Video Editing Discussion

User_Created's Avatar User_Created2/1/13 12:02 am
2/3/2013 1:42 am
bell1020's Avatar bell1020
So? You're a new video maker? You feel that your videos aren't reaching full potential?

Here is an area where you can discuss editing techniques and share websites with free music on them.

First things first, If you're wanting to make a decent quality video with good edits you'll need to use higher end software such as Premier Pro or Sony Vegas not Window Live Movie Maker. You might be able to find some free software for linux/ubuntu. If you do please let everyone know, Free software is happy software.

Other software is available however may lack some editing techniques, always work with what you're comfortable with... You'll find it easier that way.

A few tips you should know first to get you started:

Edits:
Click to reveal
1. Transitions - These are the effects between two clips, try to only stick to fades/dissolve and cuts, other transitions are very overdone and look way too fancy for a basic let's play, you don't want to blow up your viewers brain, you're simply wanting to go to the next scene.

2. Overlays - When you have an overlay like maybe an achievement notification you don't want it to stand out more than the video, it's a quick notification to signify and event has happened or is happening, not to take over the video, make it small but good enough quality to see.

3. Rendering (Resolution) - When rendering people sometimes record in 720p or lower and then render their video out in 1080p, in doing so you'll be making your video streched and may ruin a gorgeous crisp video.
It's more than likely people watch in 480p anyway, as long as there is an option for HD, people are happy, Only render 1080p if your original source video was recorded in that resolution.

4. Rendering (File Formats)- Different file formats are used for different things, Some are compressed lowering the video quality and others are simply kept the same, when a video is compressed the file size is smaller - that's good right? No. It's not good, the smaller the file the worse the quality, when a video is compressed it removes less important pixels so that there are less to render on playback.
I'll show a few commonly used file formats so that you can see what different ones are used for:

Click to reveal
3GP – the most common video format for cell phones.
(Small, low quality)

MPEG-4 or MP4 – multimedia container (most often used for Sony's PlayStation Portable and Apple's iPod)
(Medium size - good quality, not best)

AVI – container (a shell, which enables any form of compression to be used)
(Huge file size - best quality *FRAPS uses this file format)

AVCHD – Advanced Video Codec High Definition
(Again like AVI, huge files, use this for a project but don't render the video out in this format)

The Use of Music and Legal stuffs:
When you're using music that is copyright and you don't have the permission from the creator you can get in serious trouble, especially if you're earning some sort of revenue from it, ALWAYS make sure you've either got consent from the creator or network that own rights to the song you wish to use.

You can get some fairly decent copyright free / royalty free music from:
http://freeplaymusic.com/search/

1. Legal Stuff - Like said above make sure that the artist of the song you're wanting to use knows you're using it, you'll also need a response from the artist, agreeing. If the artist is with a network such as Ultra Records, you should contact the network.

2. Fading & Volume - Music, like video can be faded out so that speech can be heard, you don't want to drown out a persons dialogue with music, you've probably noticed at one point a person pointing out that a video maker needs to "turn down their game volume down, can't hear the commentator".

If you know anymore please share them
User_Created
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner