Cryin' Shame

Grand Duke's Avatar Grand Duke12/17/13 1:11 pm
1 emeralds 407 9
12/18/2013 12:10 am
Yuki's Avatar Yuki
Such a shame that you can't have individual arms or legs. I have many skins in mind that would require individual arms/legs to look the way they were intended. I had planned on doing a Hunter: The Reckoning collection but one, possibly two, characters have unique arm/leg textures. I may be able to do either a Redeemer collection or a Wayward collection so all may not be lost.

For all you skinners out there, there's a free idea for you guys and gals. Personally I would like a really good Judge skin. I don't think I did too bad but to be honest there are better people to make it.
Grand Duke
Level 18 : Journeyman Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Yuki
12/18/2013 12:10 am
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Bunny
insomniac_lemonFor one, if they did this, they'd likely refactor player skins to use space much differently, as was demonstrated a suggestion that Mojang may or may not have seen. Regardless, there is not enough room on the skin textures to add another arm/leg.

Could they not make the skin canvas larger allowing space for the separate arms and legs?

insomniac_lemonBut, knowing Mojang, nothing could ever go that smoothly......

This...
Grand Duke
12/17/2013 2:44 pm
Makes sense.
Grand Duke
12/17/2013 2:29 pm
I always thought that the Villager arms aren't separate they are one texture panel.
insomniac_lemon
12/17/2013 2:39 pm
Level 40 : Master Pixel Painter
Sort of no..... The "top half" of their arms uses one texture (1 texture used for both, not mirrored like all other mob arms). And then their "wrists" are made of 1 rectangle that has its own texture. This is how some artist turn "monk-like crossed arms" into "stubby nubbs".....

Heck, you can see it in my signature, the villager on the right has stripes down until the corner, because that's the section that isn't mirrored. The villager on the left has detail that also shows it's not mirrored.

Vanilla villager textures also have a capital "L" on each arm of their robes that makes it obvious.

Which now that I think about it.... not sure why someone would give it a directional detail like that that sort of follows the arms shape, and then not mirror the texture :/
insomniac_lemon
12/17/2013 1:54 pm
Level 40 : Master Pixel Painter
Yes, and the part that bothers me more than this is Villagers' skins. Their arms use the same texture and it's not even mirrored. So it's either no good texture, or have to right elbows. I wish Mojang would get on with custom models and hopefully custom texture mappings that it would require.

Yuki
1) The creator of their skins put in the effort to copy/paste the existing arms and legs to make both work
Or
2) Mojang implement some code (this would be very difficult I would assume) so that skins that already existing skins/skins with only one arm and/or leg created will duplicate it for the other side of the body.

It probably wouldn't happen like that.

For one, if they did this, they'd likely refactor player skins to use space much differently, as was demonstrated a suggestion that Mojang may or may not have seen. Regardless, there is not enough room on the skin textures to add another arm/leg.

Before releasing a new skin format, Mojang could temporarily shut down the skin server, and process all of the skins to convert them to the new format. Then, they could create a color-coded template along with explanation so people could easily make skins in the new format.

But, knowing Mojang, nothing could ever go that smoothly......
Yuki
12/17/2013 1:19 pm
Apparently Mojang are/were thinking about making it so that the arms and legs of skins would be asymmetrical, I'm unsure of what's happening with that, but I would love to see it happen.
n8mo
12/17/2013 1:28 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Prince
As would I, but it would break every existing skin.
xer0
12/17/2013 1:36 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Architect
Not necessarily, considering the millions of Minecraft players, and the number of skins (which are probably greater in number,) there would most definitely be a "Legacy" skin system in place for at least a couple of updates before (if ever) the old skin loading would be removed entirely.
Yuki
12/17/2013 1:34 pm
Yes, it would...however there are, the way I see it, two fixes to that.
1) The creator of their skins put in the effort to copy/paste the existing arms and legs to make both work
Or
2) Mojang implement some code (this would be very difficult I would assume) so that skins that already existing skins/skins with only one arm and/or leg created will duplicate it for the other side of the body.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome