Reasons for survival servers dying and how to overcome this?

samyboyz's Avatar samyboyz8/29/15 6:25 am history
1 emeralds 5.3k 71
7/24/2018 2:44 pm
samyboyz's Avatar samyboyz
I currently play on and off a survival server (Minecraftonline.com) which was once pretty popular four or five years ago; now it's a rarity for 6 or more people to play at the same time. Advertising isn't an issue, the server owner has done a good job with that and I've even tried to help somewhat with youtube and pmc etc. but to no avail. Every new player is either an incompetent five year old griefer or just a person begging to be staff. Even when they are told how to get staff (by playing and following the rules) they show absolute disinterest and leave 1 or 2 minutes later. Although the community is kind and welcoming they just don't give a damn.

I've already got a few ideas as to why this is happening, very straightforward:

1. "Veterans" of the server have exhausted play and have done everything that is possible. For them it's simply tiresome to play now and many of them have moved on to bigger and better things.
2. "Veterans" have just grown up.
3. All the new players will be from a different generation so to speak. And this generation somehow find playing minigames much more thrilling than playing survival vanilla.
4. Even the consequence of the above leads to less players. No one wants to play on an unpopulated server.

To contribute to this thread please just add more ideas to why it is happening and any possible solutions :~)
samyboyz
Level 36 : Artisan Narwhal

Create an account or sign in to comment.

samyboyz
07/24/2018 2:44 pm
history
Bump as there are more things to add.

1. The server's on an outdated version.
2. Minecraft's literally just minigames now. Few care about survival vanilla.
3. No one joins through PlanetMinecraft anymore.

On the third point, I remember a time where I advertised a server here and there would be like 30+ people join in like under 10 minutes. Now not even one joins. Is it related to point 2, or just a wider concern about general apathy?

How does one deal with these newer problems?
qwEArfzwsertgredtyhr
02/17/2016 2:16 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Archer
Chickens4Life...anyways ive moved on from vanilla servers cause survival on them has gotten boring and youve done mostly everything on other servers so thats why i moved to modded survival as it allows more things for me to do and build

Yes, It Does Get Old,
I Normaly Swap Mods On About A 1 week basis, so i can find the best ones.
BTW I Am Currently Making A Mod For My Brother Called "SheepyDreams", It Turns You Into A Sheep XD
samyboyz
02/17/2016 12:11 pm
-snip-

dooly123anyway its been 14 days since i started work on it and we have had around 400 users join and only a 23% more then 1hour stay witch is alot better then most and most go onto creating a legacy on our server as many of thing things that can be done have only been done in early days of servers like cobalt-mc its been a good week to see my server grow i suspect it will get worse soon....

400 unique users visiting in a measly couple of weeks? How'd you accomplish that?

https://i.gyazo.com/384680671589d934c37 ... df5807.png

This is MY thread. @Chron y u do this
DragonAkasaka
02/06/2016 2:15 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
Yeah I just started playing on -snip- and I am already liking it. You have a great server so keep it up.
SpookyHollows
01/29/2016 6:25 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Artist
I used to play a wide mix of servers, both vanilla or ones with mini games. I used to enjoy one survival server a ton...but it changed so much, too much PVP on there now, you can't even build a house without being killed, so I kinda quit there, I'm a builder, not a fighter. XD
Otherwise honestly I wouldn't know, I've been running a small server for around 3 years now, and mostly my friends just used to play on it with me. I shut it down a few times to work on it, and now it's finally almost back up in a new version. Basically I try to add many different things now, a normal survival world, a world for PVP and then some mini games on the side, etc.
dooly123
01/28/2016 4:56 pm
Level 24 : Expert Nerd
on many of my servers over the 4-5 years my most recent one is TerraTerma can be found on my home page of pmc i found that the only way to clench a grip on the community would be multi world multigamemode setup where its a all in one so far i have a stable 3Gb test that has been rated to take up to 13 users while there world editing building command poking. that's minigames,creative,survival,pvp,nether,end,skyblocks on the same server we combine different people into the game this way

but it does help when you have that extra 2 devs the help make things for the server

anyway its been 14 days since i started work on it and we have had around 400 users join and only a 23% more then 1hour stay witch is alot better then most and most go onto creating a legacy on our server as many of thing things that can be done have only been done in early days of servers like cobalt-mc its been a good week to see my server grow i suspect it will get worse soon....
macgarthur
01/28/2016 4:20 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Network
Can confirm. Started a new server recently which does not use Factions or mcMMO. Can't count how many players joined, typed commands for Factions and mcMMO, then tried Kits (which we don't have) and then left. They would be on the server all of 5 seconds or less.

How can anyone create a server that's different if you won't even give it a chance. I even created a short demo video to explain how the server works and that doesn't help. What's a server host supposed to do when players ask for something different but won't try it?
Lachie1770
01/28/2016 4:44 pm
Level 44 : Master Architect
Its cause 90% of the players are 6 year olds that are in love with factions and think factions is the only type of server you should have...
Chickens4Life
01/29/2016 6:07 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Modder
Sadly this is sorta true, anyways ive moved on from vanilla servers cause survival on them has gotten boring and youve done mostly everything on other servers so thats why i moved to modded survival as it allows more things for me to do and build
macgarthur
01/29/2016 5:20 pm
That is a problem, not that younger players are a problem it's just that they don't seem to give it any time. It's amazing how many players will spend more time typing in the IP address than actually on the server. Literally join and leave all in 3 seconds. How can you even decide if you like something or not in that amount of time, I might as well just show you a screenshot of what people see when they login to decide if you like the entire server or not because that's what you're judging it on.

Also it's the players who specifically say they do not want Factions, then join and get upset or quit because you aren't using Factions. What exactly were you expecting?

It looks like the only servers that are really holding their own right now other than long time established servers are the mini-games. They're fun but they're so heavy on the pay to play model that they actually aren't much fun. Don't forget everyone wants a free server, with no donations and no pay2win but won't play on a server that offers this because they have no reason to donate and want an advantage on other players.

TLDR; someone goes into a vegetarian restaurant because they're tired of steak and want something different, they go in and order a salad, because they said they wanted salad and definitely not steak, when the salad arrives they look at the waitress funny and say "this isn't a steak, why would you bring me a salad when I only came here for steak, why did you bother wasting my time, you're obviously terrible at your job and should be fired for it, I'm going to tell everyone how horrible this restaurant is, by the way are you looking for staff?", this is the mentality of people joining servers today
Azrath
01/28/2016 4:02 pm
Level 25 : Expert Button Pusher
I stopped my server which I worked few months on just because players couldn't stay more than 3 seconds to finish tutorial and get to know how servers work, nooooooooooo they have to leave because they cant be admin, grief or something isn't how they want it to be.

To those players that are like described, grow up, nothings gonna be like you ever want just because of you... unless you are some popular millioner, than things change.

Anyways what was my server about?

Well something different, instead of server shops it had player run shops(never happened due lack of players), instead of just vanilla survival there were custom items(that again no one wanted to find out because they were to busy clicking disconnect button), than we did not have P2W donator ranks, rather one normal which gave you only cosmetic items and list can go on about server features... but again noooooooooooo they have to spin, say server sucks apple and leave...
GamingAleks
01/28/2016 3:20 pm
Level 20 : Expert Pokemon
The community is kind of full with young people now. I rarely find older people. I started a vanilla survival server for people to be friends and play around a bit. But no one wanted to get to know each other. And they were mostly around 12-14 y/o and I guess most of the people don't like community based servers anymore. (I'm looking for a server that is community based btw, pm me ) ok
samyboyz
01/28/2016 3:41 pm
-snip-
BlueNightingale
01/10/2016 4:13 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Engineer
Look... sorry but there is one thing which is very obvious. 1.7.10? At this point people are now waiting expectantly for 1.9... I can't understand why the owner is using 1.7.10. A lot of people don't wish to use several versions on their profile, so for starters that fact alone is off putting. Not even mentioning the fact I don't find that server to sound safe, considering the amount of security updates since. Either no one is telling you this or simply just ignores the fact, but any sensible player wouldn't touch that server simply on this fact.
samyboyz
01/28/2016 3:10 pm
I think it's 1.7.10 because it doesn't use Craftbukkit, but some other server mod thingie called canary that is now discontinued. What's so unsafe about a 1.7.10 server lol???
NetworkPCE
01/10/2016 2:19 pm
Level 21 : Expert Engineer
Well personally i feel that vanilla MC doesn't just appeal to many players. As a person who loves to play private vanilla minecraft with my friends i love vanilla, but to most people it just doesn't seem the same way.
Bertiecrafter
01/10/2016 1:45 pm
Level 70 : Legendary Engineer
CaptainMuricaI think the biggest issue with MinecraftOnline is the fact that it's running over a year behind everyone else when it comes to server version. Minecraft 1.8 has been out since late 2014, so they should really consider updating.

But this:

samyboyz2. It's a bit like the chicken and the egg. New players will never stay because no one likes an unpopulated server.

This is an issue I've been struggling with for over 3 years with my server. People join and tell me they love it, but they don't stay because there's hardly anyone else on to interact with.

That ^

Exactly that.... it's murdering new servers like a beast....
Leeberator
01/10/2016 1:23 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
I think the biggest issue with MinecraftOnline is the fact that it's running over a year behind everyone else when it comes to server version. Minecraft 1.8 has been out since late 2014, so they should really consider updating.

But this:

samyboyz2. It's a bit like the chicken and the egg. New players will never stay because no one likes an unpopulated server.

This is an issue I've been struggling with for over 3 years with my server. People join and tell me they love it, but they don't stay because there's hardly anyone else on to interact with.
samyboyz
01/10/2016 1:19 pm
Ivain
For that you have to have some factor that sets you apart from other servers on whatever type you chose

Like what?
macgarthur
11/07/2015 6:12 pm
I think the biggest spoilers of a server are poor management and owners who are either greedy or bad at financial planning. It all comes back to poor management though really.

It isn't hard or expensive to start a server, you can learn everything in a couple of weeks and get a server off the ground. The problem is too many don't have a "business plan" or a goal for the server. They just start downloading plugins and going crazy and before you know it there is no theme or direction, it's just a hot mess of mismatched plugins.

The other angle is that server owners are either greedy, or they simply aren't fiscally responsible. Many people get into this to make a profit and run this like a business, which is fine however that doesn't work long term. The hungrier the owner is the more pay2win oriented the server becomes and eventually you have a handful of people who have donated hundreds of dollars and everyone else has left. Those who are just fiscally irresponsible don't plan ahead. Yeah a server might only be $25/month and you just got $30 in donations this month, but what happens if nobody donates the next month, or the month after that? Too many people rely on donations to pay the bills instead of using them as supplemental and that's the biggest killer of all. When you open a server you should always intend to spend, if you get enough donations to cover your costs that's great, if you find yourself in the situation of a surplus bank it for a rainy day.

I've hosted several servers and I always hated renting from a host. I got tired of it and saved up enough to become my own host for my servers. This allows me to keep maintenance and downtime to a minimum as well as costs which means people aren't in a position they feel forced to donate in order to keep the server alive and it will be around for years to come.

I feel the pain of people joining with the "u need staff?" and when you ask them to fill out an application or politely say no not right now, they say something ignorant and are gone forever. Generally online gaming was very different years ago, the communities were different. It's not that you can't have a great long lasting server, it's just get exponentially more difficult as each day passes to stand out from the sea of fly by night servers.

Just my 2 cents on the situation, you decide how to spend it.
Ivain
11/06/2015 11:33 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
PanPanyTo recap servers are dying because these kids think they can be the next mineplex so they go out and rent 1 gig servers for $3 which closes down at the end of the month

Rant much. and no, this is not the reason servers are dying, nor is it the reason we have a EULA.
First of all, every major game has a EULA. It's basically a form of "terms of agreement" that says what you can and cannot do with the game.
After a LOT of server networks had made donator ranks pretty much pay to win, Mojang decided to put a stop to that by updating their eula.
The result of this is that it is a lot harder to start up a self-sustaining server, and anyone starting one is basically paying from their own funds unless they get extremely lucky. For many people having a server is little more than a pastime, not a professional venture aimed at making money.

Yes, there are "9-y olds" that rent a crappy server for a small amount per month using their daddy's creditcard. However, I am not in the least bit convinced that this is in any way harming the other servers. An existing server with a stable playerbase is NOT going to be affected by a kid starting up a shitty server with a handful of standard plugins.

The problem is GETTING to the stable playerbase. For that you have to have some factor that sets you apart from other servers on whatever type you chose, and provides enjoyment for long enough that people are tempted to come there again and again.
However, most beginning servers cannot expect a larger playerbase than 20 people or so, spread across timezones. So it will not always be fun for those players if it is a minigame server or similar server that requires multiple people to have fun.

Few people seem to understand the correct way to start up a server publicly. I didn't, for the longest time. But this thread being posted started me thinking, and I'm figuring a few things out. It does not mean that those things are at all helpful to the OP or anyone else looking to start a server, but they might be.

Anyway, Don't you think its people with prejudice like you that are doing the very damage you attribute to a few kids that are running a server like their parents would have run a lemonade stand at their age?

(end of rant)(hypocrisy, I know, but one fights fire with fire sometimes)
PanPany
11/06/2015 8:36 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
The reason why wonderful gamemodes are dying is because every -wonderful- 9 year old thinks they can make a successful server so they go rent a 1 gig server for like $3. They do it with the intention of making money and thats why we now have a minecraft eula because these kids think they can move -ponies-. They are the reason why the original gamemodes like factions survival etc are dying. These kids have school and homework to do so they barely have enough time to work on their server. They are just hurting the game for all the other servers that people have the time to work on. My server is custom coded by my team and i and we are still struggling to get a player base. New players wont even try out some minigames they literally join the hub and ask for staff and if they cant get staff they leave forever. This wasnt like this before players actually wanted to play. "Staff" nowadays is just an alternative to a donor rank i mean these kids expect to have op when their staff. Making silly nicknames and just abusing their powers to make them feel good.

To recap servers are dying because these kids think they can be the next mineplex so they go out and rent 1 gig servers for $3 which closes down at the end of the month
BamBamAlicious
11/06/2015 7:59 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
No word of a lie... I just had this join,

<Player> Joined the game
>This is boring
>You have lots of servers
>Give me one
>Bam
>Bam
>Bam
>This is boring
<Player> left the game
Ech0Chamber
10/27/2015 6:31 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Necromancer
People don't play survival as much. Ever since factions started people got more, and more aggressive. Not that many people wanted to enjoy building, and survival.
samyboyz
10/27/2015 7:40 pm
But pvp is enabled. Not an issue :~)
samyboyz
10/27/2015 6:22 pm
Mannke
So how, can you ensure a stable playerbase ?
Use Twitch. I can only recommend it. Get some streamer, with around 10-20 regular viewers to play ur server and let other people join through him. People love playing together with some1, whos a little fame and appear in his/her stream.

The most useful post so far. Thank you a lot.
Mannke
10/27/2015 6:13 pm
If you still want a honest answer towards the main topic of minigames growing and survival dying:

- Simplicity.
Its fukin easy to join a Lobby, click on the sign and boom you get thrown into game, where you kill ppl. Heck, even a trained parrot could do that. Especially since the PvP is just spamming this or that.

- Competition
Well, back in my days we had pokecards and whoever got that shiny charizard was the big boss. Now, you have minigames (or other games with a Ranking system) and can compare to others. Worldwide.
This a huge motivation + the thrilling element of surviving against others does the rest.

- Idolization
Your favorite Youtuber/Streamer plays it. So ofc you also want to play it (with him), cause he is cool and stuff. Minigames wouldn't be as popular if people wouldn't promote them constantly

And now lets look, what most survival server needs you to do:

1. Read them rules.
Ofc we got the netiquette, which is often mentioned but some server simply go further and set up a huge bunch of rules, so that they can monitor the server better.
This can be alot of info and most players don't read it anyways, if they are not forced to.
2. Getting familar with commands & locals.
A Survival server will at some point, force you to contact other users in order to ask/learn/trade. Furthermore the commands can be quite alot and ppl will start to feel overwhelmed by it.
3. Gathering resources
You need them. Badly. Some players like it alot to farm and build, but alot of players also find it a chore, if they dig in dirt for a hour and "just" earn a few diamonds.

In fact, we also got a generation gap. The older ones, are moving onwards or trying huge modpacks, while the young generation simply enjoys PvP. This might change within time, like in 2-3 yrs they all want to play some survial/freebuild in order to get creative.
And ofc the fact, that literally every 12yr old can buy a server is definetly a reason aswell. Back in the older days, ppl would actually run some crappy server software from their own PC/root and were really into it.
But the market reacted and delivered us glorious prepaid gameserver. 10 bucks and you get a decent server for a month, where you can manage around 6-10 players and couple of plugins. And it often comes with a handy webinterface and point & click plugin installation.

So how, can you ensure a stable playerbase ?
Use Twitch. I can only recommend it. Get some streamer, with around 10-20 regular viewers to play ur server and let other people join through him. People love playing together with some1, whos a little fame and appear in his/her stream.
sippiboy
10/27/2015 5:28 pm
Level 26 : Expert Artist
evading? i dont know what that is suppose to mean, my old name was sippiboy1234 but i changed it like a couple months ago
samyboyz
10/27/2015 5:35 pm
Ban evading means you are using another account to bypass a ban on a former one.

It apparently was over two years ago that you received this ban by dl69. You're welcome to make an appeal. I'll pm you the info.
sippiboy
10/27/2015 5:11 pm
Level 26 : Expert Artist
Instantly banned, all i did was join i got teleported somewhere then i saw there was a translating plugins and i said "wow that cool" then i did /rules got teleported to the same area and banned, my ign is Sippoboy if you want to unban me but if your having trouble with having players on your server maybe you should have it so it doesnt ban them, i also saw that on your website there are like 17k bans idk if there is like an insta ban thing but that crazy
samyboyz
10/27/2015 5:17 pm
You were ban evading from the account sippiboy1234.
Treyvaderxio
09/28/2015 6:27 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Warrior
samyboyz
TheOfficialNanoIts not that their dying
its just that everyone has a server nowadays, so its impossible to get noticed.
Good luck, you need it.

This isn't the issue. The survival server I play on is actually the oldest one with a map that's five years old. The issue is that the:
samyboyz
"veterans" of the server have exhausted play and have done everything that is possible. For them it's simply tiresome to play now and many of them have moved on to bigger and better things.

The server has been noticed and yet over the past year it has been dying . Have any tips?

Tips? Don't give up on the server. If anyone here has played or knows anyone who has played WoW, then you know the community is always crying about the game dieing. Minecraft servers don't just die overnight, maybe tell your friends about the server and help with advertisement.
Treyvaderxio
09/28/2015 6:25 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Warrior
Survival servers are dieing because the true soul of minecraft is gone. Its not about "Building something cool" or "Testing your survival skills" anymore, its about getting lots of points in minigames and then making a crappy vid about it on youtube.
Lachie1770
01/28/2016 4:43 pm
Level 44 : Master Architect
Sadly that is very true, the MiniGame Servers are killing the game slowly...
MoveAlongNothing2See
09/23/2015 8:57 pm
Yea, Wow, with 1.9 in the snapshots, 1.7.10 is definitely out... I feel your pain about the new people who come on frequently just wanting staff, to build a shop/spawn/whatever, or to just be annoying to any new players who come on.

Honestly, I think most people are just bored with survival.
samyboyz
09/23/2015 4:18 pm
Bemp
BamBamAlicious
09/19/2015 4:30 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
I find the same thing to be honest, used to have a thriving community... now have very little!

It's so hard to get people to stay long enough to even say hello!
Cjak41
09/19/2015 4:11 pm
Level 29 : Expert Pirate
In my opinion that is one of the most boring servers, factions, minigames, vanilla etc. Those all sound generic and un-interesting. I used to play on a small airship and factions server, just that additional plugin added tons more content. The sever you play on needs to spice it up really.
samyboyz
10/31/2015 7:55 am
But survival is miles better. It was what the game was intended to be about. With these factions and small airship servers there is no sense of community involvement.
AndrewSchroeds
09/19/2015 11:28 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Artist
Is it me, or is that your server?
samyboyz
09/19/2015 3:59 pm
It's not my server. It's someone else's. I just play there a lot.
okoloto
09/19/2015 4:03 pm
Level 27 : Expert Dragonborn
Then why is it on your profile?
samyboyz
09/19/2015 6:43 pm
You don't have to own it for it to be on your profile. I just asked him to change the motd or whatever was needed.
MrMax
09/19/2015 11:04 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Hunter
Wow, racist against survival servers much?
samyboyz
09/19/2015 10:59 am
bump
samyboyz
09/05/2015 7:10 am
[Redacted]
jeeperscreeper77
09/04/2015 8:57 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
I used to play a ton of survival servers but every time I start liking one the owner/ staff make me mad...
Crunchy
09/04/2015 6:41 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Architect
If what you are saying is true about the world being 5 years old that could be your problem.... if the new players join and see that the world has very little resources left why would they want to play there? There is also the issue of the veterans having everything they would ever need thus having no reason to play. Survival isn't dying it just gets less entertaining the further along you go.
samyboyz
09/05/2015 7:09 am
I entirely agree. The spawn is just so congested - a real turn-off for newbies. Knowing server policy, I know it will never get reset. There is still room for people to build as the map's massive, but finding such places with plenty of resources and space is challenging - not to mention isolating.

jeeperscreeper77I used to play a ton of survival servers but every time I start liking one the owner/ staff make me mad...

The staff on this server are incredibly kind.
samyboyz
09/04/2015 5:04 pm
oolliiee123most people just want staff and if they don't get it they will leave. Sadly that's the way it is...

so true

Thanks for the advice
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome