[POLL] Creative Server Types. I need your opinion!

schmidtbochum's Avatar schmidtbochum4/4/13 6:58 pm
1 emeralds 92
Dear Creative Community,

I'm currently working on a new main map and a new protection system for our public creative server The Colony

I want to satisfy as many players as possible, so I need your opinion! Please participate in the survey or write a comment

This is the story of our server:

Colony 1.0
We started with a simple flatmap (grass on level 5), without any active grief protection. So you could just join the server and destroy the creations. Players also started building anywhere, so the map looked really messy. This map lasted 2 weeks.

Colony 2.0
Colony 2.0 was a custom map, made with Worldpainter. It was a big island with lots of flat land, and large mountains in the middle. The problem was, nobody built on the water or on the mountain slope, it was just a lot of wasted space. There was optional land protection, most of the players didn't use it though.
At the end of Colony 2.0, a group of players built a "highspeed rail system" (diamond blocks with rails and tons of redstone torches floating in the air). It was really ugly and useless, and we were unable to remove it.
At the end, the map looked like Colony 1.0, and the terrain was almost useless. The map lasted for about a month

Colony 3.0
After the Colony 2.0 desaster, we decided to whitelist the server. The server had mutiple worlds for projects and a flat main world. After a while (3 weeks), there were only 5 active players left, the server died.

Colony 4.0
After the whitelist disaster, we went public again. To prevent griefing, new players had to get "member status" to build. That means new players could only join while the staff was online. There was still no active protection, just optional protected zones. The map was flat again. We cleaned the map every weekend (delete the diamond huts etc.). This map lasted for about a month.

Colony 5.0
Finally active protection! Colony 5.0 was a large flat map. We used the plugin GriefPrevention: Players had to define protected zones on the map, it was not possible to build on public land. That means: It's almost impossible to grief, and the Staff is able to delete buildings easily. This worked for about 3 months, after various map extensions. Problems: Small claims blocked a lot of building space, so it was hard to find land for a megaproject. The system is also unhandy when you want to extend a building (you have to claim another piece of land or extend your existing claim). At the end, we had a map full of separated buildings. This map lasted more than 3 months, and it was a good time.

Colony 6.0
Our current map is a custom-made terrain map. I designed my own height maps using fractals and perlin noise. This time I made my own protection plugin ChunkClaim: You can claim "chunk" (16x16 areas) and build in them. Of course, you can claim hundres of chunks, but many players don't understand that and build mini houses :/
Problem of this map and the system: First of all, there is no flat space for megaprojects on the map, and there are so many empty claimed chunks. After 7 months, this map is also boring and crowded. Time for a new map

Project Maps
Many of the advanced players have their own world made for their project, like my Venice Project.

The Future: Colony 7

The Chunk System actually worked better than any other systems. Chunk are just so small.
We wan't to motivate our players to build larger structures.

Some players requested flat land for megastructures, some want to see awesome terrain, some just want a default map (We never had a default map because trees and large oceans are just blocked building space).

Another feature request: WorldEdit for normal players.

My idea:
A large world with custom terrain (made with professional world generation tools) with about 40% flat land, 10% ocean and 50% hills/mountains.
Instead of small chunks, players will claim 80x80 plots (without roads). Most of the "acceptable" buildings on our server are between 40 and 80 blocks wide. For larger buildings, players could still claim multiple plots.
This system also motivates players to decorate the land around their buildings, or to build cities instead of single houses.

Also, it is possible to limit WorldEdit to a single plot, so we can give it to all players.

What do you think?
schmidtbochum
Level 21 : Expert Architect