jduartemiller's Avatar jduartemiller5/17/14 5:36 pm
1 emeralds 5.3k 119
9/9/2014 10:29 am
jduartemiller's Avatar jduartemiller
Results
1. Snaves: 138
2. Eagoy: 136
3. ImaLittleCreeper: 134

Now that i have reached 400 subscribers, i thought i would host yet another build contest. This one is going to be a little bit different. The judges will collaborate and choose four buildings for you to choose from to recreate (note, we may expand this if we become indecisive). It could be anything, any type of building, any era, with half of the buildings being from 1900 to the present, and the other half being from pre-1900s. You will not know what buildings they are until the contest actually begins. We will pool together 20-40 entries over the next couple of months, and when we reach that amount of entries, we will PM every entrant with the buildings (with images and source material), and you will have 120 hours to build one of the buildings that we listed as accurately and with as much detail as possible, and post it both to your profile on PMC and to this forum (if it is down to the wire, we will base your entry's time by the post on the project rather than on the forum).

Due to the nature of a contest like this, if you do not finish in time, please post your work anyways. We will judge on what is there, and you will get points for it

To enter, merely state that you wish to enter in the forum below, and i will add your name to the list of current entries.

Building Choices
THE CONTEST HAS BEGUN!!!!!

I know you all have been patiently waiting a while for this to start, and the day has finally come. We have a total of 23 entries so far (and you are still welcome to join if you come in later). Starting now, you have 120 hours to build one of these six buildings. The contest will conclude at 8 am PST on August 14th. Best of luck

These are the six projects that you will have to choose from. For most of these, we have provided the basic information about these buildings (the only exception is Umweltbundesamt, where most of the sites were in German and were difficult to find information on, thus it has more information included). This may not be all of the information you may need in order to build the project you want. You are encouraged to find more information on them to help you. Also, we understand that some of these buildings are more difficult than others. We are going to take that into account with our judging. Understand that we want you to challenge yourselves, and we reward risk. So don't be intimidated by the buildings we have chosen.

1900-Present day

Umweltbundesamt (2005)

(UBA) is the central environmental authority in Germany. They scientifically support the federal government, directly enforce the environmental laws of the country, and provide environmental information to the public. Designed by Sauerbruch & Gutton Architekten, the UBA Headquarters is a design exercise in net zero-energy buildings (a building that is able to produce enough energy for it to function on site). The building’s energy concept is based on the use of renewable energy, to which solar panels were built into the faceted roof of the entry area (Forum), and solar collectors were installed on the Forum’s flat roof. Both of these amenities are used for solar powered air conditioning in the building, mainly the auditorium and IT areas. Thanks to the geothermal heat exchangers – currently the world’s largest facility of this type with more than five kilometers of piping – exhaust air is conditioned underground and is used for heating or air conditioning depending on the time of year, as ground temperatures are stay more constant throughout the year. The formal concept was to create a snake-like shape with an atrium in the center to allow for the most light penetration into the offices and provide a pleasant space for the workers. The building was completed in 2005.

http://www.umweltbundesamt.de/en

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3601dTNWNU
Video has a digital model, apologies for it being in German, but the information is not really needed for building (talks about the environmental aspects of the building, such as PVs, windows, etc.

Backside of Umweltbundesamt

Massing plan and landscape

First floor plan

http://www.umweltbundesamt.de/sites/default/files/medien/publikation/long/4007.pdf
Information brochure for Umweltbundesamt

Torre Agbar

Torre Agbar is a 38 story high-rise office building in Barcelona, Spain designed by Jean Nouvel in association with b720 Fermin Vasquez Architectos and was completed in 2005. The overall design, as claimed by Nouvel, was inspired by Montserrat, near Barcelona, by the shape of a geyser. The most striking feature of the building is its louver system of sunshades. These sunshades are controlled by temperature sensors all around the building that close to reduce heat gain. The 4500 window openings in the building are cut into the structural concrete. At night, the building is illuminated by LEDs resulting in a spectacular light show.

Torre Agbar under construction

Close up of facade

Zimmerman House (1950)

The Zimmerman House, built in 1950 in Manchester, New Hampshire, is a house designed by Frank Lloyd Wright for Dr. Isadore and Lucille Zimmerman. The house is designed in the Usonian style, a term Wright coined for his houses that were typically small, single-story dwellings without a garage or much storage. His philosophy in residency was about simplicity in overall organization, a focus on every detail (from brickwork to the furniture), and always with a focus on composition. Wright believed his architecture was artwork, sometimes having the furniture bolted to the floors, having owners sign contracts to not put artwork "on his walls," and, most notably, making the walls purposefully slanted in the Guggenheim Museum in New York to make the artwork look wrong whether you aligned it with a level or to the contours of the walls. This house is designed around an L-shaped chimney, and like many of Wright's houses, has a focus on horizontality, being long with low overhanging roofs.

[simg]
[url]www.nhhomemagazine.com/_DSC2823.jpg[/url][/simg]
Interior

Floor plan

Pre-1900

Kinkaku-ji, or the Temple of the Golden Pavillion (1397)

This Zen Buddhist temple, built in 1397, is situated in a classical era Japanese garden, where the building is placed artistically within the landscape in a relatively simple manner. The building overall is of traditional Japanese architecture, with a focus on the joinery of the wooden members that make up the structure, but each floor expresses a different and distinct style: the shinden, samurai, and zen, expressed on each floor. What made this three story building particularly striking is the use of pure gold leaf, which contrasts against the green of the garden, This temple serves as a shariden, housing relics of the Buddha

[simg]
[url=2.bp.blogspot.com/-adG0xYOGObg/UkrjRFsFj8I/AAAAAAAAQTQ/OamphBbcIUc/s1600/P1200463.JPG]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-adG0xYOGObg/U ... 200463.JPG[/url][/simg]

Digital model of Kinkaku-ji
*may have some inaccuracies, this is meant to be for reference only

Basilica of Notre Dame De Fourviere (1884)

Built from 1872 to 1884, this Romanesque and Byzantine style minor basilica in Lyon is the dominating structure in the city. The exterior is most expressive of the Romanesque style, capturing the classical elements in its structure, something that was unique during this time in France, where most of the churches were dominated by the grey, stone-clad Gothic Revivals. The basilica is actually two churches in one, with the upper sanctuary being very ornate, and the lower being much more simple. The Basilica is sometimes known by its nickname, the "upside-down elephant."

St. Basil Cathedral (1561)

Note: We are aware of the complexities of the interior (the murals and artifacts). It is not necessary to include these, and will be considered extra within the detail section of scoring.

Saint Basil's Cathedral, officially known as the Cathedral of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos on the Moat, began construction in 1555 under orders of Tsar Ivan IV, and designed by Barma and Postnik Yakovlev. The original building, known as Trinity Church, and later as Trinity Cathedral, contained eight side churches arranged around the ninth central church of Intercession; the tenth church was erected in 1588 over the grave of venerated local saint Vasily (Basil). Each additional church around the Trinity Cathedral was meant to commemorate a victory for Ivan IV during the Russo-Kazan War. The church has received additions and renovations throughout the years, such as the distinctive colors being added from the 1680s to the 1840s, with the latest renovations being in September of 2008 with the opening of the restored sanctuary of St. Alexander Svirsky. The 25 seats from the biblical reference are alluded to in the building's structure, with the addition of eight small onion domes around the central tent, four around the western side church and four elsewhere. This arrangement survived through most of the 17th century. The walls of the church mixed bare red brickwork or painted imitation of bricks with white ornaments, in roughly equal proportion. The domes, covered with tin (though recovered in copper in a later renovation), were uniformly gilded, creating an overall bright but fairly traditional combination of white, red and golden colors. Moderate use of green and blue ceramic inserts provided a touch of rainbow as prescribed by the Bible. In the 16th and 17th centuries the church was perceived as the earthly symbol of the Heavenly City.

Diagrammatic floor plan

Note: interior structure and surroundings may require additional research through multiple images or other sources.

Best of luck. And remember to post what you have if you run out of time, you will still receive points for your project

Rules
1. Build can be any size, though be aware that proportional scale to the referenced building is important
2. Must be a new build, no rehashing old builds (though i doubt this will be much of a problem)
3. Must be an original build, and must be built solely by you, no collaboration efforts
4. Allowed to use a texture pack (note, judging will be done using default)
5. Must have a non-edited, shader-less image with your build (other images may include renders/modded screenshots, but note due to time constraints, this may not be desired).
6. All entries must abide by the 120-hour rule, any post that is late for whatever reason will be disqualified and you will receive a score of 0
7. Builds may be furnished, but this is not necessary to the build.
8. Must have a schematic and/or worldsave
9. One entry per person
10. You may use any program to build this (Survival, Creative, MCEdit, Worldedit, etc.)
11. Once the 120-hour period has commenced, you may still enter if you wish if you had not entered beforehand. the source material and images will be posted to the forum.

Judges:
GGJ16
NinamanOfficial
Jduartemiller

Judging Criteria
You will be judged on six areas, for a total of 50 points

Creativity 1-10 points
As all entrants will be using the same buildings as references, the creativity lies in how you put it together and on what materials you use. You may use other research material to help your build in this.

Accuracy 1-10 points
You are to try to get this build as close to the real thing as possible (this will be judged visually, we will not take out tape measures and measure the building, so don't worry about that)

Quality 1-10 points
are there any mistakes in the build, is it consistent?

Detail 1-10 (12) points
How did you detail the facade, how did you detail the interior (not including furniture). This is looking at how the building is put together, meaning the facade, the structure, the material choices, and the layering you put into the build. How did you address moving through the building, how did you address the materials? You may receive an extra point or two only in this category if you furnish your build, but you will not lose points for not furnishing it (meaning if you furnish it, it may only get you at most two extra points).

Landscape 1-5 points
This is asking how did you address the landscape around the build. This is not to make something look pretty, but to capture the environment directly around the building (while the surroundings may include other buildings, you are not to build them. You are to recreate the presence around the building itself as accurately as possible, such as trees, sidewalks, streets (only do immediate area), landscape, topiary, etc.)

Completeness 1-5 points
As this is only 5 points, you do not need to put as much emphasis on it. This is the only part of the judging you will be judged on for the completeness of the build. A score of 1 is a blank plot of land, a score of 3 is about half way done, a score of 5 is fully complete. This is up to the judges to determine, not your progress bar nor what you say in your post. They will not judge this on if you furnished the interior or not, so do not worry about that.

Prizes
First Place: Gold pixel trophy, diamonds on all projects and diamonds on your entry from all of the judges, subscription from me, a build request from me in my City project, and a shout-out on my profile forever. I will also do some renders for your project.

Second Place: Silver pixel trophy, diamonds on all projects and diamonds on your entry from all of the judges, subscription from me, and a shout-out on my profile for a month. I will do some renders for your project

Third Place: Bronze pixel trophy, diamonds on all projects and diamonds on your entry from all the judges, and a subscription from me. I will do some renders for your project.

There are two secret awards that will be revealed when the contest ends. The winners of these awards will receive a pixel trophy.

When we have reached the desired number of entries, the following morning at 8am PST, I will send the source information and the contest begins, 120 hours later, at 8 am PST, five days later, the contest will close.

Best of luck and thank you for participating. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and i will answer them as soon as i can

Already Asked Questions
When will the contest actually start?
The contest will start when we reach the desired number of entries (anywhere between 20-40), but it will start no earlier than about early August.

What buildings will we be making?
Due to the nature of the contest, we will not disclose that information until the contest actually begins. You can expect various styles to be represented. In the 1900-present day, you can expect styles from the modernism movement, deconstructivism, post-modernism, and many more, and from the pre-1900 eras, you can expect everything from as far back as the Roman empire, to ancient China, to the Renaissance, and to Art Nouveau. We are also intentionally varying the building types (houses, towers, churches, temples, etc.) as well, so expect a variety to choose from.

Can i suggest a building?
We are being rather secretive with the buildings so as no one can gain an advantage. And many of our choices are going to be intentionally obscure to ensure that these builds haven't been done much in minecraft, or are not that well known. This is to ensure that you cannot prepare. Just know that they will have varying degrees of difficulty to best appeal to all builders, both new and seasoned. If you suggest something, though, it probably won't fit into what we are already deciding upon.

Can you explain the scoring, particularly for the detail section?
Your build will be scored out of a maximum of 50 points. Each category will give you between 1-5 or 1-10 points. In the detail section, you can earn 1-10 points for the build, and up to two points extra for furnishing it. The way if you get 42 points total for your project, and you furnish it really well, you could get 44 points from a judge. But if two people get 44 points, and the other person didn't furnish it, they would be ranked higher than the one that did furnish it. This is to encourage a good build, rather than nice decor. Also, if you get 50 points for a truly spectacular build, and then you furnish it, you will still only get 50 points, as it is the maximum amount of points.

Do we have to do interiors?
The only parts of the interior that are required are floors/structural elements and other comparable things. We also take into account the limited information in some of the projects. Just do as much as you can for the project you choose.

Wait, we get to choose our project?
Yes, indeed. We give you six projects to choose from, and you get to pick any one of those six. This way you have a little bit of freedom in the matter.

Do we have to stick to the original build as much as possible?
As this is a contest to recreate a building, i would say yes. Accuracy is worth 10 points, so try to get it as close as possible (we understand there is some limited information on some buildings, but do the best you can with what you can find).

What version of Minecraft should we be using?
You should use the current (1.7.10) release version of Minecraft or any earlier version to create your project. This is what the judges will be using to judge your project. Any extra features/new blocks/etc. that are not compatible (due to use of snapshot versions) will not be taken into account due to them not being visible in our versions. If a world will not load due to this, we will be unable to judge the project (even though pictures may be posted on the project's page), and it will receive not receive a score.

How much detail must we put into the building's interior?
While furnishings and decoration is optional, and are part of the extra points for the detail section of the scoring, the requirement calls for structural elements of the build. If it has a basement where the core goes into the foundation, that's kind of an important thing to include. If cross-bracing is exposed on a building, that is an important thing to include. If the vaulted ceilings of a church have fresco painting on the ceiling with incredibly intricate detail of the face of God, while important for religious purposes, i would not ask for you to recreate that, as that would fall under decoration

How much of surrounding buildings do we need to do? What if another building is right up against ours?
You do not need to do anything of any other buildings surrounding your site. If you want to, and this is not a requirement, but something that could help your project visually, is that you can do the footprint of the building in question. Understand that this is not necessary, will not detract from your score if you do not do this. It is purely a personal aesthetic preference.

What if i don't finish in time, or i want to retire from the contest, should i still post what i've built?
This is entirely up to you, but we will be happy to judge your project on what you've built so far. If you have something truly spectacular, but it isn't complete, it will still receive a solid judging. Completeness is only 5 points out of a total of 50, so if you still wish to get a score, post it anyways, as we would love to see your work

If you have any question or have any doubts about what to do regarding your project, feel free to ask them in the forum or send me a personal message, and they will be posted here
jduartemiller
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/09/2014 10:29 am
jduartemiller
A new contest has been posted. It is geared a little differently, so you all will have more time to build. Check it out if you are interested.
08/31/2014 4:58 am
Level 11 : Journeyman Network
paintsniffer
Porn porn fuck the fat ass
08/24/2014 3:17 pm
jduartemiller
Your project was still pretty good, and even if more had projects posted, it would have ranked pretty high. You three did a great job, especially considering the time constraint
08/24/2014 3:12 pm
Level 44 : Master Wolf Whisperer
ImaLittleCreeper
Well ok then, I won't tell anyone there was only three people
08/24/2014 11:50 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer
Snaves
eagoy
Wow, close call here. No wonder why you and the judges had trouble judging the three entries. Anyway; Snaves congratulations on your first place!

Thank you!
Let me know about the next contest!
08/24/2014 1:49 am
jduartemiller
Here are the results

1st place: Snaves: 138
2nd placeEagoy: 136
3rd place: ImaLittleCreeper: 134

The builds were a joy to critique, and the projects were fantastic. It is a shame the others were not able to post in time. But for you participation, below is the pixel trophy. All entrants are free to post these however they please (if you want to resize the image, feel free). Due to the low turnout for this project (as i understand the 5 day time frame was a massive challenge), i will be doing another contest similar to this in content, but will give you more time. Keep a lookout for it, as it should be soon.

08/24/2014 10:08 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Lava Rider
eagoy
Wow, close call here. No wonder why you and the judges had trouble judging the three entries. Anyway; Snaves congratulations on your first place!

With this close call I ask once again for the judging criteria scores so I can see where I ¨lost¨ the first place. Including side-notes on the individual scores will even help me more as those are interesting to read.
08/16/2014 5:44 pm
jduartemiller
Give it a little time. We are considering some things, just wait and the results for the builds will be up soon.
08/15/2014 4:12 pm
ImaLittleCreeper
Suspense level: 1,000
08/16/2014 3:48 pm
ImaLittleCreeper
I'm dying in suspense over here xD
08/14/2014 1:28 pm
jduartemiller
A few entrants informed me beforehand that they couldn't enter due to various circumstances. Most of the entrants had seen the contest brief from the pm I sent, and a few had told me they were unable to finish (even though I said they should post it anyways). I may try to do a contest like this again, but with a little variation, and work on the announcement of the beginning of the contest more
08/14/2014 1:03 pm
Snaves
Are there only 3 actual entries submitted? I was expecting more, that's disappointing. They are 3 different builds at least, but I was hoping for more competition.

Click to reveal
08/14/2014 1:11 pm
eagoy
This ^^

A well than at least the judging could be quickly done if all the judges have time.

@jduartemiller
As a suggestion, why don´t you pm all the non-entry persons and ask why they didn´t enter although they said the would. So you can learn from it for, hopefully, future contests of yours.
08/14/2014 11:01 am
jduartemiller
The contest is now closed.

For those who want it, this is the participation trophy for the contest.

08/14/2014 10:25 am
jduartemiller
We only have 30 minutes left in the build contest. Get your entries in, even if they are not finished. If they are not in by 8 am PST, they will not receive a score.
08/14/2014 4:36 am
paintsniffer
If my terrain isn't done by the deadline could you judge it on the server? It's just the I don't want to upload a unfinished build, for quality reasons. I perfectly understand if this is not acceptable, but it would be a shame if it wasn't as I've worked my butt off for this, the actual building (and all those fricking details) are done its just the terrain which is non existent.
08/14/2014 5:25 am
jduartemiller
I'm sorry, MrWals, but you must have a world save for us to look at. i don't know the technical capabilities of my fellow judges, but for me, my network cannot support accessing servers all that well, which is the primary reason i posted in the rules that a project must have a schematic and/or world save. If there is any way to pull the terrain from the server into a world save, then do it, you still have some time left, but i'm afraid we cannot judge through a server.
08/14/2014 2:26 am
Snaves
Done!

Link: Basilica of Notre-Dame de Fourviere

Good luck all
08/14/2014 1:37 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Crafter
Chromesome
I want to join this contest.
08/14/2014 1:43 am
jduartemiller
We'd be happy to have you. Just so you know, the contest has been going for 4 days now and it will be concluding promptly at 8am PST (11 am EST) tomorrow, August 14th. If you can get a build in quickly, you can be in. I'll put you into the entry list. Best of luck
08/13/2014 11:30 pm
jduartemiller
The contest ends in under 12 hours. Remember, this will end promptly at 8 am PST tomorrow, so make sure you at least have your project up by then (remember, we judge by when it was posted, not by when it pops up on the forum. And also remember that the site is in EST, so 11 am on the website). Any issues with your network, with the site being down, or the beginning signs of the apocalypse will not delay the ending of the contest. While we may sympathize with the end of civilization, we will not change the rules. Best of luck with finishing up your projects
08/13/2014 11:41 pm
ImaLittleCreeper
Good to know if we all turn into zombies the contest will still end at 8 PST. Uploading my project in the next 30 minutes.... yay!
08/13/2014 3:31 pm
paintsniffer
Autism autism faggfjfjjdjfjdjdj
08/13/2014 3:23 pm
jduartemiller
Well, we only have a little under 20 hours left in the contest. We're really excited to see these projects. All trophies are done on our end, so now all that's left for us is to wait. Can't wait to see what all of you have done
08/13/2014 3:05 pm
ImaLittleCreeper
Wooah I'm not even 75% done yet
08/13/2014 1:13 pm
paintsniffer
After a 10 hour build sesh The building is done woot
08/13/2014 1:08 pm
eagoy
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/-kinkaku-ji-temple-of-the-golden-pavilion/

My entry, Kinkaku-ji

Good luck towards the others I am curious to see the results!
08/13/2014 10:28 am
eagoy
I only need to do some renders, plenty of time for with one day left. After that getting the description done and such.

I got enough of my build, especially the landscape. So that is why I now focus on some renders and a good description for my building as those are also important for a project.
08/13/2014 7:41 am
paintsniffer
Click to reveal
If i get the interior right big booty
08/12/2014 1:07 am
jduartemiller
We are a little over half way done. Hope everyone's projects are going well. I just finished up the main trophies (first, second, third place, and participation), and they look pretty nice. Still need to do the two extra secret awards.
08/12/2014 3:16 am
eagoy
It is going with mixed feelings.
I used a trick to get more detail in the building in which I succeeded, but I made some mistakes. To repair those I have to rebuild the damn thing and hoping the mistakes are gone and the rest is still good.

The trick has a downfall in which I am currently struggling to get things right. But it is hard. As those are not my speciality. You will see when judging.
08/11/2014 9:40 am
paintsniffer
ImaLittleCreeper
MrWals

I keep it secret for now. You haven´t stated your own so far.

Sorry, I'm doing the Lyon Basillica thing

I'm doing St. Basil Cathedral, and it's looking awesome so far

GG on the interior
08/11/2014 1:05 am
ImaLittleCreeper
MrWals

Sorry, I'm doing the Lyon Basillica thing

I'm doing St. Basil Cathedral, and it's looking awesome so far
08/10/2014 3:19 pm
paintsniffer
Fuck you masud
08/10/2014 12:14 pm
paintsniffer
Just out of interest what building is everyone doing?
08/10/2014 12:12 pm
paintsniffer
Use google earth Itll give a 3d image of some buildings
08/10/2014 12:05 pm
ImaLittleCreeper
Another question: There is one part of my build, that I CAN'T find. In every picture, it's covered. Can I just like, make up that part?
08/10/2014 11:56 am
paintsniffer
If i make subtle differences to the build to make it more appealing to the eye, does that contract from the accuracy judging criteria?
08/10/2014 1:26 pm
jduartemiller
MrWals, to answer your question about changes, it depends on what you do. If it is a change in material because the closest thing in minecraft doesn't look right, i would understand, and that would be fine, but if you change key geometries, that would detract from the accuracy of the project.

ImaLittleCreeperAnother question: There is one part of my build, that I CAN'T find. In every picture, it's covered. Can I just like, make up that part?

We understand that there are some parts that you may not be able to find of the build. While there are many resources out there (like Google Earth, and Sketchup's 3d warehouse, if something isn't clear, we understand if you have to make it up, and it shouldn't detract from your score
08/10/2014 1:13 pm
eagoy
At least it seems yours is still accurate, mine has already some interpretation mistakes but also due to the complexity of some parts.

MrWalsUse google earth Itll give a 3d image of some buildings

Bing maps is also usable, where I live bing has more detailed satellite pictures and also 3d buildings in birds perspective.

MrWalsJust out of interest what building is everyone doing?

I do wonder if all the buildings would be made actually and if all contestants will make something.
08/10/2014 5:48 am
paintsniffer
Google Earth OP :')
08/10/2014 4:07 am
jduartemiller
If you are planning on doing the Kinkaku-ji (Temple of the Golden Pavilion), please note a disclaimer under the digital model image. And these images are not all going to be full, accurate representations of the buildings. Drawings, models, and even photographs may not show everything you need, which is why we suggest you research your building a little aside from the minimal information we provided.
08/09/2014 9:05 pm
jduartemiller
All projects must be visible in 1.7.10 version of Minecraft or earlier. This is what all judges will be using
08/09/2014 8:52 pm
ImaLittleCreeper
Question: Is it okay if my build only works in the 14w32d snapshot?
08/09/2014 6:14 pm
jduartemiller
Quick update, as PMC only allows for six people per message, i am relaying all questions i am receiving to the "Already Asked Questions" tab at the bottom of the original forum post (the contest brief). Please refer to that to keep up to date on any information someone not in your message thread may ask. You may also post questions here, and i will try to get back to you as quickly as possible. We're seven hours in, best of luck
08/09/2014 3:03 pm
ImaLittleCreeper
Woohoo! I'm super excited to start building, as well as see what everyone is bringing to the table. Good luck everyone, but most of all have fun :3
08/09/2014 11:13 am
eagoy
Quick question:
I thought we got one build assigned and supposed to built, not choosing, not that I mind but still.
08/09/2014 11:26 am
jduartemiller
Nope, you get to choose. This way you can pick whatever building suits your building preferences. Best of luck.
08/09/2014 10:59 am
jduartemiller
THE CONTEST HAS BEGUN!!!!!

I know you all have been patiently waiting a while for this to start, and the day has finally come. We have a total of 23 entries so far (and you are still welcome to join if you come in later). Starting now, you have 120 hours to build one of these six buildings. The contest will conclude at 8 am PST on August 14th. Best of luck

These are the six projects that you will have to choose from. For most of these, we have provided the basic information about these buildings (the only exception is Umweltbundesamt, where most of the sites were in German and were difficult to find information on, thus it has more information included). This may not be all of the information you may need in order to build the project you want. You are encouraged to find more information on them to help you. Also, we understand that some of these buildings are more difficult than others. We are going to take that into account with our judging. Understand that we want you to challenge yourselves, and we reward risk. So don't be intimidated by the buildings we have chosen.

1900-Present day

Umweltbundesamt (2005)

(UBA) is the central environmental authority in Germany. They scientifically support the federal government, directly enforce the environmental laws of the country, and provide environmental information to the public. Designed by Sauerbruch & Gutton Architekten, the UBA Headquarters is a design exercise in net zero-energy buildings (a building that is able to produce enough energy for it to function on site). The building’s energy concept is based on the use of renewable energy, to which solar panels were built into the faceted roof of the entry area (Forum), and solar collectors were installed on the Forum’s flat roof. Both of these amenities are used for solar powered air conditioning in the building, mainly the auditorium and IT areas. Thanks to the geothermal heat exchangers – currently the world’s largest facility of this type with more than five kilometers of piping – exhaust air is conditioned underground and is used for heating or air conditioning depending on the time of year, as ground temperatures are stay more constant throughout the year. The formal concept was to create a snake-like shape with an atrium in the center to allow for the most light penetration into the offices and provide a pleasant space for the workers. The building was completed in 2005.

http://www.umweltbundesamt.de/en

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3601dTNWNU
Video has a digital model, apologies for it being in German, but the information is not really needed for building (talks about the environmental aspects of the building, such as PVs, windows, etc.

Backside of Umweltbundesamt

Massing plan and landscape

First floor plan

http://www.umweltbundesamt.de/sites/default/files/medien/publikation/long/4007.pdf
Information brochure for Umweltbundesamt

Torre Agbar

Torre Agbar is a 38 story high-rise office building in Barcelona, Spain designed by Jean Nouvel in association with b720 Fermin Vasquez Architectos and was completed in 2005. The overall design, as claimed by Nouvel, was inspired by Montserrat, near Barcelona, by the shape of a geyser. The most striking feature of the building is its louver system of sunshades. These sunshades are controlled by temperature sensors all around the building that close to reduce heat gain. The 4500 window openings in the building are cut into the structural concrete. At night, the building is illuminated by LEDs resulting in a spectacular light show.

Torre Agbar under construction

Close up of facade

Zimmerman House (1950)

The Zimmerman House, built in 1950 in Manchester, New Hampshire, is a house designed by Frank Lloyd Wright for Dr. Isadore and Lucille Zimmerman. The house is designed in the Usonian style, a term Wright coined for his houses that were typically small, single-story dwellings without a garage or much storage. His philosophy in residency was about simplicity in overall organization, a focus on every detail (from brickwork to the furniture), and always with a focus on composition. Wright believed his architecture was artwork, sometimes having the furniture bolted to the floors, having owners sign contracts to not put artwork "on his walls," and, most notably, making the walls purposefully slanted in the Guggenheim Museum in New York to make the artwork look wrong whether you aligned it with a level or to the contours of the walls. This house is designed around an L-shaped chimney, and like many of Wright's houses, has a focus on horizontality, being long with low overhanging roofs.

[simg]
[url]www.nhhomemagazine.com/_DSC2823.jpg[/url][/simg]
Interior

Floor plan

Pre-1900

Kinkaku-ji, or the Temple of the Golden Pavillion (1397)

This Zen Buddhist temple, built in 1397, is situated in a classical era Japanese garden, where the building is placed artistically within the landscape in a relatively simple manner. The building overall is of traditional Japanese architecture, with a focus on the joinery of the wooden members that make up the structure, but each floor expresses a different and distinct style: the shinden, samurai, and zen, expressed on each floor. What made this three story building particularly striking is the use of pure gold leaf, which contrasts against the green of the garden, This temple serves as a shariden, housing relics of the Buddha

[simg]
[url=2.bp.blogspot.com/-adG0xYOGObg/UkrjRFsFj8I/AAAAAAAAQTQ/OamphBbcIUc/s1600/P1200463.JPG]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-adG0xYOGObg/U ... 200463.JPG[/url][/simg]

Digital model of Kinkaku-ji
*may have some inaccuracies, this is meant to be for reference only

Basilica of Notre Dame De Fourviere (1884)

Built from 1872 to 1884, this Romanesque and Byzantine style minor basilica in Lyon is the dominating structure in the city. The exterior is most expressive of the Romanesque style, capturing the classical elements in its structure, something that was unique during this time in France, where most of the churches were dominated by the grey, stone-clad Gothic Revivals. The basilica is actually two churches in one, with the upper sanctuary being very ornate, and the lower being much more simple. The Basilica is sometimes known by its nickname, the "upside-down elephant."

St. Basil Cathedral (1561)

Note: We are aware of the complexities of the interior (the murals and artifacts). It is not necessary to include these, and will be considered extra within the detail section of scoring.

Saint Basil's Cathedral, officially known as the Cathedral of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos on the Moat, began construction in 1555 under orders of Tsar Ivan IV, and designed by Barma and Postnik Yakovlev. The original building, known as Trinity Church, and later as Trinity Cathedral, contained eight side churches arranged around the ninth central church of Intercession; the tenth church was erected in 1588 over the grave of venerated local saint Vasily (Basil). Each additional church around the Trinity Cathedral was meant to commemorate a victory for Ivan IV during the Russo-Kazan War. The church has received additions and renovations throughout the years, such as the distinctive colors being added from the 1680s to the 1840s, with the latest renovations being in September of 2008 with the opening of the restored sanctuary of St. Alexander Svirsky. The 25 seats from the biblical reference are alluded to in the building's structure, with the addition of eight small onion domes around the central tent, four around the western side church and four elsewhere. This arrangement survived through most of the 17th century. The walls of the church mixed bare red brickwork or painted imitation of bricks with white ornaments, in roughly equal proportion. The domes, covered with tin (though recovered in copper in a later renovation), were uniformly gilded, creating an overall bright but fairly traditional combination of white, red and golden colors. Moderate use of green and blue ceramic inserts provided a touch of rainbow as prescribed by the Bible. In the 16th and 17th centuries the church was perceived as the earthly symbol of the Heavenly City.

Diagrammatic floor plan

Note: interior structure and surroundings may require additional research through multiple images or other sources.

Best of luck. And remember to post what you have if you run out of time, you will still receive points for your project
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome