Age Requirement?

Skaldas's Avatar Skaldas3/12/14 5:49 am
1 emeralds 2.1k 67
7/29/2016 6:16 pm
Ludicrous's Avatar Ludicrous
When you join a server and feel like applying for staff many of you might notice that they have an age requirement or ask a question how old you are.

What's your Opinion? How do you feel about this? Should it be allowed? Should it not?
Skaldas
Level 10 : Journeyman Scribe

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/29/2016 6:16 pm
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Ludicrous
Tsk tsk tsk.
You guys really should read the rules. Don't necrobump threads older than a month.

Locked it for ya!
07/29/2016 5:49 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Cake
Jrcarp
imo staff is useless servers only really need like a ratio of like 1 admin per like 10-15 daily active players.
07/29/2016 5:35 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
kirsten624
I agree, just because because someone wants there server to run a certain way, your not proving your mature enough.

Other way, I would just be a nice and active person and that might change everything, including the requirement.

03/13/2014 8:05 pm
Level 46 : Master Blockhead
SilverKytten
zeno410Somebody who's articulate, polite, and self-controlled can almost always get a waiver.

No, not really...
03/13/2014 11:41 am
Level 44 : Master Modder
zeno410
Age restrictions aren't enforceable, because you can't normally know how old somebody is. But they are a useful guideline. You could always try talking to admins about their age policy. Somebody who's articulate, polite, and self-controlled can almost always get a waiver.
03/13/2014 3:26 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Crafter
HydranoidMC
True, but servers are different in quite a bit of ways. Firstly (relating to this topic), they don't know the age of most people on server (usually). Unless they're a super-pedo (or just a kind guy), they don't know the person's age. They might be a friend of their's or something, but they wouldn't mind it if so. But yes, EmpathyHeals, you are correct about most of the staff being made of friends that have been known for a while. If adults play on the server, why do they feel it's unfair? They have other servers to play on if a 10-year old is an admin (Of course, demote/ban them if they go mad with power).

I don't mean to start a super-debate or war around here, just my opinion.
03/13/2014 2:34 am
Level 42 : Master Zombie
EmpathyHeals
AzrelWhen you join a server and feel like applying for staff many of you might notice that they have an age requirement or ask a question how old you are.

What's your Opinion? How do you feel about this? Should it be allowed? Should it not?

One way to look at it is like it's somebody else's party. They might invite everyone or just certain people, but not everyone gets to be the "host" and the "usher" and the "chef." Some who help are people the host hires, but most are real life friends they have known for a while. The theme of the party, what games / events they choose, is all up to the host and party planner; you can earn their trust but it's not often someone will just let a stranger take over. When the enjoyment of many people is at stake though, usually it is adults who need to be in charge, because there are many details and sometimes complex issues to deal with. The host needs to make sure everyone at the party has a great time, and leaving kids in charge is risky. Even if younger people prove themselves, it can be an issue of credibility, because some adults who play on servers or come to parties for that matter do not like to see a child running things. It may not seem fair, unfortunately.
03/13/2014 12:50 am
Level 1 : New Miner
Lucky_Man_001
I really think its not the age but the way you act and respond to certain situations on servers... Done
03/12/2014 11:52 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Crafter
ssSkillzzz
Age does matter. Scientifically speaking someone under the age 24 doesn't have a fully developed understanding (brain). I'm 33 and unless I really knew someone and trusted them, I would not seek someone under 16 as a staff member. Also, the KEY point in this is that if someone comes on my server and the first thing they do is ask about staff. I ban them right away as I know that's all they care about.
03/13/2014 12:02 am
Level 1 : New Crafter
Fishfam4
Sorry for correcting you, but it's 25. 24 is when the part of the brain that allows for lasting emotional attachment forms. But otherwise, your post makes sence, although I'd only employ people who I knew and trusted as staff, no matter what age the person is.
03/12/2014 10:34 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Engineer
Farseer Caltair
I don't think age matters that much in the grand scheme of things, as much as maturity level. Yes, older people have more developed frontal cortices, but, I know 12 year olds who are far more mature then 25 year olds. Just my two cents.
03/12/2014 10:22 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Fox
Foxy
Regardless of whether they're mature or not, there will be people that will go absolutely insane if they find out that a 10 year old is part of the server staff. It can scare off some people from joining a server and cause others to quit. Members who don't quit sometimes just rage all over the server, complain to the owner when they get on, or just cause them to be a jerk to the kid on staff. I've seen all of these things happen with several Minecraft servers and in several other games.

So really just don't always assume a server owner who sets an age limit for staff is just intolerant of kids since it can really just be to avoid problems with member and guest players.
03/12/2014 10:05 pm
Level 28 : Expert Network
Descripted
It makes sense to me. I agree younger kids.. Can be mature, but some people don't believe so. If it's the server rules, it's the rules.
03/12/2014 10:02 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
Fishfam4
MrProtagonistI run an uncensored "mature" server, and all my key staff are at least 18. However I have mods as young as 13.

Got an application for admin from a 15 yr old. Says he ran servers and knew all about configs and what not. I asked him for a link to something he designed, as he mentioned he did graphic design also.

I get a link to a file on his computer. The whole file://c/user deal. His impressive app then became null and void to say the least.

While this 15 year old was immature, you're implying that all children are immature. I'm 14, but most people I know online are under the impression that I was 20+. IMO, don't hire people based on age, hire them based on maturity and experience.

Point here is that I employ adults because they have more experience with computers, handling situations, they have a work ethic from having a real job, and they have more competence with figuring things out on their own rather than asking every question that comes to their mind while doing a project for me.

Not all adults have more experience with computers. Most people born since 2000 have used computers most of their lives, while someone born in, say, 1980 might have only just picked up computer skills in (just an example) 2005. Children are proven to be faster learners than adults, so would you trust a 14 year old with 8 years worth of computer skills (i.e. me) or a 30 year old with 3 years worth of computer skills?

I just don't have time to hold the hands of a bunch of kids wanting to learn but not research on their own. I also have no time for the immature flaunting if power and commands younger staff tend to do.

Actually, no complaints here.

Also, nobody over 16 respects the authority of somebody younger than them.

While true, it's kinda sad. If someone age 20 tells another 20 year old to, say, ride a motorcycle without a helmet, but his little 13 year old brother says that it's illegal in this particular state for a reason, who would YOU listen to?

I'll hire younger staff if they show promise and intellect. Otherwise, I have no interest in babysitting kids wanting to be introduced to the world of responsibility and problem solving.

^this^

And that's my analysis of your post!
03/12/2014 9:35 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Geek
Z645
From what I do on my server. I don't give a crap how old you are. You're getting the damn staff rank if you can show me maturity and understand-ability of how to operate and maintain the server. If you can't do that, I'm sorry but no rank.

And the people who come online to ask for a rank, I simply send them off. Tell them to leave. Yes it lowers the community population. But also removes the beggars from the server to allow the users who actually want to play to enter.
03/12/2014 9:31 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Hunter
theIgloo
I don't like the application process for anything, I've always believed in only promoting someone if I see them being a good staff. An active player and a good builder doesn't always mean a good staff.
However, there should be an age limit to who you make staff. Recently we promoted a 11/12 year old to Admin due to his constant activity and dedication, but he frequently pushed it, abused and was always immature. He's one of those who talk about weed 24/7 and make sex jokes all the time. We demoted him and banned him for multiple reasons and then he threatened to keep using alts, change his IP and grief. We haven't seen him once yet.

TL;DR If you give a damn about good staff, maturity and the image of your server, don't recruit 10 year olds to be in charge of everyone. 14+ is when I tend to see people becoming more mature and responsible.
03/12/2014 9:27 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Network
SenorBellZim
So, if you were 8 years old and applied to a job somewhere. Do you really think they would hire you? Or a more experienced 18 year old?
03/12/2014 9:42 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Geek
Z645
Is it even possible for an 8 year old to apply for a job anywhere? LOL
03/12/2014 9:42 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
Example purposes, man. Example.

*EDIT* If you're that affected by that, change "8" to "20" and "18" to "40". You can also state the job as "lumberjack". Gives the same context and point.
03/12/2014 9:40 pm
Snowyfox
Experienced 18 year old because he's experienced, not because he's 18 years old. I would hire a 8 year old piano prodigy to play for a wedding than some 18 year old that constantly drinks and makes horrible jokes.

And I'd hire the 8 year old to trim my bushes even if he's less experienced than the 18 year old, because the 18 year old has more things to do and more job opportunities while the 8 year old needs some occasional teaching from me so he gets the essential experience for the future when HE is 18 years old. Give the young ones a chance if they clearly have the capability to do their job.
03/12/2014 9:22 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Artist
Got_Wood
It's not wrong in any way besides funny. In my opinion, the whole application situation in servers make me laugh. You're basically applying to volunteer as an admin for an online community but doing it towards pre-teens who would like you to do so as if it was a real job. *giggles* Better update my CV! :v
03/12/2014 9:15 pm
Snowyfox
(1) I vote maturity instead of age; my life philosophy is highly against age stereotypes, I can make an essay regarding my hate for this perk of society. Sure, maturity is harder to measure than age, but I find it's much more effective and easy to simply see someone's tone and their ability to type properly with sensible grammar than to ask for their age when they can simply lie. I never ask for age in my whitelist forms, I always ask for maturity level or do some test (hidden or not) that requires you to type at least a sentence.

(2) Exactly, why the hell are there staff applications anyways? Ban them from the corners of this universe already, they're horrifyingly ineffective. You either pluck out the best of your players and employees or you do it the way people do in the outside world; through real-time interviews.

I'm fine with staff applications if they're used to a small extent, such as my server where there's only one staff rank, and that rank isn't really a staff rank. But when you start seeing all these random servers that have experienced 0 prior uptime trying to hook up some volunteers from forum threads, you kinda anticipate a 99% chance of epic failure.
03/12/2014 3:04 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Warrior
serdarminecraft
İ think they should say that your app is under review and then watch you in vanish mode. Then if your acting mature and your app is good they should accept you. İ did this on my OLD server. ( İ dont have a new server so)
03/12/2014 3:03 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
It's their server, so sure, they should be allowed to do what they want with it. I completely understand age requirements because people with more life experience make decisions differently than those with less. It's just a fact of life. Sure, not all younger people act the same. Some are more mature than others and this goes for older people as well, but that life experience and skill with problem solving and socializing with others really depends on how much time you've had to practice. Also, when everyone is a certain age or above, you have a lot more in common. You often watched the same shows as kids, share similar belief systems and the like.
03/12/2014 2:27 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Miner
MrRandomMan
If you were on a Server and the Admin was lets say 11 years old would you allow them to boss you around? If that ever happens I personally would leave the server.
03/12/2014 2:29 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Network
WritingIsFun
"Boss me around"

Depends, if they were telling me to stop doing something I didn't know wasn't allowed I would definitely be like. "Oh." and then stop.
03/12/2014 3:00 pm
MrRandomMan
Meant that I would totally stop if I was breaking a rule but if telling me to stop doing something lets say like stop trying to kill me and pvp was allowed I would just leave.
03/12/2014 2:09 pm
Level 41 : Master Toast
Xyifer12
AzrelWhen you join a server and feel like applying for staff many of you might notice that they have an age requirement or ask a question how old you are.

Allowed? Nobody has the power to disallow that.
03/12/2014 2:07 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Ranger
HarwoKing
I think this is not nessasery, because i think they mostly do this to have a profesional and serious staff, But that doesn't have to do anything with age

PS, Im not a native English speaker so dont mind my spelling errors
03/12/2014 1:55 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Explorer
LyonJenkins
I think It doesn't matter what your age is or not, it matters about your skills, maturity, etc. But, if your younger than there probably looking for, you may have tough time considering that older people have more experience than younger people.
03/12/2014 1:45 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Dwarf
spires33
Vortezzzz
NamizyThey shouldnt judge people on their age, do it on their maturity! I am 12 but I am very mature and handle bad situations in a good way!

Telling us that you're mature just makes you look more immature.

The world is made of stereotypes and you'll have to live with it or go cry in a corner. You cannot deny that younger people usually have less experience and social skills. They pay for their servers (unless its on a pc), and they don't want some ignorant kid handling griefers and complaints etc. I'm not saying that you are an "ignorant kid" but most of the young people the owners have met have been. They make their decisions based on experience, it's not like they're trying to harass younger people.

If you really want staff, get your own server and see how hard it is to get people to play on it.

and this
03/12/2014 1:39 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
Pie_N
If they beg for admin, then mute them. The same goes for people of ALL ages.
03/12/2014 1:34 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Pokemon
Opdoger
I'm not trying to be harsh but most young kids are easy to get trolled and then they rage then it causes lots a mess for the owner. Another reason is like when you have a 10 year old admins they abuse so hard and when you lower there rank they cry i'm 16 I only hire 14 and up.
03/12/2014 1:23 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Hunter
ShadowLuck
Sometimes it is needed. Because if I were an Owner recruiting staff, I would like to know if this guy or girl is suitable for the job and that I won't get some 9 year old kid that doesn't know shit about servers. :/
03/12/2014 1:22 pm
Pie_N
Yeah, the main reason I edited it is because I realized there was more than just one page /)_-
And no, I was trying to say that you don't need to set an age limit. You don't need to announce "Hey guys you can only apply if you're over 16" or something like that. I can see why you might think I was against myself. But I think that owners should just reject people that they don't think are good enough, instead of setting limits. I know people want to run their servers the way they want to. This is just how I would do it. If I had applications at all. And since you say you read my other post before my edit, you should know why it isn't complaining.

Edit because I don't want to post for a third time: I don't think it's fair to turn away a great application because the person applying is 10. That's what I mean T_T
03/12/2014 1:36 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Pokemon
Opdoger
If you don't set age requirements you will have a bunch of little kids begging for admin and will never stop
03/12/2014 1:06 pm
Pie_N
I think that if someone seems like they're a good choice for staff, then choose them. In some cases, I can see why people want an age limit. But personally, I don't think an age limit is necessary. If you don't like them or you think they're too young, then reject them.
Age doesn't always mean maturity.
03/12/2014 1:13 pm
Level 46 : Master Blockhead
SilverKytten
AzrelShould it be allowed? Should it not?[/u][/b]

This is complaining - Trying to decide how other people should be allowed to run their servers. (Yes, I saw your post before you edited it. That was sneaky.)

Pie_Nyou think they're too young, then reject them.

That is the exact definition of setting an age limit. You're now arguing against your own point..
03/12/2014 12:38 pm
Level 23 : Expert Network
SoyMonkey
i say yes to this there should be a age requirement for staff i would say about 16 years of age seems more responsible than a 10 year old (no offense to any 10 year olds)
but i have known some 16 years olds that act like they are 5 so either way just pick someone thats good at the job and doesnt mess everything up
03/12/2014 12:10 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
JohannesD16
I think that they should be at least 17 years, beacause the older you are the more grown up you are, kinda
03/12/2014 12:04 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Artist
MrProtagonist
I run an uncensored "mature" server, and all my key staff are at least 18. However I have mods as young as 13.

Got an application for admin from a 15 yr old. Says he ran servers and knew all about configs and what not. I asked him for a link to something he designed, as he mentioned he did graphic design also.

I get a link to a file on his computer. The whole file://c/user deal. His impressive app then became null and void to say the least.

Point here is that I employ adults because they have more experience with computers, handling situations, they have a work ethic from having a real job, and they have more competence with figuring things out on their own rather than asking every question that comes to their mind while doing a project for me.

I just don't have time to hold the hands of a bunch of kids wanting to learn but not research on their own. I also have no time for the immature flaunting if power and commands younger staff tend to do. Also, nobody over 16 respects the authority of somebody younger than them.

I'll hire younger staff if they show promise and intellect. Otherwise, I have no interest in babysitting kids wanting to be introduced to the world of responsibility and problem solving.
03/12/2014 11:56 am
Level 38 : Artisan Programmer
deadrecon98

Necessary, Most 5 yr old children would hardly know how to use a computer.
03/12/2014 11:43 am
Level 11 : Journeyman Pony
Epenex
It's completly fair. It's their server, they can set whatever requirments they want.
03/12/2014 11:30 am
Level 46 : Master Mlem Mlem Bat
Midnight
The owner of the server can do as he/she pleases. It isn't your place to demand they change their requirements on anything. If you don't like what they require then leave.

I personally only promoted users who were above the age of 17 for the server I moderated on for 2 years, not because they were above that age but because I knew they were mature. Closer to the end I did promote a much younger user because over a period of time he proved he was mature.
03/12/2014 11:35 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Goblin
poltercreeper
this sums up what i was going to say
03/12/2014 11:05 am
Level 37 : Artisan Blacksmith
TheUltimateArchitect
I believe that asking for age ruins the opportunity of being staff for those of us who don't feel comfortable sharing our age.
03/12/2014 10:57 am
Level 36 : Artisan Explorer
Vortezzzz
NamizyThey shouldnt judge people on their age, do it on their maturity! I am 12 but I am very mature and handle bad situations in a good way!

Telling us that you're mature just makes you look more immature.

The world is made of stereotypes and you'll have to live with it or go cry in a corner. You cannot deny that younger people usually have less experience and social skills. They pay for their servers (unless its on a pc), and they don't want some ignorant kid handling griefers and complaints etc. I'm not saying that you are an "ignorant kid" but most of the young people the owners have met have been. They make their decisions based on experience, it's not like they're trying to harass younger people.

If you really want staff, get your own server and see how hard it is to get people to play on it.
03/12/2014 10:56 am
MrRandomMan
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I agree with this guy to because will you trust a 11, 12 year old? And how would you fell if they boss you around
03/12/2014 10:44 am
Level 84 : Elite Programmer
Arcaniax
people won't take you serious if you're only 12 ...
03/12/2014 10:58 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Prince
MayuriYandere
People take me pretty seriously
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome