[Rant] Please stop making datapacks that add cheaty "recipes"assignment_late

Hashs's Avatar Hashs12/3/20 12:26 pm
64 emeralds 1.1k 45
11/17/2021 12:17 am
Hashs's Avatar Hashs
Hello, I'm back with another rant post on bad datapacks. This time it's about cheaty "recipe packs".

You've probably seen them; "easy" diamond and netherite recipes using things like dirt or coal. Maybe an elytra recipe with feathers and leather. These posts are highly spammy and don't contribute anything to players' survival experiences, yet they clog up the feed anyway. These datapacks are often also solely generated by a datapack generator, which is against Planet Minecraft's rules.

If you are one of the people creating these packs, ask yourself: why? Why would a player use your pack instead of just going into creative mode, since that's practically what you're doing? You might say "to make the game easier", but are you going too far? Instantly getting netherite armor isn't exactly "easy" so much as "cheaty". Similarly, since elytra aren't balanced to be obtained before The End, getting one before that is... well, cheating.

I'm not going to tell you that using these packs invalidates your playthrough, but if one's goal is to play vanilla survival (or a pack of datapacks) and one wants a balanced experience that won't be over in a day, they won't use cheaty recipe packs.

Not all recipe packs are cheaty. I can appreciate balanced recipe packs that add desirable changes to the game. Take The Creeper's Code by CreeperMagnet_ for example. While by no means entirely a recipe pack, the recipes that TCC adds are balanced and contribute to the game by making uncraftable items craftable and adding recipes that make sense. Similarly, my own pack Hashs' Utils adds only a few recipes, simply making uncraftable items craftable and saving you the time of searching for them.

If you make cheaty recipe packs, I kindly ask you to reconsider what you are doing. You could be doing so much more by learning commands and making datapacks that people will actually use. Instead, you clog up the feed with spammy packs and make the lives of people who make high-effort packs that much harder.
Hashs
Site Moderator
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Botanist

Create an account or sign in to comment.

MJ_mcMaster
09/05/2021 12:16 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Lego Builder
Why did this pop up in my feed just now
Why not earlier
Hashs
09/05/2021 1:24 am
People are replying to it. I don't know why.
Theotmt
09/04/2021 11:28 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Architect
never seen these datapacks, kinda sounds too overkill in the game.
Papa Enny
09/04/2021 10:22 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Scapegoat
Wow
That's interesting that the problem got mentioned last year and forgot until now
HoboMaggot
09/04/2021 11:01 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Blob
history
There is a bunch of more recent threads basically saying the same thing, except now it's OP loot
Bigbowties
09/04/2021 10:19 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Waffle
Ya super quick netherite would be good for advancements but then what would you do Minecraft would become super boring it’s better if you have to work to get netherite because then you feel good that you got it with out cheating
TintinTheBoy
01/07/2021 1:13 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Miner
are u even a mod or a normal pmc person if u are a mod ok but if u arnt dont command players to do that some of those datapacks are good for trolling and the fake videos be like compilation
Hashs
01/07/2021 1:22 pm
history
I'm not a mod, but I am the creator of the second largest content datapack on Planet Minecraft.

And explain how you're supposed to troll using a datapack. It's not something you can just install on the client - it's much like a mod.

I would at the very least advocate for recipe packs to be separated from packs that may have taken hundreds of hours to make.

(Edit: This aged poorly)
Qtw
01/06/2021 3:35 pm
Level 21 : Expert Miner
okay...what about recipe packs that don't add content but arent cheating?

i published two that in my opinion isnt cheating.

https://www.planetminecraft.com/data-pack/rotten-flesh-to-leather-4597875/
https://www.planetminecraft.com/data-pack/sapling-conversion/

i think they are balanced and have their purposes.

the sapling conversion for those who don't want to or can not explore for more saplings.
such as a single biome world or have a hard time finding said biomes.

the leather for a balanced way to avoid having to farm cows.
this one when i changed the recipe kept both in one page. to avoid spamming.

not all recipe only packs are cheating.

i don't claim that mine are high effort packs.
anyone could make em.
i just figured it would be a decent idea to share.
Hashs
01/06/2021 9:42 pm
I'm fine with those but I'd still argue they should be separated from other datapacks because they take orders of magnitude less time and effort to make.
Qtw
01/07/2021 1:09 pm
Level 21 : Expert Miner
that's fair i guess.
better than an outright ban on low effort stuff.
Venator_
12/15/2020 1:03 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Engineer
I don t understand why this kind of datapack has many downloads and a a good success

If you made new mobs, bosses, dimension or pets , you will never have as much success: Sad or funny, IDK ^^'
Hashs
12/10/2020 9:19 am
If you agree, take a look at this ticket and maybe we can finally put an end to this issue.
DereC4
12/09/2020 10:38 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Cake
I make quality of life datapacks, not cheaty ones. I honestly think the ones I have made (along with my mods) are fair and balanced and I agree with what you said entirely.
There's a difference between simple and cheaty too.
Hashs
12/09/2020 10:41 am
Looking at your stuff, I don't have a problem with it (though in an ideal world every third datapacker wouldn't make their own horse armor/saddle pack lol.)
RubY-NameIess-
12/09/2020 10:13 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Architect
people can do what ever they want even tho making a datapack like this is kinda stupid but well what ever -> would make more sense if the recipes would be more expensive like for example notch apple would be gold blocks surrounding a golden apple etc
kanokarob
12/09/2020 10:32 am
Level 73 : Legendary Programmer
The point

Clouds

Birds

Trees

You
Horizon_Unicorn
12/09/2020 10:00 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Goblin
They removed the notch apple crafting recipie for a reason!
khajiity
12/09/2020 9:48 am
Level 41 : Master Kitten
i like when people get creative with recipes in datapacks for existing items that you can get, but if someone is gonna add a recipe for something completely unobtainable, then . why . . . if they want something like that so bad they can , go into creative or use commands to give it to them I think
KroNodes
12/08/2020 9:50 pm
Level 49 : Master Waffle
True, also I hate how they prevent me from getting down to the actual good datapacks that people actually spent time on.
Hashs
12/08/2020 10:13 pm
That's basically my exact complaint. These packs that took 5 minutes at most to make and upload push down packs with hundreds of hours of work put into them.
Wyvernity
12/08/2020 8:57 pm
Level 76 : Legendary Creator
history
I also don't understand that people. If you want something cheaty, just get them from creative.

There are so many cool stuff to do with current commands and utilities. I understand when they make a huge recipe pack because mostly they're balancing things like Stoo's datapack and others, but they should stop doing "uncraftable item" recipes.

Just dream something, then search for if you're able to do it in the game.

All you need is creativity.
Hashs
12/08/2020 9:18 pm
Precisely. Fool around a bit with functions and eventually you'll find something that's worth your time more than generating a recipe pack on some website.
Suspicious Stoo
12/08/2020 8:34 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Llama
I was actually thinking of making a datapack with a "baby mode" that just turns your gamemode creative. If I see another damn notch apple recipe pack I will gouge my eyes out
Hashs
12/08/2020 8:37 pm
Someone literally DMed me earlier today and said I should try their notch apple recipe pack...
Suspicious Stoo
12/08/2020 8:38 pm
history
b r u h.
Starmute
12/04/2020 8:55 pm
Level 91 : Overlord Terraformer
Awesome game design right there!
12/04/2020 4:10 pm
This reply was removed by the poster or a moderator.
Wyvernity
12/08/2020 9:04 pm
No wonder you're still level 1.
the_orangeorange
12/09/2020 9:18 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Modder
no. a mod decided that I didn't make the data packs and removed them so I lost 6 levels
Wyvernity
12/09/2020 2:21 pm
Yes, it is very well deserved.
the_orangeorange
12/10/2020 4:37 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Modder
wow wyvernity is kinda mean ngl
Hashs
12/09/2020 9:30 am
I'm presuming that's because you made the packs solely using an online generator, in which case that is well deserved.
Hashs
12/04/2020 5:19 pm
Insert Obi-Wan Kenobi "hello there" meme
VanillaFriendlyDatapacks
12/04/2020 3:37 am
Level 39 : Artisan Engineer
There are so many datapacks out there that add recipes. I do have uploaded myself one and would gladly take it down if such a thing would be decided. Sadly, there are also packs that just advertise themselves wrong, saying they add functionality although they don't. I kind of wish for a little bit better moderated content for PMC.
Noah The Noah
12/03/2020 5:37 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Procrastinator
Agreed.
Bertiecrafter
12/03/2020 1:15 pm
Level 70 : Legendary Engineer
I'm going to take it a step further and say that recipe only data packs shouldn't be created and I know that's a preference, not everyone is going to share. Crafting uncraftables has been done a hundred times over and by now there is nothing functional that a recipe data pack can add anymore. (Unless you want a different flavour of an already published recipe.)

Personally, I think recipes should be used to make new mechanics scripted with functions accessible to players. A way to let players interact with the rest of your datapack. They shouldn't be used to simply allow players to put the same things together in a different way to get already existing items.
Suspicious Stoo
12/08/2020 8:47 pm
Agreed. There's gotta be some kind of addition to the game to be a real submission, IMO.

If you want to make elytras more accessible, don't just make a recipe for them with, like, Nether Stars and Phantom Membranes. Be creative and attach it to new gameplay; maybe Ender Phantoms are a new mob whose leather can be combined with something to craft a broken Elytra. For Totems, maybe crafting them requires something that's only farmeable in Mansions. Etc.
Tigerfury26
12/15/2020 1:29 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Nether Knight
It's not so bad to add recipe only datapacks. They are boring alone, but add them in with a different datapack, and Voila!
Hashs
12/15/2020 7:06 pm
They're not bad to add on their own, the issues are 1) how many of them flood PMC and 2) how many of them are uselessly cheaty.
Slaofosix
12/03/2020 1:13 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Artist
Agree
Whetshu
12/03/2020 1:08 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Nerd
Although I believe that in a singleplayer scenario you can do what you want, this whole "Easy Crafting Recipes" datapack stuff is really just pointless and is no benefit to anyone.
char-png
12/03/2020 12:37 pm
Level 43 : Master Lemon
tru, I dont know why they even publish these datapacks, they add nothing to the game, theyre cheaty and mostly no one would ever use them
FishStacks
12/03/2020 12:40 pm
Level 72 : Legendary Stack
yeah, i dont know how to make datapacks, but i can create most of them using minecraft.tools or something
Wyvernity
12/08/2020 9:05 pm
Then learn how to make. There are so many tutorial videos about minecraft commands and datapack features
FishStacks
12/09/2020 5:39 am
Level 72 : Legendary Stack
that wasnt my point. im saying i can make these with a very simple website. i would learn how to make them but i do not have the time currently, i have other things to do.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome