What shading I need to work on?

cbeeston1's Avatar cbeeston17/10/14 5:36 pm
1 emeralds 227 2
7/16/2014 4:56 am
sidtom's Avatar sidtom
In the past five months I have changed the way I shade my skins. I think I am really getting good at it.

All I want to know is what shading I need to work on with the second skin. It took me about 45 minutes to make. If you want to view any other of my recent projects, just check out my profile. I think I got the Arms and Legs covered. But I am not sure if my Chest and Head are shaded decently.

Please leave feedback as well if I am doing something wrong.
cbeeston1
Level 36 : Artisan Spleefer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/16/2014 4:56 am
Level 26 : Expert Cowboy
sidtom
For the shirt I would suggest making the darker colors on the out side of the skin and keep getting lighter once you get to the center instead of going lightest to darkest. For the pants I would suggest something like this http://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/how-to-shade-pants/ I use a somewhat modified version of that. And maybe make the face shading look a little less dark and put the darker colors on the outside and keep getting lighter just like the shirt. If you want a good shading tutorial (yeah I know that's not what you were looking for.) I would suggest looking at this http://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/the ... skinning-/ And also learn a bit of hue shifting (It's in the blog how to do it.) Hope this helped you!
07/16/2014 4:16 am
Level 29 : Expert Pixel Painter
Xenomorph104
I myself have only been skinning for about 5 months now, and I too have changed my shading style recently. The only criticism I would give is to tell you not to follow anyone else's style directly, just sort of make your own. I think your shading is pretty awesome at this point, I would just make it more linear instead of using alternating patterns to break up the bland way textures end up looking with similar colors nearby. I notice a lot of people tend to try to just use as many darker/lighter shades as they can around a particular pattern. More isn't always better is my point. Try going in a different direction with the patterns so they don't make the skin look like it has lines along it, and I think you'll notice it too. Things like the shades, that looks perfect to me. I guess it depends really on what it is your trying to shade. You could also try adding some more features on the face, just to give it some more character. But that's just my opinion, do whatever you feel suits your style. I hope that was at least somewhat helpful, and may we both continue to sharpen those skills! Who knows, there could be some promotion to come from this...
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome