-=URGENT=-

RealSilk's Avatar RealSilk3/28/15 9:50 am
1 emeralds 174 2
3/31/2015 8:54 am
Altitude Community's Avatar Altitude Community
I cant join my server.

the server starts up fine, and i get no errors in the console (even when I try to join and get kicked out)

but when I join it says unknown host.

i also have the server added on the minecraft "add server" place and it says "Can't resolve hostname"
RealSilk
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/31/2015 8:54 am
Level 31 : Artisan Pixel Puncher
Altitude Community
If you are running it on your own PC you will need to port forward to let other people connect. Port forwarding should fix the problem with "add server"

Here's a guide how:
Click to reveal
First let's find out what your local IP address is. This is a set of numbers that distinguishes your computer from all the others on the network. When we port forward we will use this to tell people which computer to go to.

To find this open up a command prompt. In windows go to "start", and in the search bar type in "cmd" and hit enter. In Linux find it in your list of applications (it's called a terminal).

Once this is open we only need to use one command. For windows it is "ipconfig" and for Linux it is "ifconfig". Mac your on your own until someone can comment the directions for me to add.

A bunch of text will appear and we are looking for the "IPv4 address". It should look something like: "192.168.0.109". An example is in the photos below.

Keep this window open! Once you have found it go into your favorite browser and in the address bar type "192.168.0.1" or "192.168.1.1". One of those two SHOULD connect you to your router's admin panel. If both of those don't work you may need to search your router type on google and find it.
(This site looks promising: http://portforward.com/english/routers/ ... ding/)

Once you are in here you will most likely need a username and password. Unless someone has changed them it is one of these:

Username: admin
Password: admin

OR

Username: admin
And the password is on the bottom of the router.

Figure out the combination and you will have access to all of the configuration settings. You will be looking for something called "port forwarding" and it is often under the "advanced settings" section of routers. Every router is different so you may need to look it up or explore. Just.. Don't change anything in accident!

Once you have found this it is time to open up that port. By default the port for minecraft servers is 25565. If this port is taken you can pick a new one by changing the number in the server.properties files in your server folder.

You will then enter your IPv4 address into the address bar, 25565 in the starting AND ending ports, and select TCP as the type of port. If there is a TCP/UDP option, perfect, select that one. If not then you will need to first select TCP and then create a Second port forward with everything the same, except the type is UDP.

You should now have both a TCP and a UDP port forwarded on port 25565 to your personal IP address.

The only thing left to do is distribute your address. For this you will need to go back to your favorite browser, and type in "what is my ip". A number should pop up, along with a dozen websites that will also tell you that same number. This is your public ip.

Your public ip is used to identify you as an individual while you are on the inter web. It makes you unique and allows websites to identify you and people to find you.

Slap a ":25565" to the end of this number and you have your server address.

Port forwarding will only let people OUTSIDE of your home connect. If your running a server on your own PC you will need to use one of the following to connect:

"localhost"
":25565"

Use those in the address bar when adding the server in game.
03/28/2015 4:44 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
MinecraftHosting
Hey there!

How are you connecting?
Where are you hosting the server?
If it is home hosted is your firewall / router / modem configured correctly and have you port forwarded the server?

Thanks!
^S
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome