SOPA = US Government taking away the internet, from everyone

Palaeos's Avatar Palaeos12/17/11 11:32 am
1 emeralds 3.3k 435
12/22/2011 2:06 am
SourC00kie's Avatar SourC00kie
The US government is currently trying to pass a bill which essentially will result in the internet being a useless invention, they will make it were a site with the potential to have illegal links or submissions can be taken down. That would also include this site, youtube, even places like facebook or twitter. Now, as i really dont have any personal experience in anything that would require me to actually have a life i shall refer you to someone I have subscribed to on youtube who happens to be British and have some legal experience and knowledge.

Also, if you are an american citizen please click the link below and send the pre-written E-mail to your congressmen (you can edit it if you want as well)

http://tinyurl.com/writetocongress

And to those of you who don't live in America who think this doesn't affect you, it does. many of the most popular sites (Youtube for one) are hosted in the states and so if this bill passes it will pretty much be kicked around by the government and proceed to not exist.

Thanks for reading and i hope they shoot all the idiots who thought this stupid thing up.

If anyone has anything constructive and/or on-topic feel free to add you thoughts, just please no flamewars.

(apologies if I in anyway shape or form offended or annoyed anyone on this site with my save the internet rant)
Palaeos
Super Moderator
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Turtle

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/22/2011 2:06 am
Level 45 : Master Blob
SourC00kie
Gah. I'm getting sick of this thread. People are fighting on completely off-topic debates and like some people have said previously, SOPA is now delayed. Go ahead and make this thread again in 2012 when the bill goes back up for voting.
12/22/2011 2:02 am
Level 42 : Master Lumberjack
Greadam
Oh yes... right. Of course I believe you. *cough*
12/22/2011 1:45 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Blacksmith
Tomyris
United Forever in our great American Union.
12/22/2011 12:41 am
Level 37 : Artisan Dragon
carvine1
funny
12/22/2011 12:39 am
Level 30 : Artisan Architect
adventurequest
They take down youtube? we take over SOPA
They take down internet? we take down AMERICA :O
12/21/2011 11:19 pm
Palaeos
sed11I'm not saying your supporting it >:/
I'm telling him the government are actually trying to do this >:/
I'll go a head and edit it to a better example..........

ok, the way you had worded it seemed as if you were trying to say i was for the bill, i apologize for over reacting to your post
12/21/2011 11:16 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Hero
sed11
Palaeos
sed11
-youyummWhich idiot told you this? Whoever did obviously doesn't know what communism is.

If your referring to the guy who posted the thread then they are actually trying to get the bill passed.

so let me get this straight, you believe I, the original post, are supportive of the bill? if so i kindly refer you to my post, read it then please correct your statement, as it stands now i am offended by your poorly written response to your quote

I'm not saying your supporting it >:/
I'm telling him the government are actually trying to do this >:/
I'll go a head and edit it to a better example..........
12/21/2011 11:16 pm
Palaeos
also, this thread has nothing to do with communism, look it up before being ignorant, yes as an american you should pretty much be opposed to it out of american pride and the like but at least know what you are talking about when you go off saying this that and the other are going to turn something into a communist thing
12/21/2011 11:14 pm
Palaeos
sed11
-youyummWhich idiot told you this? Whoever did obviously doesn't know what communism is.

If your referring to the guy who posted the thread then they are actually trying to get the bill passed.

so let me get this straight, you believe I, the original post, are supportive of the bill? if so i kindly refer you to my post, read it then please correct your statement, as it stands now i am offended by your poorly written response to your quote
12/21/2011 11:04 pm
Level 26 : Expert Engineer
Tryon
Communism isn't limited to taking away freedom, it's publicly controlling a nation under a strict set of rules that mandate a certain way of life. Pretty much it's governmental bullying, forcing people to do only what is allowed, and making them do it a certain way.
12/21/2011 10:40 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
doid11
-youyumm Whoever did obviously doesn't know what communism is.

Isnt communism taking away peoples freedome? And isnt taking away the internet killing our freedome? AKA comunism?

Just saying lol.
12/21/2011 10:34 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Ranger
ecstacy990
well a large group of hacker not goin to say the name of the group is at this moment creating a new internet unable to be censored yes let the rebellion begin!!!!!!!!!
12/21/2011 10:35 pm
sed11
Yeah but it won't include other sites :/
12/21/2011 11:30 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Ranger
ecstacy990
actually most sites will be rebuilt andor transferred depending on how fast we complete it
12/21/2011 11:33 pm
Palaeos
quick question. is this thing going to be hosted in/on american soil (or territories of the states)? if so, yeah, it will be censored, if not, it will be within a year or so should the bill pass that would even make this necessary
12/21/2011 10:29 pm
sed11

If your referring to the guy who posted the thread then the government *Not the poster...he's against it.* are actually trying to get the bill passed.
12/21/2011 10:26 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Cake
-youyumm
Which idiot told you this? Whoever did obviously doesn't know what communism is.
Plus the government would get sued to hell if this were to happen.
12/21/2011 9:58 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
doid11
just think about it, im not worried, because millions of gamers vs 9 people in the senate.

if that bill passes, i bet the senate will be on fire in a matter of 5 minutes.
12/21/2011 9:27 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Architect
topgearFTW
another problem i see with the gov doing this, is that if this goes through they will never be able to take away all of the sites that you can get the music from because most of the sites are not mainly for mp3 files they are for every thing.
12/21/2011 9:19 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Network
Kevin_Donovan
I am Against "SOPA" because most people make a living (Money) from the internet, So if they remove the sites used to produce cash, many people of America will be mad.
12/21/2011 9:13 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Chef
Lokibo
lets take SOPA, and push it somewhere else!
12/21/2011 9:22 pm
Level 24 : Expert Architect
deatheos222
if your talking about moving the U.S. goverment idk i didnt read alot of the stuff above but really? nations will fall and rise over time dont be the one to try to destroy a one and if you live in america i am sorry you are stupid because the quicker we fall other nations will move in to take over us.
12/21/2011 10:04 pm
Level 21 : Expert Geek
davison112
He was referring to the bill.

Man, our own government will destroy america before we have the chance to.
12/21/2011 9:56 pm
sed11
Get Patrick the SeaStar.
We need him now.
12/21/2011 9:02 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Pokemon
Epic_Ninja_1
Why are people even talking about this? As long as we don't have any copyrighted things (like a minecraft.jar) we shouldn't be worrying about this site!
12/21/2011 9:06 pm
Level 21 : Expert Geek
davison112
Wrong there. There are hundreds of skins of characters from games/movies, mods based off of other games, and texture packs from games/movies. That's alot of copyrighted material.
12/21/2011 6:05 pm
SourC00kie
Guys... even if this does ever pass, Google cannot be shut down. It is a search engine, which means it basically points to copyrighted sites. Google itself doesn't host any copyrighted content so it isn't breaking any rules.
12/21/2011 5:18 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Taco
megalazor8224
Now, shouldn't we go to canada? I mean, it's CANADA! Canada, the number one country in my opinion! Canada has all of the right stuff! And mostly my sister is a Canadaholic.
12/21/2011 5:10 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Miner
kiosho42
Tryon
kiosho42
BitemeDeathI love fags that don't listen.
The voting was today. IT FAILED its gone for a year.
They try this every year.
THIS IS SO LATE ITS NOT FUNNY

Shut the fuck up. First of all, that is factually incorrect. Second, the word fag is offensive to homosexals and bisexuals and is something that violates every single ideal that this site is for. You need to apologize.

While "fag" is offensive, so is f**k. You should apologize as well, we have minors on this site.

I do apologize. I am sorry.
12/21/2011 5:07 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Dolphin
sparpvp
Guys is google hosted in America? If it is then there goes google Nah the bill will never get passed!
12/21/2011 5:19 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Archer
marioman10
i think google has immunity to copyright laws.
12/21/2011 6:03 pm
Palaeos
at the moment yes (and by yes i mean they dont break any by what they do), if this passes no, and also google owns youtube so if google were shut down youtube would be gone too
12/21/2011 5:01 pm
Level 26 : Expert Engineer
Tryon
kiosho42

Shut the fuck up. First of all, that is factually incorrect. Second, the word fag is offensive to homosexals and bisexuals and is something that violates every single ideal that this site is for. You need to apologize.

While "fag" is offensive, so is f**k. You should apologize as well, we have minors on this site.
12/21/2011 4:55 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Miner
kiosho42

12/21/2011 4:50 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Creeper
11volt11

So, I guess we have to hold our breath again! Hooray for suspense! (Sarcasm)
12/21/2011 4:46 pm
SourC00kie

It's delayed for a month. Not a year. Voting will continue in January. Consider looking it up before posting.
12/21/2011 4:38 pm
11volt11
HaseoGUA
11volt11why is the legislative branch so dumb?

*coughdemocrats*

More like everyone, not just one party.

I know, I know... I'm forced to admit that it's everyone's fault, no matter how much I want to think it's the democrats' faults.
12/21/2011 4:24 pm
Level 27 : Expert Pokemon
HaseoGUA
Palaeos
HaseoGUA

*coughdemocrats*

^ this, politicians are pretty much guaranteed to be stupid as elections are really just popularity contests and therefore corrupted

It is sad really. Greed and corruption run rampant. This is why I think senators and congressmen and any other political figure should only be able to serve a set number of turns before they are kicked out.
12/21/2011 4:21 pm
Palaeos
HaseoGUA

*coughdemocrats*

^ this, politicians are pretty much guaranteed to be stupid as elections are really just popularity contests and therefore corrupted
12/21/2011 4:15 pm
Level 27 : Expert Pokemon
HaseoGUA

*coughdemocrats*

12/21/2011 4:10 pm
11volt11
why is the legislative branch so dumb?

*coughdemocrats*
12/21/2011 4:14 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Pokemon
gmng24
... or lobbyists.
12/21/2011 4:09 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Network
MissMarifire
Isn't the internet used by the government? If so, why would they trash it?
This does not sound right now.
12/21/2011 3:57 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Architect
topgearFTW
yea i also feel like were are being more restricted if this happens, im 98% sure it wont be passed but its just completely stupid.
12/21/2011 3:52 pm
Level 43 : Master Elf
Elmodag
OH
And, for those saying its dead, it isnt.
They are voting for it AGAIN after the winter recess.
SOPA IS STILL ALIVE.
12/21/2011 3:51 pm
Level 43 : Master Elf
Elmodag
I'm not reading anything anyone else has already said...
I disagree with this bill first off.
But, in the video, the guy states that they have the potential to take down major websites such as facebook, youtube, twitter and so on. This doesn't mean they will.
Honestly, if they were to do something as STUPID as block facebook, the whitehouse would get torched by 5,000,000 teenagers and college kids.....
Not to mention youtube....
Blocking any of these websites will f*** the us up forever
12/21/2011 4:26 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Archer
intheannexe
Yep, basically.

By the way, does anyone have a spare Guy Fawkes mask?
12/21/2011 4:03 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Demolitionist
EvilBiscuit
cud NOT have explained it better
12/21/2011 3:42 pm
EvilBiscuit
that is what im gonna do to SOPA sed
12/21/2011 3:28 pm
EvilBiscuit
oh ya, i get it, hwo are u gonna get 1million people to sign the petition in jsut 3 days lol, new year, ouch, this is not cool, if the bill passes, US is cursed, pernementaly u have to be honest, their will be so many haters of the US, SOPA will not stop piracy at all, the only difference it will make is the amount of people that will die, does anyone know how much some people are sucked into the itnernet
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome