Is 1.7.10 DEAD?

jtrent238's Avatar jtrent2384/20/17 6:09 pm
1 emeralds 2.5k 28
6/15/2017 7:04 am
PrototypeTheta's Avatar PrototypeTheta
I'm not seeing many new mods for 1.7.10 anymore, so is it dead?
jtrent238
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Modder

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/15/2017 7:04 am
Level 77 : Legendary Robot
PrototypeTheta
ethernity4everBut if you have time to update 1.7 versions then you have time to upgrade to 1.10 or 1.12 even.

I get what you're trying to say and it's not completely unreasonable for an outsider (apologies for the quasi ad-hominem) to think. However, the inner working of the game have changed so much in that time that some of the bigger mods would basically need to be re-done from scratch again (I know a few that have basically had to do this). Updating a stable 1.7 version takes a fraction of the time that such a re-work would take. I might get a few hours to tinker with the 1.7 build but I am not going to get the few weeks* I would need to actually carry out such a rework. I mean implying I'm even competent enough to do that in the first place.

ethernity4ever
MC 1.0 is easier to texture as well, does this mean that texture pack artist should drop support for all newer versions because its hard?

Textures packs are not mods. The complexities involved in porting the two are completely different and they are not exactly analogous. I get what you are trying to say here but it's not that simple.

ethernity4everMy point is, having your mod 1.7 only is just bad,

Long term I basically can't refute this. But everyone moves on at some point. Be it they leave it on 1.7.10 or 1.12.

Also, bonus point, don't take it too seriously as it doesn't apply to all cases but it did apply to me:

We actually moved past 1.7.10. Over a year later our core community remained on 1.7.10 and didn't take to the then far superior new version. Sure, the wider community wants 1.12, but the people who actually stuck with us and supported us stuck with 1.7.10 even after we moved past it. I guess I could put apathy towards the wider community as an alternative to laziness? Functionally the same but technically different.

*("just do it in small bits over time", doesn't end well, tried that already. Technically possible but extremely messy, not to mention a new version would probably be out by the time you are done making the whole thing moot in the first place)
06/14/2017 2:48 am
Level 42 : Master Dragonborn
IndyJacksonTT
NO!
It's my favorite version!
And if I use it, it's not dead...
06/14/2017 2:14 am
Level 44 : Master Architect
Lachie1770
Nah I still use 1.7.10 Myself, Its still got a ton of good mods that 1.10+... The later versions aren't the best anyway... Well the worst should I say.
06/14/2017 1:42 am
Level 20 : Expert Network
Sparthia
People move on.
06/13/2017 10:35 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Explorer
illuminati128k
I still use 1.7.10, it's still common among the modded community.
06/13/2017 5:02 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
LeeTheENTP
PrototypeTheta
Yes, we all have literally infinite amounts of time to dedicate to mods. We are just incredibly lazy and play host to incredible levels of spite towards the wider community.

1.7.10 is more than 3 years old, man.

Windows 7 is approaching the decade mark, and as an operating system it's still a viable option. Add programs and features to it and you don't need the new stuff.

If the mods still have more than modern minecraft versions, then there's no good reason to upgrade to something that would just prove buggy in the beginning and not add much more than the mods did.
06/13/2017 3:54 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
PrototypeTheta
Yes, we all have literally infinite amounts of time to dedicate to mods. We are just incredibly lazy and play host to incredible levels of spite towards the wider community.

1.7.10 is more than 3 years old, man.
06/13/2017 10:05 am
Level 77 : Legendary Robot
PrototypeTheta
LeeTheENTP
This I find rather self-centered, since they are refusing to "get with the times" because they don't want to do much recoding.

06/12/2017 10:55 pm
Level 38 : Artisan uwu
Ben36
I still run one of my servers with the 1.7/1.8 spigot protocol hack
04/22/2017 2:40 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Unicorn
McHorse
1.7.10 is dead only because Forge devs are dropped support for Forge for 1.7.10. If somebody is going to find a bug in this version (like messed up AABB), nobody is going to fix that, and the only solution would be is to host your own version of Forge.

I do agree, however, it's not laziness that keeps big mods stuck at 1.7.10, but stupid changes to the API. Those changes add a lot of work to modders, but on other hand, JSON models are great or Capabilities system. JSON models allow people to create fancy models for blocks in texture packs or even cool item models like those rad katana swords, while capabilities allow more flexible way of storing mod's data while also allowing to create your APIs.

What other things are great about newer versions are that they're still supported by ForgeCrafters, much more hooks, and more. The problem with 1.7.10 modders with newer versions, is the need to relearn stuff, which can be quite hard. Other than that, I think new versions are great some of my mods weren't be possible without new features. That's my opinion, anyways
04/21/2017 11:46 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Pixel Painter
Jakarian Studios
Heh, I actually just posted a mod that ported the new concrete to 1.7.10, I'll be porting to other versions as well.
04/21/2017 7:44 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
1.7.10 is simpler to mod for, and when a majority of big mods have that as a foundation, I find it reasonable for them to stay with what works rather than suffer the rollercoaster of Mojang making big changes to the underlying structure for no particular reason.

Some, quite frankly, do not need to "get with the times", because what they offer compared to Mojang's addition pace means that Mojang's additions would compete sometime in 1.68.8. If Conquest Reforged just stuck with the 1.7.10 core and continued to update that, they would still have over a thousand more blocks than Vanilla has now.

Now, if it is simple gameplay modifications that don't add more than what Mojang offers overall in new versions, I'd understand the need for those to update and consider the ones offering little gameplay shifts dumb if they don't want to take advantage of what's now a decently larger offering of content compared to 1.7.10.
04/21/2017 3:36 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Pixel Puncher
Pixelmon-Craft
There are still a lot of mods and modpacks only working with 1.7.10 but it seems like a lot of populair mods have updated to 1.8 and 1.10.2. Pixelmonmod is updated to 1.10.2 and all the 1.7.10 servers are drying out.
04/21/2017 9:36 am
Level 50 : Grandmaster Batman
Malitha
yeah its not dead the old mods are still there and they are updating and also kohi and pvp kinds of stuff are still there
04/21/2017 9:20 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Network
Saku123
No one uses 1.7 anymore! Why even try to find mods to that version?
04/20/2017 7:26 pm
Leeberator
Considering 1.7.10 is nearing 3 years old, it's safe to say it's dead, even from a modding standpoint. Most mods have been updated to 1.10.2 or newer.
04/21/2017 3:29 pm
HbTextures
"most mods" you mean some of the big ones? FRom a modding standpoint, 1.8 and up is awful.
04/21/2017 5:43 pm
Leeberator
From what I remember, 1.8 made some changes that made updating to it more difficult. However, since then it's been comparatively simple to keep updated.

Why haven't some big mod developers updated past 1.7.10? They simply don't want to make any major changes to their code to make it work with newer versions. This I find rather self-centered, since they are refusing to "get with the times" because they don't want to do much recoding.
04/22/2017 12:46 pm
HbTextures
Why would you even want to stay on track with the new versions if mahjong doesn't even add anything significant? We got new rocks (which we already had & backported again) new mobs (we we already had, ours even were better) new combat changes (which many people don't even like) and decorative blocks. Wow. Let's spend many hours of boring and tedious work so we can finally enjoy new rocks!
04/21/2017 6:29 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
Konrad
There are a lot of API changes from 1.7.10 - 1.8. Updating it would be a pain. Its not really being self centered. One major change was using json files for models and such. That really is a pain. I tried it but decided to stick with 1.7.10.
06/14/2017 7:18 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Necromancer
Noctris
MC 1.0 is easier to texture aswell, does this mean that texture pack artist should drop support for all newer versions because its hard?

Ill answer this for you. NO
You evolve with the times, you upgrade with the game versions, if you dont, you are either lazy or busy. But if you have time to update 1.7 versions then you have time to upgrade to 1.10 or 1.12 even. My point is, having your mod 1.7 only is just bad, there is no real reason behind it except devs being lazy.
06/14/2017 4:56 pm
Level 44 : Master Architect
Lachie1770
Texturepacks are easy compared to mods which make them no effort to update. Mods are a different story....

Theres actual coding in mods... Texture packs are just textures and maybe a few models... Modding is another story, Not every modder has 24 hours a day to do coding and updates... It could also be that 1.8+ are just awful and not worth there limited time. Just cause its not up to your new "Favorite" Version doesn't make it bad.
06/14/2017 3:23 pm
Leeberator

But also

04/20/2017 7:14 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Cooliverswifey
I use it lol
04/20/2017 6:49 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Artist
D1a1v1e1
I use 1.11.2 not 1.7 I don't know anyone who still uses 1.7
04/20/2017 6:46 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Scribe
Jetra
I'm fairly certain a lot of modders are working on making them 1.10.2 compatible or have stopped there.
04/20/2017 6:20 pm
Level 29 : Expert Blacksmith
striker107
I do not think it's dead, I do think that the current mods are still being updated, but I do not think many more mods are being made for 1.7.10 anymore. I would like to see new mods though...
04/20/2017 6:29 pm
jtrent238
Yea me too, I wish there was a way to make them all compatible with each other.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome