UI & Rules Changes

Dr_Steve's Avatar Dr_Steve5/7/15 11:43 am
1 emeralds 4.3k 54
7/2/2015 8:44 am
Dr_Steve's Avatar Dr_Steve
I thought that the rules should be changed so they can be interpreted better because some members, including myself had some questions about the rules. It was very hard for me to understand them without some questions to some site (and forum) moderators.

EDIT: Some of the rules, especially the section 7 and section 4, should be changed so they can be easily be understood

UI

I think the UI should be changed a bit so it is a bit easier to use, because I've been seeing some questions for some seemingly simple things on the forums, and I am very good with site questions
Dr_Steve
Level 43 : Master Creeper

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/29/2015 8:44 am
Dr_Steve
In addition, there should be a "Plain HTML" mode for people who's Internet connection is not that fast enough to load everything.

In addition, I had ideas to remake the PMC chat lounge. I will upload a graphic of it a bit later.
07/01/2015 12:13 am
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
We spend a lot of time being sure that pages don't eat up a lot of bandwidth and we test it at different emulated network speeds. Disabling images will probably be OK but disabling JS will break nearly all of the site, it's just a necessity these days.
07/02/2015 8:44 am
Dr_Steve
Only certain parts would have JS disabled if you choose it, and there could be some settings on PMC-side that help fix your speed
06/30/2015 11:45 pm
Level 75 : Legendary Gent
Zitzabis
Just turn off loading images for your web browser. That'll make it easier. Otherwise, adjust your window so that it switches to the mobile layout. That'll also help.

Go for it if you want.
However, if I were you, I wouldn't waste my time. Chat is already being updated, changes are already being made. Many suggestions you might have are probably already included in the listings and plans. And even then, I'll be honest with you, they'll still go with what they want since the suggestion period is now over.
06/24/2015 11:24 am
Dr_Steve
Jack
Dr__SteveFor the UI changes, there could be lets, say, things to "lock your session"

So, on the account page, at the top, beside the logout button, there is a "Lock Session" button.

Or, that could let you view the site and forums, but reporting or commenting, etc. it does not work while "Locked"

If you did, it would say "Enter (email and) password to report, etc.", and lets say there are 'sub-accounts' of the master, so lets say the master acct. doesn't get banned for rule breaking.

There would never be Sub-Accounts since you may only have 1 account per user.

CLARIFICATION: This may be part of a safety initiative to prevent / help prevent inappropriate content, so sub-account(s) could be lets say, given to your younger brother and the owner of the master is the parent/older brother.

More clarification can be found here
06/23/2015 8:39 pm
Dr_Steve
Another thing about the GUI changes is to
1) Make your own UI's and
2) If 1 is implemented, there should be a forum/subforum to post them

Another thing(s) about the rules to change is adding some unlisted/not mentioned rules that are mentioned in other places, such as including without limitation:

* Clarification about infractions, like more detail
06/23/2015 8:45 pm
Level 75 : Legendary Gent
Zitzabis
Making our own UI's will cause issues when troubleshooting for people.

When you say clarification about infractions? Do you mean the rules? If so, they are fine.
If you mean about lengths, I agree that might be useful.
06/24/2015 11:39 am
Dr_Steve
That is what I mean, because in the section titled "Chatroom Guidelines" it says

http://www.planetminecraft.com/rules/#c ... guidelines

"After receiving three infraction points, a user will be automatically banned from chat for a period of time. Subsequent bans from infractions will be longer and eventually permanent. Chat moderators can immediately kick or ban a user from chat at their own discretion."

Also, the idea for sharing UI's may or may not be added. Also, i would doubt that will be added
06/19/2015 7:52 pm
Dr_Steve
buump
06/19/2015 8:06 pm
Level 60 : High Grandmaster Scapegoat
Gab_Cab
I'm pretty sure that we already shot all your ideas down. You want us to just rent a firing range?
06/21/2015 2:00 pm
Dr_Steve
No, I just want it bumped so people see it and can contribute to it.
06/10/2015 9:20 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Cyborg
Pepijn
Pinned items get reset for me as well when I log out and log back in again (which I have to do sometimes to access the forums), a fix would indeed be nice.
06/14/2015 5:05 pm
Dr_Steve
That must (or probably is) because you are [or are not] deleting your cache or cookies, and it resets them

[/hr]
Another contribution to this thread to the UI's is that there should be an option or tool so users can make their own custom PMC UI's. Also, if that is implemented, there should be a subforum intended to post your custom UI's

PS: I should say that I may have this run for until probably the 10th or 15th day of either the months July, or August, or, September, then this will be taken into consideration to be added

PPS: I recommend you check any previous contributions and Ideas before posting a new idea; your suggestion may already be mentioned. In that case, you may comment about it.
06/09/2015 11:50 am
Dr_Steve
SenpaiBlaze-snip

I do and don't think so, I will try tonight, then edit this to tell that it reset it
06/09/2015 11:26 am
Dr_Steve
Also, the UI could also be customized, either that the user makes his own UI, or, there are presets. Another thought is that it looks like the Minecraft GUI in-game
06/05/2015 10:01 am
Dr_Steve
Azie
Dr__SteveEDIT 2: When I mentioned "lock session", I also should have elaborated. That would mean, that, when you change settings, you enter your password to authenticate it, so your friend, cousin, etc. doesn't change anything bad

If this was a feature for staff accounts, like you suggested earlier in the thread, I don't think I'd ever use it. Not only do I live with no one who would mess with my account while I stepped away for a minute, but I could just log out to prevent anyone from messing with my account. I'd rather do that than have to enter my login information every time I wanted to edit my account or change my settings.

Having the "lock session" if it is implemented. should be an option, it doesn't have to exist for everyone, and it can be disabled in the settings, either the UCP (you can change signature there), or the other UCP (where you can change the about me)

EDIT: Users can disable it for themselves
06/04/2015 11:37 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Dr__SteveEDIT 2: When I mentioned "lock session", I also should have elaborated. That would mean, that, when you change settings, you enter your password to authenticate it, so your friend, cousin, etc. doesn't change anything bad

If this was a feature for staff accounts, like you suggested earlier in the thread, I don't think I'd ever use it. Not only do I live with no one who would mess with my account while I stepped away for a minute, but I could just log out to prevent anyone from messing with my account. I'd rather do that than have to enter my login information every time I wanted to edit my account or change my settings.
06/01/2015 11:39 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1820037
[deleted]
06/02/2015 11:16 am
Dr_Steve
Agreeed. In my opinion, there should be a choice of what UI the user wants to use. If that does happen, the choice is near the top, with the "Account", "Sign out" button, the notifications, and PM's. However, that should be in the settings page with the about me
06/01/2015 11:38 am
Level 49 : Master Sweetheart
Zatharel
Dr__Steve
Mercer444
Dr__SteveFor the UI changes, there could be lets, say, things to "lock your session"

So, on the account page, at the top, beside the logout button, there is a "Lock Session" button.

Or, that could let you view the site and forums, but reporting or commenting, etc. it does not work while "Locked"

If you did, it would say "Enter (email and) password to report, etc.", and lets say there are 'sub-accounts' of the master, so lets say the master acct. doesn't get banned for rule breaking.

What you're telling me in that bold text there is that an account have sub accounts, and if one of these sub accounts broke the rule then only that sub account would be banned.
That would atleast triple rule breaking. Think about it. If you break the rules, one SUB-ACCOUNT is being banned. The whole point of banning is that it's a punishment for breaking the rules. Sub accounts would entirely take away the bite, as you've just banned a meaningless account and you can continue rule breaking on the main one.
Locked? What you've described is being logged out. You're able to see everything, but you can't comment or report. The only things I see different are favourites and diamonds, but if you really like a post that much you can bookmark it. Diamond4diamond and sub4sub is against the rules, but in this Locked session you'd be able to do it with no consequences.

No

EDIT: The locking session would be for the moderators, so anyone doesn't go to their PC while AFK and mess up anything

EDIT 2: Locked sessions would prevent moderation tools from being used

(sorry for replying to this so late but I've been watching this thread for a bit and have not had enough time to reply)

I don't see a need for this at all. We can just simply either close the page or log out of the site if we don't want people messing with our stuff. Besides, there has never to my knowledge (and I really mean never) been a case where something has been messed up by someone using a mod account from a not logged out account session.
06/01/2015 11:24 am
Dr_Steve
Mercer444

What you're telling me in that bold text there is that an account have sub accounts, and if one of these sub accounts broke the rule then only that sub account would be banned.
That would atleast triple rule breaking. Think about it. If you break the rules, one SUB-ACCOUNT is being banned. The whole point of banning is that it's a punishment for breaking the rules. Sub accounts would entirely take away the bite, as you've just banned a meaningless account and you can continue rule breaking on the main one.
Locked? What you've described is being logged out. You're able to see everything, but you can't comment or report. The only things I see different are favourites and diamonds, but if you really like a post that much you can bookmark it. Diamond4diamond and sub4sub is against the rules, but in this Locked session you'd be able to do it with no consequences.

No

EDIT: The locking session would be for the moderators, so anyone doesn't go to their PC while AFK and mess up anything

EDIT 2: Locked sessions would prevent moderation tools from being used
05/29/2015 8:35 pm
Dr_Steve
For the UI changes, there could be lets, say, things to "lock your session"

06/02/2015 4:01 pm
Level 49 : Master uwu
Jack
There would never be Sub-Accounts since you may only have 1 account per user.

From what you have said I don't see any reason good enough to have this feature added, it is not necessary, if you are going to be away from your computer and you think people will use your account, just log out of it whilst you are away.
06/14/2015 5:07 pm
Dr_Steve
Ok, here is the real reason it should be added. So you may be at a public access PC and someone may take over your session while you are away temporarily, OR, you may have forgotten to logout by mistake
06/04/2015 11:33 am
Dr_Steve
EDIT: I should have elaborated. When I said "sub-accounts", I should have meant that lets say, you had some friends/etc., that would be what it is for.

EDIT 2: When I mentioned "lock session", I also should have elaborated. That would mean, that, when you change settings, you enter your password to authenticate it, so your friend, cousin, etc. doesn't change anything bad
05/26/2015 12:00 pm
Level 29 : Expert Birb
Auradyme
I've only skimmed the rules, they're quite easy to understand imo.
05/25/2015 2:34 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
I haven't been banned once and I barely skimmed the rules. They are pretty much the same thing as what you ought to do anyways.

By the way, if someone is 8 and uses that as an excuse not to read rules, that 8 year olds shouldn't be on the internet.
05/26/2015 11:48 am
Dr_Steve
But what would you think would happen if the child broke a site rule? WOuld you think he would be grounded or what in real life?

PS You should see a future submission from me if PMC was real life
05/25/2015 2:22 pm
Level 42 : Master Nether Knight
10Andrew
Personally, I think it would be really helpful if they had a second section that just had a bunch of rules bullet listed. Then if someone had any concerns about a particular rule they could look at the long explanation. As most of the people who play minecraft are going to be quite young, they need to target that audience.

On the other hand, we do need detailed rules to account for all situations. I've been temp banned in the past for telling someone that their topic had already been discussed and that they should look at that one for answers (then provided a link to the topic) only to get banned for minimodding. At the time I had no idea that was considered minimodding so they do need to be able to give more details.
05/15/2015 11:51 am
Azie
Dr__Steve
Me too, there also should be a "TLDR" section underneath every major section of the rules (example: Section 1 - 7 , and no subsections)

Or even below the subsection, it says EDIT and some text to simplify it

This was essentially our rules before the rewrite. The problem with them is that people complained that they didn't cover everything since a shorter post inherently covers less. That's why the rules are the length they are now. Adding a tl;dr only creates the problem where that's all people read and don't get the full version of the rules.

If you can find a specific area that needs clarification because the rule is worded strangely or something, we can fix that. "The rules are too long" or "make them less wordy" isn't really helpful.

Dr__Steve
At 1st, I wasn't really active on the site until like January.
And I even thought about the site being friendly.

Sometimes in life we need to get through something not so pleasant (reading the rules) to enjoy a more pleasant aspect of something (making full use of the site).
05/15/2015 10:51 am
This reply was removed by the poster or a moderator.
05/17/2015 12:04 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
RealSilk
Is an 8 year old going to read a 10 thousand word rule board?
05/19/2015 8:14 pm
Level 40 : Master Architect
nammerbom
Age is not an excuse for not reading the rules, they apply to everyone. If someone doesnt read the rules and they get banned/warned etc. about a topic they didn't read, it is entirely their fault no matter who they are or how old they are.
05/25/2015 11:49 am
Dr_Steve
Also, if someone says the rule is this and is different from the actual ruels and you say that to a moderator that will NOT save you a ban from the site or forums or chat
05/17/2015 12:27 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Blacksmith
Henry_Jekyll
Yes.

Rules are rules, and it's not excuse not to read it if you're 8, or any other age, for that matter.
05/15/2015 11:33 am
Dr_Steve
At 1st, I wasn't really active on the site until like January.
And I even thought about the site being friendly.
05/15/2015 10:40 am
Dr_Steve
WetsCwaft
Furry
Freedom of speech only applies on 4chan.

No, it doesn't. Too many SJWs.

The rules are fine, the server submission rules just need to be enforced more.

Yeah, I almost thought I can only have ONE server per acct. until Azie told me that I could actually have as many servers as I can so long as they are independent of each other, they also can't be connected w/ BungeeCord.
05/11/2015 1:46 pm
Level 27 : Expert Miner
anonpmc52215
[deleted]
05/11/2015 12:44 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
WetsCwaft
Furry
Freedom of speech only applies on 4chan.

No, it doesn't. Too many SJWs.

The rules are fine, the server submission rules just need to be enforced more.
05/11/2015 12:10 pm
Level 27 : Expert Miner
anonpmc52215
[deleted]
06/23/2015 9:50 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
forgot about you
Not true. Rules > Rights about 300% of the time.
06/23/2015 10:20 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Turtle
Palaeos
To some extent, kind of. Rights are more of an issue of location and PMC being a website we are not required to uphold a bill of rights any one nation may have. That said we do not actively try to impede on them for laughs or anything. If you think a rule is too strict it is probably due to it at one time being more lax than it is now and having been abused to the point that we had no choice but to make the rule more strict to be more fair overall. That said I understand that us not being uniform in enforcement of the rules due to some being rules designed to be and only able to really be enforced in the way a mod seems fit causing some rules to at times be more heavily enforced or more strictly than others may deal with at times. I do want to make the rules more clear and would appreciate any feedback users have in my inbox. That said I will obviously ignore messages that consist of "a mod removed my thing, therefore the rule is bad" as far as feedback on the matter is concerned.
05/11/2015 12:03 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
RealSilk
I think the rules are too long
05/15/2015 10:38 am
Dr_Steve
Me too, there also should be a "TLDR" section underneath every major section of the rules (example: Section 1 - 7 , and no subsections)

Or even below the subsection, it says EDIT and some text to simplify it

EDIT: That was close to when i first joined the site
05/11/2015 11:50 am
Dr_Steve
funny bunny
Dr__Steve
AzieBe more specific? What areas of the UI are you saying are hard to use? What rules are you having problems understanding and why are they confusing to you?

None of the UI is hard now a days for me, but it can help other new users

How exactly? Do you mean adding some sort of guide?

To help users that are new to the site, yeah it should be added
05/08/2015 11:40 am
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
funny bunny
Dr__Steve
AzieBe more specific? What areas of the UI are you saying are hard to use? What rules are you having problems understanding and why are they confusing to you?

How exactly? Do you mean adding some sort of guide?
05/08/2015 11:33 am
Dr_Steve

05/07/2015 1:09 pm
Level 24 : Expert Architect
illdeletethis
the one thing i"d want changedwith the ui is it remembering your navbar settings for your profile

everytime i log in i have to unpin skins and textures and pin the forum again
05/07/2015 1:43 pm
Azie
Mine don't do that... Are you logging in on a new device or a device you use PMC on often?
05/07/2015 3:20 pm
Level 24 : Expert Architect
illdeletethis
the same laptop every time
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome