Procedural Path/Map Generation

Statistical's Avatar Statistical1/7/14 12:39 am
1 emeralds 265 2
1/7/2014 12:43 am
Langet's Avatar Langet
Procedural Path Generation
I needed to create random paths for a game I am making, this is the result.

It starts with the basic module:
Click to reveal

A path can be created after you join a bunch of these modules together. They don't have to be in a grid like the picture below. As long as modules lead from the start to the end(s) it will work.
Green arrow is the start, orange arrows are possible ends

You can start the path from any of the modules and end on any of the modules depending on how you set it up. Here's some paths it created:
demo paths

Explanation

Every time a module receives a pulse it will activate all of it's randomizers that have not already been locked. There is a chance each randomizer will turn on and lock (currently 1/7) and turn on the adjacent module. The process is repeated until the path reaches one of the ends. (see map download for working example)

More interesting paths are created because the randomizers turn on the connections between modules rather than the entire module. (see picture) Depending on how you integrate this design into maps this could be changed to activate the entire module or even have one-way paths between modules.
Click to reveal

Download: (Map + Module Schematic)
MediaFire

What do you guys think? If you have any questions or ideas please leave them below!

-Statistical
Statistical
Level 38 : Artisan Electrician