Starting a Minecraft Hosting company

WolfishOfficial's Avatar WolfishOfficial7/25/16 9:02 pm
9/4/2016 11:16 am
IncentDesigns's Avatar IncentDesigns
My family, and I are planning to start a Minecraft hosting company. What kind of servers should we get? Any suggestions for website related stuff? What else will we need? Thank you.
WolfishOfficial
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/04/2016 11:16 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
IncentDesigns
Hey, I am able to make a custom website for your host! Please skype: IncentDesigns

I have a lot of experience in the hosting industry!
07/26/2016 9:23 am
Level 25 : Expert Button Pusher
Azrath
I still fail to understand how some people cant see and know the difference between "server" and "hosting" and are suggesting server things.
07/26/2016 9:26 am
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
*shrug*
07/26/2016 9:02 am
sundae22yo
I have an idea http://gamecore.krato.us/ for more information.
07/26/2016 8:22 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
IncentDesigns
Hey,

If you want a professional website, please get in touch with me.

Also, I have a lot of experience in mc, web and dedicated server hosting.

07/26/2016 8:14 am
Level 45 : Master Crafter
SensorialGlint6
Zerkky_-Trial: You should have a trial server host. Maybe few hours or even 1 day.

No one should never give out "trial" servers. What you should have are "test" servers for each location you have, so people can test connection speeds etc.
07/26/2016 3:43 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Architect
Zerkky_
-Trial: You should have a trial server host. Maybe few hours or even 1 day.

-Cheap: Try to make your host cheap. That will get you more customers.

-Website: Now.... for the webpage you need to hire a professional website designer to design you a webpage. I know some pretty good designers. Be sure to leave me a private message if you want me to get you in contact with them.

-Live support: You should hire someone to be your "live support" guy. He basically just needs to have knowledge about the host and he also has to be active quite a lot. His job is to answer to your customers questions.

-Packages: Try to come up with some unique pack names. With this, customers can see that you're creative and willing to try out something diferent then the other hosts.

-Domain: Try to get yourself either a .com, .org or a .net domain. Domains are very cheap. I highly suggest you to buy one. The domain makes everything look more professional.

-Art: You should also try to get some art for your hosting company. First of all, you need a logo. After that, you might want someone to make you the icons for your company.
07/25/2016 10:51 pm
SensorialGlint6
As someone, that has been running gaming servers. I would like to firstly say why? Why, bother? There are At least 10 that will offer what you are trying to have.

Also seeing that not many here know what their talking about, I might give you and actual answer.

1: Do not keep overselling servers. Although you might be tempted to keep selling more thank you have, its a great way to lose customers and reputation. When you feel that you can run easy without braking bank, stop reselling. Also don't resell to much. There is nothing more annoying as a game server owner, than not being able to start up server due to "out of memory" errors, because of you.

2: Always include DDoS protection plan. Although, you might want to have a cheaper basic plan for smaller servers, you should be aiming for the big "whales". People that buy 2 or more 4gb+ servers and don't want to move for a while. That's your money makers.

3: Have enough customer service staff to provide 24/7 server support. The faster you can respond to tickets, the more likely people will flock to you or advertise you.

4: NEVER, NEVER lie about 24/7 server support. If your support takes 2 or more days to answer a ticket, then DON'T call it 24/7 support.

5: Try to offer perks such as: On house (your side) backup, up time guarantee, Custom plugin install help. IT might be time worthy, but will give reason to purchase higher plans and stay longer.

6: Free FTP access. Don't even attempt to charge it. This should be on with every package by default.

7: Offer custom domain set up service. Many people might be not tech savvy, so claiming and setting up custom domain for the server is great for customers and great way to earn a bit more.

8: Be nice and friendly. No amount of advertisement can buy you peoples opinion. Be active, especially around questions and criticism.

9: Good name and custom made site/logo. The way your site and logo looks, will have great impact on your customers count. If logo is not great, and site hard to navigate you will loose peoples interest and they will get a server someplace else.

10. Offer unlisted free 1gb servers to set up bungee-cord. Yes. You might not earn that $2 per month. But giving it for free and if you help set it up, might get you a customer that could buy 2 or more bigger servers to link with the "hub". A small loss for bigger gain, for you and the customer.

11. Try and provide preinstaled of latest versions of jars for bukkit,spingot etc. Its greatly helpful when customer doesn't have to compile one himself, and will that way, customer will always know that the build is tested and should work perfectly.

12. Use multicraft. For many kids that aren't familiar with other game servers, using tcadmin will be complicated. So having multicraft control will be greatly beneficial.

Those are all pointers that I could think of. But if you like more input from someone that spend great amount of time with server hosting, let me know on skype: dawidguzik. Would love to give more input if needed.
07/26/2016 4:55 am
Level 1 : New Taco
Darklord__GabeN
I didn't think i would come across someone who actually knows what he's talking about on PMC, that kind of brings a tear to my eye :'D
07/26/2016 8:15 am
SensorialGlint6
Sadly, I find that not many on pmc want to listen to such person.
07/25/2016 10:37 pm
Nathan16867
Can I be your Idea guy, ArenaSnow?
07/25/2016 10:37 pm
Nathan16867
Oh Sorry.

One idea I have is to add a completely external system of Redstone or wiring that only you the mods and the staff can reach.
07/25/2016 10:36 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
Konrad
- 1 Day trail
- Unique package names
- Good support
- Servers with good uptime
- DDOS protection
- Custom Url? (EX. Mcserver.hostingprovider.net)
- FTP support
- Mysql support
- Ability to use your own URL
- Plugin installer
- Map installer
- Ability to choose to update your server version to a newer version
07/25/2016 10:32 pm
raidarr
Nathan, I read hosting company, not just a single server.

(And on an entirely personal note - you're suggesting a server identical to literally thousands of servers out there. Got any suggestions that are a little... different?)
07/25/2016 10:30 pm
Nathan16867
-I also suggest adding a redstone trading system into your Factions PVP server.
07/25/2016 10:30 pm
Nathan16867
-I also suggest adding the AdminTools plugin for your servers.
-Another thing I suggest is that you and the other admins/moderators/staff make sure that nobody is cheating/hacking.
07/25/2016 10:21 pm
Nathan16867
-I also suggest adding the KitAdder Plugin for the Factions PVP.
07/25/2016 10:14 pm
Nathan16867
-I suggest adding Factions PVP and Skyblock to your server.
-I suggest being able to rank up from like helper to member to moderator to admin.
-I suggest creating a Custom Skin for every rank.
-I suggest creating some statues in the lobby of your server of the people who created and built the server also keep on adding statues as more people join your members of your server.
-I suggest adding a couple Plugins like no griefing,anti-greifing, Worldguard, and also the Hub Plugins.
-I suggest adding a shop where people can buy things for Skyblock and the Factions PVP server as well as the Minigames.
-I suggest adding a chest system for the minigames where as you play more minigames you earn chests that have common, uncommon, rare, Ultra rare, epic, and awesome.
-I suggest adding a chat system where you can put emoji's down to show your feelings.
-I suggest adding in more maps and minigames as time goes on.

That's all I'm going to suggest for right now. I can be an idea's person because I don't have Minecraft for the PC. If you want me to be a Idea's person contact me through Planetminecraft.com, Xbox 360 if you have one, my gamertag is littlestmaumon, and you can also email me through my gmail which is nathan16861@gmail.com. Thanks! I hope this helps!
07/25/2016 9:57 pm
raidarr
-Offer things. Hosting guides, staffing guides, permissions list, even premade configs. The more you offer, the better an option you are.
-Allow editing the files, please. Nothing's more icky than a host that won't let ya manage your configs.
-Aim to make your stuff as reliable as possible. Even if it isn't much, you're a step up if you do things right.
-As previously commented, offer support and keep up with your support. Nothing screams crappy company more than support that doesn't give a damn about its customers.
-Consider posting links to updated common plugins for owners who may have the ideas and the drive but not the experience to quite make a server.
-I wouldn't start at big servers as of yet, possibly aim for something in the middle. Definitely don't just offer junk, you might as well make hosting free.
-Ya want a good name, logo and responsive site to carry your image. Don't be too flashy, but try not to be boring, a struggle many sites and companies must endure.
-Avoid betas/releasing stuff when it's not done or even releasing stuff as it gets done while advertising the whole time. Release and advertise when you've got everything set up or you'll make a mess.

Feel free to PM me if ya want any more input. I'm not a server hoster myself, but I could say a few things around the subject if you have questions about the servers and their management and possibly on the matter of sites.
07/25/2016 9:07 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Modder
jtrent238
Can i have a server?
07/25/2016 9:07 pm
PureMC Reborn
I would say you might want like a 1 day trial for your hosting, modpack selection, 1-16 gb maybe. Actual support, unique package names. I might think of more
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome