Drawing Help

Marissa_Frost's Avatar Marissa_Frost7/2/15 10:22 pm
1 emeralds 313 6
7/3/2015 10:53 am
Marissa_Frost's Avatar Marissa_Frost
Hey. I'm going to try to keep this short and not other lengthy. Okay.
I'm trying to get into the manga/anime stay of art. I'm pretty good at it, but the hair is SIGNIFICANTLY different then popular pieces. Mine is like clay and without texture. Whenever I try to add the lines I notice in the hair, it's either to much or to little in the wrong spaces. I came her today to ask if any of you guys could give me some pointers on the line part of the hair (of course any other tips about drawing or manga would be nice ^u^). Thanks if any of you awnser and it's greatly appreciated!!!
Marissa_Frost
Level 29 : Expert Dragonborn

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/03/2015 10:53 am
Level 29 : Expert Dragonborn
Marissa_Frost
Thanks! These are all extremely helpful! From the tips on the hair to the shading and general way I should go about becoming a better artist, they all are really helpful. Now Ima go fix my horrible clay hair which shouldn't take to long. (This doesn't mean I won't accept more help. )
07/03/2015 6:49 am
Level 32 : Artisan Network
MissMarifire
I'm going to play devil's advocate here;

Don't bother focusing on a specific "genre", especially one such as anime. That's how I started drawing and it didn't get me very far; I didn't really learn much of anything. Looking at your deviantART, I'd suggest starting with using a posing program like Pose-maniacs or something, and sketching what you see, even if it's just basic shapes. Basic shapes of the body are more than enough to suffice with helping you become a better artist. Also, while dA is resourceful, don't take all the information you see as 'law', as I don't really trust all too many artists there; for large concepts such as anatomy, get books or professional online resources such as programs or pdf files; usually they're made by people who know specialize in that field of art. All else fails seek a seasoned artist who's willing to critique your work and help you figure out the things you need to work on.

The reason I bolded "especially one such as anime" is because it's a stereotype that teenage artists often portray, and to other artists it's really a big joke: they're a 10-14 y.o. wanting to become "the greatest artist ever" and draw "super serious stuff" that the little ones aren't into. Then they hop onto some anime, and start trying to draw something like it. They'll want to draw intricate designs, for instance Attack on Titan characters, expecting them to be on-point and perfect, and it goes into a flop. I am not trying to say "hurr durr animu's fur weebs", in fact I've enjoyed many forms of anime and manga for quite some time, but honestly in an artist's perspective, I'd incorporate bits and pieces (i.e. iris designs and simplicity), but not go entirely into the genre until you're able to get in the very basic fundamentals of anatomy and perspective, and how both tie into one another.

TL;DR:

Don't do anime, kids.

...I'm joking. Do anime, but don't just do anime. Draw everything and then some. Also, if you plan on focusing on doing art as a career, practice and study a lot into anatomy and perspective, because I don't recall all too many anime or video game characters with mismatching limbs and extremely sharp jawlines.

As for your question, try doing it (sketch) in quick strokes, and repeat with coloring. Use references that depend upon the kind of hair you're trying to draw. Also, if you haven't already, get a drawing tablet; both digital and traditional. Draw using MyPaint or Sai (Preferrably former, as it works a lot more smoothly and gives you infinite workspace) on the former, and scan what you draw on the latter.
07/03/2015 5:34 am
Level 35 : Artisan Artist
Ellie
If you go on deviantart there's plenty of tutorials for anything manga related. These aren't mine obviously, just putting them here for you.

Click to reveal

Click to reveal

Click to reveal

Click to reveal

I'd suggest learning how to draw hair realisticly before learning how to do it in any cartoon style just so you understand how hair flows better and in return get a more appealing effect

Hope that helped
07/03/2015 3:13 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Crafter
LionHybrid23
Try to think of hair as having different layers. Think of how the hair looks to, like... is it messy, smooth, curley. Also, maybe if your having this problem like i do, remember the character your drawing has a forhead. You could also make a guidline for the scalp to if that also helps.
07/03/2015 2:48 am
Level 23 : Expert Zombie
ZombieBunni
I don't really call my drawing style 'manga', but I think I could still help. . .maybe.
07/03/2015 12:00 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Artist
Roer
I'm still pretty new to drawing in that style, but if you'd like I could give you some pointers.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome