Is Minecraft Dying Again...This Time For Real?

Dski1666's Avatar Dski16661/16/24 12:35 pm
3/9/2024 2:08 pm
Dski1666's Avatar Dski1666
Dski1666
Level 4 : Apprentice Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

LBoomsky
02/14/2024 9:37 am
Level 33 : Artisan uwu
Minecraft is not dying
As long as mojang keeps updating the game, the game will never stagnate. Even then, as long as we can go back to look at old versions like 1.16.5 and 1.12.2 and 1.8.9, the game will never die.
Dski1666
03/09/2024 2:08 pm
You are taking this too literally. It is about the decline in the player base given all the snafu's that Mojang have made with updates being stretched out over long periods, not addressing player concerns and overall their communication on issues that have come up over the past 1 to 2 years. It could very easily go the same route as Halo did if they don't turn things around. Luckily the upcoming update seems that it might be a great step back to awesome updates.
MaximusPrime23
01/30/2024 2:52 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Wisp
No! There ain't way!
WATERGAME
01/30/2024 2:09 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Artist
opino que el juego tendra epocas buenas y malas solo hay que esperar y si eso no funciona intentar nosotros cambiar eso.
Entionse
01/29/2024 6:14 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
We need a game that brings a competition that leaves minecraft in the ground, so that microsoft has a more open mind, not a mob with a single purpose.
Dski1666
02/13/2024 2:10 pm
HyTale could be that game as we mention in the video. BUT they goofed by getting out ahead of themselves before realizing they had to rework the entire game engine for them to be able to do what they want to do with the game. I will still be very interested when this one DOES come out. It looks like it could be the one that has a chance depending on how committed they are to development and listening to player feedback once launched officially.
DrgnShield
01/29/2024 6:20 pm
Level 1 : New Network
Now adays there's alot of servers doing mad stuff with custom models and resourcepacks I generally think you should look into that as it can still make minecraft alot of fun, as at the end of the day minecraft isn't to blame the concepts grate it's been here for years it's the current status of Mojang aka Microsoft at fault.
ScotsMiser
01/29/2024 7:58 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Miner
While one can go that route, mods inherently fragment the community.

As example consider the various iterations of chop-a-tree-all-at-once and mine-a-vein-all-at-once:
Many of the mods in each catagory are very similar from a gameplay mechanics perspective, but are inclompatible with each other thus limiting the available player base more than is wanted.

An 'Officaial Mechanic' that gave 90% of teh value of any of the mods in one of these catagories would likely be acceptable to nearly all the useres of any of the variants.
[​NOTE: I am NOT suggesting either of these be added to vanilla, they are merely simple to understand examples.]

I'm also far from certain that this is entirely an issue caused by MS as Bergensten does not appear to embrace the sandbox concept that seemed to be a driving force of Persson's game design philiosophy.
DrgnShield
01/29/2024 8:29 pm
Tbh with you I decided to go with the Custom Enchantment route here on my server, you have a choice to use Timber it is what it is
Entionse
01/29/2024 7:23 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
Very true, but I think it is not because their fault, It is the absence of a rival at their level, since they have been on the podium for years, without doing something remarkable, (for the simple fact of nostalgia) I guess they wonder why make good updates, if they are the best in that genre
DrgnShield
01/29/2024 8:31 pm
Valid that's how we humans work but I think alot of people are going to notice what server owners, developers, and active members of the community can do which they don't ignore I think if we go crazy enough we can become the competition as a community because if we change they'll have to also
ScotsMiser
01/29/2024 7:59 pm
Nicely restated argument for the value of capitalistic competition;

  there is nothing like a few competitors nipping at its heels to motivate a company to improve its product.
DrgnShield
01/29/2024 6:02 pm
The only scary thing especially for server owners and creators is the recent Eula change, it's so vague they worded it on purpose like that so they can push the limits of what they can do which is truly scary when you realize some creators literally depend financially on making minecraft content and as you know it's horribly hard to switch and still keep a viewer base.
Dski1666
01/29/2024 6:12 pm
This is a fear that many have brought up and is another one that has a lot of people on edge. As a content creator I really don't "think" they will do anything with those changes. As someone who has worked in the corporate world a long time ago...this smacks of Microsoft saying "Hey...this needs to be out there in case someone begins to abuse the Minecraft name." Fingers crossed though right?!?!?
DrgnShield
01/29/2024 6:17 pm
Yeah I've been hosting servers for 8 years or so which got me into Java Dev in the first place at this point it's a hobby but I know alot of people who fully depend on their server racking in funds monthly and that's as stressful as it can get
Dski1666
01/29/2024 5:37 pm
There's certainly a lot of hate coming our way on this yet no one has disputed any of the points we discussed in the video or the data that supports the question being asked.

Minecraft Popularity Over Time Google Trends
Misty Cat
01/30/2024 1:47 pm
Level 29 : Expert Waffle
might be cause more people are using launchers
Misty Cat
01/29/2024 7:24 am
Level 29 : Expert Waffle
minecraft is not dying dumdum
Dski1666
01/29/2024 5:31 pm
dumdum? lol
Dski1666
01/29/2024 5:23 pm
See the graph in one of the other threads here...it clearly is declining.
MaximusPrime23
01/30/2024 2:56 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Wisp
You aren't dumdum, you just don't see the community and hate it
Dski1666
02/13/2024 1:52 pm
You didn't listen to anything we said in the video or read anything I have had to say if you feel I don't see or that I hate the community.
michaelo
01/28/2024 9:20 am
Level 32 : Artisan Chef
history
I can agree with some of your points, Minecraft does have many issues (a lot of which aren't exactly recent developments), but I disagree that Minecraft is dying. I feel like that is a very overused word. It has declined in popularity from pandemic levels, yes, but I don't think you can really compare the game to Halo, they're completely different games.
Dski1666
01/29/2024 5:25 pm
history
First. Thank you for a well thought out comment/reply. The decline begins pre pandemic and never during the pandemic did it outperform it's best levels of popularity when it at least in theory could have. It has been on a steady decline for awhile now and though Halo is a different game...it is the fact that the company who bought Halo now also owns Minecraft.
michaelo
01/29/2024 5:40 pm
history
Most games aren't as popular as they were in the first few years of their release. I'm fine with saying Minecraft has declined in popularity based on that one google trends graph, because it clearly has since 2013/14, but I have an issue with the word 'dying'. It's not just in the context of Minecraft, just the term as a whole is a very clickbaity word and I feel is often an overreaction to what is happening.
Dski1666
01/29/2024 5:53 pm
Again thank you...well said reply. To respond to your points. In the world of content creation if any creator wants their ideas/thoughts to be seen among the millions of Minecraft videos out there, Titles ARE important. Would we get clicks for people to hear our thoughts if I had titled the video "Minecraft is Dwindling Like All Other Video Games Before it Have" ? No ...we would not. The video's PURPOSE if people watched it is to bring the points to light in the HOPE that MOJANG change these failings we mention. The title is provocative but the information contained in the video MATCHES the title. That is not clickbait. Had we titled it the way we did and the video was an SMP Tour...that would be clickbait.

The data shows an almost stronger decline since the Pandemic that is related to the key points we discuss in the video. We did not want to re-hash each individual event (like the firflies or the chat reporting) but only to bring to light that their communication on these things was ...bad and that that angered the community. People are STILL talking about these things negatively all over Twitter and other forums. When you couple that with the decline...a correlation can be seen. Mojang have either lost touch or is OK with angering the community and neither way is good for the future of the game. Their decline is getting steadier and steadier despite updates and that is also a bit of an omen especially now when LegoFortnite and Hytale will be in the mix very soon to take over if they aren't more proactive in listening to the community more.

Hope that sheds a little light on where we were coming from. As is mentioned in the video. We are the last people who want to see this happen. It's literally our favorite game ever.
michaelo
01/29/2024 6:33 pm
history
I fully see why you use the word for Youtube purposes, but it's just something that really bugs me. Maybe it comes down to personal definition, as for me a game that is dying is one that is struggling to keep high player counts, and one that has mostly been abandoned by the developers or is just not receiving the necessary support in some way. All of which I don't think applies to Minecraft. A good example for my point of view would be Among Us, which if you talk to pretty much anyone about it will say that it is dead or dying. However, it is still actively supported by the developers, and consistently manages around 10000ish players (at least on Steam charts, which doesn't account for the huge number that play on mobile). To me that's not a dying game, just one that was never realistically going to sustain the initial explosion in popularity that it experienced.

I would be interested to know what kind of data you're talking about as well, I've just been doing a bit of research out of curiosity and I can't seem to find any good data on the topic, or at least any that I feel is more reliable over another. Monthly active player count at the moment seems to be around 140 - 180 million, but the number varies greatly depending on what website you're looking at. Sales of the game continues to increase, and I'd love to know how this all compares to a decade or so ago. Google trends is definitely a significant indicator of popularity, especially in terms of Youtube content like in the graph you linked, but that doesn't take into account the large percentage of players who don't interact with the community at all and just enjoy the game as is, enjoying the new updates as they release without considering all the controversy that surrounds the game in online bubbles like Twitter and Youtube.
Dski1666
02/13/2024 2:02 pm
history
For what it is worth the data is based mostly on Google Trends both as a YouTube search or a Web search for the game. I also have played the game since 2016 and am active in several communities as well as have been a creator for the same amount of time. All creators I know and play on SMPs with in the space report drops in the viewership of their MC Content...particularly over the past 1.5 years. They have tried variations to the content and nothing sticks like it used to.

Player counts from various websites I have found all vary too wildly to really use as a source and actually isn't all that indicative of what a community is feeling overall toward a game until the bottom actually falls out. The popularity of the game is much better seen by people who are actively searching for it or to learn something about a new feature as in YouTube or Google searches as that shows "fresh" interest vs showing how many die hards a game has. Take Halo MCC as an example. Still a lot of people play and swear by Halo 2 but the game is in fact long dead.

In the various communities I interact with the overwhelming majority of players are getting more and more upset with Mojang over the points we brought up in the video itself...that was the basis for a lot of those points. From what people are talking about in the community. Their anger over chat reporting info, the firefly fiasco, Birch Forest disaster and the terrible roll out of the Deep Dark over basically 3 updates that was supposed to be one major update.

Sometimes in communities passion can overtake what the real "vibe" is but in these cases...the criticisms of Mojang are mostly legit and not over the top so it is much easier to see that a large number of people are really fed up with the direction being taken and it is resulting in less and less people finding any reason to come back to the game once disappointed enough to leave it.
SillydudeGaming
01/28/2024 8:11 am
Level 20 : Expert Zombie
Minecraft is not dying, there are still thousands upon thousands of people online right now.
Dski1666
01/28/2024 8:20 am
history
That's what was once thought about Halo too...until there weren't thousands of people online anymore ? Consider who bought the Halo franchise from Bungie and who also owns Minecraft now and then look at the Google trends data. It may never die 100% but it is declining without a doubt.

Trends Minecraft
ScotsMiser
01/16/2024 9:02 pm
Title is clickbait, but the dou do present some very good points…

[…not that MS/Mj is likely to give tyehm any heed].
Dski1666
01/28/2024 8:09 am
I don't see it as clickbait at all. The only thing I maybe could have emphasized more was the Google Trends graph showing the clear decline of Minecraft is getting ever steeper and how with every update they NEVER hit back to original peak popularity. Any future videos on this sort of topic we will try to do a better job at that but given the fickleness of YouTube viewers when you get into too much detail...viewers drop off. It's a tougher balance than one might think. Appreciate the honesty in your assessment! We can learn from this.
DGTC
01/16/2024 2:27 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Cookie
y'all... the copper bulb's delay was decreased by 1 tick... it's over, minecraft's dead
crayona
01/16/2024 2:00 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Collective

BEGONE MINECRAFT

crayona
01/16/2024 1:59 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Collective
WHY AND HOW DID YOU FIND OUT ABOUT THIS. WHAT WAS YOURE IDEA TO FIX THE GLITCH. DID YOU DO A LOT OF TRIALS?
Dski1666
01/28/2024 8:11 am
Not sure I follow what you are asking?
Frwf
01/16/2024 1:55 pm
Level 42 : Master Artist
Bro you're just promoting your YouTube videos here what ru doing lil bro
Dski1666
01/28/2024 8:10 am
Why so negative? We have YT videos but also posts as well. Look deeper friend.
Frwf
01/29/2024 4:07 am
Posts? What posts? You only have forum posts promoting your youtube videos, plus all your videos are extreme clickbait, so i think i should be negative because someone needs to realize this is not the place to advertise.
Dski1666
01/29/2024 5:30 pm
I have plenty of forum posts if you look. Also...what exactly is the "video community" for if not to post your own creations/work for others. Please cite ONE video where the title is not delivered on or covered in the video? I would love to see that. You have not seen a single thing in one of our videos that could or would have helped you? We do tutorials. We do builds. We teach mechanics of why things work or not. We have a lot of people who enjoy and learn from what we cover in our videos. If you don't that is fine. Move on...but it is no reason to hate on when you aren't being open to even seeing any value in what we have done in roughly 400 videos.
Frwf
01/30/2024 5:15 am
Quit the yapping and get a real job lil bro
Dski1666
02/13/2024 2:03 pm
Who is yapping here?
GoggleD0GG
01/16/2024 1:53 pm
Level 49 : Master Necromancer
nah its gonna keep going