I made a mod that just did one thing.. should i add more? ....

Arkaliasus's Avatar Arkaliasus5/9/24 11:27 am history
6 emeralds 156 8
5/12/2024 12:58 pm
Arkaliasus's Avatar Arkaliasus
I made and uploaded a mod the other day that did just one thing (rotate the boat to the way you are facing as you get in it).

Was that lazy? should i of added in a couple of custom boats or something? (the file size is 8kb total xD )

Arkaliasus
Level 40 : Master Mage

Create an account or sign in to comment.

SculkwolfContent
05/09/2024 7:38 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Architect
three things you need to add to it just to make the boats part EVEN BETTER:

1. R.M.S. Olympic
2. R.M.S. Titanic
3. R.M.S. Britannic

since it's boats, lol
Arkaliasus
05/12/2024 12:58 pm
they'd have to be mini versions! i'll look into it xD
Park1423
05/09/2024 7:05 pm
Level 26 : Expert Modder
Yeah i think its good. people might want just this feature and not more boats. i would put that as a different mod
Arkaliasus
05/10/2024 2:36 pm
ok this is 100% what im gonna do! im starting a list already! xD
ScotsMiser
05/09/2024 4:01 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Miner
history
Backgroud explaining the reasons for my opinion
There are two countervailing factors to consider when adding features:
first, every feature you add will be something that is wanted by only a fraction of players (it may be a very large fraction, but will be <1.0)
second, every resource pack added to an installation of the game adds a certain amount of overhead –aka lag ( this may be quite small, but will always be >0 )

Based only the first consideration, every change should be it's own stand-alone 'thing' [​mod/skin/texture] with individual users addng things à la carte while based only on the second various 'things' ought be combined intro a single pack.
[The best 'compromise' to this conflict is Xisumavoid's Vanilla Tweaks which allows the user to select items that are then compiled into a single pack.
This is, however unfortunately, an approach that is generally out of reach. ]

This conflict is particularly important for mods as the technical skills needed to combine them is significantly greater than for skin & texture packs.

With the above in mind, I think the mod you posted that makes a single clear change is perfectly fine.
Were you to add other closely related features, this might b an overall enhancement…, but simply adding loosly related material seems more likely to detract rather than enhance utility.
Arkaliasus
05/09/2024 4:21 pm
yeah i was thinking that maybe i should of made a couple of boats, maybe add in a furnace boat for giggles or something xD
ScotsMiser
05/09/2024 6:03 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Miner
Not sure for what I'd use afurnace boat…
If it worked like furnace minecarts, one might be able to bring back some of Etho's boat alighment tech and use it to launch boats with nametagged creepers, but thath's already pushing the utility....
Arkaliasus
05/10/2024 2:37 pm
torpedo creepers... dude i so need to make a furnace boat now. imagine the carnage xD
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome