🌍 The PMC Weekly September 19th, 2020chrome_reader_mode

PMC's Avatar PMC9/19/20 3:56 pm history
37 emeralds 1.7k 23
9/26/2020 11:06 am
Papa Enny's Avatar Papa Enny

Welcome to the 60th Weekly in Forum Thread Format! In this edition, we're covering the usual new contests and events, a massive survival map you'll want to explore, a data pack based off of all of the epic abilities in Zelda: Breath of the Wild, a data pack that went trending on reddit this week, an HD Skin remake and and interview with an inspiring Minecraft Map designer!

OFFICIAL EVENTS AND CONTESTS

DEADLINE APPROACHING

You have 2 days left to submit your entry into the Mythical Creatures Mob Skin Contest! Steam credit and pixel art trophies are up for grabs for top 3 winners!

icon
Deadline: TUESDAY September 22

COMMUNITY EVENTS AND CONTESTS

NEW!
ATTENTION terraformers and those interested in terraforming! DeltaResearch is hosting a Terraforming contest Maps must be at least 512 blocks square and MUST contain at least 2 biomes. Winners receive some epic renders!

Deadline: October 31

In celebration of their 100 subscribers, Fqsh is hosting a palette contest called Dragon Fly! The Palette is based off of the colorful flying creatures. Side note: Did you know there are over 7,000 species of dragonflies?!

This palette features blues and greens:

Click to import into PMCSkin3D!

Deadline: October 15

Other New Contests:

😁 (Skins) TypeTitle + LinkHostDeadline
Themed ContestMagical Space ContestXxmaSssOctober 1
Reshade Contest

The Misadventures of the Bee Boy
vonk
October 24

COMMUNITY CONTESTS AND EVENTS ENDING SOON:
🏠 (Projects) TypeTitle + LinkHostDeadline*
Build Contest
Interior Decorations
Juliancito135
September 20
😁 (Skins) TypeTitle + LinkHostDeadline
Themed Contest
💎 Diamonds
SaneGamer
September 20
Palette Contest
Desert Creatures
LogMaiden
September 21
👽 (Other) TypeTitle + LinkHostDeadline
Themed Competition
Minecraft Story Competition - Into the Nether
DDaCoder
Be sure to head over to the Community Event Calendar for a complete overview of current events!

OTHER HIGHLIGHTS

LUXURIOUS LANDSCAPE
At first glance, this map doesn't even appear to be Minecraft. However, we reassure you that this 4k x 4k map by Arkady is not only made in Minecraft, but it's also survival friendly and includes a free download! This map features a mountain range with lush forest and steep cliffs as well as sandy beaches and deserts, and a few islands!

FEATURED YOUTUBER
This week's featured YouTuber is Howzieky! Howzieky's channel was established in October of 2011 and just recently started making videos again! You will find several Minecraft Command Block Tutorials and Concepts.

Their most recent video is an overview of their Breath of the Wild in Minecraft Data Pack! This pack has been a work in progress for over 5 months and includes Bullet Time, all Champions, Elemental Arrows, and wall climbing! The video goes over the trials and errors and ultimatley the solution of figuring out how to use 1.16 commands to reproduce Zelda actions in Minecraft, and is very insightful!

This week the pack also went trending on reddit! The thread currently has almost 3,000 upvotes!

TRENDING ON REDDIT
Big Papi's Bouncy Difficulty Challenge went trending on reddit this week! The Data pack features: bouncing off all blocks, bouncing off walls, all hostile mobs bounce at you, arrows bounce 3 times and more! It also includes a new item called Rocket Baguette, which can be crafted from gunpowder, blaze powder, iron and bread. The Rocket Baguette propels you forward.

You can download the pack here! The reddit thread has over 39,000 upvotes and nearly 350 comments!

FEATURED SKIN
Michiru continues to amaze us with their HD Skin re-makes. This week, they submitted 4 HD Editions of their standard resolution skins.

Our favorite was just submitted today and includes an HD version of their entry for the official contest Egyptians & Aztecs, Xōchiquetzal. Even after 10 hours of creating this spectacular skin, Michiru also created renders for the HD Skin as well as Art! We admire their work ethic and how they recreate their Minecraft skin in several forms of art.

Xōchiquetzal - CE Minecraft Skin
Standard version
Xōchiquetzal - HD Edition Minecraft Skin
HD version

This week's interview is with.....
billoxiiboy ! Billoxiboy (Andrew) has been a member of Planet Minecraft since 2017. During his time here, he's made 41 submissions, has given over 6,000 diamonds, and continues to update the community with his progress on his latest projects. Andrew's maps are nothing short of unique, detailed, well polished and presented. You'll find a video tour/trailer with most of his maps, well done renders, lores, and so much more in each of his submissions. We encourage you to take the time to check out his submissions, as we're certain they'll leave you inspired!

Interview Questions: billoxiiboy - Australian Minecraft Map Designer

How did your Minecraft experience begin?

I came to Minecraft very, very late. And when I did discover Minecraft, it was from a design aspect. My partner; who is a huge Console Gamer, thought that I would enjoy the design/building direction of the game. Having a background in Graphic Art, Minecraft gave me a boundless scope for design opportunities. I was addicted immediately. That was 6 years ago.

Do you still play Minecraft?
This is a little awkward to answer, and to many this will be a little soul destroying. But, I have never actually played a Survival Game of Minecraft. That's not to say that I don't love the concept or the attraction of the game. It's simply because I was introduced to the game as a building and design concept. This may explain some of my design choices to those familiar to my work.

What is your favorite submission you've made on PMC? Why?
To pick just one favorite submission would be a very hard task. Each of my submissions have been a learning exercise. I love to stretch myself and my skills. My Maps can be an exercise in Architecture, Landscape Design or Organic Creation. My Tuscany Submission is a definite contender as favorite - because it incorporates Architecture, Landscape Design, and also it's a region of the World I Love. My Aquatica Project was an incredible experience in Organic Building and just having Fun. I learned a lot about Organic Builds and having it featured on Minecraft.net Culture was a definite plus.

Tuscany

Aquatica

Aquatica Cinematic - Featured on Minecraft.net

You've submitted a fair amount of Medeival Builds to PMC. What inspired you to start building in this specific style?

The Medieval Build is a huge Genre in Minecraft. I think it very much ties in to popular Movies that depict the Style; such as Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and to a degree GOT. For me the attraction to the Architectural style came from a study of history when I was at school. Although I love modern building designs, I sometimes feel that modern designs lack the beauty of craftsmanship that the Medieval Genre depicts so perfectly. The Medieval building design also gives an amazing historical insight into elements of our modern houses. It was a time where people lived by the Seasons, and the Kitchen Harth was the central focus as well as the largest room of the House. Living by the Seasons ties perfectly into the game play of Minecraft - farming and mining. It makes us ask questions like - Why do we call our entrance way of our houses a " Hall"? Then imagine living without running water and a bathroom?

Medieval Musings Builds...

Can you tell us a little bit about your building process? How long does it usually take to build one of your average sized?

My building process can vary from organized to haphazard. Usually the process will begin with inspiration from a photo, a movie or a documentary. My Tuscany project began as an attempt to portray Medieval Architecture from a non-Anglo perspective. Most Medieval Projects portray English or German Medieval Architecture. Whereas I wanted to experiment with more eastern European styles.

• I will usually start the creative process with designing a world in World Painter. I will think of the appropriate terrain style, climate and consider sites to build on. The decision to include my Custom Trees at this point is a little controversial. I will usually plant the majority of the map in World Painter; avoiding the building sites. These can be individually planted after the building process.
  • I will then load the map into Minecraft and spend a huge amount of time just exploring the map. I will try to find what I call "The Money Shot". It will be the place that has the most picturesque view.
  • Once I have decided on the location to center the build, I will start creating a feature building and extend the map out from there. Not always a successful approach. As it can often require some moving of buildings and trees; even terrain. The organic approach is my usual method. However, I could certainly learn to be more organized like other builders; that map out their world and build to a plan.
Landscaping a New Map

Tuscany - individually planted areas

Do you also make your cinematics? They're beautiful!

Thank You! Yes, I do make my own Cinematics. Not having any training in this process means they can be a little less professional than I would like. I have the ideas, but often not the software training to realize those ideas. Oh well....I try real hard :P Making Cinematics have also been an exercise in learning. The learning never seems to stop. At the end of the day, they are a focus for the Map content. And most of all, they need to be just a bit of Fun. I use a screen capturing App called OBS Studios and CMD cam in-game camera Mod to create the footage. I source Royalty Free Music and make a special effort to feature the Musicians I use. I have used a lot of fellow PMC member - Aspirin60's Music in my Cinematics. Most people know her for her incredible Skins.

Island Beneath the Mist

Latest Cinematic - Mystery Lake Adventure MAp

What are your future goals as far as Minecraft goes? Do you have any projects lined up?

My future goals are to continue developing a career in making Map Designs and 3D Models for Marketplace Build Teams, like EverbloomStudios. Taking a break from Map design for a while, I have made some good progress in 3D Model Making - using BlockBench. Currently I am working on some Adventure Maps that will feature these Models.
Harp Seal
Shrimp
Tugboat
Moose

Is there a specific member that inspires you or you look up to?

I have many members that inspire me and whom I look up to. Many influenced my design directions I've taken. Many give me encouragement and artistic support.

Do you have any pets?
My partner & I have two French Bulldogs. Sister and Brother - Pinot & Dutch. Dutch looks a little different from his sister; as he came out a little less French Bull, and a whole lot more British Bull. He was a rescue.
Both are the center of our world and both make sure we remember that...oooof! Neither of them would agree that they are our pets....more like my partner & I are their Pet Humans. Bossy little things! But we love them to death

Pinot

Dutch

What Genre of music do you enjoy listening to?

I don't have a favorite band or group. I listen to a lot of music on SoundCloud. I listen to many different styles of music from House to Classical.

If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
If I could travel anywhere in the World, it would be to visit the Faroe Islands - part of Denmark. I love the extreme terrain and surreal landscapes. Perfect inspiration for creating in Minecraft.
Plan an epic weekend in the Faroe Islands

Favorite quote or words of wisdom for the community? OR Do you have any advice for new members of PMC?
My advice for new PMC members is to Explore, Explore and keep Exploring the site some more. There is so much to learn and absorb from other members and the millions of submissions available on PMC. Don't be afraid to subscribe or give diamonds. Feel free to ask members questions. Reach out and make friends with members. Read comments and see how others encourage and support their fellow members. PMC is a great place to discover the wonders of Minecraft!

And most of all HAVE FUN :D

Are you excited for Fall?!
(if yes, tell us why!)

PMC
Support
Level 100 : Transcendent Cake