OGMC: Attempting to revive the old-school SMP feel

OneByteofMight's Avatar OneByteofMight3/19/20 12:54 am
1 emeralds 41
It was my tenth birthday when the SMP update came out. Me and a friend got a server to run thanks to help from his older brother. Our computers were slow and there wasn't nearly as many gameplay features in the alpha days but we made tons of good memories with our circle of Skype buddies. It's coming up to the 10 year anniversary of that legendary update and I still find those early days to be the most memorable experiences of my Minecraft MP experience.

In the the creating of this post, I present to all of you OGMC. The mission here is to recreate the vanilla experience that I remember when multiplayer first came out but on the most stable vanilla version of Minecraft. The server is running on a form of Bukkit API in support of later plugins that can be used to optimize the server experience. Leading me to my next point:

Survival Multiplayer servers are far from vanilla and that really disappoints me. While a lot of people frowned upon griefing and sometimes it got you banned, there was no way to write plugins to stop that behavior. "Anti-grief" and "land-claiming/chest-protection" weren't possible because only vanilla Minecraft existed at this time and most people weren't able to modify their server(s) to those extremes. At the same time, the game was so new that "hacked clients" didn't exist in such abundance as they do today. To achieve my vision of this server, I'm going to use the bare minimum of plugins. The only plugins added are anti-cheat plugins to make sure everyone will be on the same playing-field. Things like anti-movement hacks, anti-xray/esp, etc. If there is evidence of further interference with the vanilla gameplay experience, there will be a permanent ban.

Aside from tampering with the vanilla Survival experience, there's no way to get banned. Seriously, anything goes here. There's no spawn hub, no rule board, no donation ranks, just spawn in and play. If you wanna survive with someone you meet, go ahead, but they can take your stuff while you aren't looking so be weary. At the same time, feel free to attack strangers if you feel inclined. There are no rules for engagement here, just the vanilla game and it's players. Let the games begin, see you in the ring.

ip: ogmc.freedynamicdns.net
OneByteofMight
Level 4 : Apprentice Crafter