Patreon best practices

PoppyOMG's Avatar PoppyOMG6/30/23 1:03 pm
1 emeralds 59
Hi there!

So, to start this post is about my main project Poppy Bay a large city build. Been working on it since late 2019, its about 200k square chunks and I've put a ton of time and work into it. I'm really divided right now.

See, originally put a paywall on my world, not cuz I don't want people to enjoy it but because I A: Am really broke and B: I've probably put in well over 500+ hours into this build. I set the minimum goal to 2$ per month to have access to the latest build. I even made sure there was both Bedrock and Java additions available. I did get a few patrons who supported it. But I felt like it was really affecting the reach my world could have, I figured maybe I'd get less patrons but more community support by making it free and just posting a link to my Patreon. However I've not really gotten any traction with Patreon after taking the paywall away.

My question is, what kind of extra value could I give Patrons that isn't me putting the world download behind a paywall? Or should I just have the paywall and expect anyone who wants to download it pony up 2$. Is it selfish expecting anything back in return? I know my world isn't the most impressive city build on PMC but I think for being a single builder who isn't building on a super flat world it's pretty impressive.

Anyone have any success with Patreon?

Anyway, thanks
PoppyOMG
Level 40 : Master Architect