Your Take on a Mac for Minecraft?

baucat9's Avatar baucat94/20/15 4:54 pm
4/21/2015 11:32 pm
raidarr's Avatar raidarr
Hello everyone. I have been playing Minecraft for 3 years now on my Mac. I have had no problems what so ever, and in fact played on a couple of my friends' Windows and iced my Mac better. Now what makes a Mac so bad for Minecraft and gaming!?!?!
baucat9
Level 22 : Expert Lumberjack

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/21/2015 11:32 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
Mac I honestly find to be an overpriced variant of something I can get for cheaper, only without as much support for things.

I would take a good Linux distro any day.
04/21/2015 3:33 pm
Level 23 : Expert Geek
trollmad3
I really hate gameing on a mac beacuse...Steam. When you are on a mac and your trying to game on steam Only like 15-20 games you can run on a mac I really HATE mac. i LOVE windows beacuse you can run all the steam games on it.
04/21/2015 3:12 pm
Level 21 : Expert Ninja
zoecGxhbmV0bWluZWNyYWZ0
SunFlowerBloomIm not going to defend Micronope here.. Ahem, I mean Micropoop.. I MEANT MICRO-whatever. I personally LOVE Macs. There you go. I have been playing minecraft on a mac since like.. forever. The mac runs smooth, and the display is great! Also, It even looks cool. My opinion on Micronope, is that they were a great software company, until like they started making dumb computers.

Which is why you build it yourself, so you get the best bang for your buck, and the best OS for games.
04/21/2015 3:09 pm
Level 25 : Expert Network
SunFlowerBloom
Im not going to defend Microcrap here.. Ahem, I mean Micropoop.. I MEANT MICRO-whatever. I personally LOVE Macs. There you go. I have been playing minecraft on a mac since like.. forever. The mac runs smooth, and the display is great! Also, It even looks cool. My opinion on Microcrap, is that they were a great software company, until like they started making dumb computers.
04/21/2015 12:27 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Crafter
IndigoHorizon
I have a Macbook pro 15 in. w/ Retina Display (2014 edition) but I've used Window's based computers since the good-old-days of Windows 95. I've also owned Toshiba, Dell, HP, Asus, Gateway and Sony computers.

I think the biggest lesson I've learned throughout the years is that each type (Mac vs. Windows) is that both have good and bad points PLUS both are optimized for different things. Macs, I feel, are optimized for productivity (the exact reason I bought one...yay online grad school) and Windows for accessibility. At least in my opinion.

As for gaming, you have more options to beef up your experience with a windows computer. You can buy an 'ok' HP computer for a reasonable price or get custom made gaming PC with the best graphics card, hard drive, etc and pay $2000+; play GTA V on both and one will look/play like garbage compared to the other. With Macs, while you have some options, are very limited hardware wise. What you see is what you get.

You just don't buy a mac for gaming purposes, you buy it for other reasons. But that being said, which mac do you have and what are the specs? Mine is less than a year old and I've had no issues what-so-ever with Minecraft. Graphics are great and so is my frame rate. I have no lag expect for the usual when the world downloads (just like on my PS4 version). So the age and specs could be a huge factor for the performance of Minecraft.
04/20/2015 6:34 pm
Level 41 : Master Modder
David5886
Well, you don't have many Hardware options with getting Apple Hardware. Most gamers go with getting a PC that runs Windows is: More options: such as Gaming and Hardware, and software. Macs can run games like Minecraft fine, if that's all your doing then great, but for a lot of gamer they are going to be playing games such as GTA V, Crysis 3 and other games, and these game, will most likely not play at high settings at a high resolution. A lot of computers (That cost $400-600) will play games like Minecraft really well. (My Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Series $300 dollar laptop will play Minecraft at around 60-75 FPS at low to medium settings and dip to 30 or lower when getting higher)

Your friend's computer was probably old, or either cheap and low spec. A lot of people will compare a crappy, cheap Windows computer with a higher end Mac and get Mac to seam like the better option, I would ask your friend for his computer specs. Overall, most people will build a PC if they are going to be gaming, more options, and better gaming support with Windows. For now and for the next several years, Windows is going to dominate, and when an OS dominates, that means a lot of people like it and it is usually a better option.
A lot of Macs will run low to medium end mobile GPUs, it may seem awesome, until you find out that you wont be playing GTA V at high settings at 1080P anytime soon.
04/20/2015 6:02 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
forgot about you
Minecraft will run fine on any computer with at least a 2012 i3 (laptops)

Pro tip: macs aren't meant for gaming
04/20/2015 6:12 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
RealSilk
False

I had a Vaio sony pro 2014 and it ran mc with fast graphics at like 5 fps

Also, my dell precision m3800 (what I currently use) runs it at 10-20 fps.
04/20/2015 6:12 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
RealSilk
Both are i7
04/20/2015 6:52 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
forgot about you
Hard to believe. My 2011 laptop with 2gb ram, 256gb 5400rpm hdd, low end pentium, at 720p can run Minecraft at 30 FPS lowest settings.
04/20/2015 5:22 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Mage
ZachDevv
Its probably mainly the fact you don't get the hardware for what you buy; and a lot of games aren't mac compatible. They aren't really bad.. but they definitely aren't the best for gaming. Better for video makers or photoshop users, etc. (Work or school type of computer)
04/20/2015 5:20 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
sxphdxg
I am running on Mac as well, previously on a HP pavilion and I can tell you Mac is way better than the hp. Although my Mac is custom buil (12gb of ram instead of 4) , my friend is playing on a regular Mac and hers works fine.
04/20/2015 5:22 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Mage
ZachDevv
Don't judge a windows pc just by one type of windows computer
04/20/2015 5:12 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
I can't say why it's bad for Minecraft mainly because I know a lot of people who use Macs who play Minecraft without any issue. My problem with Macs and gaming is that Steam offers more games with Windows versions than games with Mac versions. There are lots of really great indie titles that I wouldn't be playing if I had a Mac.
04/20/2015 5:05 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Hunter
Neptune_Sage
Everything.

Try running GTA V and see what wrong when it comes to gaming on MAC.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome