Need a texture artist's wiki

Vexilius's Avatar Vexilius10/10/14 6:57 am
1 emeralds 210 2
10/10/2014 7:01 am
Vexilius's Avatar Vexilius
The last couple of months I've been tinkering at all kinds of resourcepacks and there is one thing I can tell you for sure. Gathering information in order to get familiar with the workings of a texturepack and how to create your own is incredibly tedious as it's usually spread all over the internet, ranging from heavily outdated unintelligible blogs of the poorest quality up to extremely niche tutorials pulled from the deep web. It's also quite difficult to find an expert who is willing to part with some wisdom. It's a real shame, considering all the untapped potential resourcepacks hold.

Most texturers I've come across seem to struggle with things like CTM textures, biome and height specific textures and metadata blocks. Then there are things such as bumpmapping for shaders and 3D modeling in 1.8. Finding extensive tutorials on these subjects can prove to be quite a challenge at times and in the worst case scenario no tutorial even exists.

As someone who is mostly self taught, I'm willing to share my knowledge with any aspiring texturer. There's only so many of us, so we gotta stick together.
Vexilius
Level 17 : Journeyman Grump