How Can I Improve My Art?

xXx MineCasual xXx's Avatar xXx MineCasual xXx9/8/13 1:15 am
9/11/2013 7:01 am
Chawawaa's Avatar Chawawaa
Hi to all miners!

How can I improve my drawing? Can I use a other program, or what? By the way, I'm using Gimp.

xXx MineCasual xXx
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/11/2013 7:01 am
Level 39 : Artisan Artist
Chawawaa
xXx MineCasual xXx
xXx MineCasual xXxHi to all miners!

How can I improve my drawing? Can I use a other program, or what? By the way, I'm using Gimp.

Here is a improved one. In Gimp I used the grid view to make the drawing more accurate.

Something that does add a bit more to a style is shading. I myself am still trying to find the right style along with a good shading technique for my style. Just keep practicing so far you doing a good job!
09/11/2013 6:48 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Dragon
samkee00
xXx MineCasual xXx

Here is a improved one. In Gimp I used the grid view to make the drawing more accurate.

The wobbly version that is original looks better. Just my opinion. It looks less "generated"
09/11/2013 4:10 am
Level 37 : Artisan Geek
bro10
Try to not use custom made square cubes.Go on the less neat side for example these are some of my very own art.If you want in a weeks time I can make a blog tutorial for you if that helps.

http://postimg.org/my.php?gallery=9eie6qtg

http://s5.postimg.org/u01jyin3r/Yay.png
09/11/2013 2:26 am
Level 1 : New Crafter
Coffee_Brew

Programs I recommend using paint.NET, Paint Tool SAI, or Photoshop. Sai is better for linework and sketching It's better for noobies all around, but photoshop is better for doing everything else.
09/11/2013 2:17 am
Level 38 : Artisan Robot
ElementalAndroid
Maybe add more detail.
09/08/2013 7:03 am
xXx MineCasual xXx

09/08/2013 3:47 am
Level 43 : Master Princess
Buttsauce
NOTE: Please read this post only if you are really serious about improving your drawings. If you are not, please feel free to ignore it.

For starters, forget about computer art. People tend to believe that plastering filters/brushes/God knows what else all over mediocre art will suddenly make said art any better, which is a big, fat lie. Until you actually learn how to draw, computer not only won't help you-chances are it will make your pictures worse. Now, how to actually improve your drawings:

Step 1: Improve your eye-to-hand coordination. Grab a big sheet of paper, some markers/pencils/whatever, and draw straight lines and simple shapes like circles, triangles, squares etc. At first your lines might look wobbly, but don't give up! This part is the easiest but also the most boring. It will give you strong foundations on which you can build your future skills, so it's important not to skip it. At first you are going to move your wrists while drawing-try to put more motion from your elbow and make wide, long strokes. It's important to try different shapes in different sizes.
Keep practicing, your brain will thank you later. You are ready to proceed to the next step when you can easily draw regular, straight lines (or circles).

Step 2: Learn how to use your eyes. Drawing is mostly about observation and building your knowledgebase. You are surrounded by things you can draw. Start with simple, everyday shapes. Put a tea cup or a box of matches or whatever in a well-lit place and try to draw it as you see it. Try to build it from simple shapes you learned in step 1. Consider the perspective, colors, the way light and shadow build the form of your object. How do shadows change when you change the placement of the light? How do colors look like in the morning and in the evening?
Drawing people is a fantastic and very important exercise too. Draw your friends, your family members, even yourself-just use a mirror. Try to draw them in different poses. Study the way lines and shadows build their bodies-you will make lots of discoveries and start seeing things you've never noticed before.

Step 3: Practice, practice, practice, practice... Drawing is hard work. Really, really hard work. You need to repeat things you learned hundreds of times, until you learn them by heart. It takes lots of patience to be able to memorize enough about a human face to later be able to recreate it from memory, but even then using references is pretty much a solid part of an artist's routine.
You are never going to have too much practice.

Step 4: Draw whatever you want. Use all your knowedge you gathered over the course of your artistic education. Draw whatever you want. And never, ever stop trying to become better.

And that's it.
09/08/2013 3:13 am
Level 31 : Artisan Zombie
Xandra
I used to use gimp. But I recently tried out SAI, and I found it to be a lot smoother and easier to use, and always ending with better results uvu
09/08/2013 3:16 am
xXx MineCasual xXx
Is it compatible for Windows 7 64bit? And is it called PaintTool SAI?
09/08/2013 2:38 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Dragonborn
HaylingZar
Following on from mincraftED, free hand is a good way to start your drawings, but if you have a scanner you can edit and refine your art on the PC.
09/08/2013 3:01 am
xXx MineCasual xXx
What to you mean by a scanner? I know my printer can scan, but how can you then edit it on PC? Is that even possible, because if it is, it is awesome!
I can personally draw good on paper, but I don't have all the right colours.
09/08/2013 2:36 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
Ayuki
Here are some tips

- First of try to do lines in longer strokes. Basically trace the motion a couple times then complete the motion
- For digital if you can when your doing final lines, try and find an option for your stabilizer. (Only applies if you using a drawing board)
- Proportions if you drawing minecraft characters or any object, try to figure out what is proportional to what, this will greatly improve your art!
- And I agree with minecraftED, drawing on an actual piece of paper is a great way to practice techniques and such and will help you improve your skill. Also traditional artwork is an awesome gift to give.
~Hope this helped good luck with your art!
09/08/2013 2:29 am
Level 24 : Expert Network
NOTAVALIABLE
you should try freehand drawings! i personally prefer freehand to gimp but your choice
09/08/2013 2:17 am
xXx MineCasual xXx
Thanks HaylingZar!

I struggle with the edges... I am busy designing me and Notch at Minecon. I hope it looks cool, but it's 2D only and with 'n Minecon backdrop.
09/08/2013 1:54 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Dragonborn
HaylingZar
I am no great artist myself, so I am no authority here. I must honestly say that I love the arts style. A little rough around the edges here and there, but overall a pleasing effect. I use gimp as well and it is an amazing tool. Good job and good luck.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome