Looking for game programmer(s)!

Alpha_Legion's Avatar Alpha_Legion5/14/12 3:54 pm
5/17/2012 11:08 am
Alpha_Legion's Avatar Alpha_Legion
Hi guys,

I am currently planning for a small indie game that was going to go into development about a month ago, which me and a programmer we involved with (i was designer, writer, graphics etc.) however, after all this planning, he dropped out of the project due to certain personal things, however I am currently looking to carry on the project.

No programming or coding has been written yet, however I have a good idea (storywise and style) on where this game is heading. I will try to post some art soon that I have done for the game, and if you are an experianced programmer or coder (i don't really know as i'm not an expert in that field), please let me know below, WITH PROOF.

I need someone who can create a top-down shooter. We are going to use retro sprites (like in Pokemon for example) although have it fully top-down. It is a sci-fi game with a great story I currently have planned for it.

As I said, this is in fairly early-ish development, however I have some art and sprites, and a story outline.

Please let me know below if you're interested! Anyway, peace out guys.

- Alpha_Legion
Alpha_Legion
Level 56 : Grandmaster Pixel Painter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/17/2012 11:08 am
Alpha_Legion
sorry mate. if you were a day quicker, i might have been able to take you on, but i've found all the team i need now. I have 3 programmers, an assistant artist and an assistant writer, so my team is set.

good luck learning though. (from what i hear, its tough, and needs a lot of maths. a particular area i fail at :L) Thanks anyway!

Peace out,

- Alpha_Legion
05/17/2012 10:52 am
Level 47 : Master Architect
BeystormSoul1
Oh, its closed........................................................
05/17/2012 10:52 am
BeystormSoul1
But im now learning, so it wold help me too.
05/17/2012 10:51 am
BeystormSoul1
I can do Python programming. I would also like to help you. PM me if you would like me to program.
05/17/2012 10:37 am
Alpha_Legion
Ok, thanks everyone for your input and I have found out that actually some people I know do some coding, and have agreed to do the project for me. So thanks again everyone, but this thread is now closed
05/16/2012 5:14 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc146564
[deleted]
05/16/2012 5:06 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
Theta
I'm with Mafilix. A lot of people manage to think making a game is relatively easy, though it's pretty hard to make a game effective as well as stand out and not become a generic RPG.

If you download Stencylworks here: http://www.stencyl.com/stencyl/overview/
You can play around and see what works. This is pretty good for making simple prototypes of games, as well as rather complex ones.

It requires no programming knowledge whatsoever, so you can experiment around with the game mechanics before you jump in the deep end of game development.

(It's based on Scratch, if you've ever played it. But I think it allows a bit more diversity)

- Theta
05/16/2012 4:55 pm
Alpha_Legion
Urgh, ok. I think it's best if I spend a few months learning to code, then putting the game together myself over this summer, as I have 3 months.

Hopefully that should get some of the game done. :/ Thanks for your advice Mafilix, and would there be any chance of helping out in a few months time, or maybe soon, to see how my codeing is? Want to be a kind of alpha-tester too?
05/16/2012 3:09 pm
Level 22 : Expert Artist
Mafilix
I think its hilarious how little you people know about coding in general, you are looking at a 10 month project with a good TEAM of coders, only hiring one will extend this a longer period. Hiring over PMC isnt exactly the best way to do it either. You will want to have some more experience with coding yourself before you start to hire others, because you need to judge them. I would code your game in C++ or pure C depending on what platform you would like to release it in. Coding in it java would be easier, but that requires the JRE for most people, and will take longer to get running right. I cannot help you code this, even though i have the skills necessary, as i am working on another project atm. I hope you can find someone good, as i have given you some advice. If someone wants to publish it, thats great, but you need to see the quality of the game first, either way, good luck. If you want to test soemone's ability with coding, send them to me and ill see if they can do a good job.

Good luck again,

-Mafilix
05/16/2012 3:00 pm
Level 21 : Expert Dragonborn
AntVenom99
Could you give more details about the game? I still don't know 2D or 3D and what it should look like.
05/16/2012 10:14 am
Alpha_Legion
Well, to be honest I don't know anything about coding, and if either of you think you are able to code a 2D top-down shooter (pokemon style kind of thing, with a centre sprite on a 3D looking world) then let me know. Here is a more detailed criteria:

You must be able to:
- Code a generic moving character to move on the screen as I stated above.
- Able to make NPC's that talk to you (no voice acting, just text) and I will supply the script.
- Make enemy NPC's of different styles, ie. normal troopers that are like the main character or boss NPC's that are larger with a different AI.
- Use the sprites and sets I provied.
- Be able to follow detailed instructions on my level design and story.
- Able to do most basic coding in making this desired game.

Hope this helps with the guideline of tasks you may be required to do

Also, I already have a company willing to publish this game when it is made, so as long as you can do a good job of it, you will recieve a share of the income. (more details on that at a later date once the game is in production once I hear more from the publisher).
05/16/2012 8:22 am
Level 22 : Expert Unicorn
Gagaking
So yeah, Hope you go well though
05/16/2012 7:45 am
Level 22 : Expert Unicorn
Gagaking
I'm like Ant, I'd love to help, But the only coding I have done before is Minecraft mods.
05/16/2012 7:39 am
AntVenom99
I made tetris, so idk how complex this is though.
05/15/2012 4:50 pm
AntVenom99
I am, but I'm not too expierienced
05/16/2012 7:31 am
Alpha_Legion
How not experianced are you? Have you done anything before? And would it be possible for you to actually make this game? :/

If so, then I will tell you more about it
05/15/2012 11:45 am
Alpha_Legion
Is anyone on here interested??? :/
05/14/2012 4:04 pm
Alpha_Legion
Honestly, I have no idea. My friend just up and left. I have no experiance in the coding field, I've only done art and writing before. Sorry.

I think basically whatever you'd want to use, is up to you. As long as I know how to incorperate my art and design for the game into it, then thats ok.

Btw, i'm not yelling here, I just want it to stand out to those reading :L

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT CODING (hence my reason for posting this, or I could do it myslef) SO WHATEVER PROGRAM OR LANGUAGE YOU USE, IS UP TO YOU! PLEASE DON'T ASK ME ABOUT IT, BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW. AS LONG AS MY DESIGN CAN BE DONE, THEN USE WHAT YOU WANT!
05/14/2012 3:57 pm
AntVenom99
What language are you using? Java?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome