Lurking in the darkness skin contest.

DragonsDungeon's Avatar DragonsDungeon11/26/14 12:15 pm
1 emeralds 1.3k 15
12/3/2014 1:09 pm
Cuboid_Bird's Avatar Cuboid_Bird
Introduction
Hello, and welcome to my themed contest. I'm DragonsDungeon, and the text below here includes the information for my contest.

The contest will begin the 26th of november, and end at new years. This due date may get changed however, if people do not finish their skins before it.

If you're confused about anything, feel free to pm me and ask about it.

Background
Click to reveal
the 25th of november I reached 1000 subscribers (big thank you), which has been the main inspiration for making a contest, but also. I've been looking for a themed contest where I really liked the theme which I haven't been able to find, which has also been an inspiration for this.

Theme
Lurking in the darkness will be the new theme, thanks to Drazile for pointing out that the old theme may have been too similar to the above the clouds contest, as of lurking in the darkness. Create a character/creature that's lurking in the dark watching you. This character/creature may be friendly and could potentially just be a lost traveller, but it could also be a monster just waiting for it's chance to attack.

Judges, judging and rules
Judges:
For judges I've tried to find some experienced skinners that has a lot of experience and skinning and can determine how good a skin is.
The judges are:
Myself (DragonsDungeon)
Gopher_Tuna
-Atom-
RipClaw
-
I have great faith in that these skinners can and will judge this fair. Also these are experienced skinners, that will be able to help you out if you have some major problems or doesn't understand the theme or how to make certain things.

Judging
We will judge the skins in the classics of originality/concept and execution, we will also look how good the skin fits the theme, but don't let that stop you from doing the skin you want, just please remember to explain how the skin fits the theme if it isn't obvious that it does.

A good way to do that is to add a short backstory or a short description of what the skin is and how it relates to the theme, just like in the official pmc contests.

Rules
Skins entered in the contest must fit the theme, don't post something that has nothing to do with the theme to the contest

Skins must be newly made for the contest, no old skins here.

Remember to explain how the skin relates to the contest, we can accept you not doing this, but it does surely help.

All the normal PMC rules does of course also count, as the contest is launched on pmc.

Prizes
Click to reveal
As I'm not sure exactly what the prizes are, I will add more eventually to this list, but as of now I do only have:
1st place: A 1st place trophy, a skin request from me (if you want to have it it),
2nd place: A 2nd place trophy, a skin request from me (if you want to have it).
3rd place: A 3rd place trophy.
I may eventually add some better prizes to this, but to be honest I think you should enter the contest for the fun, the prizes should just be a bonus.

Help and guides (tutorials and guides)
Click to reveal
If you are confused or new to skinning, don't let that stop you from entering. Here are some nice blogs containing some great tips that will give you a nice kickstart on how to do several things.
http://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/skin-making-tips-tricks-techniques-and-more/, Leostereo's blog explaining some good tips for making skins
http://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/1000-subscriber-special-color-theory-101-hue-shifting-palettes-and-stuff/ Knobleknives' blog where he explains hue shifting, palettes and colours in general.
http://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/tutorial-palettes-and-hue-shifting/ The_soup's blog explaining colours, hue shifting and palettes, just like the one above.
http://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/a-big-tutorial-on-skinning-transparent-pencil-shading-skinning-steps-tips-and-tricks-and-more/ Leo's big blog about a lot of things, this may be a bit confusing, but it certainly is a good read.
http://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/luis-guide-to-hair-shading/ Luis' guide gives some good examples of how you can shade hair.

I will look through a bit more to find some more, if you have some that you think needs to be added, feel free to inform me about it.

When submitting a skin for this contest, please put a link to this thread in the skin's descritpion and post a link to the skin on this thread, thank you.
DragonsDungeon
Level 76 : Legendary Button Pusher