Building Help|Critiques

Escolence's Avatar Escolence11/23/13 5:54 pm
12/1/2013 2:34 pm
Ivain's Avatar Ivain
Building Help|Critiques

Description:
I am starting this forum for a place where people may post there builds to be critiqued. You might say this is similar to the building forum in general, but it is not. Here I am hoping to have high class builders judge each others work, and help builders of the PMC community grow in skill. You may critique, but I ask that you have a high skill of building to help others. Want to post a video to a helpful building tutorial? Go ahead! This forum is just for helping people with their building attributes/techniques.

Rules/What We Ask:
Escolence ask that you have respect for other people's builds, and always help if people ask for help. Be kind and considerate to others, and of course, friendly. No bad language, and like I said before, respect. Everyone here is hopefully trying to learn how to build better, so nice help is very appreciated. This is not a place to advertise, and definitely do not spam.

Formatting of Post:
-Post pictures/videos in spoilers, so there isn't a bunch of pages full of pictures or videos.
-Keep font small, for the same reason as the pictures/videos.
-Make everything readable. For example, we do not want a bunch of random colors in your post, different font sizes throughout words, etc.

List of Currently Dedicated Critique-rs:
Click to reveal
Escolence
sheasawesome
Fantasymaster

Want to Apply as a Dedicated Critique-r? Just PM Me!
Experience:
Would you be dedicated to helping others and critiquing work?:
(Note: If you don't have builds on your profile, include a link to some of your builds.)

Hope This Helps!
Escolence
Level 2 : Apprentice Artist

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Escolence
11/30/2013 8:29 pm
Bump
Malit_Harring
11/29/2013 3:13 pm
Level 21 : Expert Architect
I would love to hear some constructive criticism on my builds. I'm still trying to discover my style so refining some skills would help along way. I'm on my a mobile right now so know pictures but I do have a link to my profile http://www.planetminecraft.com/member/malit_harring/. Thanks in advance
Escolence
11/29/2013 7:05 pm
The thing I see that you can fix most throughout your builds is more contrasting/complementing colors, more depth/detail, and better terra-forming.
-Make a bigger palette of colors, so there is more of a variety throughout your projects/builds.
-Add some more depth/detail in walls and roofs. Like I said before, fixing this could be more colors, and more depth. By depth, I mean like detail in and out of your walls. To where it "pops" and makes you say wow. A good example would be cathedrals, really should have a lot of depth throughout build, and as well in real life, very detailed and beautiful.
-Adding some mountains, or whatever fits with what your trying to go for, will increase your builds a lot. One thing a good builder should strive for is making everything as realistic as they can. Even though it's a game, it is a art, and it just brings out more detail/depth in the build and overall enhances the experience.
Otherwise, your on your way to a great builder! I like your builds, just doing those things will overall enhance your projects. I hope this helped!

-Escolence
Escolence
11/29/2013 3:03 pm
-BUMP-
aboveordinary
11/29/2013 6:38 am
Level 43 : Master Engineer
This is a build tutorial on how to build a medieval style farm-house
Click to reveal
[yt]ovZzbokxR9A[/yt]
Ivain
12/01/2013 2:34 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
The farmhouse looks nice on the outside, but where do the people live, eat and sleep? the interior is a little random, a stable with a horse and nothing else.
Things you could add: a chest or some itemframes for horse gear, a bed on the attic for people to sleep, a table/furnace for eating and some food storage aside from melons and pumpkins (people can't live on that alone). The trees and wheat were a nice touch, but only in the Netherlands is the land so flat, so you should add some slight elevation, to make it look a bit more natural (also in the future some custom trees would help).
Things you could change: The entrance is a little flat, perhaps make it a bit more interesting. The torches are undecorated, not advisable for any build.

As for your tutorial, it is very clear, the only thing it needs is a bit more preparation and teamwork, as the guy building kind of blocked your view several times during the detailing part. also it seemed like you didnt really know beforehand what you were doing. So my big tip in tutorials is to do some research beforehand, look up some useful tips posted by other people and bring all of it together (without plagiarizing, of course).

But these are all very small and precise points. Overall, this was a great tutorial and a cool build, that should realy help some people learn to make medieval houses.
Lastly, here is a post that could be of some help for you, also in future tutorials :http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/furnishing-tips---poor-mans-house/
john122
11/29/2013 5:35 am
Level 28 : Expert Explorer
I want to Join
Look My profile...
But Im cracked D:
CaptainRavenAndre
11/29/2013 4:52 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Network
Also 1 more thing i tried deleting the front sails that go in front of the ship. And it looks alot better.. XD thanks for the advice
Escolence
11/29/2013 4:59 am
Haha, totally! No problem.
Escolence
11/29/2013 4:49 am
CaptainRavenAndre
Escolence
CaptainRavenAndreWell i really need it so here is the ship i made. Also the image isn't rendered so it looks crap. If you wanna see it closer you will have to download it.
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ ... andre-vip/

Add more detail to flags and your sides of the ship.
-Flag could be more 3d, popping more out and not just going straight. Maybe curving down a little, just to add some more depth.
-Sides of ship look to plain, adding some more variation of wood, and also adding more decoration. (Depth and Detail) A example could be trapdoors, etc.
-Couldn't see your interior, but from the picture, didn't look like it had any.
-I do not know why the white thing(flag?) is in front of the boat. Since it is curved, it looks like it would be catching wind, which doesn't make sense because that is not the way the boat is going from what the sails inform.
Everything else looks great! You have good potential in ship building, and I hope this helped!

The flag has curves just doesn't look like it from this angle
Also the front sails are curved a little in a way to gather the wind from behind. This ship was made for exact wind though. And if you mean the total front sail its there cause my example had. (swedish ship). But well i will think about how i could make it look better from your advice!

Ok, what you explained makes sense Glad I helped!
CaptainRavenAndre
11/29/2013 4:47 am
Escolence
CaptainRavenAndreWell i really need it so here is the ship i made. Also the image isn't rendered so it looks crap. If you wanna see it closer you will have to download it.

-Flag could be more 3d, popping more out and not just going straight. Maybe curving down a little, just to add some more depth.
-Sides of ship look to plain, adding some more variation of wood, and also adding more decoration. (Depth and Detail) A example could be trapdoors, etc.
-I do not know why the white thing(flag?) is in front of the boat. Since it is curved, it looks like it would be catching wind, which doesn't make sense because that is not the way the boat is going from what the sails inform.
Everything else looks great! You have good potential in ship building, and I hope this helped!

The flag has curves just doesn't look like it from this angle
Also the front sails are curved a little in a way to gather the wind from behind. This ship was made for exact wind though. And if you mean the total front sail its there cause my example had. (swedish ship). But well i will think about how i could make it look better from your advice!
CaptainRavenAndre
11/29/2013 4:02 am
Well i really need it so here is the ship i made. Also the image isn't rendered so it looks crap. If you wanna see it closer you will have to download it.
Escolence
11/29/2013 4:16 am

-Escolence
Escolence
11/29/2013 1:55 am
Nobody?
Escolence
11/28/2013 4:48 pm
-BUMP-
Escolence
11/24/2013 10:37 pm
-BUMP-
sheasawesome
11/23/2013 7:11 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Narwhal
Seems interesting. I sent a PM.
BigDaddy
11/23/2013 7:07 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Steve
Don't want to mini-mod, but you're only supposed to bump once every 24 hours. Just letting you know so the thread doesn't get locked.
Escolence
11/23/2013 7:04 pm
BUMP
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome