Trying to setup...something.

Taledus's Avatar Taledus3/2/15 8:48 am
1 emeralds 170 5
3/3/2015 10:30 am
Rawwk's Avatar Rawwk
I'm coming back to MC after about a year and a half. Last time I was running a small Bukkit server (v1.7.2) from a separate computer in my house.

Last night I looked into getting an account setup through McProHosting. I was going to get everything setup first then just transfer all the files over. However, when I went to go download the latest Bukkit all the links are not working, and there were several posts on their forums regarding Bukkit no longer being up and running due to DCMA stuffs.

I'm not some professional server owner trying to make money - I just want to setup a small server for me and my son to play on...and maybe a few other people. From what I remember the vanilla MC server doesn't support mods or permissions, and those are really what I am after.

In short, is running modded servers still possible and legal? What is the easiest way to get something simple setup for just a few people to play on, while being able to limit what they can do (like not TNT the whole world)?
Taledus
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Taledus
03/03/2015 9:56 am
Either one, just something I can have some control over what is going on. I'm not planning on managing a bunch of people with it.

I'll see if I can get it setup with Spigot. I have ever used it, but if it is like Bukkit then it should not be to difficult. Thanks for the suggestion!
Rawwk
03/03/2015 10:30 am
Level 39 : Artisan Engineer
Spigot is the same as Bukkit with it being more clean to make the server run a bit faster or whatever. I think it used the same code as Bukkit but with the Bukkit shutdown, I really don't know what's going on now.

Good luck.
Taledus
03/03/2015 7:54 am
Thanks Rawwk! Installing the mods wasn't too difficult from what I remember, nor was setting up all the permissions. Since Bukkit is no longer being supported do you have any idea of a server option that has similar mods for permissions and stuff?
Rawwk
03/03/2015 9:52 am
Do you mean mods or plugins?

http://www.spigotmc.org/ is now the new "Bukkit"
Rawwk
03/02/2015 10:49 pm
Running modded servers is still possible and legal. We just launched a Pixelmon Server a few days ago.

Sorry, I don't know how to install mods to a server since I wasn't the one that did it.
But I think it's something along the lines of (if you have a hoster like MCProHosting) it should allow you to have a custom modded .jar and have it in the ftp files then change the server .jar to that custom modded .jar you put in.

I googled and found a video that could help, but I did not watch it.
[yt]13OKxZ1US_I[/yt]
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome