Whats the meaning of Life?

Lord Tristem's Avatar Lord Tristem1/30/12 11:25 am
2/25/2012 8:31 am
LightForm's Avatar LightForm
Greetings All,

Sorry I was absent last week and there was no psychological question been busy (that and i needed a break from the internet). Anyway on to this weeks question. Lately I've been thinking about what the point of our existence is. According to some like the Joker life is just a big monstrous gag and completely pointless. Others do either through some sort of religious belief or a secular one. So I ask you is there a meaning to our existence or is the Joker right and everything that anyone ever struggled or died for just a big monstrous gag, and if there is a meaning what is it that gives your life meaning. So without further adu have at it.

IMPORTANT (I DO NOT want this to become a religious free for all. This is meant to be a psychological/philosophical discussion I do not want people coming on this thread and having religious arguments. If your answer is related to your religion please feel free to state it however I ask that you follow these two rules
1) do not say what your religion is or mention relgious figures
2) do not proselytize your beliefs keep it to yourself and respect other peoples perspectives.
anyone caught doing so will have there post reported.
Lord Tristem
Level 34 : Artisan Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/25/2012 8:31 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Crafter
LightForm
The meaning of life is 42. ~Siri
02/25/2012 7:34 am
Level 32 : Artisan Electrician
ripjay
02/25/2012 7:15 am
Level 49 : Master Artist
KDStudios
-sigh-
Why must we humans always ask questions about things they will never know the answer.
Why must there ALWAYS be a reason for things that cannot be answered.

There is no point to life. You're born because your parents conceived you, Fact.
Your "purpose" is to be their child. Then you're thrown into the world to deal with other peoples self importance, greed and selfishness.
We as organisms have one desire, to survive, we survive to populate the species and so that is why we have this uncontrollable obsession with reproduction. From the lowest cells to complex organisms such as ourselves. We all have the same need, the need to breed and to survive.

You can believe in whatever you want, be it a big thing in a castle on clouds or balance or Minecraft Steve or Notch, the end result is always the same. You will die. Your family will live on if you succeeded in reproducing. The world will continue on as it did and the universe won't even notice your existence.

The point in life, is what you make of it.
Make the most of it, it won't last forever.
If there's anything after life, that will be your next adventure.
If there's nothing... Well... *shrugs* What are you going to do about it? Really?
02/25/2012 7:21 am
Level 25 : Expert Network
Animatrix
1. Spoken like a true boss
2. We as humans have always needed explinations to satisfy our curiosity. The basics are the same (survival and reproduction) but without curiosity and questioning, we'd have no tecnology, no advancement over neandrethals (?) and no other porposes to life other than eat-sleep-mate.
3. It's fun to be a philosopheraptor..
02/25/2012 7:04 am
Level 20 : Expert Miner
Nymus
02/25/2012 7:08 am
Level 37 : Artisan Grump
tex12347
OH NO i missed that meting already jk :P

edit: oh my profiles red
02/25/2012 7:01 am
Level 37 : Artisan Grump
tex12347
It is to be tested. - Cleverbot
02/25/2012 6:56 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Architect
Michael_S99
The answer to life, and all of your questions is <ModSnip>
02/25/2012 6:54 am
Level 25 : Expert Network
Animatrix
The meaning of life is death (to die), the meaning of death is to end life. A cycle that cannot be broken, but that can be enjoyed while the "life" side is in action. Life will throw crazy stuff at you, to disrupt your very being. Your meaning whilst living is to avoid these obstacles and achieve your goals.
02/25/2012 6:29 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Crafter
splashy999
ask Siri
02/23/2012 6:18 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
RobbiHask
The meaning of life is 42 as previously stated by another user
02/25/2012 6:36 am
Level 29 : Expert Dragonborn
wizoid1
42 is the number of life not the meaning of life.
02/23/2012 6:09 pm
Level 21 : Expert Explorer
Luthery
When you guys says 42 it reminds me of 1942 (World War II) xD
02/23/2012 5:55 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Explorer
Darknightwill11
I believe that is merely no meaning to life, only that we are one correct combination of elements of blillions of differnt combination through all the billions of galaxies and endless universes.

In conclusion, no, we do not have a purpose for life, we are (a quote from Stephen Hawking) "An accidental creation".

Thanks, this was fun! -Darknightwill11

(btw I am 12 years old and I know alot about computer programming and I love astrology and cosmology and these types of questions.... Just so you know )
02/23/2012 5:54 pm
Level 21 : Expert Explorer
Luthery
Do you want me to do a 2000 lines explaination or just something simple?

You want me to get out of this thread? Okay... I go with simple post!

The Meaning of Life to find the meaning of it. You can't find the meaning of it if you're not happy. Ye' know ol' friends. Get a family?... Do whatever you think is right and don't do the wrong choice, you have to follow your heart to do the things you want to do, you know. When you're older you can't do anything, you have to do the things you want to do before you sits in a wheelchair and spend your life with pain and much more until you dies. That's what I think the meaning of life is. Do the right choices and do what you want to do in life. GAMING 4 LYFE! *HIGH FIVE*
02/23/2012 5:38 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc324534
[deleted]
02/23/2012 6:11 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Miner
AceofDaimonds
Actually the question is to be solved by earth and maybe this forum found that question

but if you ask what is the meaning of life ask yourself this. "Humans are born than they die. So is it better to no have been born at all?"
02/23/2012 5:34 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Princess
Sumaxi
The meaning of life is... to die.
02/03/2012 8:49 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Mage
Knote7
To have a female companion.
02/03/2012 8:36 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Warrior
Pinkie_Pie12570
The answer is 27
02/03/2012 8:34 pm
Sumaxi
The meaning of life is 42. It will take me a lifetime to know the question.
02/03/2012 8:43 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Dragon
Clue
THE MEANING OF LIFE IS TO SERVE YOU FOOL!
02/03/2012 8:39 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Batman
Cid_of_Lufenia
The question is what do you get when you multiply 6 by 7?
02/03/2012 8:40 pm
Sumaxi
Its one of the infinite questions of life, mhm.
02/03/2012 8:34 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Dragon
Clue
I think the meaning of life is to serve.
02/03/2012 8:33 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Batman
Cid_of_Lufenia
There are many beliefs on what the meaning of life is for example Daleks the meaning of life is so they can exterminate things sontarans believe that the meaning of life is war and [insert more doctor who aliens meanings of life]
01/30/2012 12:28 pm
Level 47 : Master Spelunker
vaxivop
01/30/2012 12:20 pm
Level 24 : Expert Explorer
Pownage
I can sense a flame war about religion or some other thing will inevitably happen on this thread...
01/30/2012 12:25 pm
Level 44 : Master Blob
taylorgoff235
Hey, lets just try to stop it if it does! I don't know why people don't just do that. Here's an idea for pmc; a thread whitelist so only certain people can post!
(not to go off topic)

Oh yeah, and to add to what I said, also 42 cuddles. Not 42 and cuddles, 42 CUDDLES! it ALL FITS!
01/30/2012 12:18 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Skinner
8bit-cowboy
02/23/2012 6:02 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Narwhal
brandman
CrazyHamster_4242 is the meaning of life, the universe, and everything. The question to those? Well... that's a different story.

Trollnyanguy
SumaxiThe meaning of life is 42. It will take me a lifetime to know the question.

The question is what do you get when you multiply 6 by 7?

d00dz you guys are awesome just so you know. Just you beat me to what I was gonna say. :/ Anyways stick your thumbs to the stars!

Oh yeah and to be original, it's cheese. Anyone who gets the reference gets a diamond, but none of you will so I'm good.

Also I think excluding religion is being selfish. Religion can be a huge part to someone's beliefs, so ignoring that makes your question lose it's authenticity. No one said to have a religion flame war, and I doubt that's people's intentions.
01/30/2012 12:15 pm
Level 43 : Master Fox
Fokkusu
Cuddles.
01/30/2012 12:19 pm
Level 59 : Grandmaster Pixel Painter
CaptainMalone
Oh yes. And cuddles. Thank you for reminding me.
01/30/2012 12:14 pm
Level 47 : Master Spelunker
vaxivop
To survive: To basically NOT die is the meaning of living. And i kinda got a proof here. If you look at everything in the universe: Animals, plants, and every other being in the world, they are trying one thing: Survive.

By surviving its: Getting food, water and other nutrients; not getting eaten by predators and the most important: Get a partner and have sex so you can make your race live longer.

If u look at it EVERY animal and plant try to do their best to survive. They adapt, eat, breed and everything else possible just to insure the survival of their race.

I dont think that meaning changes just because "We are the most intelligent animal and we are not really an "animal" but rather a new kind of living being".

We try to survive. That is why we live.
01/30/2012 12:09 pm
Level 59 : Grandmaster Pixel Painter
CaptainMalone
I think that some people can turn their lives into a monstrous, pointless gag. I think it is notable that the source you use for this viewpoint is the Joker. If someone has decided that they are going to dedicate their life to theft, lies, and killing, they obviously have little value for the lives of others- and most likely have little value of their own life.
I have found that I am happiest when I am making others happy. When I can surprise someone with an unexpected gift, or help them with an important need, I feel like I give my life meaning. The week that I spent in Guatemala building a school up in the mountains for the local children was, without a doubt, the best week of my life.
I think that the desire to be happy is something deeper than a personal, selfish longing for fulfillment. I feel like we are meant to be happy, as a way to draw us toward what we are meant to experience.
Carrying this idea forward, I feel that everyone has a slightly different purpose in life. We must each discover what brings us joy. I do not mean instant gratification that is brought by things like bigscreen televisions, riches, or fame; the thing about instant gratification is that it dulls after a while, and we always feel the need for bigger screens, more money, a bigger fan club. At some point, the grandeur we desire is no longer able to be found, and we end up with less joy in the long run. I mean things that bring lasting joy- often simple acts, locations, or thoughts- that are not missed when they are gone, but go with us through our life.
On a separate but related note, I find it strange that you ask people not to mention any religious beliefs. I hope you do realize that a large number of people find their joy and their purpose of life in their beliefs. By cutting off this branch of the topic, you are denying a good many people the ability to express their opinion. It is like asking people to describe their opinion on the origin of the universe without saying that it was created by someone. I am certain that you are not a closed-minded person, because clearly you are interested in others' opinions, but your comments at the end of the post make it appear as though you only want to hear opinions that don't conflict with your own.
02/03/2012 8:47 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Architect
ThePandaGurl
I teared up a little when i read this... you, sir, are a true man. I hope that school you built is appreciated. That kind of work and effort deserves some recognition. If there was diamonds for posts, I would give you one.
01/30/2012 12:28 pm
Lord Tristem
WOW!!! this is amazing post probably the best one I've seen yet in any of my psychological based forum threads. As for your comment about my rules in this thread regarding religion. I'm sorry if I came off as being closed minded in regards to religion in fact wasen't trying to sound that way. I was just afraid that given the nature of this thread topic and that it could potentially devolve into a religious flame war with people fighting over different religious views on the topic. Quite the opposite I would love to hear those views. It clear to me that I overcompensated now I do apologise for that so I'm going to amend those rules. Thanks for pointing that out If you have any ideas on how I can amend them feel free to tell me.
01/30/2012 11:52 am
Level 1 : New Miner
firepaw
to live
01/30/2012 11:47 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Network
Mothgirl
The meaning of life is to endlessly search for a purpose.
01/30/2012 11:49 am
Lord Tristem
You know you might have a point. Maybe we don't start with a purpose maybe we're suppose to discover one as we go along.
01/30/2012 11:36 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Goblin
Hawkken
The meaning to life is death. All life ends in death, no matter what. Nothing escapes it, and nothing ever will. that is the meaning of life.

and if you mean why we are here, then i am along the same lines as Taylorgoff. It was the right circumstances, the right place, the right atmosphere, the right elements, etc.(i could go on). The universe is infinite, and its bound to happen. thats the argument i use against people who Don't believe in aliens. The universe goes on forever, and we are proof that life can be created. If it happens once, it will happen again.
01/30/2012 11:29 am
Level 44 : Master Blob
taylorgoff235
Personally I think that there is no meaning. We are simply in the right place at the right time. And then we were created. Perfect situations. Not hard to believe if we thing that the universe is infinite. I'm looking forward to seeing other people's views
02/03/2012 8:29 pm
Level 40 : Master Mage
_Anomaly
this..
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome