My renaissance/King's Landing inspired city

Cash Banks's Avatar Cash Banks11/16/14 6:50 am
1 emeralds 398 1
11/16/2014 7:39 am
mekbots's Avatar mekbots
Hey everyone, this is a little project I've been chipping away at the last year or so. It started off as a plan to build a King's Landing inspired castle on a rock, and it kind of escalated..

Aerial views:
You can see the main castle on the right.
I've kind of committed to the stone bricks/sandstone highlights theme as you can probably tell. The project was initially limited to the larger buildings surrounding the castle, but once I discovered MCEDIT I couldn't resist expanding. While most of it is my design, I have lifted some of the buildings from maps like Osgiliath and some of the Medieval building packs.

Fun fact, the lake on the right is entirely artificial, I spawned in the middle of a plains biome, which I eventually decided wasn't grand enough for the castle and added the lake in to make it even more like King's Landing.

Godswood
I was reading a lot of Game of Thrones at the time. Netherack used for the Heart tree.
On the left you can see a mountain with a dragon's mouth on top, this is the entrance to a dragon pitt, haven't used it much since I rarely have the dragon mod loaded these days.

Colosseum
This started off as just an experiment with tnt mods to see how big of a hole I could make. Then I watched Gladiator and it escalated from there. The center features four piston hidden stairs and a central piston elevator platform.

Galleria
Inspired by the Galleria Umberto in Napoli, I haven't really found a use for it yet, but it looks pretty cool.

The inspiration

Couldn't resist throwing in an Argonath (credit to whoever originally designed it)

Atlas statue
Let me know if you have any suggests for making this a little more recognizably human.

Catacombs
The latest project, pretty fun, it was all made to give a decent entrance to the giant skull in the last pic. They link up to a network of sewers beneath the city, I love hiding secret piston doors leading to passageways everywhere.

Once I'm happy with the catacombs I'll probably expand the city out to surround the Colosseum, eventually it'll probably surround the whole lake if I can be bothered.
Cash Banks
Level 54 : Grandmaster Architect