Help building a No-Mods-No-Commands Gauss Rifle?

Hive_Mind's Avatar Hive_Mind3/10/16 3:53 am
1 emeralds 1.1k 10
3/17/2016 3:57 am
Hive_Mind's Avatar Hive_Mind
So usually I post tutorials on here and help other people build things, but now I need help.

A gauss rifle, also called a rail gun, rapidly accelerates a projectile by using alternating magnets. Obviously I'm not going to be able to pull that off in Minecraft, but I can make a similar design I think, I just can't figure out how to time it perfectly.

First it's important to realize that explosions can affect projectiles, including arrows. Make a machine which shoots both arrows and TNT straight down, and you'll see what I mean: some of the arrows will "bounce" with every explosion.

So I was hoping that you could use a considerable amount of specifically placed explosives to super-accelerate an arrow down a barrel.

But no matter what I do, I only get two results: the arrow just flops on the ground like a normal arrow, or it disappears entirely.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how I could make this work.
Hive_Mind
Level 36 : Artisan Engineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/14/2016 6:40 am
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
JozyP
Arrow? Dont use an arrow. Use an armorstand that has a particle trail and causes damage to entities near it.
03/17/2016 3:57 am
Hive_Mind
I'm on Console Edition. We have Armor Stands but I'm pretty sure I can't do the rest of that lol. Also Armor Stands can't be fired from Dispensers and would be destroyed by the explosion unlike arrows...wouldn't they? I've never actually tried to blow up an armor stand.
Skitto493I'm afraid you might have to use commands (not for the cannon itself, but to find the arrow)

I would go into Spectator mode, and continually teleport to the arrow.

Also: this video might help creating an accurate cannon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnY0AZMF3Xs

Console edition here so the "No Mods, No Commands" approach is more by necessity than by choice (I like using no commands or mods to build, but I would definitely use it to find the arrow if I could).

I actually did find one arrow...it was well over a hundred blocks away, in a non-linear direction from where it fired. The Gauss Cannon works conceptually (accelerating projectiles besides TNT by using condensed TNT Minecart explosions) but...it certainly needs some tweaking before I make it available to the public

Here's my video for a Sniper Cannon capable of shooting 12 TNT, some of which will fly further than 700 blocks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzhvRCOC5RY

On Console Edition, you can only have 12 TNT "hissing" at any one time, so unfortunately the video you posted wouldn't work for me. Thanks still!

Also, that cannon was my first YouTube video so excuse any confusion in the tutorial if you watch it lol. I want to redo that tutorial sometime soon.
03/13/2016 11:57 pm
Hive_Mind
Surprisingly I think I got it to work with fairly little effort, BUT now I have a new problem. I have no way of testing where the arrows are landing. If I put a wall in front of the Gauss Cannon, it shoots the arrows at a higher level than where they were fired from, but if I remove the wall I have a hard time finding the arrows. I tried using Fire Arrows but those appeared to not really work. Any suggestions?
03/14/2016 12:28 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Dragon
Skitto493
I'm afraid you might have to use commands (not for the cannon itself, but to find the arrow)

I would go into Spectator mode, and continually teleport to the arrow.

Also: this video might help creating an accurate cannon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnY0AZMF3Xs
03/11/2016 2:22 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Network
Flappo
Maybe this helps? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3Ix6pozZ-U
It helped me a lot..
03/11/2016 3:23 pm
Hive_Mind
Very useful for Minecraft in general, but unfortunately not at all useful for building a Gauss Rifle lol. Thanks still
03/11/2016 7:22 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Mage
ssproad
Have you thought about using slimeblpcks?
03/11/2016 2:08 pm
Hive_Mind
No I haven't, how could slime blocks affect a moving arrow? Not a rhetorical question, I'm actually curious lol, I don't know as much about slime blocks as I should.
03/10/2016 10:11 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Architect
Zwil
Is this for a map or like a defence for a survival base on a server?
03/11/2016 5:13 am
Hive_Mind
Just for fun and FOR SCIENCE!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome