Laptop overheating?

Prism Network's Avatar Prism Network5/26/14 6:00 am
1 emeralds 1.4k 47
6/16/2014 5:03 pm
Prism Network's Avatar Prism Network
So how can i stop this? It has clean fan, on table with nothing on it and overheats only when playing minecraft...

Thanks for any help!
- Atevi98
Prism Network
Level 18 : Journeyman Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/14/2014 1:38 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Pixel Painter
runesmite14
I went back and looked at the tool you were using to check your temperature.

If I'm not mistaken, it looks like it's checking the temperature of your HDD. Which at 44 degrees, is warm.

However, since CoreTemp showed a temperature of 0, I'm thinking there's something wrong with the thermometer, or CoreTemp is trying to read the wrong one. You could also check Realtemp, to see if that gets you any other result.

My guess is that it is shutting down due to heat, I know that seems to be a fading possiblility, but it seems we don't have the right information about your temperature (It also showed an A10 in that screenshot, with 44* Celcius, but you don't have an A10, so that is very odd, the A8, which you have, showed a temperature of 0.).

The fact that you have an AMD chipset in this laptop makes it more likely that it could be shutting down due to heat somewhere around the 80* - 90* Celsius Range.

You can check the temperature in the BIOS, it usually shows a little warmer than it is.

I would try another tool, perhaps even getting MSI Afterburner, and RivaTuner, and running it with Minecraft, that way you can watch the temperature of everything, and see what hits what before the computer restarts.

Another thing:
Does it shut down when plugged in, or only when on battery? (Sorry if this has already been asked.)
06/16/2014 5:03 pm
Prism Network
Well i dont really use my laptop off the power much, only when i go places with it which is rare but it does shut down while plugged in.
06/14/2014 9:16 am
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
Overheating is when the laptop throttles and/or shuts down due to excessive heat.

If it's not doing that, then it's not overheating; it's just getting really hot. It's still a problem, but it's a less serious problem.
06/13/2014 9:38 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
FCCAGut12
Ok, I'll jump in. First of all don't pay attention to WEI (removing it was one of the very few things that Microsoft got right when designing Windows 8) are you positive this is an overheat problem and not a hardware issue or some other sort of issue?

Do a stress test of the CPU with Minecraft running and keep a close eye out on the CPU temperature and tell us when it shuts off and what temperature it shuts off at this help us move forward in coming up with a solution.
06/14/2014 3:35 am
Prism Network
Well if you didnt read before i already mentioned it shuts down around 45-46 °C, i saw it with that "pistol" for heat.
06/14/2014 10:08 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
FCCAGut12
I read everything and if you're right I think there isn't an overheat problem. That's not nearly hot enough although.....you could check the BIOS if it has such a feature (some do some don't) to tell you what temperature it shuts down at automatically but don't change that setting if you have it. If you can't figure that out it could be a RAM problem (they can do some pretty cooky things sometimes) or some voltage problem which I don't think that could be it if there's a battery. CPU would be the main thing we should look at but if we don't have an answer yet it could be something else.
06/13/2014 5:34 pm
Prism Network
Oh and also my laptop has quad core proccesor so yeah i think its good to add that too.

06/13/2014 5:31 pm
Prism Network
My laptop specs, they told me it was "gaming laptop" at shop, now i am not best with those things so if some experts about computers could tell me if this is good or not well than would be great!

06/14/2014 8:58 am
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
Lol, never ever, ever listen to shop sales men. You bought a pretty cheap laptop, just a plain ole laptop. It's not bad, by any means, but it's also not good either. If you want a gaming computer, don't go with a laptop. There highest end GPU/CPU setup in a laptop, is around 2/3rd the speed of a high end desktop. (and costs more too)
06/14/2014 4:27 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Engineer
jjcyalater
lol look above the properties window #piracy
06/14/2014 7:12 am
Prism Network
What?
06/14/2014 9:01 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Engineer
jjcyalater
Theres a folder with frozen in it lol
05/30/2014 6:44 am
Level 21 : Expert Engineer
NetworkPCE
It's impossible for a pc to overheat at the heat of 58 degrees celcius, impossible. Are you sure you don't have any settings that limits the heat limit before your computer shuts down? Your cpu cannot be damaged in heat under 100 degrees celcius so that isn't a problem, i suspect it didn't overheat. I kind of start to think it is your graphics card that overheated, since the cpu is so cold. The GPU gets easily hot but it won't overheat over 100 degrees celcius again, the GPU fan or fans start putting more effort to it as it gets hotter. This is to ensure that your computer doesn't take damage, so the fans becoming louder is a good sign.

We can't do much about this, however if this started happening recently, go to your local store and have it replaced.
05/30/2014 8:20 am
Level 32 : Artisan Pirate
ZonkedCompanion
Its not impossible. It could be that the heat transfer compound has either perished or the heat-sink was never correctly installed. Just because the readout says 58degrees, there may be spots on the surface of the cpu that are hotter than other spots.

Also as an over-clocker with 17years over-clocking experience I can tell you that is its possible to damage a CPU well before the 90-100 degree mark, but it depends on the CPU. Most CPUs are only happy around 35-75 degrees, any more/less than that and you will most probably find the system unstable and prone to locking up.
05/30/2014 8:48 am
NetworkPCE
Obviously i meant 100 degrees during a short time won't damage the cpu enough to make any difference, however as you say, in the long run the cpu would go down. Thats an AMD cpu, AMD normally has pretty heat sustaining cpu's. (AMD gets hotter than Intel)

The heat transfer compound just doesn't fall off like butter, i need to scrap of mine with paper. (I renew it every 3 months)

This is a laptop, if the heatsink wasn't properly installed then he wouldn't notice it this late. If it would be it could be running at 70 degrees not a normal 40 and 50.

Obviously they function better in lower temperatures but it won't break for reaching 100 degrees once, yes the system would be unstable. I still stand with my statement for him to get it replaced if it started recently, changing the heat transfer compound somehow (very unlikely) fell off. Or wasn't properly put on place, he can't put new unless you have knowledge of computer components.(Laptops components are squeezed together to barely fit in the case)
05/30/2014 5:54 am
Prism Network
le bump :S
05/29/2014 4:09 pm
Prism Network
I could not find exact same cooler as i do have but this is similar to it, problem is it cools down middle of laptop which is always cold and it does not cool the i guess CPU or GPU part of laptop :S

05/29/2014 2:05 pm
Level 42 : Master Artist
GyTyAx3
05/29/2014 1:50 pm
Level 46 : Master Mlem Mlem Bat
Midnight
It says 44 degrees. Alright that works.

Check that tool you use for any type of setting that would turn off your computer. it must be in there somewhere. Also, when it turns off, is your laptop really hot? Its possible the temperature thing is broken and really your laptop is reaching 115
05/29/2014 1:58 pm
Prism Network
It may be as when i touch it both fan and table are hot, i mean i could fry eggs on it!
05/29/2014 11:33 am
Midnight
Its says 0. What the...

If you are on an easily restartable computer try restarting it and see if it works. Or play with the settings. Your computer obviously isn't freezing...
05/29/2014 1:10 pm
Prism Network
I did restart and it it still on 0, but other tool i use shows different..

http://i.imgur.com/Thb5Oxy.png

05/29/2014 10:01 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Artist
PhoenixMagic
My laptop used to heat up too even though I have a fan under it and a clean table. I have cats and their fur goes everywhere I looked at my fan and a bunch of fur was caught in the blades and it made the fan less effective so I had to clean it out with some tweezers and it helped alot.
05/29/2014 9:53 am
Midnight
It would never shut down at 45 degrees, my laptop shuts off at 115C, something else is wrong. It can't be dust in your fan, it has to be internal settings.

Do you have any type of settings in place that shuts off your computer when it hits a certain temperature? I can set mine to alert me or shut it off.

I use CoreTemp, right now my laptop is hovering at 44C http://i.imgur.com/WadMRrw.png which is very good considering a few days ago it was hitting 70 on PMC. I had dust in my fan, used compressed air to flush it out.

Look for some type of settings on your compute temperature wise, if you can't find any try downloading CoreTemp and setting the Overheat protection to 45 degrees.
Options>overheat protection>45degrees. Allow the popup balloon and MAKE SURE shutdown options are OFF.
05/29/2014 11:13 am
Prism Network
I installed it and here it is how it is for now o.O

http://i.imgur.com/lsrAT9j.png

05/28/2014 9:37 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Warrior
ghostriley
Try something cold and metal like, it should keep your laptop cool for at least 6 hours.
(Metal chair, plate, baking tray etc)
05/28/2014 9:30 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Toast
WillyWonka125
Put it on a cooling rack, the same ones you put your freshly baked cookies on.
05/28/2014 9:41 pm
Level 41 : Master Blob
Navbarry
Oooooo Fresh baked cookies
05/29/2014 9:25 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
Lurminite
Yummy
05/28/2014 9:26 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Taco
Rice
You sure its at 45°? It seems very unlikely it would overheat at that temp.
05/29/2014 7:31 am
Prism Network
I can take a photo of it so you can see, i use HD Sentinel for my temperature regulating and other things. Also to others i may put it on cooling rack, thats a good idea that i didnt try yet and will play with wirles keyboard and mouse!

If even than does not help i will go to my local store for laptops and computers.
05/28/2014 11:20 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Pixel Painter
runesmite14
You can usually find thermal paste from $8 - $10. However, as stated earlier in this thread 45 degrees Celcius is nowhere near shutdown temp for AMD or Intel. However, if it is cutting off, it'd be more likely you have and AMD processor.

So, if you don't mind, a few more questions:

Do you know what make and model CPU is in this laptop?

Do you hear the fan(s) running in the laptop?

Are the intake and exhaust ports free of lint and debris?
05/28/2014 11:23 am
Prism Network
I am sorry as i am not best with laptops and computers in general but i can take a photos of where my laptop is and what model of CPU my laptop uses, also i do hear fans which is really annoying but when i just leave it like that, doing noting with it i dont even hear fans and laptop is still on.
05/28/2014 7:48 am
Level 36 : Artisan Taco
Rice
Replace your thermal paste. It is probably dried out and not transferring heat to your heat sink well.
05/28/2014 11:12 am
Prism Network
I heard that if i dont know how to do it right i can damage my laptop so i guess i can go to the local store for PC and ask them to change it? And also where do i get it?
05/28/2014 7:38 am
Prism Network
Nothing of this helps :S
05/26/2014 12:59 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Network
Creeper7111
What you could do is leave your laptop plugged in and remove the battery
05/26/2014 12:50 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Ranger
rcs2112
05/26/2014 12:38 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
MineGirlx
Take it to a shop and have them clean it out, then ask for a program called speedfan. Works great.
05/26/2014 12:34 pm
Level 25 : Expert Nerd
MegaDerf
As someone already said, you could consider buying a laptop cooler.
05/26/2014 12:22 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
RoboShadow
What's the size of the laptop, and see if you can measure the internal temperature of it.
05/26/2014 10:00 am
Prism Network
I use only google chroom for facebook and skype but i have 8 gbs of ram, i have all settings to set to lowest even on fancy i run on 60 fps but only problem and i use only 2 gb of ram on my minecraft clien, now NetworkPCE:

1. When it becomes hotter it does make more sound but nothing weird just spinning harder.
2. Skype and Goole Chrome (facebook and pmc usally)
3. It is HP but i dont know 100% what model beause when i look it up there is only similar laptop, there arent any same as it so far when i found.
4. About 7-8 months.
5. Yes is has shut down because of heating problem, it has usally 45+ degres (i hope this is right format for how hot is it)
6. Only to minecraft, all other games like im not even playing them.

Hmm i maybe think it may be full hard drive? But as far as i know it does not affect computers performance..
05/26/2014 12:15 pm
NetworkPCE
1. It should spin harder, it's important, otherwise the cooling system wouldn't function.
2. Ok thats not it.
3. It's written on the computer
4. You can still send it back and get a new one, if you have a warranty.
5. 45 celcius? The cpu? The cpu can be up to 90+C before overheating. However if it does overheat, send it back and get a new one. (Warranty)
6. Ok, weird.

Okay so now, send it back to the store you bought it from, and get it replaced with a new one.
05/26/2014 8:24 am
NetworkPCE
Laptops are devices that can get very hot, i include every laptop here. Unless you use an alienware which is basically the size of a micro-atx build. (That means they are wide)

Here are things you should answer

1. When it becomes hotter does the fan start making more sound? (Spinning harder)
2. What other programs are opened at the same time?
3. What laptop model is it?
4. How old is it?
5. Has it shut down of heat problems?
6. Does it really just happen in Minecraft?

Please answer those, then i can help you.
05/26/2014 6:38 am
Level 31 : Artisan Ninja
XDLOL
Why not buy a laptop cooler? I'm playing minecraft in my laptop for months with a cooler and no overheating happens. Hope this helps!

http://www.planetminecraft.com/member/xdlol
05/26/2014 6:15 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Network
BillNye_
Do you have other programs open when you're playing Minecraft? If so that might be contributing to your fan problem, Just try not to make the fan work harder then it's meant to and it should be fine.
05/26/2014 6:07 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Blockhead
ThisIsntNath
I used to have the same problem with a very old laptop. Make sure you set video settings to Fast, Render Distance to low (5 or less) so that not much of your resources are taken up. Also make sure you're not using any other programs at the same time and maybe set Power Plans to Balanced if you can.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome