What's more worth it, Skylake or Haswell?

tobbestark's Avatar tobbestark8/22/16 11:57 am
1 emeralds 368 5
8/23/2016 10:20 am
tobbestark's Avatar tobbestark
I'm thinking about building a new computer as my old one broke. But one thing struck my mind, should I buy a Skylake or Haswell processor? I think it's a really big decision to make as they have different sockets. Because which motherboards I should looks at is dependant on which processor I go with. So what architecture do you think is better and more reliable? Personally I think it's Haswell, I'm thinking about getting the Core i5 4690K
tobbestark
Level 44 : Master Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/22/2016 6:13 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Musician
Punkamoar
If you can get a Haswell for significantly cheaper than a Skylake, it's probably worth it. Although, I did hear that DDR4 RAM doesn't work with Haswell, only Skylake. I could be wrong, please tell me if I am.
08/23/2016 10:20 am
tobbestark
You're absolutely right, DDR4 does not support the older Haswell architecture. However I feel like Skylake itself is not much faster than a Haswell CPU with the same clockspeed and cores, but that a combo with the new DDR4 platform and a Skylake processor that makes a faster performance. I might be wrong on that one, tho
08/22/2016 4:39 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Nerd
BananaInCharge
Skylake is stable, there is no sense in constantly waiting for the next big thing
08/22/2016 12:05 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Nerd
BananaInCharge
Skylake is newer and the price is pretty much the same as Haswell. There's no real sense in buying a Haswell i5 now unless you already have a Haswell system you're upgrading.
08/22/2016 3:22 pm
tobbestark
That's kinda what I'm into as well. But this new architechture is new and all, shouldn't you wait for a further generation to make sure it's a stable platform?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome