I Need A LOT of Inputs

DestructionE's Avatar DestructionE12/9/16 6:09 pm
1 emeralds 1.3k 13
12/17/2016 8:54 pm
Jas's Avatar Jas
I'm working a little bit on a sort of artificial intelligence. The part I am working on is an input and output system. Basically, just follow the link to a survey where you just say as many different things as you can. However, only give one question or statement in your survey. You can submit as many surveys as you want, but in each, try to think of as many ways to say your statement/question as you can. For example, if the question you are putting is "How old are you?" your response should contain every way that you can think to ask that like "How long have you lived?", "What is your age?", "How many years have you lived?", etc. Please, check the responses first to make sure it has not been said before. If you can think of a new way to say something that has been submitted, please respond with the first form of the question that was asked as well as your version. Thanks.

By the way, the only bad answers here are ones that I can not understand. I literally want as many different things as possible, no matter how stupid. As long as I can understand what you are saying, it is a valid response.

Responses

Link to the survey
DestructionE
Level 31 : Artisan Magical Girl

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/17/2016 8:54 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Sweetheart
Jas
Locked on request.
12/15/2016 11:19 am
Level 42 : Master Engineer
Luxaholic
responded. Will this be implemented into mc somehow? like for an rpg? Just curious, that'd be really neat.
12/14/2016 9:59 pm
DestructionE
Bump
12/12/2016 6:01 pm
DestructionE
GeeklesStuff

Again, people are guessing what I plan to do with it. But, what people seem to not understand, probably because I never stated it, is the the personality it my TOP priority. I am going to be developing a code to detect certain things in the inputs so that it knows how to respond. For now, I wish people would stop giving me advice. I appreciate what you guys have said, but I want it to stop, as I already have my own plans, many of which you guys are actually guessing of before hand. Trust me, I got this.
12/12/2016 2:36 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Network
Geekles
I loved making these programs, and I can tell you off the bat though that you should now take a step to step out of your comfort zone. You are thinking within the box, "Oh if I use an if statement to check for this string input then it'll respond with this, therefore I should just continue doing this and match up with as many statements as possible." That is a bad habit and you should always look for a shorter more efficient way of doing this. I'd recommend start by learning how to find key words within an input. This way if it detects the string "Hello" within the string "Hello friend", it knows automatically to reply by saying "Hi" back (kinda acts like how the short circuit evaluation works with (||) vs the "or" statement (|). Or even better have your "AI" generate a random number and use that number to choose the element that corresponds with that number in an array of possible responses (be sure that the random generator includes '0' as a possible number (computers count from '0' and not '1'. 0 would equal the first element within the array)). This is the first step of making your "AI" recognize strings. Perhaps sooner or later you'll create an algorithm that can recognize adjectives, verbs, pronouns, nouns, etc and it can figure out on its own what the user typed in and respond by generating a custom reply. That would be interesting to do. Anyways best of luck on your programming endeavors.
~Geekles

I'm well aware you are trying to give it a personality first before continuing, but that is a long process. Try taking a few more steps now rather then spending a month working on as many possible questions as you can think up of. It's fun trying new things, and I recommend you try making your program recognize for keywords within a string and then go for more challenging challenges.

Read more about short circuit evaluation here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short-circuit_evaluation
12/11/2016 8:56 pm
DestructionE
Bump
12/11/2016 12:39 am
Level 54 : Grandmaster Wolf
SteampunkWolf
I did the one about pets. :p Some may seem odd in the way they're phrased, but hey, you said as many ways as we can think of.
12/10/2016 6:24 pm
DestructionE
Silvania Studios
PepijnIsn't the whole point of AI that it should learn most things on its own through various (and not pre-determined) interactions? From what I read it sounds like you're making a bot that can have a conversation, but not AI.

Correct. He is making a standard call-and-response chat bot - possibly with AI elements if it stores data on the user (eg if it saves that age and can use it in future conversations, it would be incredibly basic 90's-level AI).

A true AI would be able to interpret any possible meaning of a sentence by using context. You wouldn't need to tell it that "How old are you" and "What is your age" are the same thing - it would simply listen to what is said, interpret that it was a question, then check the question for context (in this case "age" or "old" being the conext), and a target ("you"/"your") to know we are asking the bot, not asking about someone else.

Age is a very simple example of context-monitoring AI though. It's like a tiny sapling of what could become a grand oak tree with millions of possibilities, and the bot has to get the exact right path in a very short timescale for a "fluent" conversation.

I'm taking this one step at a time, and want to work on giving it a personality first. I want to see all the questions and all the answers it would give, and try to determine patterns between them to see if I can make something that will give me the response I would expect to a question that it was not programmed to answer. But, again, one step at a time
12/10/2016 5:51 pm
Level 88 : Elite Modder
Fureniku
PepijnIsn't the whole point of AI that it should learn most things on its own through various (and not pre-determined) interactions? From what I read it sounds like you're making a bot that can have a conversation, but not AI.

Correct. He is making a standard call-and-response chat bot - possibly with AI elements if it stores data on the user (eg if it saves that age and can use it in future conversations, it would be incredibly basic 90's-level AI).

A true AI would be able to interpret any possible meaning of a sentence by using context. You wouldn't need to tell it that "How old are you" and "What is your age" are the same thing - it would simply listen to what is said, interpret that it was a question, then check the question for context (in this case "age" or "old" being the conext), and a target ("you"/"your") to know we are asking the bot, not asking about someone else.

Age is a very simple example of context-monitoring AI though. It's like a tiny sapling of what could become a grand oak tree with millions of possibilities, and the bot has to get the exact right path in a very short timescale for a "fluent" conversation.
12/10/2016 5:39 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Cyborg
Pepijn
Isn't the whole point of AI that it should learn most things on its own through various (and not pre-determined) interactions? From what I read it sounds like you're making a bot that can have a conversation, but not AI.

Don't get me wrong btw, such a thing would still be awesome . I was just wondering if I understood something wrong.
12/10/2016 4:04 pm
DestructionE
Bump
12/09/2016 8:51 pm
Level 22 : Expert Architect
parshu
i already did muahahahah

btw other people u should do it
12/09/2016 8:50 pm
Level 23 : Expert Pokemon
AdminCasey