal, perhaps win a contest, etc).
Something that I want to accomplish this year will be making an art blog of PMC fanarts. Not a huge one, just about a dozen artworks-

Is there a specific member that inspires you or you look up to? Who/Why?
oooh this is...this is hard. Yes, there definitely is, but I can't name who specifically.

Indraft for this month, and likely for the rest of the year would be the member I'll look up to. All her skins are so unique with great designs and vibrant colors. She's also a great artist. Her designs are the kind of design I wish to make. Simple and clean, but somehow visually, it looks detailed. I've been downloading her skins and remaking them for fun, and managed to get the permission to post one, which was Bounce.

Do you have any other hobbies alongside Minecraft? What are they?
Drawing! I've been into traditional art recently so all I have in my file currently are a couple of extremely lazy artworks and I can't seem to find my tablet pen >:(

Stay hyped for my PMC fanart blog! I really can't post these artworks in my file here; they're far, far too lazy and undone- my apologies.

Do you have any pets? (perhaps include a picture?!)
I do, yes! She's a pineapple conure, and she's extremely....powerful. I named her 'Amell' for the following reason; it means she's powerful as an eagle.

Unfortunately, she won't let me take pictures of her so I'll show you my two favorite images of Amell eating chips taken from my mouth while I was gobbling on them. Pesky bird!

Amell has been enjoying a very free life. After she taught herself how to open every cage door there is in her cage, I now just let her roam free in my room. After school, I let her free entirely so that she can roam around the house. Some dangerous parts of the house is of course sealed but the rest is still more than enough for her to explore. And rip. And chew. And scream.

She- she's a good bird.

Describe yourself in 3 words!
Weird, Lazy, and awkward

What career are you hoping to pursue?
Ultimately art. I want to become a concept artist in an indie game company actually- Like this mr.Matt Nava here. The art director of a game called Journey. (I want to try music as well but cellos aren't a trend, are they?)

Favorite quote or words of wisdom for the community? OR Do you have any advice for new members of PMC?
'Don't be sad because it ended, be happy because it happened!'

I liked how ironic this quote was considering how amazing 2020 was

Anything you'd like to add?
I'm very excited for the 10th PMC anniversary!
PMC
Support
Level 100 : Transcendent Cake