Redstone Engineering Division Recruit & Discuss (34+members)

Maveriknight's Avatar Maveriknight4/30/14 3:02 pm
1 emeralds 13.9k 145
10/1/2014 1:11 pm
ZonkedCompanion's Avatar ZonkedCompanion
To begin, the Redstone Engineering Division, or R.E.D. has been a pet project of mine for some time now, up until now, only existing on servers where I had the chance to establish it. I suppose the short description would be that R.E.D. is a small, mostly informal organization (for the moment) of like minded Redstone Engineers, looking for a bit of unity, comradery, and on occaision, assistance.

That being said, there's really a bit more to it than that, but really, that summed it up fairly well.

The first and foremost goal for R.E.D. beyond anything else, was to help expand the number of Redstone Engineers out in the community. To this end, in the past, I myself have taken on an occasional apprentice, training them in redstone engineering, before adding them to the Ranks. While I would encourage other engineers to consider taking on their own apprentices, I have recognized that there is in fact a fair sized demand for this sort of teaching, and as such, in my own server ,I have created an academy in the engineering and science oriented city of haearn, (it's a roleplay server, so this makes a bit more sense.) in order to teach players not only about the history and lore of the server, but also to teach any who wish to learn Redstone.

However, as time has gone by, R.E.D. has evolved into something more, into an organization of Redstone Engineers, like minded individuals, each of which enjoy redstone, and who want to help each other to improve their own redstone. To that end, R.E.D. DOES have some standard behavior expected of it's members when applicable, though these tend to be fairly minor acts that most people don't mind.

1. R.E.D. members are encouraged, though not required, to add goggles to their skin, with a single red pixel or block in the right side of the strap, the same shade as the redstone block, to act as a kind of proof of membership

2. R.E.D. members are encouraged, when applicable, to include two minor changes to their redstone engineering behavior.
Firstly, we encourage the placement of two signs, one above the other, on or next to the machinery, with the following information on it.

first Sign
Machine description/type/name (IE Digital Combo Lock, etc.)
Second sign
Last Maint.
[date of last inspection/maintinence]
Inspected by:
[username of last engineer to inspect it.]

The purpose behind these signs, put simply, is documentation, something that can prove to be very important. while I would also encourage a log be kept of glitches, breakages, and the like, as well as their fixes, in game, in a book, that tends to be a bit much to ask of players.

the other thing encouraged for this is that maintinence space be created for complex machinery to be accessed in survival mode, with the obvious safety features included, such as railing, ladders, etc, to facilitate safe inspection and access. this is not always applicable of course, but it is encouraged.

3. Finally, R.E.D. members are also encouraged to aid each other, sometimes even in game, with their respective work, and to maintain a certain level of professional pride and quality in their work, so as to keep the good name of Engineers.

That being said, I don't think I have much else to say except that at the moment, R.E.D. DOES have a base of sorts in my own server, in Haearn, the engineers focused city mentioned above.
Maveriknight
Level 18 : Journeyman Engineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/01/2014 10:13 am
Level 1 : New Network
MinecraftRED
We're still active! Come join us!
10/01/2014 1:11 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Pirate
ZonkedCompanion
...and I should also add - we now have 42 members.

So, quick recap, - if you love Redstone join us, The Redstone Engineering Division!
08/17/2014 12:05 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Cyborg
Pepijn
Stop nagging, it is what it is
08/17/2014 3:17 pm
ZonkedCompanion
What's your problem? I'm just curious. I thought Minecraft Hubs are where several servers are joined together to form a big server network.
08/16/2014 11:13 pm
Maveriknight
I'd like to argue that our move to hubs is not only unwarranted, since we exist not only as a group for redstone engineers, but also with the purpose of aiding other redstone engineers on the forums, which, given our move to hubs, is significantly less effective, but actually detrimental, for the afformentioned reason. Of course, this is purely my view, but I still think this.
08/17/2014 10:21 am
ZonkedCompanion
I agree. I'm confused as to why this belongs in Hubs?...

If this thread is not allowed in the Redstone section then surely it would be better suited to the Recruitment section if anything?
08/15/2014 3:34 pm
Level 23 : Expert Network
-Kali-
Moved to Hubs
08/05/2014 6:46 pm
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Programmer
EnderMiner77
Sorry then I can't help.
08/01/2014 12:43 pm
Maveriknight
erm... ok then... cant help but wonder what the person who posted in here last said that got the post removed and them banned or whatever happened. strange.
07/28/2014 10:07 pm
Maveriknight
Personally, i'll not endorse a cracked R.E.D. affiliated server at any point, either. While I have nothing against people who play cracked, I feel that it's a certain privilege for people who actually bought the game to be able to get onto servers, and will maintain R.E.D. only having an official presence on uncracked servers as such.
07/28/2014 11:15 am
EnderMiner77
help, I have cracked since I cannot afford premium, but I still wanna help.
07/28/2014 11:51 am
ZonkedCompanion
Sorry but I highly doubt we will ever host a cracked server. Firstly its near impossible to secure a cracked server, secondly if you love the game you should save up and buy it and support Mojang for making it like the rest of us.
07/27/2014 9:55 am
Maveriknight
changed it to reflect the current count.
07/27/2014 9:26 am
ZonkedCompanion
You should change the title of this thread, we now have 34 members
07/27/2014 12:11 am
Maveriknight
just click the banner. I know for a fact that the main R.E.D. account's banner will take you to our application page, not sure on the individual member banners.
07/26/2014 10:02 pm
EnderMiner77
Can I please join? I don't check the forums often, so please pm me. I sure hope Paril adds forum notifications.. **shiver**

Click the link in my sig to see my youtube channel - with lots of redstone stuff!
07/26/2014 9:52 pm
Maveriknight
I have to admit, im surprised with how successful R.E.D. is so far. it's extremely pleasing.
07/21/2014 5:34 am
MinecraftRED
We're officially taking Redstone Requests!
redstone-service-t419568.html
07/21/2014 2:23 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Engineer
atomick86
i think that if we wanted to let people know that we can help them with all their redstone needs, that we should create a new post in the shop sub-forum, that way anyone interested can easily look at us and message us or request for assistance.
07/21/2014 2:44 am
Pepijn
Already working on that :p
07/19/2014 2:46 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
WTFshady
Looks nice. Any way one of you can teach me redstone?
07/19/2014 2:52 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Ranger
ean521
I would be quite delighted.
07/19/2014 3:14 pm
Pepijn
For an official teacher, you have to apply: zonked.dsm-web.net/redapp.php
@ean
You are still an Apprentice, not a Teacher. Please don't reply to teacher requests.
07/19/2014 3:18 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
WTFshady
Thank you Pepjin.
07/19/2014 2:39 pm
Maveriknight
ya, but i was mainly talking about the people who DO post into the redstone subforum.
07/19/2014 10:10 am
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
Jmal116
That might be because most people on this website probably don't even know the redstone sub-forum exists, let alone check it often enough to know about us. If they want help, they just post it into what they're familiar with :/
07/19/2014 12:52 am
Maveriknight
sorta funny how, despite us being the most active Redstone group on PMC, no one ever comes here asking for help or for us to do any work for them. :p keep seeing people asking for redstone people to join their build teams or whatever, and no one ever comes here to ask for us to help em out with something except R.E.D. members.
07/09/2014 7:54 pm
Level 20 : Expert Engineer
TheRedSkorpion
I think I suggested it to an admin, but would it be possible to have a teamspeak channel? If I'm not mistaken, I think it's super easy to setup one, just write a description and you're done. I think it would be easier for communication purposes and that way we can leave other people messages and stuff like that.
07/13/2014 11:55 am
ZonkedCompanion
I have looked into this in the past. The problem is it costs money to host a teamspeak server. Free teamspeak hosts wouldn't be adequate for our needs due to all the restrictions and limitations.

Skype seems to be doing the job for now, and failing that there's the PM system.
07/10/2014 3:18 am
Pepijn
I don't think it's really needed. We have Skype for every day communication and on the website we can send PM's to eachother.
07/09/2014 10:23 am
Maveriknight
zonked, you actually hit the problem right on the head, and it's one that im all too familiar with. I actually wrote a blog post on here about that very issue, if you wanna go look at it.
07/08/2014 3:22 pm
Pepijn
ZonkedCompanionJust a side thought:
Today's modern Minecraft attitudes are "if its empty ill go else where", - people seem incapable of playing/building on their own. You end up in this cycle where nobody is willing to go on and play alone - so the player count stays at 0/99 - so nobody joins - so player count stays at 0 - so nobody joins... which is why so many servers die.

So true, so true. Btw zonked, would it be possible to create a general server signature (to use on the RED pmc profile) like the personal ones we have now)
07/08/2014 1:56 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Engineer
HawkpathAS
So I was online yesterday, and the two other engineers online were commenting on how the server is very empty most of the time. I was thinking about this, and I came up with the idea of having scheduled events to bring the group together. One thing that might be particularly cool is a group build event, where we work together to build something big! Heck, it could be anything, from a calculator to a minigame.
07/08/2014 3:03 pm
ZonkedCompanion
Yea its often quiet, but RED is still relatively new and many of us are mods/admins on other servers and have projects else where. (which is why I think its been so quiet)

I'm sure once there are more of us across all time zones, both teachers and apprentices, there will be more people on. I think Mav and Pep are already organising a "war" event, and I'm sure there will be many more to follow.

Just a side thought:
Today's modern Minecraft attitudes are "if its empty ill go else where", - people seem incapable of playing/building on their own. You end up in this cycle where nobody is willing to go on and play alone - so the player count stays at 0/99 - so nobody joins - so player count stays at 0 - so nobody joins... which is why so many servers die.
07/08/2014 1:38 pm
Maveriknight
our numbers continue to grow, it seems.
07/03/2014 9:58 am
Pepijn
More information:
The R.E.D Site!

The website is a work in progress though!
07/02/2014 5:49 pm
ZonkedCompanion
I have enabled the following commands to be used with command blocks in the RED world only:

- testfor
- setblock
- summon
- time
- weather
- tell

I may consider allowing other commands depending on what they are...
06/30/2014 6:31 pm
HawkpathAS
Sure thing. However, the website is getting an error when I try to open it.
Click to reveal
Fatal error: Call to undefined function session_is_registered() in /home/dsmwebne/public_html/_clients/_sites/_cms_v3/_intergration/_login_check.php on line 20
06/30/2014 7:19 pm
ZonkedCompanion
Yea sorry about that I literally just updated Apache, PHP, and MySQL, but its now working.
06/30/2014 6:13 pm
HawkpathAS
I love redstone and I'm not too bad with it, but I'm getting more and more into command blocks. Now, after reading everything you guys have been saying, the majority seems against command blocks. I would love to join and work with others on command block contraptions, but I know that the server you all are using is under the terms of no command blocks whatsoever, so is there or will there ever be a place for me to do that? I'm not talking about using silly setblock commands to make a 3x3 door with pistons or whatever, I'm talking about nifty contraptions, such as a teleportation bow or a controllable zombie army.
07/01/2014 4:34 am
Pepijn
I'm not against Command Blocks, they're actually my "expertise'. But our server also has normal players and isn't just for us, therefor Command Blocks are a bit too powerfull for us to use.
06/30/2014 6:26 pm
ZonkedCompanion
Command block usage is currently being negotiated for future use, but some commands may be restricted. Also we will obviously only allow members to use them once we trust them, so if you are thinking of joining then send us your app!
06/30/2014 12:36 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Ranger
ean521
I would love to join. Please PM me if you want to send me more information. I really love to use redstone and pretty much make everything up as I build it. I also use command blocks to either enhance my redstone or be enhanced by redstone. I do like helping people and may even take on an apprentice! I think the group is an amazing idea and hope to be able to join!
06/30/2014 4:28 pm
Pepijn
Apply here: zonked.dsm-web.net/redapp.php
06/30/2014 12:14 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Engineer
atomick86
Wow, this is coming along really quite well
06/30/2014 12:13 pm
Level 23 : Expert Mage
Lord Snow
I´d love to be with you guys too, though I don´t think I quite understood what you are doing. Are you a group of redstoners who test out each others concepts? Are you running around on servers helping people out? Or do people ask you if they need redstone help?
06/30/2014 4:35 pm
Pepijn
We're sort of a platform for redstoners, we teach redstone to beginners and just mess around with redstone together. We also try to make things more organized when it comes to making Redstone stuff, so others can understand what a machine does more easily.

We encourage every member to help others with redstone on servers, but it's not an 'official task' of a RED Engineer. If anyone contacts us and asks if we can make a redstone contraption, we will help out as much as we can, but we're not a "Building Group".

That's basicly what we're doing .
06/30/2014 11:57 am
kwaddell
Man, we are getting a lot of members
06/30/2014 10:00 am
ZonkedCompanion
Maveriknightminor tread title alteration to include a rough member count.

The actual member count is currently 21 by the way.
06/28/2014 12:13 pm
Maveriknight
minor tread title alteration to include a rough member count. also, personally, im no fan of craftbook, preferring to keep things unreliant on plugins, so that I know my designs work on all servers, but I have nothing against people who use it. now, on a modded server, I am all for using the mods on there in the redstone, but that's a slightly different situation.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome