A Post Regarding a Server

WillyWonka125's Avatar WillyWonka12511/20/14 5:24 pm
1 emeralds 868 9
11/20/2014 10:53 pm
Antlo's Avatar Antlo
-snip-

So, I've been planning this for about 2 months now, and I'm at the stage where I'm looking for feedback. My friends have unanimously reacted positively to this, but that should be expected from friends

Anyway, here's my pitch: A server run 98% by the players. Very minimal staff (Really only 4 needed, no matter how large the server), a dynamic economy (based on supply and demand), and a structure dictated by players. First, I'll talk about Communities.

The way I initially planned on having the structure work is by having a system rather like factions, but more permanent and based more on teamwork and cooperation. I realized this would be ineffective, as players could frivolously switch factions and waste faction resources. The usual. So I came up with Communities. Basically, when you join, you're labeled as Unaligned, and have a maximum of 7 days (dates are very tentative, as a note) to look around at the various Communities and choose which one you want to join. At any time during this period, you may join one of them. Once you're in, the only way to get it is by going through a 30-day (again, tentative) banishment. So no server for 30 days

A staff member will be assigned to each Community, but his/her only real role will be to make sure no rule breaking is going on. A benefit to this is not having a single staff group for the whole server, allowing for a more personal system. When the Community is young, a group of 5 (the first 5 to join) will be the Council, and will be the primary governing body until ~15 members are active. Then, an election will take place to decide who the Leader is. S/he will be the sole leader of the community. Lower ranks, such as Officers and Police, will likely be implemented. The General is in charge of the Community's military forced, and they too will be elected. Finally, the Treasure is in charge of internal affairs (whatever that means).

Custom ranks within each Community will possible, as permissions will be directly editable by the Leader and the system will allow for things such as custom prefixes. Each Community will be required to have a Center, which will contain the Community Shop, the Trade-post, and the Consulate (one Consulate per community, so 3 in each Center). The main spawn will have teleports to each Center.

The technical part of this is probably the most daunting part. I've been waiting for the release of Sponge, as I don't want to have to port an existing plugin over from Bukkit. I planned on having a "mega-plugin" for this, and would do more than just control Communities. It would take care of most of the needed parts of the server too. Now, don't tell me to split this up into different plugins. That would take more memory than just having one, and a single plugin would be easier to maintain and develop. I'm fluent in Java, but not an expert. Which is fine, since Sponge is basically a copy of Bukkit, and we all know how extensive that API was and how easy it was to make things with it.

So, there it is.
WillyWonka125
Level 33 : Artisan Toast

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/20/2014 10:53 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Network
Antlo
Yeah, they need to gradually learn more.

It's a great idea!
11/20/2014 10:41 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Toast
WillyWonka125
Wow, thanks for that guys. Honestly, I hadn't thought of the problems with having a large server.

As for simplicity, I could structure it sort of like games like Cybernations (or any rather large game, for that matter). You start off with very little responsibilities that require little knowledge of how things run, and over time you learn more and more.

I don't think everyone would have to know everything for this to run smoothly. Maybe the leaders of each Community will need to have extensive knowledge, but they can act as mentors of sorts. They could also guide the inexperienced until they learn.

As for Sponge, it's basically the replacement of Bukkit. I've been following it's development, and I like how it looks. So yes, I would say that it's a viable replacement for Bukkit.
11/20/2014 7:30 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
ASF
nammerbomHeres the thing,

Theoretically and on paper, this is a great idea. But when you put it in the actual mc setting it will be very hard to run unless you are absolutely sure everyone on the server knows every little nook and cranny about how things are done. Otherwise it will just be chaos.

Other than that, I really like the idea. If you get some serious and mature players on, this could be great.

I guess that's the beauty of it.
If you're community leaders suck, everything is going to suck for you.
It'd be up to them to fix it.
11/20/2014 7:27 pm
Level 40 : Master Architect
nammerbom
Heres the thing,

Theoretically and on paper, this is a great idea. But when you put it in the actual mc setting it will be very hard to run unless you are absolutely sure everyone on the server knows every little nook and cranny about how things are done. Otherwise it will just be chaos.

Other than that, I really like the idea. If you get some serious and mature players on, this could be great.
11/20/2014 7:35 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Network
Antlo
This.

The thing is, if players join, and there's so much to do, so much to learn, they'll get overwhelmed, and go to a different server. You want to make it as easy and user friendly as possible in the start, then start progressing the players into more complicated situations, so it's not too overwhelming.

- Although, as said above, serious and mature players would probably be able to handle it better, rather than just random people looking for some sort of staff ranking.
11/20/2014 6:26 pm
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Chron
If you can make this clean and efficient with plugins, I'd absolutely love it. I'd be willing to help as well, if I had time... But I agree with everyone else. Keep it small. A whitelist would be a great thing.
11/20/2014 6:17 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Hunter
Ciberg
I hope you aren't planning to make this big, that'd ruin it. But it sounds awesome. Thirty day ban could change, though.
11/20/2014 6:24 pm
Level 22 : Expert Explorer
SyntaxError73
^ this.

I agree with the whole making it big part. Because as I stated before, history has shown that large communities tend to go corrupt faster, and in order to compensate, they make a bigger government.

This is how it's playing out in the USA. My father keeps telling me that government is getting too strong here.. and I believe it. heck.. sometimes my bus driver says we should secede!
11/20/2014 6:11 pm
Level 22 : Expert Explorer
SyntaxError73
Hmm. That sounds like a cool idea! it sounded like early America when you said it was run by 98% of the player population, since the colonies were so small, they could run themselves.

But back to the point. If you want your server to be very small, that is an excellent idea. However, if you know history, a large population equals more chaos.

I have never heard of Sponge Either. Is it a promising alternative to bukkit for you?

Good luck with your server idea.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome