Have your parents ever bashed what you wanted to be?

FCCAGut12's Avatar FCCAGut123/31/15 6:03 pm
3/31/2015 8:05 pm
Jex_Infinite's Avatar Jex_Infinite
My parents bash me almost everyday saying what I do is lowly and how it is one of the worse things one could do as a job. They want me to go to college and work at a refinery, that doesn't excite me. They don't even understand what I fully do, they would hate to know that I write blogs more than I work on computers. I think I work on graphic designs for advertising more than I work on computers. Does anyone else have any examples they want to share?
FCCAGut12
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/31/2015 8:05 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Cowboy
Jex_Infinite
They think I cannot achieve the ultimate course of law. I can.
03/31/2015 7:55 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Blacksmith
Henry_Jekyll
Whatever I go after, my father approves of, as I have multiple back up plans, budget plans, etc. I suppose it's kind of weird but I honestly don't get the point in dropping out of school, that stuff, but that's just me. Anyways, I guess I think people should follow their dreams, but with people who are all like "I want to make my money off of youtube!" I just don't understand. Do they not realize that even though the most famous youtuber can make lots of money, it's horribly hard to get there, they'll probably get tons of hate, as all youtubers do, and even then, it's almost overwhelming on the demand people want from you, if you do become famous. I just like to set reasonable goals, and backup plans.

TL;DR: My parents are cool, have back up plans, don't drop out of school, set realistic goals.
03/31/2015 7:50 pm
Level 59 : Grandmaster Senpai
AnimeFanFTW
Thankfully, no.
03/31/2015 7:46 pm
Level 74 : Legendary uwu
TheOfficialNano
this whole thread is gold.
03/31/2015 7:44 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Mage
ZachDevv
This thread has turned... meh.

Parents normally want what is best for their kids, such as to stick in school and go to college. If you love something enough to be a job, and it makes enough money to live on, they will most likely eventually accept it. You just need to show its a good field of work to be in.
03/31/2015 7:37 pm
Level 48 : Master Button Pusher
PolarBearSmall_
When living with a Dominican father and an Arab mother, I get bashed and ignored everyday, sonny.
Like my dream of becoming a photographer
I'm still gonna minor it in college bc they cant tell me what I'm gonna be in life
03/31/2015 7:34 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Explorer
TylanderGD47
Heh. alot of things for one i said i wanted to stop being forced to take AD/HD medicine, they know it does the opposite and makes me vomit. Also why is it so wrong to purposely get yourself of the A-B honors list?
03/31/2015 7:47 pm
FCCAGut12
I was given AD/HD medication as a kid but one doctor just said I was strong willed but schools didn't even let me in the door without it. When I was 12 I told my mom nope, this is the end get me off this and so it happened. I've been much better off since. To this day those same teachers think there's something wrong with me.
03/31/2015 7:51 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Explorer
TylanderGD47
All its ever done was make me more hyperactive if anything. i eventually ran out and they couldnt get more but still, every time i took that stuff...either it made AD-HD worse or it came back out.
03/31/2015 7:32 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Dragonborn
iedfisjifjwseizjfuse
Dialga
SpeedyIt sickens me how some parents try to decide what their children's futures will be. In my opinion no one should let have input in what they do. Anyone whose parents do this, stand up to them. Tell them that it's your life, not theirs.

I personally have parents who'd support whatever I wanted to do. I want to work in some field of art or design or something, I also plan to go to college. If I chose to skip college and work at a restaurant my parents would be hugely disappointed, but they'd accept. (not that I'd ever do that)

My parents are the same but I am not allowed to drop out of school at the age of 16 like most students do (I.e. Why I am still in school) and I Have to go to university

Yeah, it's basically the same with me.
03/31/2015 7:29 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Magical Girl
BIO
I wanted to do something with computers and art. My father, who is a professional artist (graphic design), told me not to waste my time studying art, and to pursue it separately after my career. He literally sad, "If you become an artist you will be under-payed your whole life" 0.0 so I took his word for it and now I'm applying for admission for a large number of engineering schools I'm interested in.
03/31/2015 7:20 pm
FCCAGut12
Also one thing I want to add as well I just thought of...I think the parents who don't want their kids to fail are afraid of failing themselves. I have a half sister who's self employed as a dog babysitter and I have a cousin who used to be a professional model (she was in the same boat I'm in for that), recorded music, and now has a business doing massages. They like what I do and they say go for it and it will work out eventually and my sister told me she regretted that she didn't try making a business when she was my age because she could learn a lot from it.
03/31/2015 6:55 pm
FCCAGut12
I do what I do because I see flaws in every little thing. I also work on my own Linux distro and my design plan is I take what I learn that I have to come up with a solution for with fixing computers and I convert that to something that just works. I want to be in a position to change what I see problems with and what better way than to be an entrepreneur? I do make mistakes and I do fail at times which pains me, but it doesn't kill me. I made mistakes my parents would absolutely kill me for and call me careless. I want to take this as national and give people the ability to see they can do great things with very little money. I don't want to be a boss that commands everyone but instead I want to inspire people and help people learn more if they question what I do. I think it's a very valuable lesson to (quoting Steve Jobs) realize that everything in life was created by people no smarter than you.

I think the thing with parents is they don't want you to fail. I HATE this. I know first hand that I have this protective bubble and they don't want me to be outside of it and be homeless and have a "safe" job and to stay in this nice comfortable bubble. I'm not homeless I got things I wanna do and I work for them. I want to learn everything I can about people and to understand them. Failure is part of that to grow, I think you have to suffer before you can be truly happy and before you become a success and with that kind of failure you simply can't go backwards and fall apart because you didn't have anything to lose in the first place.
03/31/2015 6:44 pm
Level 24 : Expert Architect
illdeletethis
_scrunchParents only want what's best for their children

what a load of nonsense

the vast majority of parents has spent less time looking at which parenting practices actually are good for children than choosing their latest car

otherwise most of the commonly used parenting practices would have died out decades ago as they demonstrably harm children, including the streams of discouragement against the child"s goal talked about in this thread
03/31/2015 6:36 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
forgot about you
Yes. I am used to it because they hate starting to recognize that I love doing it, so it isn't a problem anymore
03/31/2015 6:32 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Explorer
Golden Vortex
No, not really.

However, I have a friend who was talking to another friend about what he wants to be. The other friend says about how he wants to be a youtuber. The first friend turns around and laughs. He then proceeds to tell him how ridiculous that is and how not even the most popular youtubers have YouTube as a job. He doesn't stop there. He then makes up that pewdiepie does YouTube as a part time job.

That friend kind of gets on my nerves...
03/31/2015 6:28 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Architect
Spidersam19
My parents hate the idea of me becoming a cop, but I really don't care if they don't want me to, I still am becoming a police officer.

Anyone have any funny story's?
03/31/2015 6:27 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Blob
Speedy
It sickens me how some parents try to decide what their children's futures will be. In my opinion no one should let have input in what they do. Anyone whose parents do this, stand up to them. Tell them that it's your life, not theirs.

I personally have parents who'd support whatever I wanted to do. I want to work in some field of art or design or something, I also plan to go to college. If I chose to skip college and work at a restaurant my parents would be hugely disappointed, but they'd accept. (not that I'd ever do that)
03/31/2015 6:30 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Princess
Dialga
My parents are the same but I am not allowed to drop out of school at the age of 16 like most students do (I.e. Why I am still in school) and I Have to go to university
03/31/2015 6:39 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Blob
Speedy
You don't have to go to university if you don't want to. Parents have no legal say in whether or not you go to college. If it ends a good relationship between you and your parents then so be it.
03/31/2015 6:23 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Pony
_scrunch
If it feels right to you, then do it! No one can stop you!
03/31/2015 6:17 pm
FCCAGut12
I do, I'm already doing it but they say it's not a real job and I am wasting my life. I have big plans no one else has done and I'm going to do them. I do YouTube videos, I do blogs, I even talk to the people on my Facebook group and it's all for my computer repair stuff. Although I see myself as a computer scientist more than a computer repair person, I do admit computer repair is a dead end which they are right about. There is a reason why I do what I do and that's the part they don't know/understand so it bothers me.
03/31/2015 6:10 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Pony
_scrunch
Parents only want what's best for their children. Sure, this may seem like they don't care about what you really want to do, but the truth is, they do. You just need to show them how passionate you are about what you really want to do.

I have a personal example, some of my family members thought that I wasn't being serious about joining the British Army, but hey, here I am now a week away from going to the barracks to train to become a soldier. Follow your dreams and all else will follow:)

Good luck!
03/31/2015 7:58 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Scribe
LetsGoTrippin
This man speaks the truth.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome