Better noob tutorial for Forge?

Taledus's Avatar Taledus4/11/13 9:31 am
1 emeralds 105 2
4/12/2013 9:02 am
Taledus's Avatar Taledus
I have been following along with this:
http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Basic_Blocks

I need some assistance locating a better starting tutorial for modding with Forge. Using the above I have run into several issues since getting everything setup, and I believe it is because this tutorial was created for an older version of Minecraft. I am not even able to locate net.minecraft.src.Material even though I have followed the tutorials on the site to the letter and did not run into any issues with errors in setting everything up.

I have programming experience, just not with Java, and I am wanting to work on a mod for 1.5.1 if that makes any difference.

Any help is much appreciated.
Taledus
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

ehdfawq3er
04/12/2013 8:40 am
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Modder
If you have downloaded the latest build, I recommand switching to the recommanded build, since the latest can be unstable. Make sure you've set it up the right way. And also, as written in the tutorial, the Material class is not located in the net.minecraft.src folder, it is located in net.minecraft.block.material.Material
Taledus
04/12/2013 9:02 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
Maybe this is a special tutorial, and when noobs like me look at it it'll display something completely different:

Materials

Compared to the rest of the properties, materials are complex in what is set. The good news though, is that you'll probably not need to create a material. Materials can set the following properties:

Whether a block can burn.
Whether a block drops itself.
Whether a block can be pushed, i.e. by a piston.
Color on maps
Whether a block is translucent (like leaves and snow)
Whether a block is a ground cover (like snow)

The entire list can be found at net.minecraft.src.Material. Picking which one you want shouldn't be that difficult. If none of them match what you want, you can create your own Material, and use that.

And I have the recommended versions of everything, except I have JDK 1.7 instead of 1.6 because the previous installation tutorial says it is compatible:

http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Installation/Source

You MUST have the JDK installed

If you do not, install Java SDK Standard Edition (short JDK). Then, add the paths to your JDK and JRE bin folders to the Environment Variable PATH.

Example for Windows users of what you have to add to the variable (entries are seperated by ";" ):

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_24\bin;C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin

You should also be able to use Java 7 (JDK 1.7), but doing so means that all users of your mod must also be using Java 7.

I have re-installed everything and started from scratch again. I still get a warning about the JRE-1.6 not being found in the workspace, but when I run it without any attempt at modding anything it will run, which means I have done at least 1 thing correctly.

I came across another tutorial yesterday for 1.5.1 and am going to try following along with it.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome