Why java?

hornetjumper's Avatar hornetjumper8/14/13 2:22 am
1 emeralds 1.1k 9
8/14/2013 3:56 am
MemoryLeak21's Avatar MemoryLeak21
Most of us all know minecraft runs on java, but why? They aren't many other games that run/support java at all. That's why the aspect of minecraft is so limited. They're are only so much you can do with Javascript. Please, take a look at other popular games and tell me they run through java, most of them do not. I'm not sure if this would be possible, but minecraft should switch to another program. But like I said, minecraft was developed in java, so that may not be possible.
Tell me what your guys thoughts are.
hornetjumper
Level 7 : Apprentice Ranger

Create an account or sign in to comment.

info Note: You're viewing a single reply. View all replies
08/14/2013 3:36 am
Level 40 : Master Pixel Painter
insomniac_lemon
Java =/= Javascript.

Minecraft was started and is still being developed in Java.

There's also no real reason to re-write/port the PC version of Minecraft to another language, because any "speed issues" are there because of poorly-written and un-optimized code (one of the reasons performance changes dramatically even between post-release versions), using another language would not help much, if at all (in fact, might be worse if Mojang tries developing for a language they are inexperienced with).

Not only that: Minecraft is cross platform. It works on any desktop OS that can run Java, and without much need for more effort besides OS-specific issues (mostly with OS X from what I've seen). It would be hard to replicate this in a language that is fast, not to mention most people even recommending not using Java would say just to develop it in C, which would result in Mojang either only supporting Windows, using some crappy port, or needing to make specific clients for each OS. Maybe they could use GIT somehow, but I still doubt it would be better than now.

Anyways: there's no real reason, Minecraft just needs more work and speeding up, it's not Java's fault. Java is better than it once was and is still getting better. Switching languages at this point does not make sense at all, would take more work than fixing Minecraft now, and is a whole other project in itself. If you want it in another language, try MC:PE or MC360 instead (hint: they're pretty much in "beta" mode like what the PC version had).
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome