G-Build [MINECRAFT CLONE | OPEN SOURCE]

meymazda's Avatar meymazda11/2/12 6:16 pm
1 emeralds 22.3k 1.5k
8/12/2013 6:30 am
meymazda's Avatar meymazda
g-Build was a minecraft clone made by S3 STUDIOS in November 2012. It was discontinued in April 2013 due to compatibility errors that seemed to be unresolvable.

Now that we have fixed the problem, we will be releasing a new, refined version of g-Build that is completely recoded. As of 7/18/2013, alot of changes have not been established, but what I can say is that the entire S3 STUDIOS team will be working on it, and we won't release it until it is atleast as advanced as g-Build 0.5. This newer, refined g-Build will be called g-Build 2, and it should be released within the next month or so. I cannot provide too many details, as it is in an early stage of development, and I don't want to disappoint you with instable facts. This thread will be updated in the near future as more details are established.

KNOWN DETAILS:
Will be called g-Build 2
Will be made in GML
Will be worked on by the entire S3 STUDIOS team
Will be released sometime in the next two months
Window size has been increased to 960x600 instead of 768x480
FOV is now configurable
Resources (textures, etc) are now more easy to configure
Game is now standalone (it extracts the needed files itself if nonexistant)

When it is released, a new thread will be started, so check this thread often until that point in time.

Thankyou for your support.
meymazda
Level 17 : Journeyman Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/11/2013 6:58 pm
Level 44 : Master Gent
Hydrian
That isnt Necro posting.
08/11/2013 1:05 am
Level 24 : Expert Network
NOTAVALIABLE
some1 lock tis

necro-posting
08/12/2013 6:30 am
meymazda
It's been 4 days since I last posted.
If you consider that necro-posting, then you have no sense of time.
08/11/2013 12:31 am
Level 24 : Expert Network
NOTAVALIABLE
there are no downloads on that link...
08/12/2013 6:29 am
meymazda
If you had read the previous posts from the last few pages, you would have seen that it is still in development. Undergoing a major redesign from previous versions.
08/11/2013 12:21 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Hunter
JJJ512
Cool This is going to be cool
08/08/2013 5:37 pm
meymazda
I am still looking for texture makers!
Please post textures using the template in my previous post, as they may be used as the default textures once the game is released.
08/05/2013 7:49 pm
meymazda
Looking for texture makers!
Please make textures (using the template below) and post them here.
You are free to use textures you've already made, e.g. in a texture pack, as long as you are the original creator.
All of them will be archived for use on a list page later, but the best one will be used as the default texture pack.

Template:

[these are temporary textures; no mojang content will be used in the final release]

Note: All textures must be made by you (no unoriginal content! same as PMC rules).
08/05/2013 6:31 am
meymazda
Over the past month alot of coding and testing has been done, but I still don't find it public-release-worthy.

Most changes up to now have not been graphics related, so there are no textures on things like the dialog boxes and menus. Once I get them looking good, I will gladly upload some beta screenshots.

If you would like to become a beta tester, feel free to add me on skype and ask about it.
07/18/2013 7:28 pm
meymazda
Please disregard anything I have said previously concerning g-Build's discontinuation and/or compatibility with Windows 8.

I have resolved the issue of its incompatibility and I will be rebuilding it from the ground up as g-Build 2, with the help of the rest of the S3 STUDIOS members. Release date unknown, but more info will be posted to the main topic.

Thanks.
07/18/2013 7:52 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Engineer
Lucargia
Woot!
05/27/2013 9:20 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Pokemon
rileyjstrickland
stere0123
VaxelWhat will you be working on now that g-Build is dead? Whatever it is, I hope you are smart enough to make it in something other than GML.

It seems that this is all you care about. For a few months now you have been constantly suggesting that I change what it is coded in. It doesn't matter what it is coded in, it just matters what you make in it. I never changed code because it would take me a few months (atleast) to gain enough knowledge of another language to change to it, and doing that mid-development would have surely killed it. The next game I am making will probably be in GML, simply because I know exactly how to use it and I know its capabilities. You may suggest all you want, but GML has some potential. There are a fair few games made in GML that have become popular.

I have faith in GML. I will continue to code in it until I learn another language.

Also, with the new game I am making, I haven't even thought of what it will exactly be. All that has been decided is that it will be 2D and 'likely' made in GML.

If it would take you a few months to learn another language, you're not a programmer.
05/21/2013 12:34 am
Level 53 : Grandmaster Pirate
RevolutionalRedStone
Thanks for your support Vaxel.
Too bad it looks like your engine is not compatible enough with this team / project but as a programmer and a fan of G-Build i really can appreciate your efforts.
05/21/2013 2:40 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
Vaxel
Awwh Stere would never had said that. I feel so loved ^_^
05/20/2013 10:18 am
Vaxel
First off, the game I sent you had plenty of features. The game rendered in chunks, it had infinite terrain, and it had an editor for easy block adding, along with alpha support. It was everything you needed to get you going. I know this all leads back to the 'I have no Unity knowledge' thing, but you could learn D:

"I took a huge break in development because I actually have a life" - Are you implying that I don't have a life?

"I know how to program, just not in a language that you prefer." - I don't prefer any specific language, I was just implying that you should learn a new language. You've mad e it clear that you aren't going to be changing due to your lack of programming knowledge.

Also, here's a suggestion. Add a updates page to http://s3studios.tk. So, that way we can know what to expect for your new game ;D
05/20/2013 10:02 am
meymazda
-removed; information invalid-
05/20/2013 9:53 am
Vaxel
stere0123
VaxelWhat will you be working on now that g-Build is dead? Whatever it is, I hope you are smart enough to make it in something other than GML.

It seems that this is all you care about. For a few months now you have been constantly suggesting that I change what it is coded in. It doesn't matter what it is coded in, it just matters what you make in it. I never changed code because it would take me a few months (atleast) to gain enough knowledge of another language to change to it, and doing that mid-development would have surely killed it. The next game I am making will probably be in GML, simply because I know exactly how to use it and I know its capabilities. You may suggest all you want, but GML has some potential. There are a fair few games made in GML that have become popular.

I have faith in GML. I will continue to code in it until I learn another language.

Also, with the new game I am making, I haven't even thought of what it will exactly be. All that has been decided is that it will be 2D and 'likely' made in GML.

I've been suggesting that you change to another language because you can do so much more stuff, and boost performance by a long shot. I know you are determined to stay with GML, but in my opinion it's a bad choice. I agree that you need to stay with GML due to your lack of knowledge in any other language, but it seems to me that you aren't even trying to learn a new language.

You say you will continue to code in GML until you learn something else, but I doubt you have even looked at a tutorial for any other language besides GML. You won't learn until you try. I gave you a base project for Unity so you can create a new g-Build, but you never took advantage of that. You could have made a whole new g-Build, and kept g-Build alive. But no, you decided to take a huge break with the development of g-Build, and when you returned to the development, you then quit.

I vote that you learn a new language, and don't make games until you actually know how to program.
05/20/2013 1:38 am
meymazda
05/20/2013 1:13 am
Vaxel
What will you be working on now that g-Build is dead? Whatever it is, I hope you are smart enough to make it in something other than GML.
05/18/2013 6:15 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Artist
tricast01
well im depressed now.... hope you still develop things
05/13/2013 10:34 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Like44Midgets
Good Beta Version, Hope To See More Updates And I Will Keep Testing. (Change the bookcase texture... Pretty Sure Its Copywritten)
05/13/2013 10:46 pm
meymazda
You don't read the latest posts, do you?
05/13/2013 10:20 pm
RevolutionalRedStone
I program 3D games in assembly, and i can tell you a projects supported-ness is up-to the projects programmer.

Basic Instructions such as the 2-operand codes are completely supported across all generations of most architectures, but instructions like SIMD can be just as platform dependent as GML.

.I can give you guys a robust engine.
05/13/2013 6:04 pm
rileyjstrickland
superpeanut911
According to most people's repo's... Javascript, Ruby, and Java appear to be the most stable languages
https://github.com/languages

Repo and what will be supported are completely different.
For instance, most people don't program in Assembly, but Assembly will always be supported as the operating system is programmed in it (and usually C/C++)
05/13/2013 4:31 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Network
superpeanut911
rileyjstrickland
stere0123
rileyjstrickland
This is why you learn a language that won't die.
Examples:
C++,C,ASM
Examples for now:
C#, VB, Java

Nothing told me this language would die.

Common Sense should have.
It's a language written in a program written in a different language. At least with C++ it can be compiled be more than one person/program.

According to most people's repo's... Javascript, Ruby, and Java appear to be the most stable languages
https://github.com/languages
05/13/2013 4:25 pm
rileyjstrickland
stere0123
rileyjstrickland
Examples:
C++,C,ASM
Examples for now:
C#, VB, Java

Common Sense should have.
It's a language written in a program written in a different language. At least with C++ it can be compiled be more than one person/program.
05/13/2013 3:53 pm
meymazda
rileyjstrickland
Examples:
C++,C,ASM
Examples for now:
C#, VB, Java

05/13/2013 2:25 pm
rileyjstrickland
stere0123
g-Build is DEAD.

I don't know how to say this, but sadly, g-Build development has come to an abrupt end.

It seems that Windows 8 does not support the engine/program that g-Build uses to display the 3D world. I have upgraded to Windows 8 along with other computers in my house, and thus I have no way to develop g-Build per-say. I can easily run the software used to code g-Build, but for some odd reason the 3D world never shows. You may be thinking "Why not switch back to Windows 7?", and if you are, you do not see the point. The majority of Windows 7 users will eventually covert to Windows 8, and not being able to run the game on Windows 8 is major. There is no point in coding it if it isn't compatible with the new O/S everyone will eventually be using. It is the same as making a game for Windows 98 today.

I am sorry, but as a result of this major design flaw in the structure of GML, combined with little motivation and minimal support (maybe 5 supporting people out of the 2000+ downloaders), g-Build has come to an end.

You are probably asking, "What now? What happens to S3 STUDIOS?", and if you are, then you must be reading my mind. S3 STUDIOS will continue of course as it has no problems and will be the home for any future games I may make.

I apologize for letting you guys down (by giving hints of 0.8's features then just killing it), but don't worry, as I might be making other games in the near future. Whether they will be 3D or not, made in GML, or even exist hasn't been decided yet.

Thankyou for understanding.

TL;DR- g-Build is dead, and S3 STUDIOS is not.

Examples:
C++,C,ASM
Examples for now:
C#, VB, Java
05/13/2013 2:18 pm
meymazda
05/10/2013 6:08 pm
tricast01
ok
05/10/2013 5:19 pm
meymazda
Basically, I am at a relative's, and my laptop (the usual host) is thus there aswell. I tried moving to the old desktop but remembered that it isn't functioning properly so, basically, no server until monday. Nothing I can do.
05/05/2013 7:26 pm
tricast01
haha! keep up the good work

(Off topic: Your server is experiencing terrible lag spikes today)
05/04/2013 9:43 pm
meymazda

As you can see, development is still being done.
05/04/2013 3:38 pm
tricast01
btw stere when are you going to update the server?
05/04/2013 9:16 pm
meymazda
The bukkit update was only just released (1.5.2 beta) and I have updated. Everything *seems* to work but most of the plugins haven't been updated and thus may be buggy.
05/04/2013 12:12 am
tricast01
Great 0.8! Thank you for all the work you put into it!
05/03/2013 9:30 pm
Vaxel
stere0123
VaxelYou should change though. Any language would be better than GameMaker..

Also, you keep saying, "I only know how to use GameMaker". We understand that, but if you really want to be a programmer. You would stop saying, "I only know how to use GameMaker", and you would go learn C++, Java, or Unity3D. It's as simple as that. You won't learn anything else if you don't try.

While I am open to suggestions, I personally would like to stay with GML as it has pretty reasonable abilities, and it is (I cannot, for some reason, express this enough:) the only programming language I know white well.

Well, I tried. We can't force you to change your chosen language, but we encourage you to.
05/03/2013 9:28 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Dragon
Famousie0
i didnt get to play it. i opened it and it played the music...for about 10 minutes. then lagged my computer like all hell. then i closed it......
05/03/2013 9:39 pm
meymazda
Generally when loading an extremely large (over 256 size/height) level, the game cannot handle it and will subsequently crash. In 0.8 there will be a minimum and maximum size setting.
05/03/2013 8:59 pm
meymazda
VaxelYou should change though. Any language would be better than GameMaker..

Also, you keep saying, "I only know how to use GameMaker". We understand that, but if you really want to be a programmer. You would stop saying, "I only know how to use GameMaker", and you would go learn C++, Java, or Unity3D. It's as simple as that. You won't learn anything else if you don't try.

While I am open to suggestions, I personally would like to stay with GML as it has pretty reasonable abilities, and it is (I cannot, for some reason, express this enough:) the only programming language I know white well.
05/03/2013 8:55 pm
Vaxel
You should change though. Any language would be better than GameMaker..

Also, you keep saying, "I only know how to use GameMaker". We understand that, but if you really want to be a programmer. You would stop saying, "I only know how to use GameMaker", and you would go learn C++, Java, or Unity3D. It's as simple as that. You won't learn anything if you don't try.
05/03/2013 8:36 pm
meymazda
So far everyone has just criticized the language I have chosen to use.
If you can, please suggest messages for the main menu!
05/03/2013 4:42 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Network
superpeanut911
Java is a more than capable language for game making, and if you do make it in Java it can run on mac and Windows, and should be relatively simple to port to Android for mobile gaming too.
05/03/2013 4:44 pm
meymazda
I understand this, and if I knew any Java, I would gladly make it in Java. But, the only "real" programming language I know quite well is GML. I know several web languages quite fluently, but I know few programming languages.
05/03/2013 7:01 pm
Vaxel
Please, for the love of God. Don't make it in Java, and since you're only 13.. I doubt you know the required mathematics to make a 3D game. You'd be best off using the engine I sent you for Unity. If you were to attempt to make a 3D game. You'd need to know trig, advanced algorithms, calculus, ect. So, just use the engine I sent you for Unity3D. It has infinite/random terrain generation, and it loads the game in chunks. It's perfect for a new programmer like yourself.
05/03/2013 8:28 pm
meymazda
I don't know why you are going on about making this in a new language. It seems you didn't even read the post; I said the only language I know quite fluently (program-wise) is GML, and thus I am not changing it. Simple as that.
05/03/2013 4:22 pm
meymazda
g-Build 0.8 development is under way! I will really just be working off of the 0.7 source code, so don't expect any drastic changes (yet!).
I am currently just fixing little things that have annoyed me and updating the logos/etc, and adding new music (as this has been a tradition for each version).
While you can still suggest ideas, one thing I definitely need is menu messages for the title screen. Right now I have this:

but I think there should be more than 15! Suggest as many as you'd like and I will pick the ones that look good.
Note that while I have begun work on g-Build 0.8, it may still not be out for a week at least; This is why I will be trying to keep you up to date with the changes. Thanks!
04/29/2013 10:41 am
meymazda
RevolutionalRedStone
Vaxelif I had to vote - I'd choose C++.

If I write an engine for us G-build fans; it would be in C++.

Ofcoarse there's still the matter of game logic scripting ( A place where Mojang fell short ) i can offer efficient embed; Lua, Python or .Net JIT engine scripting.

Another interesting avenue might be possible display methods; within a 3D world like Minecraft; Polygon rendering is still king of resolution; but real time Ray-tracing offers massive render distances as well as free or cheap world-space effects such as reflective surfaces; global illumination and real-time pixel-perfect shadows.

I'm not sure how hard that would be to make, but if it isn't too bad, feel free to do so.
I am not really sure if I want to change from GML, but if you provide a good enough example of C++'s powers, or advantages over GML, then I may change.

Also, your signature is from "Pippa Passes" by Robert Browning; I had to memorize it recently for school. An interesting coincidence.
04/29/2013 10:19 am
RevolutionalRedStone
Vaxelif I had to vote - I'd choose C++.

If I write an engine for us G-build fans; it would be in C++.

Ofcoarse there's still the matter of game logic scripting ( A place where Mojang fell short ) i can offer efficient embed; Lua, Python or .Net JIT engine scripting.

Another interesting avenue might be possible display methods; within a 3D world like Minecraft; Polygon rendering is still king of resolution; but real time Ray-tracing offers massive render distances as well as free or cheap world-space effects such as reflective surfaces; global illumination and real-time pixel-perfect shadows.
04/29/2013 7:27 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Hunter
JJJ512
This is cool i'm going to play on it more. Tomorrow
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome